• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pre-first camino nerves

michal.don

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte 2022, Camino Francés - April 2024
I'm starting my first camino on friday. Until now, I've been pretty excited, and looking forward to my first vacation this year. But as it's getting closer and closer, the excitement is getting mixed with slight nervousness. I guess that's quite normal? How have you felt before departing on a camino for your first time? I guess I want to hear that I'm not alone in this.... :)
Thanks,
Michal.don

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm starting my first camino on friday. Until now, I've been pretty excited, and looking forward to my first vacation this year. But as it's getting closer and closer, the excitement is getting mixed with slight nervousness. I guess that's quite normal? How have you felt before departing on a camino for your first time? I guess I want to hear that I'm not alone in this.... :)
Thanks,
Michal.don
Hi there, yes I understand completely! Rest assured that all will be fine. Make sure you know where your stuff is in your back pack. Try to get some good sleep and the Camino will show itself to you. Have a good one and trust the process! 🚶‍♀️

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was pretty anxious before setting off on my first Camino. First time alone abroad. Barely any Spanish and my French wasn't much better despite classes at school - and I had to travel through France to get to SJPDP. Turned out to be one of the most positive and formative experiences of my life. Within a few days the panic had gone and I was full of joy at the discoveries each day. I hope you find the same. Ultreia!

Thanks. I really appreciate it, I'll try to not let the "go fever" get me too much into thinking, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the first signpost and taking the first few steps :)
Michal.don

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You will be fine! I literally just got back form my first camino - the Portuguese from Porto. I was full off excitement and disbelief that soon became nerves, panic and incredulity. It turned out to be an amazing experience. Pack your bag, find that first marker and just start putting one foot in front of the other, it all comes together pretty quickly and a few days from now you'll be wondering what you were so worried about. Enjoy!

When the upcoming adventure is palpable, the nerves disappear. Be careful, keep masked around others as there is a small covid outbreak going on right now, and all should be fine, with plenty of stories to bring home.

Nervous on my first excited ,every time afterwards , enjoy you are hopefully going to have a adventure .
How many adventures do we get to pack into this life ?
Buen Camino and if your doing the French way and starting from SJPDP , make sure you kick the knee deep leaves like a 5 yr old would, after you cross the border Into Spain im envious .

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks,
Michal.don
Everything you are feeling is quite normal. I did my first Camino (Frances) alone, in May this year. I was so nervous, but within a few days those nerves disappeared and my time on the Camino was the most amazing experience I have ever had! Go and have a great time and make some everlasting memories. Buen Camino 🙏

Thanks,
Michal.don
I'm pretty sure we were all terrified leading up to Camino. I had panic attacks lol which I am able to laugh about now, but did cause me some worry. BREATHE! You will be fine. It will be the rewarding and fun and boring and painful and exciting and amazing.
Buen Camino, Peregrino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I began from SJPP two days ago and am having a blast! The visuals awaken my spirit for sure beginning with Orion in the morning sky to the horses, cows, sheep, breezes, fellow pilgrims all smilie. It’s so much fun to be part of this tribe. I am totally loving it and can’t imagine that you wouldn’t especially if you’ve been planning it. Nothing to fear - nothing.

Remember to start slow! Dn’t let the nerves or enthusiasm, emotions in general take over. Have a cognitive, concrete plan for the first few days and stay with it, unless your injured or you body s telling you it is too much! Don’t be lulled nto thnking you can go faster or farther. That is how blisters and injuries occur.
Have fun! BUEN Camino!

I think it is normal to feel that way. I was extremily nervous before I left - I was anxious about everything from being out of the country for the first time, having to navigate public transportation from bus/taxi to trains for first time, just the fear of unknown. Looking back I was anxious for no reason - it all worked out great.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you all so much :)
Buen Camino and if your doing the French way and starting from SJPDP , make sure you kick the knee deep leaves like a 5 yr old would, after you cross the border Into Spain im envious .
I'm doing the Norte, but I'm sure I'll find some suitable leaves for kicking there, too :)

Don't worry! The Camino provides. I was very nervous before take-off (third flight in my life) in my home-town. After getting from one airport to the next airport in Paris I was chilled. All worked out well.

As I arrived in SJPdP on the train on a sunday evening with extra office hours for the arriving pilgrims I knew that I am save and all nervosity and fear ended.

Be sure that you will make it. Passo a Passo you will reach your goal.
Stretch, take a deep breath, look behind you! The stress will leave, the joy will come!

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.