• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pre-Camino jitters?

senora1

We left off in Burgos 3 years ago, after cycling from Roncesvalles, I thought I was done, but it turns out I’m not! Even though my husband and I completed our original Camino 10 years ago as peregrinos, we’re returning this Saturday to Burgos to go to Santiago as bicigrinos. I’ve been anticipating returning but now 3 days before we leave I’m getting a bit nervous and feel a bit overwhelmed. I’m hoping this will disappear once we get underway. Anyone else experienced this?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Bless you, I had exactly the same feeling also 72h before the trip, because that was when I could upload my health documents and it started to become very very real!

Funnily enough the things I worried about, so far, has not happened, in fact it had been super smooth. And I did have a few unexpected things happened which was stressful at the time but everything is now sorted thanks to the helpfulness and generosity of everyone here!

Good luck on the bike! Buen camino

Bless you, I had exactly the same feeling also 72h before the trip, because that was when I could upload my health documents and it started to become very very real!

Funnily enough the things I worried about, so far, has not happened, in fact it had been super smooth. And I did have a few unexpected things happened which was stressful at the time but everything is now sorted thanks to the helpfulness and generosity of everyone here!

Good luck on the bike! Buen camino
Bless you for the encouragement!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Usually I feel much, much better after getting the first day under my belt. Hope you can relax then, too, if not before. Just take it little by little, and celebrate all the small moments, like finally getting on the plane, finally arriving in Burgos, buying your first groceries. All the important stuff :)

Buen Camino!

Usually I feel much, much better after getting the first day under my belt. Hope you can relax then, too, if not before. Just take it little by little, and celebrate all the small moments, like finally getting on the plane, finally arriving in Burgos, buying your first groceries. All the important stuff :)

Buen Camino!
Oh I like this advice ❤️

Oh I like this advice ❤️
Even as person who worked in aviation most of his life and did some serious flying I always felt a little nervous before long trips. I think its natural, especially for a long distance trip of many days, and it doesn’t go away until you arrive at the destination and yes maybe after the first day. You have probably time to think about it a lot now, but when you arrive you will be thinking of other things.

I liken it to a boxer who says the nerves don’t go till the first bell rings (you are effectively just about to walk to the ring) or a soccer player who says the nerves don’t go till the game starts (you are effectively just about to run on the pitch!).

I will amazed if it doesn’t go away!

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Even as person who worked in aviation most of his life and did some serious flying I always felt a little nervous before long trips. I think its natural, especially for a long distance trip of many days, and it doesn’t go away until you arrive at the destination and yes maybe after the first day. You have probably time to think about it a lot now, but when you arrive you will be thinking of other things.

I liken it to a boxer who says the nerves don’t go till the first bell rings (you are effectively just about to walk to the ring) or a soccer player who says the nerves don’t go till the game starts (you are effectively just about to run on the pitch!).

I will amazed if it doesn’t go away!
Oh I don’t think I am a nervous flier, LOL. Just recently retired after 35 year flight attendant, the airplane is my home 😍
I think it’s the rest of what lies ahead that I have butterflies in my stomach about. But probably after the first day I will calm down!

Oh
Oh I don’t think I am a nervous flier, LOL. Just recently retired after 35 year flight attendant, the airplane is my home 😍
I think it’s the rest of what lies ahead that I have butterflies in my stomach about. But probably after the first day I will calm down!
Sorry clumsy wording from me! Wasn’t suggesting you are a nervous flying, more the trip and all aspects! You post was very clear! Have a great trip!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
How many rough landings or severe turbulence did you experience in 35 years as a flight attendant? Or awkward passengers with too much alcohol? Think how your day to day experience would make some others feel anxious, something that you handled with no great fanfare. You are only anxious (I guess) because you are about to do something that is outside your immediate comfort zone. And just like anxious passengers, when the plane has arrived at the gate and their holiday about to begin they are smiling and the party mood has taken over. It will be the same for you, once you start and you interact with other peregrinos and the locals, you will be just fine and you will feel the magic of the Way.

How exciting...we are hitting Burgos tomorrow and having a rest day. I can understand your nerves, we have got two of our children with us (11 & 15) and we really got concerned after walking the Pyrenees in 50 mph winds,

Our nerves have disappeared and we are all loving every day and the challenges that each one brings!

Happy bicigrining :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Greetings from out on the way. I started or resumed in Burgos last Thursday. All great. The imaginary problems before starting are energy sapping without resolution. But out here it’s just walk, shower, laundry, siesta, dinner with vino tinto and chat and sleep!!! Boringly simple!! Travel light in all meanings of that phrase.

How many rough landings or severe turbulence did you experience in 35 years as a flight attendant? Or awkward passengers with too much alcohol? Think how your day to day experience would make some others feel anxious, something that you handled with no great fanfare. You are only anxious (I guess) because you are about to do something that is outside your immediate comfort zone. And just like anxious passengers, when the plane has arrived at the gate and their holiday about to begin they are smiling and the party mood has taken over. It will be the same for you, once you start and you interact with other peregrinos and the locals, you will be just fine and you will feel the magic of the Way.
Thanks for that!

How exciting...we are hitting Burgos tomorrow and having a rest day. I can understand your nerves, we have got two of our children with us (11 & 15) and we really got concerned after walking the Pyrenees in 50 mph winds, there is a vlog of us walking the Camino and the Pyrenees one is being posted in the next 24 hours if you fancy a giggle at our expense :) (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_FWJOFBQs53u-846958UNQ).

Our nerves have disappeared and we are all loving every day and the challenges that each one brings!

Happy bicigrining :)
Oh thanks for the link, enjoyed seeing you and your family beginning the Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We left off in Burgos 3 years ago, after cycling from Roncesvalles, I thought I was done, but it turns out I’m not! Even though my husband and I completed our original Camino 10 years ago as peregrinos, we’re returning this Saturday to Burgos to go to Santiago as bicigrinos. I’ve been anticipating returning but now 3 days before we leave I’m getting a bit nervous and feel a bit overwhelmed. I’m hoping this will disappear once we get underway. Anyone else experienced this?
Yes

Thank you for this. I still have a few months before starting the Portuguese Camino and am bouncing from excitement to terror!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for this. I still have a few months before starting the Portuguese Camino and am bouncing from excitement to terror!

I think that the fact that you are nervous just shows how important this is to you and what a great opportunity awaits! It could be a message how special this to you? 🤔

I know I'm not nervous about my daily commute to work as that has become so normal for me, however I am a bit nervous and excited to walk into Finisterre tomorrow for the first time! 😀

My husband and I began our camino from Carrion de los Condes, and even though we had natural nerves in the weeks before, the night before we began walking I remember thinking that there was no way I could do this walk. I almost felt sick with dread. But at the end of that first day everything had changed. I hope you have a wonderful, exciting time. Buen camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think that the fact that you are nervous just shows how important this is to you and what a great opportunity awaits! It could be a message how special this to you? 🤔

I know I'm not nervous about my daily commute to work as that has become so normal for me, however I am a bit nervous and excited to walk into Finisterre tomorrow for the first time! 😀
That’s a perfect way to look at it! Thanks

I'm cycling from Burgos at the moment, and it's wonderful ... Great weather, beautiful fields and flowers, fine people. And as a bicigrino/a you'll love how flat it is (mostly) until Astorga. See if you can stay in the marvellous Albergue Emaus for your first night, and Buen Camino!

I’ve hiked more than 6,000 miles in numerous trips, and I always go into each one with a bit of trepidation. I think it’s normal.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.