• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pre-Pilgrim times - photos of when you were young?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just realized something about this picture. I was in kindergarten at the time, and the name of my school was El Camino!
See, the original roots of your life! When I was in the 5th grade, we had to do a big report on a topic, not of our choosing. I picked out of a hat the subject, "Early Roads." Which sounded like the most boring topic imaginable at the time. Then I started to read about it... The foot trails in North America laid by indigenous people in ancient times that were followed by later peoples and finally became major paved highways. Historic routes in my country and others. Evidence of prehistoric trading of regionally specific goods; like seashells and parrots. I was completel intrigued after my research. I am now active in the Camino Real Association; a group that studies and visitis the sites of the original royal road used by the Indians, and then by the Spanish, to connect Mexico City to Santa Fe, in Nuevo Mexico. It connects me, in a real way, to the history of our region more than anything else could. And the Camino draws me in the same way.

I just realized something about this picture. I was in kindergarten at the time, and the name of my school was El Camino!
It is "weird" hot things like that happen. We recently moved and as I was going through (yet another set of) boxes to unpack I came across an object I was baptized with.... it is a scallop shell - whichnow whole of a sudden took a completely different meaning.
Then it also occurred to me that the person I was portraying in my 13 years of ACW Living History was named James.
Go figure!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had gotten a couple of big white scallop shells at a garage sale, not knowing about the Camino at the time, I simply liked them. Ironically I saw "The Way" a short time later and was fascinated by the "coincidence" of those shells.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Missed this the first time around. My most treasured photograph (so I don't share it lightly): Easter 1953 Dad was 48 - when he died 40 years later he'd hardly changed a bit

View attachment 132476

View attachment 132477

Me, at O Cebreiro, 50 years later

Heya ... oh dear, lockdown ... rambling mind had a thought - we meet pilgrims on Camino 'as they are' and virtually meet on the forum ... but what did we look like in our formative years, decades before we became the glorious and gorgeous heroes of Camino that we now are ..

I will start .... :D:D

Me at about 3 .. looking utterly bewildered and still stunned to find I had been born on the wrong planet by mistake ... I still am totally bewildered - (older child was my half-sister). Sandals, shorts, what not to like!!

View attachment 73527

at about 18 passport photo .. pretending I know the ways of the world and hoping my beautiful blue eyes will make all women fall into my arms ;)

View attachment 73528

And now?? at 72 saggy and baggy with a head like an old coconut that has been in the sea too long
(no photo - I break camera lenses).
I still like popsicles!

Attachments

• popsicle (2).jpg
    popsicle (2).jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 25
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just found this thread and the picture below was on the window sill next to me!

My only claim to fame in my life is that i was the heaviest baby born at the hospital for 52 years at 13 pounds and 12 ozs;I was also a month premature!
I haven't changed a bit over the years since this photo; just as gorgeous but wear long trousers now🤣
Woody
Just to add it does look a bit like Queen Victoria took it but not quite that old!!!

Attachments

• MY FIRST PICTURE.jpg
    MY FIRST PICTURE.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
(...) "is it wise to hike in jeans". Safe to say I had no idea at the time. 😂
🤣 ... my first real hiking after my army times was also in jeans. Decades ago, but I remember quite well how bad an idea that was 🙈

I was a pro with my army gear at that time, but had no clue how to do it as a civilian ...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
How terrific to see this thread revived David!

‘Then’ and ‘now’ for me …

Sun and sandy togs for my sister Franny (on the right) and me at Gunnamatta Bay, Cronulla, back in the early 60’s -

D585BE93-F547-4DA4-B698-3BF93BA04CD0.jpeg

And now a selfie with me in specs at Lubián on the Sanabres last May. Gala, who runs Casa Mariana there - was so kind and friendly - we chatted for ages -

2ED8381D-E797-43CF-857C-6AC1CE07A789.jpeg

Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Gosh I was young then ... I am not sure when exactly this was – some decades ago I would guess. All I remember is that those where quite some rough times still in Guatemala and that my path into the country was advised as by "armed convoy only" in my guidebook. I instead decided to blend in with the locals and remember sitting in an old rusty bus filled up with school children, old ladies with some chicken and toothless old men with machetes. Not the most clever idea when you cannot speak a single word of the language. But it certainly generated some stories to tell 🤣
camerica02_294.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just digitized my dear father's hundreds of old slides.. my first skies, remember them very well and the cool yellow outfit.. taken in 1975. The second photo taken one year later, him and me prepping. He was a skiing enthusiast, and these pictures are such precious memories for me *big hearts* PICT_001161.JPGPICT_001246.JPG

Last edited:
Me and some other kind of hiking gear quite some time ago.

I have been posting too many historical photos of myself on here... so this was the last one, promise! 🤣

View attachment 145774
Ohh, tough guy with tough weapon and camouflage... so many guys' dream... I really understand if this is a big memory, but I wonder if you could carry that weight hundreds of km today.. ;-)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
25 years ago in Chamonix - clearly before the internet and the ability to search for terms like "Ultra light packing", "how to fit your backpack" and "is it wise to hike in jeans". Safe to say I had no idea at the time. 😂

View attachment 139919
Think it looks like a smart girl, nothing is cozier than the thickest, most delicious sleeping bag.. or the most spatious tent.. ;-)

My brother and I,
ages 3 & 3/4's and 2 & 1/2 respectively:
IMG_261 (5).jpg

When it came to significant features these were the areas targeted by our older siblings who loved nothing better than to twist and pull and name call until we howled and screamed:
IMG_263 (4).jpg

As far as family tales go, my brother and I have legendary feet.... he for walking by age 9 months and, at age 2 1/2 for climbing into a bath tub full of boiling water and surviving it. A day or so later on the way back from hospital he opened the back door of the family van as it was moving and jumped out into traffic. It wasn't until Mum heard car horns blaring that she looked in the rear mirror and saw him. There he was, howling in the distance, walking along the road with heavily bandaged feet. My earliest memories are tinged with the smell of cotton gauze soaked in Brulidine cream.

IMG_261 (3).jpg

Last edited:
Ohh, tough guy with tough weapon and camouflage... so many guys' dream... I really understand if this is a big memory, but I wonder if you could carry that weight hundreds of km today.. ;-)
That is exactly the point! Looking at those images makes me feel old and weak ;-) Maybe I still could carry it, but I would suffer like hell ...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I had to add this one.
It's my favorite mostly because nobody believes it is true.
I had 13 living grandparents when I was born.
Grandparents, Great-Grandparents and Great-Greats on both sides, plus a set of Steps.
Here I am in the middle of 9 of them.
Two grandfathers were at work.
My set of steps were in another city.
All the rest lived in the same small town.
Yes, I was spoiled.

Attachments

• grandparents.jpg
    grandparents.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 25
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A couple more.
My Great Grandfather, who came here from the Azores, carved these boats. I used to love to watch him work. He didn't speak English - I can just hear his voice in my head. He'd fascinate me by peeling me an orange in a long strip and never breaking it. He'd make me bamboo fishing poles and wonderful kites made from balsa wood and newspaper. Such memories! I have one of his boats that I rescued. Saving it for my grandson who is at Annapolis.

The other photo is me in my favorite outfit. Oh, how I loved Hopalong Cassidy and Roy Rogers and all of those "shoot-em-ups!" I loved riding into the sunset!

Attachments

• Mewithboats copy.jpeg
    Mewithboats copy.jpeg
    290 KB · Views: 19
  • Cowgirl.jpg
    Cowgirl.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 25
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A couple more.
My Great Grandfather, who came here from the Azores, carved these boats. I used to love to watch him work. He didn't speak English - I can just hear his voice in my head. He'd fascinate me by peeling me an orange in a long strip and never breaking it. He'd make me bamboo fishing poles and wonderful kites made from balsa wood and newspaper. Such memories! I have one of his boats that I rescued. Saving it for my grandson who is at Annapolis.

The other photo is me in my favorite outfit. Oh, how I loved Hopalong Cassidy and Roy Rogers and all of those "shoot-em-ups!" I loved riding into the sunset!

Those boats are amazing!
So good that you rescued one for your grandson ❤️

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back