• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pre Camino anxiety

Joodle

Time of past OR future Camino
CF May 10th- June 21st 2016
VDLP March-April 2017
CF coming up April-May
Is it just a normal thing to start feeling kind of irritable and having crazy Camino dreams about 4 weeks before you leave for your Camino. I can't place my finger on why I'm feeling anxious and irritable. That is just not my normal state. I had a dream last night, that I was caught out in a terrible snow storm. I dug a big hole in one of those big hay bales you see on all the camino movies, put on every piece of clothing I had in my pack, and climbed into the hole. At least I had some sense of what to do in my dream, but i wake up after these dreams exhausted. I think I need to just not look at the weather predictions anymore. Am I normal or crazy?:confused::D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi @Joodle, if you search through the forum you will find lots of posts just like yours! Pre-Camino nervousness or anxiety is totally normal. You seem to have done all of the necessary research and preparation, so you're probably ready to go at this point. The last few weeks of waiting can be really tough. For me, this is typically when I unpack and repack my stuff, second-guess lots of decisions and worry about things that turn out to be pretty unimportant.

The only advice I will give you is to (a) forget about the weather predictions - you'll probably get a mix of all types of weather, including glorious sunshine and (b) try to resist the temptation to buy more gear, or stress about your gear choices.

As for the general worrying and anxiety - most of us have been there and it's easy (but probably not very helpful) to tell you that it will all be fine. Once you start walking, everything becomes very simple and the anxiety no longer has a place. In the meantime, just breathe and savour the thought of the wonderful adventure that lies ahead.

Buen Camino and Ultreia!

Last edited:
Is it just a normal thing to start feeling kind of irritable and having crazy Camino dreams about 4 weeks before you leave for your Camino. I can't place my finger on why I'm feeling anxious and irritable. That is just not my normal state. I had a dream last night, that I was caught out in a terrible snow storm. I dug a big hole in one of those big hay bales you see on all the camino movies, put on every piece of clothing I had in my pack, and climbed into the hole. At least I had some sense of what to do in my dream, but i wake up after these dreams exhausted. I think I need to just not look at the weather predictions anymore. Am I normal or crazy?:confused::D
You will do fine, that you are nervous is a normal thing. And the weather don't think to much over it.
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

I leave in 8 days.....and I am feeling the same way. So either I'm crazy just like you.....or we are both normal.

I had a dream last night, that I was caught out in a terrible snow storm. I dug a big hole in one of those big hay bales you see on all the camino movies, put on every piece of clothing I had in my pack, and climbed into the hole.

I don't have any training as a psychologist, but it seems to me that your brain is telling you that you're prepared for anything the Camino can throw at you.

I get strange anxiety dreams sometimes too. I had one recently. I was on the Camino, it was late in the day and I needed to get going to get to wherever it was that I was intending on staying that night. I don't know why I was "running late" but it was starting to get dark, so I was panicky. Why I didn't just stay in the town where I was, I don't know, but for some reason I needed to get to another town. I was on my bike, so I started out, and then the tire was flat. I didn't have a spare. More anxiety, more panic. Then I realized that I wasn't even a cycle pilgrim, that I was on foot, so who cares about the bike, right? But then I was anxious about what to do with the bike. Whose bike was it? How could I get it back to that person? And then I realized that I had to walk to wherever I was going instead of biking, so that would take longer and it would be darker and and and... Argh. It went on is this vein a bit longer, then I woke up.

Whatever - dreams are weird. The subconscious plays out all sorts of stuff when the conscious mind is asleep.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am 2 weeks away and feeling the same anxiety. So out of character to be cynical, impatient, and generally out of sorts.
My family will be just as happy to see me go as I am to leave. Let's hope absence makes the heart grow fonder works in this case

My flight to Spain is also getting closer and my mind is racing as to what details have I forgotten to check, plans to make or things to make sure I pack.

There are lots of things that could go wrong, but there is a support system along the Camino that rivals nothing else in the world. They have probable seen everything imaginable, and probably several times each year.

I too will be going alone, but I won't be alone. What gave me confidence to do this was that last year, I was suppose to again do the Seattle to Portland bike ride with my oldest son. At the last minute he canceled. There I was facing a 205 mile, 2-day bike ride with no one I knew. I thought about it and concluded that I can and have changed my own tires and done emergency maintenance on my bike. I would have a first aid kit, and beside there would be thousands of other riders and emergency support groups along the route. While there were a few times I was on stretches of road alone, most of the time other people were in sight or would come up and pass me every few minutes.

The Camino has thousands of people each month. That is several hundred people a day arriving at Santiago. You will be alone, but not alone. You will be carrying your own essentials, but there will support and things you can buy if you need them at most cities and some villages. Just about everyone you will meet wants you to succeed on your pilgrimage.

My hardest thing so far is mentally preparing to "let go" and go with the flow of my Camino. I have my first few days of lodging planned and my tickets to get there so I can get over jet lag. After that I have a list of places and things that I want to see (if I can). I am planning on 11 days in my bike saddle with 9 days for tourism, rest, recovery or bad weather. I may spend all 20 days in the saddle, but just travel very short distances. If I get to Santiago early I honestly don't know what I will do. Probably spend a few days and then figure out how to get to Bologna to meet some people so I can get to my cruise ship leaving Venice in late May. I don't have any lodging or transportation from Santiago to Bologna.

But I am sure that the Camino will provide and that I will be able to get there, even if it is by bus, train or in an emergency rental car.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Am I normal or crazy?
Crazy, of course. But we all are to some extent to think walking several hundreds of kilometres across Spain is 'normal'. So you will shortly join the 'good crazy' fraternity of Camino veterans who I suspect will have all faced some level of anxiety and trepidation before they set out. And I know that I still do today as I get close to starting my fifth pilgrimage walk. Indeed, I think it wouldn't be normal not to feel at least a little tension beforehand. (But then, you might expect me to say that, if only to convince myself that I am normal!)

Oh, so walking four Caminos qualifies to be a Camino veteran?
That's funny.
I am going to update my status right now.

Crazy, of course. But we all are to some extent to think walking several hundreds of kilometres across Spain is 'normal'. So you will shortly join the 'good crazy' fraternity of Camino veterans who I suspect will have all faced some level of anxiety and trepidation before they set out. And I know that I still do today as I get close to starting my fifth pilgrimage walk. Indeed, I think it wouldn't be normal not to feel at least a little tension beforehand. (But then, you might expect me to say that, if only to convince myself that I am normal!)

Absolument! And I will be on my fifth pilgrimage too :eek: Scared as anything! :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Oh, so walking four Caminos qualifies to be a Camino veteran?
That's funny.
I am going to update my status right now.
@arthur1218, I got the impression that @Joodle is about to embark on her first pilgrimage, and I was suggesting that after that she might claim to be a veteren. Are you suggesting that she needs to do more than that?

Total Lunatic. Quite obviously :eek:

But then most of us are I think ;)

You are all planned and prepared. You will be there very soon.
And suddenly things will calm down and you will find an inner calm and peace you never knew existed :)

Stop 'thinking too much' and let it all just happen.... :D

Hi , dont worry I have 4 months to go before my 3rd Camino and I am about to go crazy as well, but what you will find is a lot of joy and happiness but the crazy feeling will never leave you once you take that first step. Welcome to the world of the peligrino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My flight to Spain is also getting closer and my mind is racing as to what details have I forgotten to check, plans to make or things to make sure I pack.

There are lots of things that could go wrong, but there is a support system along the Camino that rivals nothing else in the world. They have probable seen everything imaginable, and probably several times each year.

I too will be going alone, but I won't be alone. What gave me confidence to do this was that last year, I was suppose to again do the Seattle to Portland bike ride with my oldest son. At the last minute he canceled. There I was facing a 205 mile, 2-day bike ride with no one I knew. I thought about it and concluded that I can and have changed my own tires and done emergency maintenance on my bike. I would have a first aid kit, and beside there would be thousands of other riders and emergency support groups along the route. While there were a few times I was on stretches of road alone, most of the time other people were in sight or would come up and pass me every few minutes.

The Camino has thousands of people each month. That is several hundred people a day arriving at Santiago. You will be alone, but not alone. You will be carrying your own essentials, but there will support and things you can buy if you need them at most cities and some villages. Just about everyone you will meet wants you to succeed on your pilgrimage.

My hardest thing so far is mentally preparing to "let go" and go with the flow of my Camino. I have my first few days of lodging planned and my tickets to get there so I can get over jet lag. After that I have a list of places and things that I want to see (if I can). I am planning on 11 days in my bike saddle with 9 days for tourism, rest, recovery or bad weather. I may spend all 20 days in the saddle, but just travel very short distances. If I get to Santiago early I honestly don't know what I will do. Probably spend a few days and then figure out how to get to Bologna to meet some people so I can get to my cruise ship leaving Venice in late May. I don't have any lodging or transportation from Santiago to Bologna.

But I am sure that the Camino will provide and that I will be able to get there, even if it is by bus, train or in an emergency rental car.
My only advice which was given to me is "have no expectations and you will have no disappointments" Buen Camino

Are you suggesting that she needs to do more than that?
Absolutely not! I love Joodle's enthusiasm and I hope she brings even more happiness back home! There is nothing like the first time on the Camino, and I am serious about it.

The only reason why I smiled to myself is because until now I thought that the "veteran member" status below the avatars reflects the past experience on the Camino, while in fact it doesn't have to! So in theory, one can be a forum 'veteran member' and a Camino newbie, and vice versa. Well, I am definitely a forum newbie, so I deleted my status and I beg for forgiveness for claiming the title! I hope one day I will become an iconic poster too ;)

Absolutely not! I love Joodle's enthusiasm and I hope she brings even more happiness back home! There is nothing like the first time on the Camino, and I am serious about it.

The only reason why I smiled to myself is because until now I thought that the "veteran member" status below the avatars reflects the past experience on the Camino, while in fact it doesn't have to! So in theory, one can be a forum 'veteran member' and a Camino newbie, and vice versa. Well, I am definitely a forum newbie, so I deleted my status and I beg for forgiveness for claiming the title! I hope one day I will become an iconic poster too ;)
I think with four pilgrimages under your belt you can claim to be a camino veteran, and not pay too much attention to what forum status you are given by the piece of software that makes the forum work.

The only advice I will give you is to (a) forget about the weather predictions - you'll probably get a mix of all types of weather, including glorious sunshine and (b) try to resist the temptation to buy more gear, or stress about your gear choices.
Well one thing I've definitely added to my kit, based on the weather this year.. the rain in Spain and all that (https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/the-rain-in-spain.39825/#post-400592) is a pair of boots that won't slip off in mud. I'd been happily planning to walk in exquisitely comfortable ultralight ' barefoot shoes' that are a dream in every condition except... mud,. As they're low cut, sticky mud pulls them right off . Dang that I'll now have something to carry I likely won't wear much, but better shod than sorry, and hello boots...
As for trepidation.. indeed yes, leaving my beachside comfort zone for many months, of which the Camino is just a small part. The trepidation is actually more for the section I've booked to do with a group of singers, with pre-booked accommodation/gear transport . So I've elected to add an extra 10 days 'my own thing following my nose' beforehand.. Which is also part of my 'training' as I haven't had the chance to get much fit yet (health stuff). Although I'll be carry my pack for that, have to now pack a sleeping bag etc... I am looking forward to the freeform rather than the set stages of the group.

Last edited:
Well one thing I've definitely added to my kit, based on the weather this year.. the rain in Spain and all that (https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/the-rain-in-spain.39825/#post-400592) is a pair of boots that won't slip off in mud. I'd been happily planning to walk in exquisitely comfortable ultralight ' barefoot shoes' that are a dream in every condition except... mud,. As they're low cut, sticky mud pulls them right off . Dang that I'll now have something to carry I likely won't wear much, but better shod than sorry, and hello Rossi boots...
As for trepidation.. indeed yes, leaving my beachside comfort zone for many months, of which the Camino is just a small part. The trepidation is actually more for the section I've booked to do with a group of singers, with pre-booked accommodation/gear transport . So I've elected to add an extra 10 days 'my own thing following my nose' beforehand.. Which is also part of my 'training' as I haven't had the chance to get much fit yet (health stuff). Although I'll be carry my pack for that, have to now pack a sleeping bag etc... I am looking forward to the freeform rather than the set stages of the group.
Oooh, tell me more about these ultra light dream shoes! Brand, style, etc. please. :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I doubt they sell them in US, trecile though you might get mail order. They are sold by an Australian company called Rivers, they look like slippers and are cheap as chips. I think they are an imitation of Sketchers I prefer Rivers pattern of studding on the hyper-resilient (bouncy) sole that returns the energy back to you, rolling you on to the next step. Unless someone wears them they can't grasp how the cosy and effective the combination of fabric and sole is. Zero 'wearing in' required- the first time I bought some I walked/floated 7kms in them straight away and neither then nor ever since have I had even the slightest twinge of discomfort/blister etc. Twice now someone has tried mine on and bought them off me!!
Combined with Kingsole skateboard insoles they are heaven on a tarsal :) I bought 5 pairs of them cos I never want to wear anything else for the rest of my life :) (though apparently for Spanish mud I may have to...)
http://www.rivers.com.au/catalogdb/item.asp?SP=49471&PS=326&G=2womens

I doubt they sell them in US, trecile though you might get mail order. They are sold by an Australian company called Rivers, they look like slippers and are cheap as chips. I think they are an imitation of Sketchers I prefer Rivers pattern of studding on the hyper-resilient (bouncy) sole that returns the energy back to you, rolling you on to the next step. Unless someone wears them they can't grasp how the cosy and effective the combination of fabric and sole is. Twice now someone has tried mine on and bought them off me!!
Combined with Kingsole skateboard insoles they are heaven on a tarsal :) I bought 5 pairs of them cos I never want to wear anything else for the rest of my life :) (though apparently for Spanish mud I may have to...)
http://www.rivers.com.au/catalogdb/item.asp?SP=49471&PS=326&G=2womens
Yes, they do look like Skechers. But do they give you enough support? I would love to wear something that light, but don't think that they wold last 800 km. I've already ordered and returned 11 pairs of shoes. I think that the twelfth pair might be the winner. They are an Asics trail runner. I just wish that they were lighter.

'support' as in some kind of stiffness or being high on the ankle? That's not at all important to me, I've never wrecked my feet with high heels or stiff soles (literally live most of my life barefoot) so what's bliss for me with these is as that my feet can move naturally with no restriction to bloodflow, blistering or other nastiness; my feet actually feel better with them on than off and I've had some really exhilarating walks floating along in them. They're not completely flat, the studs underneath and a slight raising at the arch gives energetic support without restriction. As I said, you can't believe them till you wear them.

I'm not worried about them lasting 800kms.. as a pair only weighs about 320gms, I am bringing spare pairs with me, and using them every second mud doesn't make me wear something more solid. Also bringing spares cos twice it's happened that people have tried them on and bought them off me! ;)

However, I gotta say that I am getting very ambivalent about this walk overall, and today, it's depressing that I will have to sometimes wear/deal with 'normal' shoes due the horrible weather forecast over the coming month is a somewhat of a last straw. I keep bursting into tears with what feels like grief and have to keep reminding myself that this is all optional, if not refundable.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well Joodle thanks for that, I thought it was me! I've become a bit ratty and Joan has packed and repacked her rucksack nearly everyday last week. Neither of us can get below about 12 lbs and it's driving us mad. As a long distance backpacker I am not worried about carrying it but reading how light others have got, it bugs both Joan and I that we cannot.

Roll on 17th May, we can relax as our packs go down the luggage belt and we board our plane, whatever they weigh.

Today I find myself having doubts and second thoughts.

Last year I walked 5 days from SJPdP to Puente la Reina. I only expected to reach Pamplona but I was with such fabulous people I pushed on. I have thought of little but the Camino since.

I am returning on 27th April to Puente la Reina to continue on for another 5 days. I have been looking forward to it, albeit with some trepidation - other pilgrims will have already been walking 4 or 5 days, they will be stronger, they will have formed their groups and families, so will anyone talk to me? Ask me to join them for a meal? I am aware this will be a different experience for me.

I wish I could walk it all in one go, but I have work constraints, and feel it is better to do it like this than not at all. If I wait I might not be physically able, but I don't want to wait, I want to walk now.

But this morning I went out for a walk, and could only manage 7km. I turned for home after only 3km. My knees hurt, my ankles ached, my back kept twingeing (I have a bulging disc), and the toe I crushed a few years back was sending sharp spiky pains up through my foot. I was weary and had little energy.

Now I am feeling like I don't want to walk any more of the Camino. I feel like it's all too much effort and bother and if I hurt so much after just 7km it's not worth it. Why am I weighing all my stuff, why don't I just get on the flight to Bilbao then rent a car and drive around northern Spain pigging out on pintxos!

Of course I will probably travel to Puente la Reina as planned, and plod along. One step at a time - (that's what I called my Camino facebook page). That's what I will most likely do. Apart from one 12km stretch with nothing between Villamayor de Monjardin and Los Arcos, there are plenty of places to stop. There is a good bus network along that part of the route, so that may be my back up plan, after putting the Spanish triple-strength ibuprofen to the test!

But I just feel really negative about it all at the moment.

Hopefully it will pass and the excitement will come back.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So interesting this thread has come up, thanks all of you for sharing. Tonight I went for a walk in my new 'proper' shoes and actually fell over walking up up a dune I've walked a hundred times.. had a total meltdown, my feet cried, I cried, spoke to my dear daughter and realised that I just have to take all the pressure of myself to walk in this rainy cold season, to only do what I can and respect that I've not been well. Forget 'breaking them in' I'm going to donate the boots to a local centre for unemployed people where someone will love them in a way I never will. Find something that works for me and my idiosyncratic barefoot self, be a softie touragrino or tourist or whatever these days, and not go solo till I'm ready. The camaraderie and other wonderful things of the freeform Camino will be there for me when I'm really ready. Which may not be in a fortnight...

Last edited:
Well Joodle thanks for that, I thought it was me! I've become a bit ratty and Joan has packed and repacked her rucksack nearly everyday last week. Neither of us can get below about 12 lbs and it's driving us mad. As a long distance backpacker I am not worried about carrying it but reading how light others have got, it bugs both Joan and I that we cannot.

Roll on 17th May, we can relax as our packs go down the luggage belt and we board our plane, whatever they weigh.
Don't get caught up in the "lightest pack contest" Take what you need to be comfortable and try to make sure each piece has more than one use. My pack weighs in at 15 lbs. That's good enough for me. I want extra socks to be able to keep my feet dry. I thought about leaving my rain pants home, but my husband put his foot down and said I have to take them, after hearing how bad the weather's been in Spain. My one luxury item is a "Scrubba" It is used to do your laundry. I am using it as a dry bag in my pack until needed for laundry. One heavier item I am bringing is Teva hiking sandals. They feel wonderful on my feet and I plan to walk in them part of each day. I will probably use them when it is raining, to keep my walking shoes dry. Buen Camino. I will start my journey in SJPP on the 12th of May.

With 8 days until our flight leaves I can see the anxiety in my wife's demeanour. I think I have some too (had the dream where I was at the airport and forgot passport), but as my second camino I recognize it as normal. There is definitely for me, a connection to the Camino that I believe works in the subconscious of my brain. Once you accept it as part of the normal process and that it affects just about everyone, it can take the edge off a little. Once there, it will melt away.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for the reference to ultralight footwear (Rivers and Skechers). I am off to Autralia on Monday for a month and then on my return head off for the Camino del Norte. I have found perfect boots for me from a good shop in beloved Zamora (Chiruca Almanzor make/model) Spanish made and si covered that I can buy them online from elcorteingles.eu I get through one pair a year (1,000 kms) and have two new pairs waiting in the wings so that I can break them in gradually. I have a fab Australian ultralight down sleeping bag of 450 gms (Sea to Summit) and always favour their hats! I also get edgy in excited anticipation - mainly because all around me think that I am quite mad... Age worries me and I am having to plan the more difficult walks for sooner rather than later.

If I may, I would like to offer just a small piece of advice--not that you need it at this point! We have all been chatting with you for weeks and weeks, and you are a delightful person, @Joodle .

To ease your busy mind: make a short list of the actions and various places you have set up for the first two or three days. Don't have any? Wow, cool! You are a pilgrim! Seriously, though, when I went on my first Spain trip, I had a little notecard with the following: Arrive Madrid. Fly Pamplona (time/details), Arrive Pamplona, taxi to bus station. Get picked up Corazon Puro (ph number attached). Stay Corazon, taxi to SJPP. Stay Beirani (sp incorrect, attached reservation), walk to Orisson following morning, stay there (reservation attached).

Just having that stuff --the immediate details--all put together really eased my mind. I'm sure most people do this, but as long as you have it close at hand, you can relax, read, shut your eyes, just take a deep breath.

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If I may, I would like to offer just a small piece of advice--not that you need it at this point! We have all been chatting with you for weeks and weeks, and you are a delightful person, @Joodle .

To ease your busy mind: make a short list of the actions and various places you have set up for the first two or three days. Don't have any? Wow, cool! You are a pilgrim! Seriously, though, when I went on my first Spain trip, I had a little notecard with the following: Arrive Madrid. Fly Pamplona (time/details), Arrive Pamplona, taxi to bus station. Get picked up Corazon Puro (ph number attached). Stay Corazon, taxi to SJPP. Stay Beirani (sp incorrect, attached reservation), walk to Orisson following morning, stay there (reservation attached).

Just having that stuff --the immediate details--all put together really eased my mind. I'm sure most people do this, but as long as you have it close at hand, you can relax, read, shut your eyes, just take a deep breath.

Buen Camino!
Great idea!

was caught out in a terrible snow storm. I dug a big hole in one of those big hay bales you see on all the camino movies, put on every piece of clothing I had in my pack, and climbed into the hole.
I credit your subconscious for being witty and resourceful :p

Don't beat yourself up. 12lb (5.4 KG) is good. Very good.... 95% of the people I met, would have been carrying more than that ;) Other than during the last 100kms of course ....

We can get a bit obsessed with pack weight I think. Sure you feel every extra pound on your legs and joints, but maybe, just maybe, that extra pound is worth taking to enhance your comfort .

This year I'm taking a Scrubba. (145 gms or 5 1/8 oz) https://thescrubba.com/ Basically a 'dry bag' with a built in washboard for clothes washing. It looks a lot easier / quicker than using wash basins and tubs.

I was OK last year just washing my stuff in a sink. But this year I am joined by 'She who must be obeyed' :eek:
I suspect (In fact I know) that I will be the designated 'washer man' for the trip. And if there is an easier and quicker way to wash two lots of gear each night, I'm up for trying it :)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@newgabe take your superlight shoes, and enjoy wearing them. I can see the problem with mud sucking them off but you will find a way of dealing with it. I would consider a pair of light water sandals or Crocs for mud, or even just slosh through barefoot. Making ourselves happy on Camino is so individual. I am always astonished at the creative solutions people seem to find for problems that arise; its a marvelous demonstration of why humans have been so successful a species.

As for pre-Camino worries? When that happens to me it is time to read a good distracting thriller. Or play a game of Scrabble!

Last edited:
@newgabe take your superlight shoes, and enjoy wearing them. I can see the problem with mud sucking them off but you will find a wsy of dealing with it. I would consider a pair of light water sandals or Crocs for mud, or even just slosh through barefoot. Making ourselves happy on Camino is so individual. I am always astonished at the creative solutions people seem to find for problems that arise; its a marvelous demonstration of why humans have been so successful a species.

As for pre-Camino worries? When that happens to me it is time to read a good distracting thriller. Or play a game of Scrabble!
This talk of super light shoes like Skechers is causing my to rethink shoes - yet again. I have a couple of pair of Skechers Go Run shoes that I love, and wore a pair of lace up Go Walk shoes to death. Unfortunately, with my long and narrow feet I've never been able to wear the slip on Skechers. But now they are making quite a few lace up styles. But, I don't know if they are 800 km soles. I saw a pair today that weigh half of what the trail runners weigh. I have also never had a blister from my Skechers. Last weekend I walked 10 miles on pavement in the Skechers running shoes. Sorry, I'm rambling. This shoe thing has just got me so confused. :confused:

@newgabe take your superlight shoes, and enjoy wearing them. I can see the problem with mud sucking them off but you will find a wsy of dealing with it. I would consider a pair of light water sandals or Crocs for mud, or even just slosh through barefoot.

As for pre-Camino worries? When that happens to me it is time to read a good distracting thriller....

Kanga thanks so much. Genius suggestion~ muddy patch ~ my scuba shoes!!! and if it's too cold.. a bus! (and I thought I would be inspired but instead have been appalled by reading a book called Grandma's on the Camino where a lady my age is ripping her feet apart walking in horrendous mud and cold just where/when I would be if I do some 'solo' before my softie tour). That ain't me babe :rolleyes:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi @Joodle, if you search through the forum you will find lots of posts just like yours! Pre-Camino nervousness or anxiety is totally normal. You seem to have done all of the necessary research and preparation, so you're probably ready to go at this point. The last few weeks of waiting can be really tough. For me, this is typically when I unpack and repack my stuff, second-guess lots of decisions and worry about things that turn out to be pretty unimportant.

As for the general worrying and anxiety - most of us have been there and it's easy (but probably not very helpful) to tell you that it will all be fine. Once you start walking, everything becomes very simple and the anxiety no longer has a place. In the meantime, just breathe and savour the thought of the wonderful adventure that lies ahead.

Buen Camino and Ultreia!

Thanks, NualaOC, you just helped me enormously. I leave Tuesday.... I've been doing all of the above.
Blessings, Priscila

This talk of super light shoes like Skechers is causing my to rethink shoes - yet again. I have a couple of pair of Skechers Go Run shoes that I love, and wore a pair of lace up Go Walk shoes to death. Unfortunately, with my long and narrow feet I've never been able to wear the slip on Skechers. But now they are making quite a few lace up styles. But, I don't know if they are 800 km soles. I saw a pair today that weigh half of what the trail runners weigh. I have also never had a blister from my Skechers. Last weekend I walked 10 miles on pavement in the Skechers running shoes. Sorry, I'm rambling. This shoe thing has just got me so confused. :confused:
I started my walk with a lady from Oregon and finished my walk the day I went to hospital with the same lady, I know you ladies are tough and strong of mind take a deep breath and go with what you feel happy with, you can always change during your walk .

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@trecile Skechers type shoes often wear quite fast, so a second pair would be a good idea. Also, some parts of the trail are pretty rocky, and you would want to think about how that will feel - although I know Skechers are my preferred shoes for walking on rocks at the beach, and on cobblestones. Give them a trial on a bush walk, with plenty of stones, and preferably a loaded pack - it makes a difference. If it still feels good after 4 hours, they will do.

Some people feel really uncomfortable unless they are in ankle enclosing stiff boots, others like trail runners but with a Vibram type sole underfoot, others like lots of padding, yet others prefer something quite responsive (I'm thinking of the Five Fingers barefoot types).

My preference, as I've said, is hiking sandals. I don't generally worry about getting muddy feet - just wash them in the next water trough and the sandals walk dry. My husband wears Norwegian Jacoforms - lightweight casual leather shoes with an extremely wide forefoot and rubber soles. It's a pain when it rains because his leather shoes get soaked. But no other shoes feel really comfortable to him, so he puts up with it and dries them out overnight with stuffed newspaper. Rarely is there a "perfect" solution.

@newgabe you could also consider these for warmth.

Well I have had a successful day and have brightened right up. Bought a few more crucial light/warm clothing layers to initially survive arriving in UK with, after which Spain will feel warm! Returned the Boots of Tears and found some shoes I think I can bear.. very light, waterproof , and with koilife's clever lacing tip (on the Rain in Spain thread) I feel more prepared for rain/mud and other such horrors

http://bustedwallet.com/womens-teva-sky-lake-trail-shoe-gear-review/

Then tonight at choir someone gifted me some trekkers wool!! Wonderful antiblister/tootsierub fluff to surround my feet with love!

http://www.trekkerswool.com.au

And as I'm singing in a lovely choir concert of songs to spark compassion the night before my flight, I'll let the sounds soothe out any remaining nerves..
bless you all

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think choosing the proper footwear should be done before you leave. Loading up your pack because of uncertainty will not serve you well. If one footwear is too flimsy to survive the walk, choose one that will if it also is comfortable. At home you have the luxury of switching between zori, Skechers, sandals, low boots, rugged boots, and runners. You do not need that choice on the Camino. Leave behind everything that you "might" need. You will be glad you did. Buen camino! :)

I think choosing the proper footwear should be done before you leave. ! :)
Yes, I agree! Maybe I wasn't clear but that's what I just did. I now have tried and tested ultra light/small non slip 'barefoots' that I know are perfect for roads, cobblestones, dirt/forest/offroad paths, rock hopping, indoors, slippery surfaces, beaches, transits, and uneven surfaces like stairs (I won't go into too much detail but I am slightly vision impaired and I need to feel what's underfoot).
In my usual life, I only use the barefoot shoes, (and occasionally some dressy sandals). I live in a warm climate, that's all I ever need.

Coming to Europe in a cold wet spring I needed to add something safer for the muddy/cold/wet situations that I will assuredly encounter in the coming months.

I'm perfectly happy to take both. The new 'proper' shoes aren't much heavier than the bare foots.. about 310gms each.. the bare foots are that for the pair. I backpacked for a year a few years ago in warmer climates, and having 2 pairs of shoes for different situations (one one my feet, one in the pack or drying) wasn't excessive, it made for situational comfort=happiness :) The camino walk is a small part of 5 months I'm going to be on the road, and I would imagine that most of the time I'll be in my trusty barefoots. If the new 'proper' shoes prove redundant once weather warms up and I'm not off road so much, that's what post offices/giveaways are for :)So bottom line relevant to this thread.. anxiety drastically reduced since yesterday!

Last edited:
I am 2 weeks away and feeling the same anxiety. So out of character to be cynical, impatient, and generally out of sorts.
My family will be just as happy to see me go as I am to leave. Let's hope absence makes the heart grow fonder works in this case

I'm two weeks away, too - heading off on May 1st but won't leave St Jean til May 4th... Full of 'butterflies', too... :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Today I find myself having doubts and second thoughts.
But I just feel really negative about it all at the moment.
Hopefully it will pass and the excitement will come back.
How are you doing, julia-t?

I'm two weeks away, too - heading off on May 1st but won't leave St Jean til May 4th... Full of 'butterflies', too... :)
Well I'm due to leave Pamplona evening of 5th or morning of 6th and I'm a slow coach, so perhaps we'll run into each other.

Well I'm due to leave Pamplona evening of 5th or morning of 6th and I'm a slow coach, so perhaps we'll run into each other.

I reckon to hit Pamplona on the 7th - heading out the following day so you'll be a couple of days ahead... I'm taking it easy but, yeah, we might well meet! :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
As someone wrote elsewhere on this forum, 'Don't start the Camino until you start the Camino'! :) I'm taking as my motto 'Solvitur Ambulando' - It is solved by walking.

I leave St Jean on my first Camino on May, 4th: to all those I will meet - can't wait to meet you... see you there!

newgabe... Thank you for asking. Yes, I feel much more positive today, and I see you do as well.
That's good, and I hope the happy mood continues. It would be a shame to let the thought of mud deter you. At least you can start, and if by some chance you find it's not for you, then you can go and do something else. That's what I'm telling myself I can do. Walking the Camino, or even part of it, is not compulsory. Though it may well be a compulsion!
Buen Camino, my friend, I am sorry I shall miss you along the Way.

As someone wrote elsewhere on this forum, 'Don't start the Camino until you start the Camino'! :) I'm taking as my motto 'Solvitur Ambulando' - It is solved by walking.

I leave St Jean on my first Camino on May, 4th: to all those I will meet - can't wait to meet you... see you there!

I leave tomorrow, and that's my motto too: Solvitur Ambulando!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Join the pre Camino club! I leave in less than a week and the nerves are in full swing and it's my second Camino ! Let's just call it excitement

Join the pre Camino club! I leave in less than a week and the nerves are in full swing and it's my second Camino ! Let's just call it excitement

It's some fear on my part. I think about getting on the plane and have a major adrenaline rush. I don't worry about walking once i'm there, I just worry about the getting there part and all the little parts of the travel. My husband told me he will kick me out of the car and throw my pack out the door if i try to back out at the airport. We had a good laugh over that one. I have enough stubbornness and pride to not back out. I wish you a Buen Camino!!

I'm flying to Biarittz on the 25th may. And trying my best to stay possetive and not to think of things that could go wrong
Why would one think any other way?
The Camino is simply a beautiful walk through the countryside of rural northern Spain, with dashes of time spent in historic, larger cities.
Even in the worst case scenario what would go wrong that would bring about stress and worry?
cheers and ultreia

Why would one think any other way?
The Camino is simply a beautiful walk through the countryside of rural northern Spain, with dashes of time spent in historic, larger cities.
Even in the worst case scenario what would go wrong that would bring about stress and worry?
cheers and ultreia
Thank you Mark Lee. I'm really looking forward to my Camino I think it's just travel nerves I suffer from I'm after all an old lady on her own lol !!!!

Perfectly, absolutely crazily NORMAL!!! :D

Your dream is fabulous. It is telling you that you are totally prepared for anything that the Camino will throw at you. You have exactly the right amount of clothes and can take care of yourself if the need arises. The weather will be what it will be.

I always get a little irritable and nervous before any trip and I've been travelling forever. It goes. My favourite part is boarding that first flight. I just relax then for there is nothing more that I can do except enjoy the experience.

Similar to @CaminoDebrita, I note down all the steps of my journey (we travel from Australia and usually stop along the journey over and back) but instead of cards, I use the TripCase app on my iPhone. Techno averse forum members look away now :rolleyes: It holds all my bookings, emergency contact numbers, copies of all relevant documents, notifies me of flight and gate changes before the airlines do and gives me directions to accommodation etc.

All you need to do now is to relax and enjoy the taper down until you start along your Way.

Oh boy, we thought Camino Debrita's idea was very good, it seemed such a good plan. We saw it while on a training break in the English Lake District, however after a couple of really strenuous days with our packs we have discovered our lack of fitness!

We've been watching some more utube video's and they don't look as challenging, but is that because nobody films while on the really steep bits?

Thank you Mark Lee. I'm really looking forward to my Camino I think it's just travel nerves I suffer from I'm after all an old lady on her own lol !!!!
You'll be OK, and once your shoes hit the ground on the Camino everything will get in stride.

Perfectly, absolutely crazily NORMAL!!! :D

Your dream is fabulous. It is telling you that you are totally prepared for anything that the Camino will throw at you. You have exactly the right amount of clothes and can take care of yourself if the need arises. The weather will be what it will be.

I always get a little irritable and nervous before any trip and I've been travelling forever. It goes. My favourite part is boarding that first flight. I just relax then for there is nothing more that I can do except enjoy the experience.

Similar to @CaminoDebrita, I note down all the steps of my journey (we travel from Australia and usually stop along the journey over and back) but instead of cards, I use the TripCase app on my iPhone. Techno averse forum members look away now :rolleyes: It holds all my bookings, emergency contact numbers, copies of all relevant documents, notifies me of flight and gate changes before the airlines do and gives me directions to accommodation etc.

All you need to do now is to relax and enjoy the taper down until you start along your Way.
Thanks! I am sitting down one more time and going through everything in my pack. I walked 10 miles with it yesterday, and while it is very manageable for me, It didn't include many hills. I feel that I can get rid of a few more things. It currently weighs 17 lbs with water, no food. I had another crazy dream last night. This time, I was trying to save everyone else, which is something I would try to do in real life. I woke up very tired from saving everyone. :rolleyes: I am taking a long walk again today and doing a lot of hill work. I will slow down next week and just take a few nice walks. I don't want to start my journey exhausted.

It's some fear on my part. I think about getting on the plane and have a major adrenaline rush. I don't worry about walking once i'm there, I just worry about the getting there part and all the little parts of the travel. My husband told me he will kick me out of the car and throw my pack out the door if i try to back out at the airport. We had a good laugh over that one. I have enough stubbornness and pride to not back out. I wish you a Buen Camino!!
Joodle:
I was similar before I walked the frances last fall. I tried to make careful plans for the first few days, then I worried about what would happen if I were unable to follow those plans. My personal anxiety focused on changing buses in Soria on my way from Madrid to Pamplona. Would the bus from the airport be on time, or would I miss my connection? Would the onward bus be parked on the street somewhere and I wouldn't be able to find it before it left? From what I read, both of these events were possibilities and I could think of no way to prevent them. In the event, my bus from the airport arrived on time and parked in the bus depot, where the onward bus arrived shortly and parked next to it. The driver assured onward passengers that he would wait while we took a bathroom break. I think that it is the things that we cannot control that cause anxiety. Sometimes this is appropriate, as it encourages cautious travelers to be sure to allow lots of time to make connections. If you have planned as best you can, you will just have to deal with what comes. I cannot guarantee no problems, but when you get to the beginning of your camino, you will be delighted to set off and all will be well. Buen camino.

Joodle:
I was similar before I walked the frances last fall. I tried to make careful plans for the first few days, then I worried about what would happen if I were unable to follow those plans. My personal anxiety focused on changing buses in Soria on my way from Madrid to Pamplona. Would the bus from the airport be on time, or would I miss my connection? Would the onward bus be parked on the street somewhere and I wouldn't be able to find it before it left? From what I read, both of these events were possibilities and I could think of no way to prevent them. In the event, my bus from the airport arrived on time and parked in the bus depot, where the onward bus arrived shortly and parked next to it. The driver assured onward passengers that he would wait while we took a bathroom break. I think that it is the things that we cannot control that cause anxiety. Sometimes this is appropriate, as it encourages cautious travelers to be sure to allow lots of time to make connections. If you have planned as best you can, you will just have to deal with what comes. I cannot guarantee no problems, but when you get to the beginning of your camino, you will be delighted to set off and all will be well. Buen camino.
Thank you Albertgirl. I think I may need to stay off the forum for awhile. I've been seeing too much about "help me find the magic" and stuff like that, so I've been feeling "what have I done" kind of feelings. I'm just going to go. I love people, I can get along with anybody, I have a wicked good sense of humor. These things will carry me through.

€149,-
You will do fine, Joodle!! I am so envious of you, cause all I'm doing is sitting and reading about the Camino and you have actually put a plan in place!! Good luck to you and buen Camino!!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.