• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pre-Camino Jitters!

Kimberley Hall

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte September 2016
Good evening all :)

2 sleeps to go till I start my first Camino, taking the northern route. Getting a mixture of nervous & excitement! I'm thinking this is completely normal? Eeeekkk!!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I hope you have a fantastic camino Kimberley!

Buen Camino!

Mike

Kimberley
I start my walk tomorrow from st Jean de port and I am so nervous
Thinking of pulling out
I'm
Really bad with direction I'm scared I won't find a bed
Lo

Kimberley
Thinking of pulling out
I'm
Lo
@lorraine123
I am really bad with directions too. But you are walking the camino frances in August. The chances that you will be alone unless you choose to be are minute. Just follow the conga line. Take a whistle to attract attention if that will make you feel more secure. Reports on available beds are positive recently. You are a little nervous at this new and exciting adventure. Buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm so excited for you Kimberly! You have your reasons for doing the camino... now is your time to do them.

As humans, we grow once we step out of our comfort zone.

I'm thinking this is completely normal?
Oh, yes. And you'll be fine. I know...it's easy for us to say. But is IS normal, as @SYates and others say.

(We need a standard post that says that and something tho the effect of "Don't worry, as soon as you start walking the anxiety will vanish...";))
Buen Camino and ultreia, Kimberly and Lo! Please let us know how you go.

2 sleeps to go till I start my first Camino, taking the northern route. Getting a mixture of nervous & excitement! I'm thinking this is completely normal? Eeeekkk!!!
How exciting for you. It is a huge adventure. Totally normal and one of the best aspects. I love those butterflies as I contemplate the first step on a new camino. Before you start, even if you are not religious, take a moment to reflect and ask for a good journey. I always greet the camino. Make it a mindful beginning, determined to accept whatever it offers and to respect it and those you meet along the way. Bury your tissues if you need to pee and leave no litter ;) All will be well.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Kimberley
Thinking of pulling out
I'm
Lo
Lorraine
Don't pull out !!! ..... I feel like that EVERY TIME I go outside my comfort zone ...... but then I gather myself up and continue on .... the only place for personal growth is OUTSIDE ones comfort zone ... of that I am sure ...

Anne

Buen camino Kimberley! Not sure if I'm qualified to state what is normal or not :D but I feel the same too before each Camino...
Enjoy the Northern route and tell us all about it, it is one of the many I have yet to discover.

Kimberley
Thinking of pulling out
I'm
Lo

Buen camino Lorraine :) Directions are well marked on the camino francés and I am sure you will find a bed. Keep us posted :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Your words are so kind all of you. I've just done my final pack. And feeling much better. Just making sure everything is sorted in the real world then tonight I can focus for the walk. Excitement is weighing more than the anxiety now. Who knows what I will encounter but I do know whatever I experience I will experience because that's exactly what is meant to happen. :)

I know how you feel Kimberley, I am 9 days from departure and having all kinds of mixed emotions. I have been strongly drawn to the Norte route for the solitude, but pulled to the Frances for the safety of numbers. So I'm thinking half and half. Norte from San Sebastian to Santander, bus from Santander to Burgos, and from there all the way to Santiago. If any one has advise or comments with regards to this hybrid, help me out here.
Buen Camino and joyful days ahead for you Kimberly.

This is pretty normal :)

All my previous Caminos were a "last minute" decision.... The longest one, from Le Puy to Finisterra, was thought about, decided, planned and became reality in 04 days!!!!

The first one in 2001 was only decided when I was already in Pamplona for the St Fermin festivities during my summer break at uni when, by accident I found out that the Camino passes through Pamplona. I decided that same afternoon that in the next morning I'd walk first back to SJPdP and then to Santiago (Dont ask why I did that.... I have no answers!)

Anyways, during all my caminos I had not enough time to get anxious, nervous and excited as by the time I gathered my gear together I was already there, walking...

This year, things are totally different, I decided to walk the Aragones and Frances at the end of the year, the decision was made around march/April. Tickets were bought, everything is set ( as a mountaineer I dont have to buy gear, just decide what to take with me) and because I planned so ahead of time, this is driving me crazy!!!

Im not used to this pre-camino anxiety... I've been re-reading guides, books and, of course, spending loads of time here in the Forum and.... time does not go by.....

I'm still 2,5 months to go....

The worst part is that, even with everything set and ready, I havent received clearance from my work peers in the US... Its kind of set but still "not official".

So I've been living on this anxiety of waiting and thinking that it might happen to get really really close to my trip just to have work obligations ruin it...

Having a nervous breaking down pretty soon!

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Looking back, the worst part for me was the negotiating of travel to and home from the Camino - once I got started it seemed like right, left, right, left, right, left was all I really needed to know. You will find a bed, you will find food, you will have fun, you will have to work hard :) Kind of like life I think! Buen Camino!!!!!

Lorraine
Don't pull out !!! ..... I feel like that EVERY TIME I go outside my comfort zone ...... but then I gather myself up and continue on .... the only place for personal growth is OUTSIDE ones comfort zone ... of that I am sure ...

Anne
Thank you so much
Love every minute of it best thing I done
Love the Camino
Nothing at all to ha e been worried about apart from bed bugs

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.