• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pre-Pilgrim times - photos of when you were young?

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
Heya ... oh dear, lockdown ... rambling mind had a thought - we meet pilgrims on Camino 'as they are' and virtually meet on the forum ... but what did we look like in our formative years, decades before we became the glorious and gorgeous heroes of Camino that we now are ..

I will start .... :D:D

Me at about 3 .. looking utterly bewildered and still stunned to find I had been born on the wrong planet by mistake ... I still am totally bewildered - (older child was my half-sister). Sandals, shorts, what not to like!!

1 Bewildered 1950.JPG

at about 18 passport photo .. pretending I know the ways of the world and hoping my beautiful blue eyes will make all women fall into my arms ;)

15 Passport 1968 or 9.JPG

And now?? at 72 saggy and baggy with a head like an old coconut that has been in the sea too long
(no photo - I break camera lenses).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A quote from Robin Hood: Show yourself child....the years have been kind.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Heya ... oh dear, lockdown ... rambling mind had a thought - we meet pilgrims on Camino 'as they are' and virtually meet on the forum ... but what did we look like in our formative years, decades before we became the glorious and gorgeous heroes of Camino that we now are ..

Me at about 3 .. looking utterly bewildered and still stunned to find I had been born on the wrong planet by mistake ... I still am totally bewildered - (older child was my half-sister). Sandals, shorts, what not to like!!

View attachment 73527

at about 18 passport photo .. pretending I know the ways of the world and hoping my beautiful blue eyes will make all women fall into my arms ;)

View attachment 73528

And now?? at 72 saggy and baggy with a head like an old coconut that has been in the sea too long

20190130_064612.jpg

That's me in St. Jean Pied de Port 16 years before I walked my first Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

View attachment 73527

View attachment 73528

How lucky you were at 18 not to have any spots! 😀
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My lovely wife and I backpacking in the Grand Canyon, 1988. None of that ultralight cr*p for me!
Looks pretty similar to my pack and loads at the time. Our contemporary backpack adventure was Yellowstone in '89 (our '88 adventure was a drive through Portugal and Spain).

I'm too chicken to send in anything post-preteen but I can't find my photoalbum of those times.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, when I was young. Note the hand made swimming trunks worn by a cousin, with elastic thread holding them up. My swimming costume, as it would have been called, was probably a hand me down from the eldest cousin, to her sister, to my sister, and finally to me...the photo was taken "Doon the watter" on a day trip by train, with half the town. There was a railway station before Lord Beeching axed it. I had better not continue as that would get this post of mine axed!
IMG_0507.jpeg

Beg everyone's pardon for "my indulgence" so to speak
Pretty much all of my youth pictures are at my mom's being the old paper photos. whatever I had personally unfortunately perished in our house fire back in the early 80s (TG nobody got hurt and thats all that matters)
So.... this is what i can cobble up from what I have (nice trip through the ages)

1965 - Alupka, Crimea (what then was USSR) with my Mother
kinda what @C clearly said - no idea how this sweet boy grew into me :rolleyes:
IMG_20151018_0001.jpg

2010-Trente cinq ans plus tard (what then was Ukraine, now Russia) with my wife
100_2755.JPG

"My Previous Life" (i.e. American Civil War Living History\Reenactment)
Ah'z rec'n it makes me 182 years young :)

2003 - Gettysburg, PA 140th Anniversary of the Battle ("Lt-Gen & Mrs James Longstreet")
2006 - reenactment field Bristol PA ("where are my re-reinforcements?")
Gen & Mrs CdV.jpeg Neshaminy Field 04-06.jpg

2011 - Camino Inca with my son
DSCF1356.JPG

Literally "last hurrah" pre-COVID19
2019 - Barcelona Spain (Ahhhh Tapas & Sangria)
20191116_182938_00.JPG

Last edited:
And then I am 50.

🎶
Издалека долго
Течёт река Волга,
Течёт река Волга — Конца и края нет.
Среди хлебов спелых,
Среди снегов белых
Течёт моя Волга,
А мне уж тридцать лет. 🎶

Part of an old Soviet song - here is the translation of above
The river Volga flows
From far away,
The river Volga flows -
There is no end.
Among ripe crops,
Among a white snow
My Volga flows
And I am already thirty years old.

Last edited:
@Turga
Well.... like it or not Generals dont go into an experimental subs ;) so ... NO!
that said (and I eluded to it in the explain your avatar thread) it is a cut-out replica of The Hunley which was used for the filming of the 1999 movie located where the sub actually lives now-a-days
We vacation in Murrell's Inlet SC pretty much every year and we always take a day trip to C-ton and I visit her every chance I get. Amazing how much work they did restoring. For a while you were not even allowed to take pics but you can now....
I also missed the burial of the crew by like 1 week. Lots of reenactment units from all over and the joke "in The Hobby" at the time was that the whole US ran out of black silk (the ladies were making widow weeps dresses)

Ah... those were the days... :)

Beg everyone's pardon for "my indulgence" so to speak
Pretty much all of my youth pictures are at my mom's being the old paper photos. whatever I had personally unfortunately perished in our house fire back in the early 80s (TG nobody got hurt and thats all that matters)
So.... this is what i can cobble up from what I have (nice trip through the ages)

1965 - Alupka, Crimea (what then was USSR) with my Mother
kinda what @C clearly said - no idea how this sweet boy grew into me :rolleyes:
View attachment 73644

2010-Trente cinq ans plus tard (what then was Ukraine, now Russia) with my wife
View attachment 73645

"My Previous Life" (i.e. American Civil War Living History\Reenactment)
Ah'z rec'n it makes me 182 years young :)

2003 - Gettysburg, PA 140th Anniversary of the Battle ("Lt-Gen & Mrs James Longstreet")
2006 - reenactment field Bristol PA ("where are my re-reinforcements?")
View attachment 73646 View attachment 73647

2011 - Camino Inca with my son
View attachment 73648

Literally "last hurrah" pre-COVID19
2019 - Barcelona Spain (Ahhhh Tapas & Sangria)
View attachment 73649
I enjoyed your indulgence, Buffy!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm too chicken to send in anything post-preteen but I can't find my photoalbum of those times.
I found the album. It was lying flat in a cabinet with things on top and in front of it. Here's the picture that I wanted to share with you.
IMG_20200424_165051.jpg
This was taken on the day that can count as the start of my walking and hiking life. I was six years old and hiking up Mt. Washington in New Hampshire with my father. In the picture I'm at the Halfway House on the trail up through Tuckerman Ravine. At the top of the ravine the wind took my hat. It is likely still flying around. At the peak it was windy and cold, something the mountain is noted for (visit the link above). I was allowed into the old weather observatory to warm up at the coal stove while my father arranged a ride back down the mountain on the auto road. The observatory had chains going over it and bolted to the mountain to keep it from blowing away in the winter winds (up to 231 miles per hour or 372 km/hr).

I've been back up there numerous times since, always bringing lots of clothing and shelter. In the last 20 - 30 years I've been making sure I take a commemorative hike up at least every five years. After the next one (in 2022) I may have to start doing one each year because I'm not sure I'll be able to hike a 2027 trip.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

€83,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Scan10003.jpg
Me and my sister on the left, I am about 8 years old. Playing soldier with my friends.
Milice 1974.jpg
About 1974, when I was a real soldier in the Canadian Army Reserve.
DSC05365.JPG
Camino Del Norte late May 2019, wishing I was a 20 years old soldier again.
vq05.jpg
Playing Soldier again, Armistice Day Ceremony in Quebec City in Canada in November 2019.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My sister, Joan and I, I was around 6 and she was 8, then I was 65 maybe, and she 67....but of course, reverse the pictures

Attachments

• 1C725079-FBEE-48C4-BDA1-82C089A041A0.jpeg
    1C725079-FBEE-48C4-BDA1-82C089A041A0.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 75
  • E7527DF2-4A6C-4B7E-8E3C-EA61A7B1FA4D.jpeg
    E7527DF2-4A6C-4B7E-8E3C-EA61A7B1FA4D.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 74
Hi Al,
A memorable photo! That's quite a hat you are wearing...and quite the balancing act by turning your thigh into a table surface for your meal!
My son walked the John Muir trail a couple of years ago; his all time favorite, surpassing the AT, and Colorado Trails. His photos were spectacular!

View attachment 73527

View attachment 73528

Thank you! These are priceless. I'll bet we here on the forum would find a photo of the "now you" more than acceptable.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't have any photos digitalised from my early years. This one would be the oldest, my mid 20's, 2nd year of Academy for Theater, Radio, Film and Television studies :)

Attachments

• director.jpg
    director.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Breaks your heart doesn't it, to see yourself as a child?
Who among us could have guessed how our lives would pan out?
I remember having such big dreams when I was a kid. The days were big and full of possibilities and adventure. It felt like the whole world belonged to you, that you could do anything and you'd have a million years to do it all. And before you know it, 60% of it has passed before you even start to know yourself. Then you desperately try to work out how to make best use of the remaining 40% and wish that you still had 60%.
Isn't it amazing just how far we travel in the span of a life? Yep, it sure does break my heart to look at old photos. School photos are the toughest ones.
Time's ticking and we're all itching to get back onto the Camino.
I have a keen eye on that 40%.

Last edited:
Well, I feel my body wearing out and try to maintain my function, and my ability to walk caminos, as long and as well as I can But I have been becoming myself over the 72 years that I have been alive and I am reasonably content with the results. My life is fairly comfortable. I have some whom I love and have maintained contact with over many years. I have my faith and my hope for a new adventure when this one ends. I am counting my blessings.

No, actually not.
Sure, lots of dreams have gone by the wayside, because you can only do so much. And in retrospect I might have chosen to do some things differently if I'd known then what I know now. But I wouldn't change anything, (many) mistakes and all. It's the mistakes that have taught me more than anything else. And one of the best things age has taught is contentment...

€46,-
Who among us could have guessed how our lives would pan out?
I remember having such big dreams when I was a kid. The days were big and full of possibilities and adventure. It felt like the whole world belonged to you, that you could do anything and you'd have a million years to do it all. And before you know it, 60% of it has passed before you even start to know yourself. Then you desperately try to work out how to make best use of the remaining 40% and wish that you still had 60%.
Isn't it amazing just how far we travel in the span of a life? Yep, it sure does break my heart to look at old photos. School photos are the toughest ones.
Time's ticking and we're all itching to get back onto the Camino.
I have a keen eye on that 40%.

Like your comment "Who among us could have guessed how our lives would pan out?"
In between my Grandmothers table (1967) playing with plugs and screwdrivers, I studied Marine Biology.(82-85)
But in the end I Guess I came back to what I was supposed to do - Freedbird Castaneda (2015- Present)
By the way all the lights and socket work :):):) Buen Camino

Attachments

• Early Days.jpg
    Early Days.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Later Days.jpg
    Later Days.jpg
    652.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Paid Off In The End.jpg
    Paid Off In The End.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 47
The little fella is me.
At that time and in that place we .....
Had no idea electricity existed,
had never laid eyes on a tap with water coming out of it,
didn't know there was something called the sea,
had never set eyes on something made of plastic,
there were no pens only pencils and nib pens,
had never seen a car or bus or truck or tractor,
lived with wolves and bears in Winter,
got stung by bees and wasps in Summer,
and saw my first ship and the sea in the 60s.
1601614337446.png

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Watching the weather for my April 26-May 1 walk. Too early to see the future, and now my question: Disposable ponchos( maybe 2) or more reliable poncho? Just carrying a very small backpack( bags...
Hi Everyone, This is kind of embarassing! I am leaving in 2 days, for my 3rd Camino and will primarily be walking the Camino Frances in April. My previous Caminos have been in June and June/July...
if needed, can I purchase a rain poncho along my upcoming route from Tui to Santiago de compostela? As I watch the weather forecast for April 25-May 1st it appears TODAY that there will be very...
I will be starting my walk in May 2024. I will have my iphone with t-mobile service, which works fine in most of Europe. My question is for those of you who have been on this route, and had your...
Preparing from Tasmania (island state of Australia) to walk about a month of the VP at my slow pace (maybe average 15km/day) with just the essentials on my back (so currently obsessed with the...
Hi All, Rachel from UK here. I walked part of the Camino in 2019 (6days from Pamplona). Last year I walked Frances until Leon. 2024 is the route to Santiago. Any tips from Leon to Santiago...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back