• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pre Camino Frances nerves

CaminoUK31

Time of past OR future Camino
May 8th 2023
Hi all

I start my camino on the 7th I’ve seen some post about not getting a bed and now I’ve got cold feet I’ve pre booked my first 3 days…. Should I be thinking further ahead?

Thank you kindly x

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Try and go with the flow. Everyone does things differently.
If you are late to rise and late to start walking there may be less choice when you reach your days end.

My choice is to start at daybreak and enjoy the sun coming up, stop as and when for snacks and try not to stick to the prescribed guide book “stages”.
The small villages in between can be quieter.

You’ll meet people from all over and as my partner always tells me “it’ll be fine”.

Booking something 24hours in advance can help allay the anxiety sometimes Neil you get in to the flow of things.
Booking days and days in to the walk can, in my opinion, add pressure and spoil the spontaneity of it all.

You’ll work it out, I’m sure.
Enjoy….and remember, it’s your walk, there is no right or wrong way to do it…whatever I think 😂

A lot depends on which route you're walking. On the Ingles there's not as much choice. Pre booking allowed us to "walk in a relaxed manner", more of a saunter then a walk. On the Frances? There's either always going to be somewhere or, in extremes, you could yo-yo using a taxi.

As @OnHellas said, "it'll be fine" or, if you prefer, "All I can say about tomorrow is that Providence will rise before me"

Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you are heading on The Camino Frances, I'd say the first couple of days booked is perfect. The rest will fall into place as soon as you start.

I've often booked my first nights and never regretted it, Later on I prefer to stop when the mood takes me, rather than rigidly sticking to a plan. The same goes for carrying my pack..

Each to their own, either way, as soon as you start you will wonder what all the fuss was about... it's so simple to just start walking

you'll be fine

On most routes I like to have a plan for first couple of nights. After that I wing it which is very possible on the Frances, or book a night or two ahead (which on some less travelled routes or walking in France is necessary). I don't like getting too far ahead of myself as things can change- bad weather, heatwave, a minor injury, or finding i just want to stop somewhere- or trying to speed up or slow down to get out of a bubble of pilgrims.
Be aware there are pinch points like at Zubiri and at Mansilla de las Mulas (due to closure of albergue in Mansilla) so often beds are scarce in such spots so booking is a good idea. And the last 100km from Sarria needs some thought to stay off stages or to book.

Don't overly worry! And if all else fails have some emergency money for a taxi!

I always book almost everything in advance. However, I know I won't have any problems anyway as I like short stages and lots of rest days. I find this way works for me as it allows me total fret free days walking, and also lots of time to spend in churches / villages / doing small detours etc. However, the spontaneity appeals to many as well as the freedom to walk distances according to how one feels. Both ways are valid, you just have to discover which way works best for you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Is it a trip to experience new things? Is it a pilgrimage? These are only two possibilities. But they are sufficiently different to demonstrate my thoughts on this very personal and unique issue.

On the vacation / hike for fun side, plan ahead, at least a few days. Then you know nothing can go wrong…we know that’s not true…

If purely a pilgrimage, as others have said, go with the flow. If it is harder to find a bed, when needed, prepare to camp out or think outside the box. If albergues are full, consider an upgrade to a B&B or a hotel for a night. Maybe walk to a farm and ask to sleep in an out building or barn if they store hay/straw. That way there is no need for a tent, though i always carry a plastic tarp for emergencies.

Also, as mentioned, shorter stages means stopping earlier each day thereby getting a bed before most are still out there walking.

How your body feel about all this? Always give your body the deciding vote.

Head: C’mon, we can do another 25 km…and that will get us a whole day ahead of schedule!!!

Feet: Sure Head, you come down here where all of you hits the road and spell me for a while. Maybe if we can do that, we can do another 25 km. But I get to ride on the shoulders, not you…

Hi all

I start my camino on the 7th I’ve seen some post about not getting a bed and now I’ve got cold feet I’ve pre booked my first 3 days…. Should I be thinking further ahead?

Thank you kindly x
If starting from St Jean; book through to Pamplona, thereafter it’ll be OK.

Nobody ever posts to say ‘there’s plenty of accommodation’

Is it a trip to experience new things? Is it a pilgrimage? These are only two possibilities. But they are sufficiently different to demonstrate my thoughts on this very personal and unique issue.

On the vacation / hike for fun side, plan ahead, at least a few days. Then you know nothing can go wrong…we know that’s not true…

If purely a pilgrimage, as others have said, go with the flow. If it is harder to find a bed, when needed, prepare to camp out or think outside the box

Where you sleep and whether or not you reserve ahead has nothing to do with if the Camino is a pilgrimage or not. Intent is what makes it a pilgrimage.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Book the first three or four nights. Then you will be in the flow and let the Camino take you!! And you’ll fall in love with it. If you want to!!! I’m sure you’ll have a truly amazing time whatever amazing means for you. Love and Buen Camino

No need to reserve unless you want to. You'll always find a bed, and this can lead to adventures you might have missed otherwise. One trick is to use gronze.com to identify albergues that don't accept reservations and be there, first in the queue, an hour before they open for registration.

Does it mean that you are starting the Camino Francés on Sunday, May 7, from Saint Jean Pied de Port?

Current reports - some of them quite credible - tell of extraordinary numbers of pilgrims on the first sections of the Camino France up to Pamplona but even beyond right now. This is a yearly occurrence at the beginning of May, aggravated this year due to the fact that the first of May (public holiday in Spain and in much of Europe) is on a Monday.

If you start in SJPP on a Sunday in early May that‘s already better than starting on the Friday or Saturday. Are you planning to stay at municipal and parochial albergues that do not take reservations and are you prepared to arrive early, say by 1 pm at the latest? If yes, and in my opinion, then you don’t need to think further ahead.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@CaminoUK31, also, bear in mind that Pamplona and Logroño are popular destinations for weekend trips. This has a knock-on effect on pilgrims for Friday nights and Saturday nights as pilgrims are competing with other visitors for moderately priced accommodation and more pilgrims than usual have to resort to either higher priced accommodation or beds in non-bookable municipal and parochial albergues in and near these towns for Friday or Saturday night. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
It's true that there are many more pilgrims on the Camino, and there's pressure already on albergue space. But there's really very little to be concerned about, because getting a bed on the Camino is a walk in the park at any time, if you know how to go about it. There are a few pressure points (Orisson, Burgos etc) and times (semanta Santa) when booking ahead makes sense. Booking.com is perfect for that, you'll easily find a place especially if your budget lets you go upmarket. But mostly there's no need to reserve ... And in fact you miss most of the fun, which tends to happen in those albergues which refuse to take reservations. These are the municipal albergues and the parrochial albergues. Here it's first come first served, so you simply arrange to roll up an hour before they open (usually 1pm) and thus become first in the queue. You can leave your backpack to mark your place and wander around, but make sure to be at the door when they open before the stampede begins. In my view it's a great pity that misfounded anxiety over finding a bed deters people who want to walk the Camino ... But they have nothing to worry about, if only they knew how to set about it. ☘️

Where you sleep and whether or not you reserve ahead has nothing to do with if the Camino is a pilgrimage or not. Intent is what makes it a pilgrimage.
I agree, usually.

In my experience, those on Pilgrimage will approach challenges differently from others, and will possibly employ their spiritual tendencies, possibly through prayer, or other methods, to let the Camino know they are in need of a Camino Miracle, as opposed to anything else. And in this, I believe my previous points are most applicable, not being divisive, either.

With your experience, I am certain this is recognized.

In fact, I wonder if a poll were done today, what the percentage be of those who know about Camino Miracles versus those who have not heard of them prior to the poll? As new folks are experiencing the Camino for the first time, all the time, the results may be surprising.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You booked your first 3 days - which means you have a good start where you can arrive, know where you are sleeping each night, and figure out how things work during those first 3 days. Once you get walking, you will probably start feeling a lot less anxiety about everything else. I suggest you try to wing it for the next couple of days and see how that goes. In general - I recommend booking SJPDP to Zubiri (which is probably what you booked). After that, you can either "wing it" or book the night before or in the morning. Most of the time that is plenty of time for an advanced reservation. Once you get to Sarria - you might want to prebook, especially if you prefer privates but there are still plenty of albergue beds.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.