• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pre-Booking Bag Transfer

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Yeah, this is really me posting this :eek:. I have no experience whatsoever in sending bags ahead, other than seeing little envelopes in reception areas of albergues and hostals, so need some help here :rolleyes:.

I am taking a group on the camino in September, and two of them want their bags transferred :confused:. I have pre-booked all the accommodation (private albergues and hotels), so we know exactly where we are staying every night.

I looked at the Jacotrans website, but it is not user-friendly.

Which is the best transfer company to pre-book with, so my two group members can book, and pay, ahead of time, so they can walk stress-free? (me too ;))

Jill

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very easy to book baggage transfers on a day to day basis. I think there has been a lot of discussion about this in previous threads.

I did this with Jacotrans 2 years ago. Emailed them the hotel list, rather than using the website, they responded quickly with the price, we paid by credit card in advance. Worked like clockwork.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I used Camino Facil last year. 20 stops and perfect every time. Highly recommended and easy to notebook on their website.

Which is the best transfer company to pre-book with, so my two group members can book, and pay, ahead of time, so they can walk stress-free? (me too ;))
While trying to find bus schedule information this morning I blundered onto this website which you may (or may not) find useful: https://www.pilbeo.com/en

Yeah, this is really me posting this :eek:. I have no experience whatsoever in sending bags ahead, other than seeing little envelopes in reception areas of albergues and hostals, so need some help here :rolleyes:.

I am taking a group on the camino in September, and two of them want their bags transferred :confused:. I have pre-booked all the accommodation (private albergues and hotels), so we know exactly where we are staying every night.

Jill
Could I ask you where you decided to pre-book at? I am in the process of trying to decide my lodging and it is momentarily feeling overwhelming with the very little bit of time I have on the schedule. Any advice sure would be greatly appreciated!! :) Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Could I ask you where you decided to pre-book at? I am in the process of trying to decide my lodging and it is momentarily feeling overwhelming with the very little bit of time I have on the schedule. Any advice sure would be greatly appreciated!! :) Thanks!

Hi Lisa, we are not leaving until September, so nothing decided yet. Perhaps look at the excellent replies above, follow the links, and see what looks best for you. Camino Facil appears very user-friendly for booking on their website. Good luck!
Jill

Hi, I was looking to have my bags transferred from stop to stop on the Camino Frances but its looking too costly, I was up to 90 Euro and that was only up to 10 days into my walk, Najera!!!... Re-thinking my plans, I'll maybe carry a light-ish back pack and survive on less gear.
Post Camino, I am continuing my holiday travels onto Portugal (trains not walking!!) I want to pack another small suit case and send this one from SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela. Has anyone done this, who with, and if so, what did it cost??

Hi, I was looking to have my bags transferred from stop to stop on the Camino Frances but its looking too costly, I was up to 90 Euro and that was only up to 10 days into my walk, Najera!!!... Re-thinking my plans, I'll maybe carry a light-ish back pack and survive on less gear.
Post Camino, I am continuing my holiday travels onto Portugal (trains not walking!!) I want to pack another small suit case and send this one from SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela. Has anyone done this, who with, and if so, what did it cost??

Jill,

For more in English on sending your luggage and/or backpack from within Spain at a reasonable cost to SdC see Luggage Transfer in this Spanish Post Office/Correos web.

Late October 2015 after falling I used the Correos transport for my pack from Najera to Santo Domingo de La Calzada. The cost was 4 euros and the service was great. You can book via your smartphone/ text message. Too bad that they could not carry me along with the pack!

Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ivar offers luggage storage in Santiago
http://www.casaivar.com/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/index.html

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/casa-ivar-in-santiago.183/

I have used Jactotrans, Correos and Camino Facil. In September of 2016, I prebooked with Camino Facil from Astorga to SDC. Their performance was perfect, bags picked up promptly each day, delivered perfectly by the late morning to our next stop. I printed out their transfer tickets after I booked, and tied one on to each backpack the morning before I left. I can't speak more highly of their service.

I have used Jactotrans, Correos and Camino Facil. In September of 2016, I prebooked with Camino Facil from Astorga to SDC. Their performance was perfect, bags picked up promptly each day, delivered perfectly by the late morning to our next stop. I printed out their transfer tickets after I booked, and tied one on to each backpack the morning before I left. I can't speak more highly of their service.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
StFina!
This sounds wonderful. I am really hoping to use a transport system as well for my backpack. My concern is trying to figure out all 33 of my alberques ahead of time. (going per the Brierly route) I'm assuming that this is something that needs to be done with advance notice if choosing to use a service.... no?

I leave on Camino May 13.

Thank you!
Lisa

StFina!
This sounds wonderful. I am really hoping to use a transport system as well for my backpack. My concern is trying to figure out all 33 of my alberques ahead of time. (going per the Brierly route) I'm assuming that this is something that needs to be done with advance notice if choosing to use a service.... no?

I leave on Camino May 13.

Thank you!
Lisa
No, it's not necessary to pre-book all your accommodations in order to use a transport service. I believe that you just need to decide the night before where you will stay the next day. Maybe even in the morning before you leave. I'm not positive, because I didn't use a service, but know people that did, and they didn't have everything lined up ahead of time.

Thank you, St Fina! This is good to know!

A follow up question. I was hoping to use the Curo Purizon option for my shuttle & lodging for the first night going into SJPD. But have since come to the understanding that due to a family emergency this is no longer an option. Does anybody else have an option/similar service that I may want to consider as to help make my transition into SJDP as seamless/effortless as possible? Thank you in advance!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you, St Fina! This is good to know!

A follow up question. I was hoping to use the Curo Purizon option for my shuttle & lodging for the first night going into SJPD. But have since come to the understanding that due to a family emergency this is no longer an option. Does anybody else have an option/similar service that I may want to consider as to help make my transition into SJDP as seamless/effortless as possible? Thank you in advance!
No, there is nothing else like Corazon Puro, where I stayed last year. I plan on using this taxi service to St Jean from the Pamplona train station. It's spendy, but they say that if you want, they will match you up with other pilgrims to share the cost.

Hi All, we used Camino Facil last year and they were brilliant but they are not covering the route we are walking in May. I contacted the postal service and Jacotrans but neither of them are covering our route!
Would anyone know who might cover Bilabo - Castro urdiales - Laredo - Santander?
Many thanks x

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I printed out their transfer tickets after I booked, and tied one on to each backpack the morning before I left. I can't speak more highly of their service.

How did you print out the tickets? (did all hostels have printers that they are happy for you to use?)

Jill,

For more in English on sending your luggage and/or backpack from within Spain at a reasonable cost to SdC see Luggage Transfer in this Spanish Post Office/Correos web.

Late October 2015 after falling I used the Correos transport for my pack from Najera to Santo Domingo de La Calzada. The cost was 4 euros and the service was great. You can book via your smartphone/ text message. Too bad that they could not carry me along with the pack!

Good luck and Buen camino!

Assuming you will walkon CF....
USE CORREOS! They are cheaper and very efficient. I have also used caminofacil. Both systems allow you to book on line. Correos - I found their online system a bit harder to use from USA. However with emails got it right. They will charge by the section...which is cheaper for those who do not want to walk long distances per day. So Valcarlos to Pamplona was 10 euro....if you are not a speedy walker it is a great deal! They respond promptly to assist you if you have a problem with the website, Bag weight limit is 20kilo.My sister has some medical issues so we send some medical equipment ahead.

Caminofacil’s website works well. Bag weight limit 15kilo. Each bag was 6 euros per section. Over 5 sections of use and, I believe, they reduce price by .5 euro per day. If you were to book both suitcases under one name you could save another euro! Camino facial will allow you to print out the tags to put on the bag each day! Kept the future labels in the bag.

If you change plans after starting there is a change fee.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Assuming you will walkon CF....
USE CORREOS!

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. We walked in September last year.
Jill

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Sorry, it somehow popped up under what’s new, I think?... on my computer...so I did not look at dates. Will try and be more vigilant..

Hi All, we used Camino Facil last year and they were brilliant but they are not covering the route we are walking in May. I contacted the postal service and Jacotrans but neither of them are covering our route!
Would anyone know who might cover Bilabo - Castro urdiales - Laredo - Santander?
Many thanks x

As noted above, much of this thread is from 2017. However, as of 2018, Correos is covering Bilbao-Santander and intermediate stops (https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/camino/camino-del-norte-the-northern-way).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Jill
Hi Jill, we used http://www.correos.es/. The cost for five days was €20.00 per person, we booked in advance and it worked like clockwork, each day you mark your next destination on the envelope provided, I also made out luggage labels for our destinations as add precaution. Each time we arrived our bags were at our destination before we were. Would recommend Correos :) May 2018 so fairly recent when we used the service. Oops just noticed it’s an old posting, but hey I’m sure somebody will be glad of the info ;)

Realize that someone posted a comment before me this morning so that is how it got into “what’s new”.... Probably would be a good idea if people started a new thread. I read many of the comments, but not necessarily allow them.....

Realize that someone posted a comment before me this morning so that is how it got into “what’s new”....

Hi, it’s the “OLDER threads on this topic” below the last post that is the culprit.

Of the 5 threads that are currently showing (for me), below your last post, one is from 2014 (entitled “Pre-booking accommodation in SJPDP”), and one is from 2013 (entitled “Staying in Bayonne without pre-booking”).

Both are obviously irrelevant in 2018, but members see only the title, not the date, and jump in with a post thinking they are being helpful.

I usually ignore all these old resurrected irrelevant threads, and I believe they are totally clogging up the forum, but as the thread-starter on this one I felt I should reply :).

Jill

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back