• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pre-book accommodation?

5Vincent

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk in 2018
I am planning to walk the Camino Francés in July & August. Apologies if this information is available elsewhere, but I’m not sure whether I need (or can) to book accommodation for each night in advance. Please could someone advise?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
July and August are very crowded months. If I was you, I would book for the fist two nights (SJPdP & Roncesvalles??).

Buen Camino & Ultreia!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Many pilgrims use booking.com or hotels.com to book when things appear crowded.
Booking while walking during the day is usually early enough.

The main concern with pre-booking is that it pre determines where you must stop each night.
It takes away the option to walk further or to stop early if desired. It also may separate you from new friends you will meet along the way as they will be staying somewhere else.

I would book advanced reservations in Biarritz, SJPdP, Orrison, Roncesvalles, Pamplona, and Santiago...and for hotel rooms try booking.com or for B&B rooms try tripadvisor.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am planning to walk the Camino Francés in July & August. Apologies if this information is available elsewhere, but I’m not sure whether I need (or can) to book accommodation for each night in advance. Please could someone advise?

I would say play it by ear as you go. If you will arrive at your destination early in the day, most places will have accommodations for you. Especially if you are solo and don't have to find more than one bed in an albergue. Bring an up-to-date guidebook or phone app like WisePilgrim, which will give you contact info. for albergues and pensiones in coming towns, if you think you might need it. If you get the sense there will be a bottleneck, with a lot of pilgrims arriving in one town at the same time, you can book ahead while you walk (if you don't speak Spanish, you can ask someone working in a bar along the way or in your previous albergue to call for you... most are happy to do it). You will get a feel for this as you walk, as pilgrims are always talking about it. I did this occasionally when I read about a nice albergue I wanted to stay in or when I wanted to walk until later in the day and didn't want to worry about it.

The problem with booking everything in advance is that you don't have the freedom to decide as you go where you want to stop and stay. That's a really nice thing on the Camino.

I would book advanced reservations in Biarritz, SJPdP, Orrison, Roncesvalles, Pamplona, and Santiago...and for hotel rooms try booking.com or for B&B rooms try tripadvisor.

I would only book one or max. 2 days. You never know how long you want to walk every day (depending on weather, your condition that day,...).

If you intend to stay mostly in albergues, I would take a camino guide as gronze instead of a more generic site.
Gronze (https://www.gronze.com/) is in Spanish, but you just need to know like 5 or 7 words to understand it (... google translate ;)). There you will find all the albergues, contact phone and email, cost, period in which they are open, distances,...

Gronze (https://www.gronze.com/) is in Spanish, but you just need to know like 5 or 7 words to understand it (... google translate ;)). There you will find all the albergues, contact phone and email, cost, period in which they are open, distances,...

Or you could use the very much in English site: www.wisepilgrim.com with a bit more information and links to booking.com for both cities and individual properties.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We booked all 33 nights in advance with followthrcamino.com as well as lugguge forwarding.

We booked all 33 nights in advance with followthrcamino.com as well as lugguge forwarding.

We are happy this worked well for you.
However....it may be good to point out for those planning a Camino that pre-booking to this extent is very unusual.

Most folks book the first couple of nights and then simply book themselves on a daily basis... if needed.
Really is a simple thing and does no require a third party.
Booking. com or hotels. Com for most things.
Guidebook or hospitalero for albergues.

Long range booking can limit where and when you stop.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back