• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pre Camino Podiatry Visit

spagirl

Time of past OR future Camino
frances(Sept 2018)
I don't have any particular issues but decided I would go to a podiatrist before I did. Im about 5 weeks out from leaving.

I can't recommend this enough!! She evaluated my shoes, my pack, my socks. I was given advice on foot care, blister treatment and prevention. She assessed my gait. She brilliantly and simply solved an annoying toe curl issue thats bugged me my whole life. I even got sample size of anti friction rub and heel lifts. Wow the heel lifts made my shoes feel brand new. That alone more than paid for the visit. I was going to get new shoes. She changed my socks, gave tips on lacing my shoes for various issues and gave me a list of pre and post walk exercises to do on the trail that don't require equipment etc. She informed me of the fact that I had less mobility in part of my foot which she thought would cause foot problems as I age and gave me a print out of things to solve it; likely saving me a knee replacement down the road. She also checked out ( an thankfully approved )my post walking sandal that I planned to bring. Her advice and tips were amazing and useful outside the camino. She also gave advice on walking up or down hills to prevent foot/leg issues that were specific to my feet and gait and pace.
She even got a list of Spanish equivalents ( brand names) of common meds, first aide items that I could possibly need. Most impressive was her email address and an invitation to face time a consultation while in Spain if I ran into pain or trouble.

I can't recommend this enough. I really do feel she has helped my injury/ pain prevention.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That’s what I need! Unfortunately all I have come across is a couple of podiatrists who seem only interested in selling orthotics! Is there any advice you would be able to share for other - especially older- pilgrims who don’t seem to have access to such amazing help?

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That’s what I need! Unfortunately all I have come across is a couple of podiatrists who seem only interested in selling orthotics! Is there any advice you would be able to share for other - especially older- pilgrims who don’t seem to have access to such amazing help?
Custom Orthotics are a wonderful thing! I love my podiatrist and I agree, they are a great resource. My lady is also a hiker and that helps her to understand our problems.

Custom Orthotics are a wonderful thing! I love my podiatrist and I agree, they are a great resource. My lady is also a hiker and that helps her to understand our problems.

I love my Orthotics too, but our Podiatrist didn't seem interested in anything else sadly,,,,,,

My doc is a real treasure too! As is my physiotherapist.
Both keen walkers and outdoor types.
Always sound advice.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't have any particular issues but decided I would go to a podiatrist before I did. Im about 5 weeks out from leaving.

I can't recommend this enough!! She evaluated my shoes, my pack, my socks. I was given advice on foot care, blister treatment and prevention. She assessed my gait. She brilliantly and simply solved an annoying toe curl issue thats bugged me my whole life. I even got sample size of anti friction rub and heel lifts. Wow the heel lifts made my shoes feel brand new. That alone more than paid for the visit. I was going to get new shoes. She changed my socks, gave tips on lacing my shoes for various issues and gave me a list of pre and post walk exercises to do on the trail that don't require equipment etc. She informed me of the fact that I had less mobility in part of my foot which she thought would cause foot problems as I age and gave me a print out of things to solve it; likely saving me a knee replacement down the road. She also checked out ( an thankfully approved )my post walking sandal that I planned to bring. Her advice and tips were amazing and useful outside the camino. She also gave advice on walking up or down hills to prevent foot/leg issues that were specific to my feet and gait and pace.
She even got a list of Spanish equivalents ( brand names) of common meds, first aide items that I could possibly need. Most impressive was her email address and an invitation to face time a consultation while in Spain if I ran into pain or trouble.

I can't recommend this enough. I really do feel she has helped my injury/ pain prevention.
I would love to know this podiatrist. I live in Ontario

I agree 100 % and would not contemplate doing El Camino without prior visit to podiatry . It is invaluable

I say beware! I have a slight ankle inversion and saw a podiatrist and got insoles. I kept saying it felt too lumpy under my arch and he insisted I needed to get used to it. I wore my shoes for a month prior to departing on the Geneva to Le Puy route. On day one I got shooting pain through my foot and then tripped very slightly later. I sustained a Lisfrancs sprain and metatarsal fracture which I put down to the stress from the pressure under my foot. Bloody painful. I was furious. Took a year to kind of come right. Just walked Madrid to Oviedo on commercially available sunbed insoles which cost 15 Euros and were brilliant.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Wow. What a great experience!

Some universal things:
Do exercises to increase the range of motion in your ankles. There are many videos on line about this. Basically that if you don't have a complete range of motion other muscle take up the slack and thats where injuries occur.

Alternating foot soaks from hot to cold water ( a few minutes each switching for about 20 minutes) after walking will increase blood flow to the area. Our heels generally have poor blood circulation leading to inflammation and pain in those tendons.
Crocs were her choice for an after walking shoe.

If you put a neoprene insole in your shoe it will help keep your feet dry and the insole it self dries quick once removed.

Keep feet soft. Ive heard lots of people say get your feet toughened up with calluses. She said that leads to other painful things.
If you have pain up the back of the heels ( especially after walking uphill all day lift your heals with a heal lift. it felt seriously wonderful after a thirty km walk!
keep nails trimmed short ( i didn't really need that advice).
Use those round pink corm pads over rubbing areas or on the ball of your foot if that gets bruised.
Stand on a step with your toes only on it and lift and lower your self up and down as a great stretch at the end and start of the day.

Put you toes on the wall and raise and lower your heel as a good stretch.
Stop every so often and do lunges either low to the ground or on a park bench, low wall curb or other structure throughout the day.
This one might be hard to explain but I'm sure its on you tube. Sit on the ground with your legs straight out in front of you put your hands behind your bottom and lift yourself up, with ( ideally a roller but on the camino a water bottle will do) a water bottle behind your calves roll your self back and forth so the water bottle travels the length of your calf. you can have someone else roll something over your calfs if you have a willing assistant. This releases the tightness in your calves but amazingly in the tendons in your foot. Great for planter and achillies

Sorry for the length - just want to explain it right.

Much appreciated!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.