• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pre-book or risk it?

Audreyvonb

Time of past OR future Camino
June-July 2018
My husband and I have our travel plans booked to Biarritz, as well as a flight home from Madrid. Do people suggest pre-booking travel from Biarritz to SJPDP, as well as travel from Santiago to Madrid (we were looking at flights but how variable are those in price and availability?)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Where are you flying in from? US, UK, Australia?
Generally flights increase in price the closer you are to a departure date.
But if were flying short haul to get home you probably have more options.
We fly from Australia, so we lock in our flights to and from the European port of entry.
Then we book our travel to our start point i.e. St Jean. No reason not to.

The flight/train to our European port of exit is booked generally a week out, (a week out from finishing Camino) in case plans change.
i.e. Santiago to Madrid.

Others will have other ideas........ :)

Where are you flying in from? US, UK, Australia?
Generally flights increase in price the closer you are to a departure date.
But if were flying short haul to get home you probably have more options.
We fly from Australia, so we lock in our flights to and from the European port of entry.
Then we book our travel to our start point i.e. St Jean. No reason not to.

The flight/train to our European port of exit is booked generally a week out, (a week out from finishing Camino) in case plans change.
i.e. Santiago to Madrid.

Others will have other ideas........ :)
We're flying from the US and have our major flights booked. Booking a week out is a good idea!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you know when you need to be in Madrid to fly home, I'd definitely book that flight if you're walking in the busy summer months.

There are no reserved seats on the train from Bayonne to SJPdP, so buying in advance is not necessary. They seem to sell unlimited seats; most of the train is standing. When a bus substitutes for the train, the number of seats is limited. I don't know if they add buses, or have passengers wait for the next bus. I am not sure SNCF will answer a question on that, but you can ask them.

Trains from Santiago do sell out, so reserving a seat is a good idea. Planes fill, so if you want a flight, reserving is a good idea.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When I ended my first Camino at the end of September I was able to easily book a train to Madrid just a few days ahead. Last year when I finished in August all the trains and some of the buses were fully booked. So it does make a big difference when you are traveling.

My husband and I have our travel plans booked to Biarritz, as well as a flight home from Madrid. Do people suggest pre-booking travel from Biarritz to SJPDP, as well as travel from Santiago to Madrid (we were looking at flights but how variable are those in price and availability?)

Id book a bus to Madrid economic way to travel you can book in advance see a bit more of Spain check the timetables etc and book one that gets you in time for your longhaul flight home.....if you need to leave Santi earlier cost of coach cheaper to sacrifice or hire a car for few days or just chill theres lots of places to fill your time.Yes book Biarritz Airpory shgare shuttle I didnt know about it was full when I phoned when i landed so spent 4 hrs in transit plus taxi fare to Bayonne - station area under huge reconstruction not very inspiring or just vite the bullet if there's 2 of you and get a taxi direct. I met some lovely people whilst waiting but going to Bayonne further away than Biarritz .Happy travelling Deb

I booked my train trip from Santiago to Madrid once I arrived in Santiago. It wasn’t an issue at all. It was good to talk to someone at the Renfe office.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Knowing the date and place of my long distance flight home, I usually book a flight or train to that place from Santiago. To arrive an my embarkation city the day before my flight. Because you never know - train drivers strike or the BA computers at Heathrow might go down....

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back