• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pre registering for a Compostela

AnneLondon

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Can anyone post a link for pre registering for Compostela please? I intend to get to Santiago on the 24th May and as I'm leaving early on the 25th, I'd like to make getting my certificate as easy as possible. Thanks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you so much forcresponding so quickly! So just to be clear I send a request for pre heistration and a photocopy of my ID to the email address? Should I say when I intend to collect my Conpostela as well?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have not used the new system myself and I have no intention of doing so in future. Perhaps some recent arrivals who have completed the process will be able to answer.

Asking for a friend..... If I go into the English version I am offered one option....."Create a Group". I presume this is a sort of typo. Can they just use it for one person??
Yes. Just a bug in the software. Your friend can be a group of one.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you so much forcresponding so quickly! So just to be clear I send a request for pre heistration and a photocopy of my ID to the email address? Should I say when I intend to collect my Conpostela as well?
Hi, @AnneLondon, the link posted by @Bradypus that unfurls into a stupid label ("Acceso agencias") is not an email address, it is a web address. Just click on the link and follow the instructions. The webpage is badly designed and has not been updated for months. It is best done in Spanish where the labels of the various buttons make sense.

The webpage is for a) individual pilgrims and b) groups/agencies. The "group/agency" part is not accessible to the regular pilgrim. If you are two or more pilgrims, you have to fill in the online form for each one of your group individually.

Further to my earlier comment, this is how it works now in May 2023:

Once you have entered all the required information into the online form and pressed the right buttons, and provided that you did not make a typo when entering your mobile phone number and your email address, you will
  • on your screen, see a code composed of the registration date (ie 2305 if done today) followed by four letters and a QR code (<-- you can ignore this!)
  • receive an email containing a code composed of the registration date followed by four letters and a barcode
  • receive an sms containing a code composed of the registration date followed by four letters and a barcode
When arrived at the Pilgrims Office you will need to present the code composed of date/four letters and the barcode, and you also will need to get a ticket with a number for a waiting line.

It is simple and straightforward.

You can start the registration process any time you like. If you are short of time, try to arrive as early as possible in the day at the Pilgrims Office. However, waiting lines are apparently rather short nowadays.

@AnneLondon, you mentioned sending a photocopy of your ID to an email address. This is mentioned at the beginning of the registration webpage. You can ignore it. This is standard text about data protection under the EU's GDPR law. You only need to do this if you want to have the personal data corrected or erased that you share with the Pilgrim Office. An unlikely request for most of us.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks to everyone for the input and advice. We will be walking from La Laguna and I can‘t see it on the commencement list. I can see Ponferrada and Cebreiro (but not O Cebreiro - is it the same thing?) but not La laguna. Any advice please?

La Laguna? Where’s that? Cebreiro is likely O Cebreiro, you can even try it with the Irish O’cebreiro if you like.
Ah, found one, near Fonfria, is that it?

Thanks to everyone for the input and advice. We will be walking from La Laguna and I can‘t see it on the commencement list. I can see Ponferrada and Cebreiro (but not O Cebreiro - is it the same thing?) but not La laguna. Any advice please?
Just select (O) Cebreiro, you’re clearly starting outside the prescribed 100Km so the pilgrim reception don’t care, and the distance certificate’s a souvenir, so no need for precision.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
La Laguna? Where’s that?
I'm guessing that @AnneLondon means Laguna de Castilla, as there is no La Laguna listed on Gronze. I'm not surprised that the Pilgrims Office doesn't list it as a starting point as it's probably rare that pilgrims start at such a small town with only one albergue.

Screenshot_20230513_022944_Firefox.png

As others have said, just use Cebreiro as your starting point.

We will be walking from La Laguna and I can‘t see it on the commencement list. I can see Ponferrada and Cebreiro (but not O Cebreiro - is it the same thing?) but not La laguna. Any advice please?
La Laguna is short for La Laguna de Castilla. This location can be selected in the list of starting points of the Camino Frances when one fills in the online form for applying for a Compostela (see below). The list is not ordered in any discernibly systematic way.

Once you have filled in all your data, you press "Create a group" although you can fill in this form only for a single person. It is the only button you can press apart from the button labelled "Go back". The lack of other choices must be the reason why this setup "works". 🤭

PS: If you start typing Lag in the box next to "Starting point", the name will appear. You don't have to scroll down.

Laguna.jpg

Last edited:
La Laguna is short for La Laguna de Castilla. This location can be selected in the list of starting points of the Camino Frances when one fills in the online form for applying for a Compostela (see below). The list is not ordered in any discernibly systematic way.

Once you have filled in all your data, you press "Create a group" although you can fill in this form only for a single person. It is the only button you can press apart from the button labelled "Go back". The lack of other choices must be the reason why this setup "works". 🤭

PS: If you start typing Lag in the box next to "Starting point", the name will appear. You don't have to scroll down.

View attachment 146954
Thank you, @Katharina, this is very much appreciated.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just for entertainment: If anyone thinks that the English as well as the German and Italian version of the registration webpage are poorly done ... it gives you at least the choice between "Go back" and "Create a group" 😅.
English.jpg

Have pity with the French speakers: The registration webpage in French has two option buttons where both are labelled as "Go back" (Revenir en arrière).
French.jpg

The Spanish registration webpage makes sense: "Alta individual" means "Individual file".
Spanish.jpg

Just for entertainment: If anyone thinks that the English as well as the German and Italian version of the registration webpage are poorly done ... it gives you at least the choice between "Go back" and "Create a group”.
Great news!!! They have finally rendered more parts of their webpages for registration for a Compostela and distance certificate into easier to comprehend English. American nationals will now find their option for nationality under “United States of America” and not under “Estados Unidos”. Options are in alphabetical order according to the rules of the chosen language version.

And I am missing the familiar “Create a group“ button already 😅. It is now labelled as “End registration”.

Some delightful, amusing or puzzling pecularities remain but I leave it to you to discover them. :cool:

https://oficinadelperegrino.com/registro-individual/ with nine language versions: gl, es, eu, ca, en, fr, de, it, pt.

Hi all,
The kiosks in the foyer of the Pilgrim office are a breeze to use, and fast. At least they were last week. But there were only two of them working that I could see.
All the best,
Paul

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
What is also new: Group registration!!! You can now register a group of pilgrims to apply for their Compostelas by making use of a single request form, something that was not possible to do for the humble peregrin@ on the previous version of the registration webpage, it only looked as if you could.

But group registration works now. You can create a list and then add the personal details of the members of your group or just the personal details for yourself and for your partner when you walked as a couple for example. Neat.

Also, as you can see below, the links to the registration webpage for individual and group registration now unfurl into something meaningful and no longer into the mysterious and misleading "Acceso agencias" as it did before.

Last edited:
PS: I see that the "Acceso agencias" link is still live (it makes sense to keep it operational during a transition period) but I would suggest to not post it anymore as it leads to the old version of the registration webpage and not to the new one.

I registered as individual but got an email from groups@?
Hope it’s still ok. Anyone knows how Uke situation about people amounts is today? I will arrive rather late…

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.