• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pre-Camino Syndrome

You have been before though. I go over my kit when I get back, and then I can pack the next time in ten minutes. My mom and I have a running night before leaving joke - Mom 'Have you packed yet?' Me 'No'.

And everyone is different. For me, a Spork is the most useless PITA. Hate portable washing lines, never used one. Miraculously survived several caminos without a suction hook or a laminated copy of my passport or a multitool. If it makes someone else happy to bring one, fair play to them. I bring a swimming costume, goggles and hat, and a net bag to stop washing machines destroying my bras. Only the overall weight really matters.

I am leaving on Wednesday on my first Camino, so I am a rookie and have started from scratch. I have spent months ( and an amount of money, that I don't like to think about) getting my gear together: Backpack, footwear, socks, pants, t-shirts/shirt, etc., etc. and I have spent days organizing it in my backpack in different (non-rattling) bags. It has been kind of funny but nevertheless I am looking forward to the day when I can do my packing in ten minutes and feel confident that I have done it right.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am leaving on Wednesday on my first Camino so I am a rookie and have started from scratch.
I am sure you will be very appropriately equipped! Your questions and comments have been very sensible, and you have responded gracefully to all suggestions. You seem to have taken the advice and put it to good use. On my first Camino, I took the suggestions seriously and ended up with exactly what I needed, at about 6 kg. I credit @mspath for her excellent advice and packing list!

Next time you will pack with more confidence, but you might take just as long, as you are perfecting the details (and enjoying it)!

Please keep us posted, and Buen Camino!

I am sure you will be very appropriately equipped! Your questions and comments have been very sensible, and you have responded gracefully to all suggestions. You seem to have taken the advice and put it to good use. On my first Camino, I took the suggestions seriously and ended up with exactly what I needed, at about 6 kg. I credit @mspath for her excellent advice and packing list!

Next time you will pack with more confidence, but you might take just as long, as you are perfecting the details (and enjoying it)!

Please keep us posted, and Buen Camino!

Thanks for your kind response –and that also goes to all the forum members that have given me good advice. I am pretty sure, that without that, I would have left on Wednesday with a 90 liter backpack of 20 kilos with a zillion things that I wouldn’t need.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.