• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Pre or Post Camino Vacation

Maria Jo

Time of past OR future Camino
April (2019)
We are flying into/out of Madrid in April for our first Camino. Would like to spend a few days vacationing in the capital city either before or after our pilgrimage. Any thoughts on this from those who have walked before? I was originally thinking of a post-camino stayover, but now I’m thinking that I may not be in the right frame of mind immediately after SdC. I’ve heard a lot about the transition back to “normal life” and Camino withdrawal, and I just don’t know if I’ll be in “vacation mode” after walking.
Also, for those who have extended their stay to include a vacation: I would like to bring along luggage so that I have access to more creature comforts during our Madrid stay (ie nicer clothing, more toiletries, a hair dryer!!) Obviously I don’t want to bring all of this on our walk, but not quite sure how to go about having this stored for me while on the Camino. Is this something that Spanish hotels are generally willing to do? Or are there large lockers at airports? Sorry if this sounds like a silly question!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We had a few days in Madrid prior to our 2016 Camino. It was great and added to the anticipation of what was to come.

We have tried post Camino vacations. After a short Camino it worked OK, but after a long one we were really not into it physically or emotionally and just came home earlier....

For post Camino additional luggage we either sent it to Ivar or if departing from St Jean sent it via Express Bourricot (to send to Ivar from there would require International postage = checks, hold ups etc)

Express Bourricot send the luggage via van every 2 weeks.

Personally I would rather my luggage was waiting in SdC, as by the time I get there my plans might need to change..........

First time we didn't bother with extra clothes for post Camino. Pat was not happy wandering around Paris shopping in her hiking gear :oops: What was I thinking! :eek:

Last edited:
Also, for those who have extended their stay to include a vacation: I would like to bring along luggage so that I have access to more creature comforts during our Madrid stay (ie nicer clothing, more toiletries, a hair dryer!!) !

Just trying to put your mind at rest....
After walking from St Jean to Muxia with my minimum amount of clothing, I went on to spend a few days with my Spanish friends in Santander. I was slightly worried that my pilgrims clothes and my pilgrim appearance (no make-up, no jewellery lol) would seriously clash in a ‘normal’ setting especially as my friends are always very elegant. It didn’t!
I wouldn’t worry about it, as long as you have a clean outfit to wear.
I don’t know where you come from but you may find (as I do) that you can buy lovely clothes in Spain and much cheaply (I live near London). Same with toiletries.
As for a hairdryer, most hotels have one ;)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just trying to put your mind at rest....
After walking from St Jean to Muxia with my minimum amount of clothing, I went on to spend a few days with my Spanish friends in Santander. I was slightly worried that my pilgrims clothes and my pilgrim appearance (no make-up, no jewellery lol) would seriously clash in a ‘normal’ setting especially as my friends are always very elegant. It didn’t!
I wouldn’t worry about it, as long as you have a clean outfit to wear.
I don’t know where you come from but you may find (as I do) that you can buy lovely clothes in Spain and much cheaply (I live near London). Same with toiletries.
As for a hairdryer, most hotels have one ;)

Quite right. When I'm travelling on my own.....................no extra gear at all. Just what I carry. ;)

We are flying into/out of Madrid in April for our first Camino. Would like to spend a few days vacationing in the capital city either before or after our pilgrimage. Any thoughts on this from those who have walked before? I was originally thinking of a post-camino stayover, but now I’m thinking that I may not be in the right frame of mind immediately after SdC. I’ve heard a lot about the transition back to “normal life” and Camino withdrawal, and I just don’t know if I’ll be in “vacation mode” after walking.
Also, for those who have extended their stay to include a vacation: I would like to bring along luggage so that I have access to more creature comforts during our Madrid stay (ie nicer clothing, more toiletries, a hair dryer!!) Obviously I don’t want to bring all of this on our walk, but not quite sure how to go about having this stored for me while on the Camino. Is this something that Spanish hotels are generally willing to do? Or are there large lockers at airports? Sorry if this sounds like a silly question!
@Maria Jo
For your first camino, I would suggest taking a vacation after your camino, unless you live fairly close to Madrid, where you are beginning and finishing your camino. This time can therefore serve a dual purpose: extra time to take care of yourself during your camino, if you are sick, or injured, or just find that you prefer to walk your camino in a more leisurely manner than you have planned, or a vacation if you do have time left over at the end. So you will never have to consider cutting short your camino to get your flight home. If you live fairly close, or if money is no object, you can plan a vacation before your camino and just buy your return tickets, or replace them, whenever you are finished your camino. But this is not an option for many of us. And you will not want to rush your first camino. Happy planning and buen camino.

@Maria Jo
This time can therefore serve a dual purpose: extra time to take care of yourself during your camino, if you are sick, or injured, or just find that you prefer to walk your camino in a more leisurely manner than you have planned, or a vacation if you do have time left over at the end. So you will never have to consider cutting short your camino to get your flight home. I

That's a really good point @Albertagirl . I usually allow an extra few days at the end as a buffer......

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Maria Jo
For your first camino, I would suggest taking a vacation after your camino, unless you live fairly close to Madrid, where you are beginning and finishing your camino. This time can therefore serve a dual purpose: extra time to take care of yourself during your camino, if you are sick, or injured, or just find that you prefer to walk your camino in a more leisurely manner than you have planned, or a vacation if you do have time left over at the end. So you will never have to consider cutting short your camino to get your flight home. If you live fairly close, or if money is no object, you can plan a vacation before your camino and just buy your return tickets, or replace them, whenever you are finished your camino. But this is not an option for many of us. And you will not want to rush your first camino. Happy planning and buen camino.
This is the approach I use. Plus I wouldn't want to go straight home back to normal life right after the Camino. A few days spent traveling in Spain or elsewhere is good for "de-Caminoing" before going back to the stress and routine of daily life.
I like having my post Camino clothing (and hair dryer!) waiting for me in Santiago, then I'm ready to head off in any direction. When I started in St Jean I used the Express Bourricot service, and when I did the Norte I used the Post Office and sent my suitcase to Casa Ivar.

You can do both! The second time I did the camino, I flew into Madrid and spent a couple of days there. I did not go out to much to see any of the sights, I used the time to adjust from the jet lag. After the camino, I took a bus to Porto, a very beautiful city by the way.

Good luck.

Mark

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'd say after -- not only so that you'd have a safety net in case blisters or whatnot might force a rest day or 2, but especially so that you could turn your post-Santiago period into a genuine "return to reality" period via that return to Madrid (who knows, maybe even make it a mini-journey ?) and then home.

We hired a car post-Camino and drove South-West to Sanxenxo. There's a lovely place right on the beach called Casa Aurora. We swam, paddle-boarded and rested by the ocean. It was great to 'debrief' about the Camino while still in Spain.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I guess it depends on what you mean by vacation. Other than an extra days’ stay in Ponferrada at the start of a Camino in 2015, I think I would be too focused on my Camino to truly vacation. That same trip, we extended the end by going to Porto and Lisbon. It was great, different pace and just ambling about; no albergue to get to.
In 2014 after walking Leon to SDC, I flew to Italy to meet my husband, children and grandchildren for a week in Tuscany. I have to say my reentry into real life was a bit too abrupt. I vowed never to jump back in that abruptly after a period of reflection and relative solitude. I hope to walk next year, meet my husband for the last 100 km so we can get into “our groove” after being apart five or six weeks. I think I’m also looking forward to a slow end and seeing the last 100 through his eyes. From there, Barcelona, just to be tourists. We’ll see how that works.

Back