• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pre-Camino Syndrome

Turga

Camino tortuga
Time of past OR future Camino
🐢. . . . . . . . .
I read about it on this forum, but being an academic and boasting a rational mind, I thought it was never going to happen to me, that it was not going to affect me. But it did, it has! All my thoughts are on this coming Camino walk six weeks from now; on details of equipment, footwear, training, and of course on how it is going to be. Can I do it? How will it affect me? I find it increasingly difficult to concentrate on daily chores; I feel I am wasting my time if I am not on a training walk, preparing for the next training walk, fiddling with my gear or at least doing some reading on Camino history and Camino experiences.

I have done a lot of travelling over the years, but this is the first time that preparations and anticipations have absorbed me totally for several months.

Serious symptoms, but oh, how delightful.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have done a lot of travelling over the years, but this is the first time that preparations and anticipations have absorbed me totally for several months.

This is perfectly rational. The Camino is not like any traveling you have ever done before, or course you have become absorbed in the preparations. Many of us do. Quite reasonably, you want to be prepared for whats to come. Sounds like you will be! These preparations, whether you know it or not, are as mental as they are physical. Your Camino has already begun, and it sounds like you are loving every minute of it. Only one thing left to say - Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is also the exact opposite: the lazy pilgrim syndrome.
1. As in "oh, no need to hurry...I have three weeks before leaving".:cool:
2. "But wait, now it is only three days!...ok, plenty of time, anyway". :rolleyes:
3. "Oh no, only three hours to be at the airport! I should have...
Ok, I will solve it on the spot, after arriving".:mad:

I have more 'bad' news for you though... It doesn't end with the culmination of your Camino! In fact that when it hits the hardest, the almost desparate craving to be back on the trail surrounded by like-minded people, enjoying great food and drink and most of all, a life simplified...! Buen Camino!

2. "But wait, now it is only three days!...ok, plenty of time, anyway". :rolleyes:

Wish I could adapt a little more to that thinking. I have spent the better part of a lifetime worrying in advance.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
He he ! :p

Just wait until you get back home and start olanning the next one. And yes, you will think about hear again, trying to make better, lighter, faster drying choices. :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Pre camino excitement is perfectly natural . I spent 3 years in moments of boredom at work reading and memorising the cicerone guide to the french way .
Ive just decided to return to the via de la plata in jan 2018 and already my child like excitement in the joy of planning is keeping me awake at night.
I am so envious of anybody heading to the Camino enjoy say hello to the peregrinos and most of all buen Camino .

My wife had an extensive spreadsheet before we left
She did another 4 as we walked before she gave up
If organising and planning is a big part of your life and work it is natural to try and plan your Camino
The problem is that the best plan is to be adaptable
(please note we did refer to those spreadsheets for specific information)

Your last line says it all "how delightful"

You cannot imagine the freedom that comes from putting on a backpack at 6AM and not knowing where you will eat breakfast, much less where you will sleep. Rest assured you will eat and you will sleep. When you get home you will spend as much time thinking about what you will do differently next time as you are spending now on over planning.

Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
With your CV! - how can I not believe you.
To be honest, this IS the best plan: Walk in earnest, take what comes, have no worries, do not set dates, just enjoy. The Camino has a place for you each day. Fear not. You will be fine, and you will experience a new form of freedom. Do not fear: All will be well, you will meet people that may become life-long friends, and you will hopefully find the freedom of the Camino. Just remember to let go, enjoy your freedom days, and relax, fellow Scandinavian.

Make food in the albergue kitchen with new friends whenever you can. Enjoy Spanish wine in the afternoons. Sleep long and well after long days.

Edit: I am very happy on your behalf, that you have decided to walk the Camino. If you let it, it will be a life-changer. Just let it in to you. And do not rush: I have seen so many people cry in Santiago when they realised that the walk was over, and suddenly understood that the WAY was the goal...

Last edited:
We are six weeks away from leaving home as well. I'm right there with you! My backpack is my favorite toy, walking is what I want to do most. I have spent a great deal of time figuring out what to take, what works on my walks, what layers, changes, could it be lighter ...... and the shopping (which I normally really dislike) has been a lot of fun, but fraught with "will it work"?

My brain has already left home.
And I have enough socks to last a life time.

PS. Hubby has not yet bought his shoes. Not even shopped for them.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I too have more sox than I need. I took 2 pair of Wright Socks and they were great. I bought 50 pounds of things that I might need and left 75% of it at home. When I got to Burgos, I mailed 5 pounds to myself at the PO in Santiago.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I read about it on this forum, but being an academic and boasting a rational mind, I thought it was never going to happen to me, that it was not going to affect me. But it did, it has! All my thoughts are on this coming Camino walk six weeks from now; on details of equipment, footwear, training, and of course on how it is going to be. Can I do it? How will it affect me? I find it increasingly difficult to concentrate on daily chores; I feel I am wasting my time if I am not on a training walk, preparing for the next training walk, fiddling with my gear or at least doing some reading on Camino history and Camino experiences.

We leave in a week - I've got the syndrome!!!

After Burgos, in Castrojeriz, you will find a small shop with an old gentle man in the town square. :)
I found him by accident after wearing holes in the only thin socks I had and I did buy Lorpen liners from him . Of all the socks I wore these alone have retained their shape and remain good enough to wear.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I leave in 23 days and I am NOT ready. I am NOT in shape. I have NOT walked enough or trained enough, but I have packed and repacked my backpack, and arranged for cat and plant care, and made a meeting place for my granddaughter when she gets to Lisbon after me. The first week will be hard, I know, and my heart will not be the only "Achey-Breakey" part of me.
So I'll be the slowest one on the trail (again).
But I'll be on the trail!!!
Yippee Kayee!

I have a rational mind also. I love to use it. But it is not enough. Life is much richer than Mr Spock would have us believe. Life can be wonderful for no good reason at all. And the Camino is a the most fantastic place to rediscover the wonder of life. Plan by all means, the rational part of us demands this and it is a good idea. But be prepared to think outside of the plan, to deal with what is rather than what the plan suggests should be. I am so envious, I would love to be going again. Enjoy the total experience, rational and irrational and Buen Camino!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We finished the Camino Frances in November 2016 ( SJJP to Santiago) , came home and had a very bad case of the "Camino Blues". The longing for the trail and the people. So in three days we leave for the UK ( a pre-vacation and warmup) Over to SJJP on Aug.10,2017 and then begin the Frances again, this time to Finistere & Muxia and back to Santiago and then we already have our travel arrangements made for the Camino de Norte in the late spring of 2018. This is the effect of the Camino and all it entails . It becomes part of you and you ..it. You try to explain it to people and fall short because you are not describing a vacation. The best way I can explain it, is that mimics life in every detail in a condensed amount of time. Don't over think it, the Camino has an ebb and flow to it, just go with it.

Buen Camino !!! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I leave in 23 days and I am NOT ready. I am NOT in shape. I have NOT walked enough or trained enough, but I have packed and repacked my backpack, and arranged for cat and plant care, and made a meeting place for my granddaughter when she gets to Lisbon after me. The first week will be hard, I know, and my heart will not be the only "Achey-Breakey" part of me.
Yippee Kayee!

Buen Camino to you!
I just returned from a 24 km. training walk with my backpack - that was really hard. I know i will be in for a treat when i hit the mountains in Spain. So maybe i will be the slowest on the trail....but that's fine.

Steen (El Camino Tortuga)

Yippee Kayee!

We set off August 10 from SJJP :) See you on the trail !!!
Buen Camino ~!!! :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I am having the same thing. I leave 8/14 and I thought I was rational as well. However, I can't stop thinking of the trip. I definitely am trying to have no expectations and have been training for some months with a full backpack but I have changed my mind on various things to bring or not bring.

This almost feels like a calling that I have some "priest friends" tell me when they decided on a religious life.

weird

We leave at the end of August and I feel the same way!! I find myself spending much of my free time reading various threads on this forum. I LOVE IT!!

I am overwhelmed by all the responses. It seems Pre Camino Syndrome is a fairly common condition (followed by Post Camino Syndrome – something to look forward to).

The good thing, of course, is that these conditions are benign, actually desirable, although at times a bit frustrating.

Hope to run into some of you nice people on the trail – Buen Camino to all.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am overwhelmed by all the responses. It seems Pre Camino Syndrome is a fairly common condition (followed by Post Camino Syndrome – something to look forward to).

The good thing, of course, is that these conditions are benign, actually desirable, although at times a bit frustrating.

Hope to run into some of you nice people on the trail – Buen Camino to all.[/QUOT

Buen Camino to you as well :)

ps: I think my family is getting sick of hearing about it though :)

the number of replies to this thread shows how common this syndrome is.

oh and I have just added another!!

The other symptom is the aches and pains in the few weeks before. Every little twinge you never noticed you had you become acutely aware of and you are convinced that some enormous medical calamity is about to befall you. Which of course it doesn't. I know a sports physiotherapist who loves the w€€ks leading up to the local marathon for this very reason !

The other symptom is the aches and pains in the few weeks before. Every little twinge you never noticed you had you become acutely aware of and you are convinced that some enormous medical calamity is about to befall you. Which of course it doesn't. I know a sports physiotherapist who loves the w€€ks leading up to the local marathon for this very reason !

What you say is a great consolation to me…

I know!!!!
It's like, wait! What was that? Did that hurt before?
That's swollen. Should that be swollen?
I've got a headache. Should I get an MRI?
Then I pour a glass of wine and say my favorite word,
Whatever.

We are (many times) talking about the call of the Camino. IMHO, it is like a whispering in the background. but it is a strong whisper, calling us back to the Camino, or, for firsttimers, calling us us to the Camino. You know when you hear it. There is a reason for this calling, so just follow it: It is good for you. Your life needs it. The Camino is a strange force indeed. It is not just a walk, if you understand the calling.

Last edited:

So well said, it seems as if I am in the same boat! I start Sept 1st. Been Camino!

I know!!!!
It's like, wait! What was that? Did that hurt before?
That's swollen. Should that be swollen?
I've got a headache. Should I get an MRI?
Then I pour a glass of wine and say my favorite word,
Whatever.
Or say "lo que, lo que sera" and pour a glass of wine!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I am in the exact same boat as you!! I finally booked my ticket, ordered my credential and guidebook, and the reality has started to set in! I've been reading this forum, watching videos and reading blogs, examining packing lists and scouring outdoor gear store websites and catalogues. It's very much on my mind and consuming most of my waking moments. My main worry right now is trying to get in enough time to train before I leave so I don't end up hobbling and limping for the first few days and also trying to figure out the best way to avoid blisters if at all possible! Oh and what pack, walking poles, shoes to buy... So many things to think about! Buen camino!!

Last edited:
I am in the exact same boat as you!! I finally booked my ticket, ordered my credential and guidebook, and the reality has started to set in! I've been reading this forum, watching videos and reading blogs, examining packing lists and scouring outdoor gear store websites and catalogues. It's very much on my mind and consuming most of my waking moments. My main worry right now is trying to get in enough time to train before I leave so I don't end up hobbling and limping for the first few days and also trying to figure out the best way to avoid blisters if at all possible! Oh and what pack, walking poles, shoes to buy... So many things to think about! Buen camino!!

I know what you mean!
Nice, isn't it :)
Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Actually, that is a good approach for many things. The only thing I can think of that you can't buy in any city and most villages is the data in your computer. Why struggle with how to keep your checked baggage under 23 kilograms when you can get what you need on arrival or along the way?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have just decided; I cannot resist the callling: I will be wal.king again in Sept. The calling is too stromg, so why not...

August 10, 2017(Frances again) and May 15, 2018 (Norte) It's futile to resist the irresistible, the Sept 2016 was just not enough ;)

Buen Camino !!!

August 10, 2017(Frances again) and May 15, 2018 (Norte) It's futile to resist the irresistible, the Sept 2016 was just not enough ;)

Buen Camino !!!
Enjoy another CF: It will be different than your first, but you will be more knowledgable and confident. It will be a good walk for you, I am sure. (I am 63, retired, so we are more or less in the same league) ;)

Buen Camino!

Enjoy another CF: It will be different than your first, but you will be more knowledgable and confident. It will be a good walk for you, I am sure. (I am 63, retired, so we are more or less in the same league) ;)

Buen Camino!
Thank You Alex !!! 67 here and you are right ... far wiser this time and will be walking it with a new set of eyes (metaphorically speaking). I saw what I saw the last time and after being home realized how much more I did not see ... literally.
Buen Camino !!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No, no. Pack socks. Thin, thick, wool, liners, wicking, water proof socks.
On this point I disagree.
I bought a pair of socks (camino arrows in the ankles) in Zubiri and walked in them almost daily to Santiago.

When I ditched my boots after 3 weeks I finished my Camino in socks and sandals!

Mine might not have been the best plan, I admit, but I did pack far to many pairs.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
To be honest, this IS the best plan: Walk in earnest, take what comes, have no worries, do not set dates, just enjoy. The Camino has a place for you each day. Fear not. You will be fine, and you will experience a new form of freedom. Do not fear: All will be well, you will meet people that may become life-long friends, and you will hopefully find the freedom of the Camino. Just remember to let go, enjoy your freedom days, and relax, fellow Scandinavian.

Make food in the albergue kitchen with new friends whenever you can. Enjoy Spanish wine in the afternoons. Sleep long and well after long days.

Edit: I am very happy on your behalf, that you have decided to walk the Camino. If you let it, it will be a life-changer. Just let it in to you. And do not rush: I have seen so many people cry in Santiago when they realised that the walk was over, and suddenly understood that the WAY was the goal...

Well said.. and true.

I totally agree! I am experiencing the same thing with frequent moments of suddenly feeling as if I am there, can feel the temperature, smell a forest path. Just crazy.

€149,-
Buen Camino to you!
I just returned from a 24 km. training walk with my backpack - that was really hard. I know i will be in for a treat when i hit the mountains in Spain. So maybe i will be the slowest on the trail....but that's fine.

Steen (El Camino Tortuga)

Steen,

There is no accolade or derision for being the fastest or slowest on the Camino. It took me 9 hours to walk from SJPP to Orrison. What I needed appeared before my eyes, every single time. Unfortunately, I was like Yost in the movie, "The Way," with too big a belly. That is now reducing and will be fully in control when I return next year. Just so everyone checks, not all weight is carried in your backpack and it is a very wise thing to leave as much lard at home as you can while doing those training walks. LOL. :D

Steen,

There is no accolade or derision for being the fastest or slowest on the Camino. It took me 9 hours to walk from SJPP to Orrison. What I needed appeared before my eyes, every single time. Unfortunately, I was like Yost in the movie, "The Way," with too big a belly. That is now reducing and will be fully in control when I return next year. Just so everyone checks, not all weight is carried in your backpack and it is a very wise thing to leave as much lard at home as you can while doing those training walks. LOL. :D

Hey Michelle

You are right – I will not go into any competition. If I miss my return flight from Santiago, so be it.

I watched “The Way” just a couple of weeks ago; an old movie, but it still has that “something”.

I see that you are on your way in more than one sense – that is good – Buen Camino!

(Me! – I can’t help getting excited at suppertime :))

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have more 'bad' news for you though... It doesn't end with the culmination of your Camino! In fact that when it hits the hardest, the almost desparate craving to be back on the trail surrounded by like-minded people, enjoying great food and drink and most of all, a life simplified...! Buen Camino!
Camino addiction.... the only cure is walking

I'm in that same place! I leave for Spain on Sept 1 and start my camino on Sept 3. I spent most of today organizing my paperwork/itinerary and practice packing my backpack. I became quite worried that it's too big to carry on. It's 55L! I bought it before doing any research about carry on size restrictions. Live and learn! BUT I'm traveling very light. I packed most of my items into it and leaving the top pocket unused. I cinched down all the straps and it looks like it will make it onto the plane. I also packed a sling bag that I'll use as a day pack (yes, I'm having my pack transported on my first, but hopefully not last, camino). Perfectly fine! Now I'm worried that they will think the sling is too big. LOL! I'm so very very excited! This trip is a gift to myself for my 60th birthday. I'm walking alone - from Sarria to Santiago. A baby camino - but good for a first timer, I hope. I love reading everyone posts! You are all so awesome! Buen camino!

I'm in that same place! I leave for Spain on Sept 1 and start my camino on Sept 3. I spent most of today organizing my paperwork/itinerary and practice packing my backpack. I became quite worried that it's too big to carry on. It's 55L! I bought it before doing any research about carry on size restrictions. Live and learn! BUT I'm traveling very light. I packed most of my items into it and leaving the top pocket unused. I cinched down all the straps and it looks like it will make it onto the plane. I also packed a sling bag that I'll use as a day pack (yes, I'm having my pack transported on my first, but hopefully not last, camino). Perfectly fine! Now I'm worried that they will think the sling is too big. LOL! I'm so very very excited! This trip is a gift to myself for my 60th birthday. I'm walking alone - from Sarria to Santiago. A baby camino - but good for a first timer, I hope. I love reading everyone posts! You are all so awesome! Buen camino!

I am still struggling to get my backpack weight below 8 kilos, but then also I have a backpack, which is on the heavy side, weighing 1670 grams empty. I may be leaving items behind on the trail as I realize I don’t need them – well, not on the actual trail, of course; I will leave nothing on the trail except my footprints.

I plan to reach Sarria on September 3; maybe we will meet – who know (but, of course, “even the best plan only holds until the first shot is fired”).

Buen Camino.

I paid 17 Euro/pair in Castrojeriz: Worth every cent. Must be something else you bought?
Ref. this link: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=lorpen+socks&tag=casaivar-20
Instead of making a wild guess about what “it” is, you could have read the quote and seen that it was underwear. And yes, they were €1 each.
But since you’re changing the subject to socks, yes, you still paid too much. I bought a pair of great trekking socks in Los Arcos for €8 and have since wished I had bought more.
The main point, though, is that the answer to "what to pack?" is "things that you can't buy cheap over here."

I have just decided; I cannot resist the callling: I will be wal.king again in Sept. The calling is too stromg, so why not...
It was 6 months before I didn't wake up every morning thinking about the Camino. About that time a friend told me that after listening to me talk about my Camino he was going to do the Frances. That was all it took. I am returning to the Camino, in September, with him to walk from Pamplona to Finisterre and Muxia. I have the syndrome and love it.

€60,-
It was 6 months before I didn't wake up every morning thinking about the Camino. About that time a friend told me that after listening to me talk about my Camino he was going to do the Frances. That was all it took. I am returning to the Camino, in September, with him to walk from Pamplona to Finisterre and Muxia. I have the syndrome and love it.
The syndrome is luckily incurable. I am returning to start walking from Pamplona 1-2-3 Sept. (Not decided exact date yet, I am very relaxed about it. Have to visit a friend in Madrid first, and who knows how long time that will take ;)).

Last edited:

Sounds like your Camino has already begun. . .

I am the same, leaving in 6 weeks, elated, excited and terrified at the same time. See you on the camino! We'll just do it!

€46,-
The syndrome is luckily incurable. I am returning to start walking from Pamplona 1-2-3 Sept. (Not decided exact date yet, I am very relaxed about it. Have to visit a friend in Madrid first, and who knows how long time that will take ;)).
I will look for you Alexwalker. We will be in Pamplona 2 days before we set off the morning of 1 Sept.

I will look for you Alexwalker. We will be in Pamplona 2 days before we set off the morning of 1 Sept.
As my plans are right now, I will arrive in Pamplona sept. 1 and start next day, but I may take the weekend in Madrid first :) CU & Buen Camino!

I wished I had taken more socks ... next time 6 pair I reckon
Well, I take 3 pairs of socks and 3 underwear. 1 more than most, but I hate to wash, so have more flexibility with that. But that being said, I bring 2 and buy one more pair of Lorpen socks from the old man's shop in Castrojeriz, in the town square. The best socks ever for the Camino. :) They are seamless and reinforced at the hotspots. Perfect.

Edit: Sorry for hijacking this thread. Let's get back to The Syndrome! :):)

Last edited:
I wished I had taken more socks ... next time 6 pair I reckon
Socks, like underwear, can be purchased in Spain. I wish I had more of the €8 trekking socks made in Barcelona that I bought in Los Arcos. Much better than the $15-20 items that I used to get in USA.

... and buy one more pair of Lorpen socks from the old man's shop in Castrojeriz, in the town square. The best socks ever for the Camino. :) They are seamless and reinforced at the hotspots. Perfect.
¡Aja! Los buscaré. Gracias.

Socks, like underwear, can be purchased in Spain. I wish I had more of the €8 trekking socks made in Barcelona that I bought in Los Arcos. Much better than the $15-20 items that I used to get in USA.
:) What many people do not understand (hence the stupid packing frenzy beforehand; seems like people believe they are going into a desert instead of into a higly cultural country with tradiditions from centuries before the US was "discovered"...) , is that Spain is a 1st world very sivilised country, where you can get anything you need, often at a fraction of the price in your home country, and most likely, better quality.

Regarding quality. F.ex. I would much more trust products bought in Spain than in Norway. This is my experience after many years in Spain. Having said that; Bus and train schedules in Spain are MUCH more reliable in Spain than in Norway, in my yearlong experience. Signs of a sivilised country in total control, IMHO. Highly apprecieated. Impressed.

Last edited:
Well, I take 3 pairs of socks and 3 underwear. 1 more than most, but I hate to wash, so have more flexibility with that. But that being said, I bring 2 and buy one more pair of Lorpen socks from the old man's shop in Castrojeriz, in the town square. The best socks ever for the Camino. :) They are seamless and reinforced at the hotspots. Perfect.

Edit: Sorry for hijacking this thread. Let's get back to The Syndrome! :):)

Well, it’s all part of The Syndrome I guess. I used to not think much about footwear or socks, not to mention feet. They were just some things attached to my body down there below, supposed to be doing their job and not to attract any attention. That all changed when I started doing long training walks with backpack three months ago. That brought the feet back to honor and dignity after many years of being ignored and I now think a lot about what they are doing for me and what I need to do for them. :D

:) What many people do not understand (hence the stupid packing frenzy beforehand; seems like people believe they are going into a desert instead of into a higly cultural country with tradiditions from centuries before the US was "discovered"...) , is that Spain is a 1st world very sivilised country, where you can get anything you need, often at a fraction of the price in your home country, and most likely, better quality.

Regarding quality. F.ex. I would much more trust products bought in Spain than in Norway. This is my experience after many years in Spain. Having said that; Bus and train schedules in Spain are MUCH more reliable in Spain than in Norway, in my yearlong experience. Signs of a sivilised country in total control, IMHO. Highly apprecieated. Impressed.

This is true BUT I don't want to spend any of my time in a shop :rolleyes: once I have arrived

This is true BUT I don't want to spend any of my time in a shop :rolleyes: once I have arrived
Well, I can understand that. But I also don't want to choose between paying a hundred dollars for "excess luggage" and paying more than that for a more generous airline.

Embrace the madness that is your Camino prep but, the day before you leave, re-evaluate your "stuff" and get rid of some if you can, you will find the simplicity of Camino life refreshing and you'll wonder why you brought 6 pairs of socks. The day before I left in May, I got rid of 18oz, you may laugh, that's what a half liter of water weighs. I needed the water, not the stuff I got rid of. Buen Camino!

Embrace the madness that is your Camino prep but, the day before you leave, re-evaluate your "stuff" and get rid of some if you can, you will find the simplicity of Camino life refreshing and you'll wonder why you brought 6 pairs of socks. The day before I left in May, I got rid of 18oz, you may laugh, that's what a half liter of water weighs. I needed the water, not the stuff I got rid of. Buen Camino!

Thanks –that’s good advice. I’m working on it. I already decided to skip my poncho (460 grams) and replace it by a backpack rain cover (210 grams) plus the rain jacket that I will bring anyway; yes, I may get wet, and so what? I will also leave my camera and charger (460 grams) and use the camera in my cell phone that I will bring anyway. I am down to around 7,5 kilos now (including weight of backpack) and counting…

One thing I used more than I thought, a plastic utensil, spoon on 1 end, fork on the other and it weighed basically nothing. One thing I used in many ways, a clothes line that I made. Only used it for clothes once, I made an emergency shoe lace for a fellow pilgrim and I tied some things to my pack with parts of it. It started out 10' it ended up about 5'. The pilgrim with the improvised shoe lace walked the rest of her Camino with it, she said it was a badge of honor. I've been home a month and writing about that brought a huge smile to my face.

Actually, I have thought about just getting to SJPdP with an empty backpack as nearly everything one could possibly need can be found there. Not sure I will ever try it. :)

Actually, I have thought about just getting to SJPdP with an empty backpack as nearly everything one could possibly need can be found there. Not sure I will ever try it. :)
An interesting(and brave) proposition...:eek::)
On the other side, I (as much as I can) try not to bring to Camino an equipment or garment that I had not tried before at least once in a "real" walk.
There are two sport trekking stores/curio shops in SJPP, "Destin Compostelle" and "Boutique du Pelerin", both in the old town. They will have the basic, but don't expect a great diversity of products.
I will be glad to hear about your project. Who knows? You may start a trend.

I certainly wouldn’t. Getting the bunch of gear together, that suits me and that I have confidence in, has been a process over several months. But I guess it also depends on your level of experience.

I wanted all my gear tested before leaving home. Weight, function, fit. Sometimes what I bought first worked great. Other times it took several tries and items to get the one that really worked for me. It's a process. Very glad I got an early start. Reading the threads here helped a great deal.

Hubby, on the other hand, has done almost no planning, no testing.
We each walk our own Camino, before we start to walk.

Last edited:
For me the syndrome seems a little different. I leave in three weeks for 7 weeks in Portugal and Spain. I haven't even looked at my pack or thought about packing. When the time comes I will throw a few items in the pack and hit the road. I am very excited and won't believe it is real until I am there again.

For me the syndrome seems a little different. I leave in three weeks for 7 weeks in Portugal and Spain. I haven't even looked at my pack or thought about packing. When the time comes I will throw a few items in the pack and hit the road. I am very excited and won't believe it is real until I am there again.

We are all different - thank God!

Buen Camino

I haven't even looked at my pack or thought about packing.
You have been before though. I go over my kit when I get back, and then I can pack the next time in ten minutes. My mom and I have a running night before leaving joke - Mom 'Have you packed yet?' Me 'No'.

And everyone is different. For me, a Spork is the most useless PITA. Hate portable washing lines, never used one. Miraculously survived several caminos without a suction hook or a laminated copy of my passport or a multitool. If it makes someone else happy to bring one, fair play to them. I bring a swimming costume, goggles and hat, and a net bag to stop washing machines destroying my bras. Only the overall weight really matters.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hate portable washing lines, never used one. Miraculously survived several caminos without a suction hook or a laminated copy of my passport or a multitool.
I still carry a couple of things I've never used. And I’ve survived a lot of trips without things that I nevertheless wish I had been able to take (and hope to take next time).

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.