• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pre-Camino blues?

Salpal

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk Coastal Camino in May 2020
I will be doing the Camino at end May this year and have been planning it for a year already.

I am having such trouble concentrating on anything else at the moment. Work and people are irritating me immensely and I just want to tell everyone to get lost and just start walking!!!

I'm sure I'm having a serious case of pre-camino blues!!! Anyone else felt this....is it normal :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I should add that when you return from your Camino, you can look forward to the Post-Camino Blues – or adaption to “normal life” period.

If you search this forum you will find several threads dealing with Pre-Camino Blues, Post-Camino blues, Pre-Camino Syndrome, etc…. It’s all part of the packet, so enjoy 😄

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Get out on the trails near where you live and train hard by walking long distance.....then your training will not only improve your Camino experience but in itself will shake off the pre-Camino blues because essentially you will have started already......training is a big and advisable part of the whole thing. Freezing and icy here in Nova Scotia today but because it’s not going to snow today I will walk 23 kms.....Buen Camino !

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I will be doing the Camino at end May this year and have been planning it for a year already.

I am having such trouble concentrating on anything else at the moment. Work and people are irritating me immensely and I just want to tell everyone to get lost and just start walking!!!

I'm sure I'm having a serious case of pre-camino blues!!! Anyone else felt this....is it normal :)

Definitely feeling this myself, and have also been wondering whether it’s “normal”. Glad I’m not alone. May 6 can’t get here quickly enough, but I’m going to use the time between now and then as constructively as I can. (Will probably take me at least that long to conclusively decide whether taking a rain jacket *and* a poncho really is a good idea.)

Definitely feeling this myself, and have also been wondering whether it’s “normal”. Glad I’m not alone. May 6 can’t get here quickly enough, but I’m going to use the time between now and then as constructively as I can. (Will probably take me at least that long to conclusively decide whether taking a rain jacket *and* a poncho really is a good idea.)
So glad I'm not alone! I'm trying to conclusively decide whether to take trainers *and* sandals :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Salpal. . . .

Part of the reason folks walk a pilgrimage is to gain a sense of balance mentally, physically, and spiritually. It seems that now is a good time to begin. . . to take those things that are bothering or upsetting you, and try to identify ways to cope.

It might help to write your thoughts down, as stresses occur. This can help you focus on practical ways to deal with those things that are getting to you.

Strengthen and build your core muscle-group of Patience; it will serve you well when you finally start your walk. This can help help you spiritually and mentally as much as physical conditioning will help your cardiovascular system and muscles.

Daily life on Camino is filled with potential irritations and venues of impatience. From snoring in albergue dorms, to concern about finding a bed after a weary day of walking, to bikes whizzing by at breakneck speed demanding that YOU move out of the way. . . So now is a great opportunity to build patience.

Focus on the 'now'. Anticipation of a future event is demanding the bulk of your attention, sort of like when we were kids waiting for Christmas morning to arrive. So meditate on and practice Contentment at meeting your needs in the present.

Walking a Camino is almost a forced focus on what you are experiencing and feeling, not just for the day, but from one moment to the next. It is a cycle of sleeping, walking, and eating. Rinse and repeat. If one is not content with doing that, but is, instead, constantly focused on how quickly you can get to a certain place to see certain sights or experience a certain event or make sure you have a bed or . . . Well, you might miss the goodness of the walking by fixating on what is to come, instead of what you have right then.

Think of 'today' NOT as a blockade to what you want to do in May, but as a blessing of opportunities at work and home. As you work your physical body in training, use your daily life to work out mentally and spiritually. The future will come soon enough.

Hi, Salpal. . . .

Part of the reason folks walk a pilgrimage is to gain a sense of balance mentally, physically, and spiritually. It seems that now is a good time to begin. . . to take those things that are bothering or upsetting you, and try to identify ways to cope.

It might help to write your thoughts down, as stresses occur. This can help you focus on practical ways to deal with those things that are getting to you.

Strengthen and build your core muscle-group of Patience; it will serve you well when you finally start your walk. This can help help you spiritually and mentally as much as physical conditioning will help your cardiovascular system and muscles.

Daily life on Camino is filled with potential irritations and venues of impatience. From snoring in albergue dorms, to concern about finding a bed after a weary day of walking, to bikes whizzing by at breakneck speed demanding that YOU move out of the way. . . So now is a great opportunity to build patience.

Focus on the 'now'. Anticipation of a future event is demanding the bulk of your attention, sort of like when we were kids waiting for Christmas morning to arrive. So meditate on and practice Contentment at meeting your needs in the present.

Walking a Camino is almost a forced focus on what you are experiencing and feeling, not just for the day, but from one moment to the next. It is a cycle of sleeping, walking, and eating. Rinse and repeat. If one is not content with doing that, but is, instead, constantly focused on how quickly you can get to a certain place to see certain sights or experience a certain event or make sure you have a bed or . . . Well, you might miss the goodness of the walking by fixating on what is to come, instead of what you have right then.

Think of 'today' NOT as a blockade to what you want to do in May, but as a blessing of opportunities at work and home. As you work your physical body in training, use your daily life to work out mentally and spiritually. The future will come soon enough.
Oh wow davebugg thank you for the wake up call! You are so right and I really needed to hear that! Thank you for taking the time in writing that. Definitely need that guidance ... wanna walk with me! Haha! Seriously thank you. You have no idea how much I needed to hear that!

The Pre Camino Blues? I never heard of it or experienced it. I get excited, happy, experience anticipation, read Camino Blogs, read and reread my guide books and I am happy with training . I don’t get cranky as the Camino brings me happiness. Even thinking about it now makes a smile form on my face.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I was planning my first Camino for Sept/Oct this year, but an hour ago, informed my husband that it will likely be May/June. Getting impatient to go.

I too am doing SJPDP-SDC starting end of May and to stave off any pre-Camino blues I just did Sarria to Santiago this week! It has been a wonderful antidote to any type of blues a body might experience mid winter😊 ¡Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Same .. although nearer starting the end if April
I get through by watching a lot of YT videos, but itchy feet for sure.

Hi, Salpal. . . .

Lots of great thoughts there.

So good to read this, I am having the same issues. I can't stop thinking about my Camino which will start in Lisbon on April 15th and because it's my first time I am also very anxious about what to expect. Just hang in there it will be spring before you know it ;-)

It will be worse when you get back ! :p:p

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back