• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pre Trip Anxiety

bobotron801

Time of past OR future Camino
Oct 2016, Oct-Nov 2017, April-May 2019, Oct 2019
I leave for the Camino in 20 days. And although this is my 3rd Camino I’ve got a lot of Pre Trip Anxiety. I’m confident in my gear but I’ve also only ever walked Oct/Nov. So going April/May is new and kinda scary.

Any words of encouragement or tips to easy this would be greatly appreciated.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
T-8 to the Norte and feeling the same. The heel spur is not helping but I know once I am on the airplane and then on the ground in Spain all will be right with the world.

April/May for me on the Frances last year was a lot of rain, mud, cold mornings and some snow but overall beautiful walking weather, it was an amazing walk. No worries, no crowds with quiet walking up to Sarria. You will see larger amounts after Sarria so I suggest starting earlier or later and stopping before or after major stopping points. Easter walking you will see some crowds and you may consider reserving on those days due to the amount of spanish pilgrims and school children on the trail. Stop in Melide Albergue and Pulperia Ezequel for amazing Pulpo and atmosphere. You will have an amazing walk. Buen Camino Peregrino!

You haven’t said which Camino you’ll be doing, but I did the Francés in April and May. The Napoleon route was closed due to snow so we went via Valcarlos, and we had unseasonably hot weather going into Santo Domingo. One thing I noticed is that those lovely trees that are all over the place and everywhere - pruned down to their very stubs - were still completely leafless. I would have loved to see the parks and plazas when these trees were in leaf. And I saw primulas growing in the wild I think somewhere near San Juan de Ortega.
All was beautiful
Have a wonderful walk. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@bobotron801.
Take a deep breath. You do know how to do this. Once your feet hit the ground you'll be back in the old familiar groove - but with spring welcoming you wherever you go. It's gorgeous. Fields are green, almond trees are blooming, and the storks are nesting...
I've walked March/April/May...and each is wonderful in its own way.
You may need to be flexible if the weather is bad on day 1 - and you can encounter epic mud or cool rainy spells. So if you are sensitive to cold consider taking a beanie and gloves, and make sure you have good rain protection.
But other than that?....just...buen camino!

@bobotron801.
Take a deep breath. You do know how to do this. Once your feet hit the ground you'll be back in the old familiar groove - but with spring welcoming you wherever you go. It's gorgeous. Fields are green, almond trees are blooming, and the storks are nesting...
I've walked March/April/May...and each is wonderful in its own way.
You may need to be flexible if the weather is bad on day 1 - and you can encounter epic mud or cool rainy spells. So if you are sensitive to cold consider taking a beanie and gloves, and make sure you have good rain protection.
But other than that?....just...buen camino!

Thank you 🙏 I do great in fact I’m best when the weather is colder. I am excited to get my feet on the ground and it seems I will be fine once I’m there! Thanks again.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Serious anxiety here as well! Leaving april 4th for the Camino Frances. Due to a severe cold, for over a month, leading to an laryngitis last week leaves me without training for a month. This means I have three weeks to get back in some sort of shape for my first Camino. And to train with my total gear (haven’t had a chance to do this). I will see what happens and hope the Camino will provide some way...

Hi @bobotron801, I may be ahead of you but not for long I'd say ;) I'm starting in Burgos around April 12th however I'll be going slowly and not very far each day for the first week until i get my feet under me so you'll probably skip past me some day smiling happily to yourself as you'll be flying form by that time. And if you've already gone past Burgos by then please warm it up for me :)

Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I leave for the Camino in 20 days. And although this is my 3rd Camino I’ve got a lot of Pre Trip Anxiety. I’m confident in my gear but I’ve also only ever walked Oct/Nov. So going April/May is new and kinda scary.

Hi, bobotron . . .

Take a deep breath. Write down in large letters the reasons why you want to go on Camino. Place that piece of paper where you can see it every day. That way, if anxieties and fears threaten to overwhelm you as you approach your departure date, you can just breath, read what you have written, and focus on those reasons until the negative stuff fades.

Remember that you have already done this. This season is different, but the basic logistics and the daily walk from village to village are the same. So focus on all of the things that will be the same.

Starting two days after you. April 3 that is, or 4 if I decide for a relaxed start. It is my first Camino ever but there is no anxiety at all yet. The walk is long enough so there will be a lot of things happening which I cannot influence. Good things and bad things. For certain. As control is out pf my reach for most things, there is no reason for anxiety. 🆒 not sure if this helps for you. But this is the way I function.
So simply walk and accept the good and the bad that is to come :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Serious anxiety here as well! Leaving april 4th for the Camino Frances. Due to a severe cold, for over a month, leading to an laryngitis last week leaves me without training for a month. This means I have three weeks to get back in some sort of shape for my first Camino. And to train with my total gear (haven’t had a chance to do this). I will see what happens and hope the Camino will provide some way...
I leave on 2nd April and share your anxiety - I've very little training done due to knee pain and I am ever so anxious regarding carrying bag - I have done camino in stages before and have never carried bag - I'm 72 years - really considering using bag transport - especially from st jean to roncheville with stop over in orisson- hopefully I can do this ?????

I am also a bit nervous. Blisters, gear, rain - it all goes in circles in my head. I am starting the camino March 28th, never been out there this early spring before. I only walked in May and October before. This is the first time I will do the whole Camino Francés starting in SJPP. However, I can’t wait to be out there!

I am also a bit nervous. Blisters, gear, rain - it all goes in circles in my head. I am starting the camino March 28th, never been out there this early spring before. I only walked in May and October before. This is the first time I will do the whole Camino Francés starting in SJPP. However, I can’t wait to be out there!

If I can help you with any of those issues, feel free to send me a PM, and I will do my best to assist you. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I leave on 2nd April and share your anxiety - I've very little training done due to knee pain and I am ever so anxious regarding carrying bag - I have done camino in stages before and have never carried bag - I'm 72 years - really considering using bag transport - especially from st jean to roncheville with stop over in orisson- hopefully I can do this ?????
You can do this.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am leaving on 15 April for my 4th time on El Camino Frances. Since I am 73 years old, I cut myself some slack and always use baggage transport. Try
CaminoFacil.com. They are extremely reliable and convenient. You can set your transport requirements and pay for them online. No fuss. No muss.

I also am doing my 3rd Camino this summer and i, too, am feeling anxious. I will be walking alone for the first week which I've never done before. For some irrational reason I am anxious about getting from the airport to the Camino and anxious about whether I will meet people while I walk solo. I keep reminding myself of all the single walkers I became so close to on my prior walks! Hopefully, once i put my feet on the Way the anxiety will dissolve and all will be well.

I am 70 and beginning March 30 on the Frances. My friends and I walked it in 2017 in Apr/May. Perfect weather. Very little rain, cool mornings and beautiful scenery- yellow fields and red poppies! Whatever this year’s weather brings, I know it will be wonderful. We plan on taking it slowly so you’ll probably pass us, too! Say hello if you see a six foot tall woman with a Texas flag badge on her backpack. Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For some irrational reason I am anxious about getting from the airport to the Camino and anxious about whether I will meet people while I walk solo.

You will not be able to avoid meeting people ;-) Especially if you are one of us solo walkers :cool:
Some years ago I talked to someone who was quite the opposite, afraid of having to talk to too many strange people.

In 2014 we walked into Santiago in mid-April. My memory is, it was perfect walking weather - for me. Cool. With little rain. You are an experienced walker - you’ll be fine, I am sure.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am leaving on 15 April for my 4th time on El Camino Frances. Since I am 73 years old, I cut myself some slack and always use baggage transport. Try
CaminoFacil.com. They are extremely reliable and convenient. You can set your transport requirements and pay for them online. No fuss. No muss.
Thank you do much I will do this ' we will p probably meet up 9n camino as o will b e travelling sloooooow

I also am doing my 3rd Camino this summer and i, too, am feeling anxious. I will be walking alone for the first week which I've never done before. For some irrational reason I am anxious about getting from the airport to the Camino and anxious about whether I will meet people while I walk solo. I keep reminding myself of all the single walkers I became so close to on my prior walks! Hopefully, once i put my feet on the Way the anxiety will dissolve and all will be well.

Interestingly enough this will be my first time walking with someone. I will have my little sister with me. But the first two times when I walked 'alone' I had made friends with people before I ever made it to Orisson for a beer. Also my 2nd camino I was really nervous to travel to SJPP. And I made friends at the Biarittz airport and we all jumped in the same bus together before ever starting the Camino. fast forward a few weeks when I got to Sahagun I ran into one of the guys I met in the airport.

I am 70 and beginning March 30 on the Frances. My friends and I walked it in 2017 in Apr/May. Perfect weather. Very little rain, cool mornings and beautiful scenery- yellow fields and red poppies! Whatever this year’s weather brings, I know it will be wonderful. We plan on taking it slowly so you’ll probably pass us, too! Say hello if you see a six foot tall woman with a Texas flag badge on her backpack. Buen Camino!
Sounds Good see ya out there Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I found the CaminoFacil.com as a domain that is up for sale. So that company is either out of business or has changed name/changed website name.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
First timer, departing SJPdp April 10... slight anxiety for a different reason. Taking my wife with a back injury and an 11, 16, and 18 year old.

Then again, we're just walking from town to town and following yellow arrows, right? Sounds kinda easy.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I hope your knee will get better! If in doubt, I would give bag transport a go! Especially in the beginning. Good luck and maybe we’ll meet on the way!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You will not be able to avoid meeting people ;-) Especially if you are one of us solo walkers :cool:
Some years ago I talked to someone who was quite the opposite, afraid of having to talk to too many strange people.
Hi all, my Daughter an I are walking out of St jean,, on the 9th April. Last year I did it with others on the 13th April got to orrison and had to go back and do the valley so this time the valley is the first option. How ever on the day if the route over the top is open then we may give it a go.
I went over the top in August 2017 33 deg, nearly killed me.
But we will all get through others will help you. You will help others. That's the camino. God bless.

I hope your knee will get better! If in doubt, I would give bag transport a go! Especially in the beginning. Good luck and maybe we’ll meet on the way!
Thank you Lisanne I will wait and see we may meet up- look out for the slow irish lady - that will be me ???? Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
WOW Thank you all for your responses! It sounds like there's a great chance I might run into a few of you. I wont arrive to SJPP til April 3rd and I'm starting on the 4th.

Buen Camino, thank you again everyone!

We’ll be walking at the same time but not the same Camino :) I am always a bit nervous when starting on a walk so I consider your anxiety as perfectly ‘normal’! Especially when starting in April as I am definitely a ‘fair weather’ pilgrim and much prefer the heat of Summer:cool:.
I am quite sure it’ll go when you (we) start walking. Enjoy and buen camino! :)

Landing in Madrid in 12 days so I have an idea how you feel. My latest project has been to use google maps to mark 88 and counting locations on the Camino Frances. This is even with me having six camino apps on my iPhone. Yesterday was a hard day training Hike so while I rest today my mind gets to play and plan. Someone in another post started a massage on the camino thread. Looks like I will be adding additional pins to my map soon. Buen Camino. Rafa

@bobotron801 My first camino Frances was in Sept/Oct and my second was April/June. I preferred the spring camino. Everything is green and the flowers are beautiful. But the big difference was the length of the day. It was nice to have the days getting longer as you walk. Just know that it is normal to be feeling anxious before heading off on a big adventure. I think others have given you good advice on dealing with your nerves (@VNwalking), @davebugg)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Lisanne @Maura Barry :) So it seems there will be a pair of Irish women with dodgy knees walking slowly, I'll be the red haired one with the blue pack and an umbrella 👩‍🦰👛🌂
Buen Camino!
I'll be the short brown hair one with probably no pack and a small bag on back - I'll watch out for you- Buen Camino 🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I found the CaminoFacil.com as a domain that is up for sale. So that company is either out of business or has changed name/changed website name.
The correct url is caminofacil.NET (not .com). My mistake. My apologies. The business is alive and well.

Here's how I look at it: what's the worst that can happen? Shin splints, terminal blistering, weather forecast for four inches of rain every day the the next two weeks, bubonic plague outbreak that closes all the albergues? So what? You are still in Spain, a beautiful country with lots to see. Break out the credit card, hop on a train and visit Toledo, Salamanca or maybe even the coast. How can you go wrong if you go with the flow? There's no reason to be captive to ANY itinerary if you aren't enjoying it.

Don’t worry about a thing. I am going in May for 12 days. Would love to do all the Camino but work doesn’t permit this. My only advice is to get Salamon boots and non blister socks. If you feet are good, all else will be great...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Here's how I look at it: what's the worst that can happen? Shin splints, terminal blistering, weather forecast for four inches of rain every day the the next two weeks, bubonic plague outbreak that closes all the albergues? So what? You are still in Spain, a beautiful country with lots to see. Break out the credit card, hop on a train and visit Toledo, Salamanca or maybe even the coast. How can you go wrong if you go with the flow? There's no reason to be captive to ANY itinerary if you aren't enjoying it.
Exactly my sentiments.

I'm leaving in 18 days for the very first time and I am too ignorant to be anxious.
Leaving in 30 days for my very first as well (Frances), also ignorant, also less anxious! In the beginning stages of planning I tried to gather all the info I could. Then woke up one day to realize that I was taking the fun out of it! I do not want to know exactly what to expect. I cannot control the experience I will have anyway. On the few occasions that I find myself drifting back into the planning (or over-planning) my anxiety goes way up. Letting it all “be as it will be” is exactly what is keeping me grounded, at peace, and truly looking forward to my adventure!! That said, having lived in Florida, USA for the past 20 years, where “winter” means 55 degrees Fahrenheit , I’m a little nervous about having the proper attire for the cold!

Yes,you can have your luggage transported from SJPP to Roncevalles. And yes, do not feel any guilt about it. I used adaypack for my cross Pyrenees day and at the age of 70 I felt that was fair enough! I had a lovely 9 hour walk and know that it would have diminished my joy at starting off feeling overwhelmed with a full pack. It’s a hard climb. Give yourself a break if you are in your seventies.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Four out of five Camino's have started in early April. It was only this past September that we walked our first fall Camino when we walked the Primitivo.
We have always been fortunate when it comes to our Camino weather. I think in five years we have had our rain ponchos on for maybe a maximum of half a dozen times and never for a full day. Likewise, never any real issue with mud or at least not something we could not pick our way around.
One thing about a spring Camino is that everything is very green with spring flowers, except for the trees which in early April have not leafed out yet. I like cooler walking weather, so early spring suits me very well. Way easier to dress for cooler weather, not as easy for hot weather.
We are redoing part of the Francis again this spring starting in Astorga (with friends who will be on their first Camino walk) with our first day of walking March 29th. Long range forecast today for March 29th was for 19C with lows of 5C, so pretty much ideal.

A few posts back Maria Jo encouraged us not to over-plan our Camino. I can heartily endorse that. Prepare, yes. Get familiar with what's there, yes. But when the journey starts, enjoy the trip and adapt to the multitude of unexpected's and changes. (Of course, the 'journey' begins well before we set a foot next to a yellow arrow!).

This is something I learned from experience. I've been a section-hiker of the Appalachian Trial for ~15 years. In 2003 I came through Grayson Highlands in Carolina. A neat place, miniature pony population, nice terrain. I have no memory of being there. I went back through in 2015 in a better mindset -- less focused on just getting the miles done, took the blinders off. I still was hiking as many miles per day, same pace. But I was much more attuned to the experience. It was great to see the little horsies, how they grazed. It was hilarious the next morning when, due to heavy fog, I nearly walked into the butt of a humongous cow. Bessie just looked at the crazy human and went back to making patties for me to avoid stepping on/in. Gotta laugh!

I'm now 6-months out from my first Camino and yes, mea culpa, I'm into over-plan mode. Have stacks of material to read, three different trail guides (no, I won't take all three. Just one. Or maybe rely on the Wise Pilgrim app????? Food for another thread.). Nature of the beast is to know every moment of every day before I 'live' it, reserve each night's albergue now. What hogwash. I'll continue to read what the pros here have to say (my early Huzzah's to Dave Bugg, noted earlier in this thread), know that the community of Pilgrims will take care of me as I will for them. Thanks all!

Buen Camino indeed!

Really, you will be fine. Try to do some prep, get used to wearing your pack, but don’t stress it. First week will test your body, and then it is more a matter of being kind to your feet.
I'm pretty relaxed about it. I did a 25km walk on Friday to test all my gear and make sure I could go that distance, and it went pretty well -- though I was very stiff afterwards and not sure how I can do that 30 days straight! I guess I'll get used to it, and I assume walking the next day helps work out the stiffness of the previous day. I had a couple of blisters but I didn't notice them until the walk was done. I think one was because I was getting used to new orthotics. My feet didn't hurt at all, which was great.
I'm going to go at whatever pace I am capable of, not booking ahead and we'll see how far I get in 30 days. I'm not going to beat myself up to stay on some kind of schedule and I think it will all unfold as it shoud.

I'm pretty relaxed about it. I did a 25km walk on Friday to test all my gear and make sure I could go that distance, and it went pretty well -- though I was very stiff afterwards and not sure how I can do that 30 days straight! I guess I'll get used to it, and I assume walking the next day helps work out the stiffness of the previous day. I had a couple of blisters but I didn't notice them until the walk was done. I think one was because I was getting used to new orthotics. My feet didn't hurt at all, which was great.
I'm going to go at whatever pace I am capable of, not booking ahead and we'll see how far I get in 30 days. I'm not going to beat myself up to stay on some kind of schedule and I think it will all unfold as it shoud.
At 25 k a day, you will cover the distance! Remember, this is all you have to do, all day. I am a slowish walker at about a 4 k per hour pace. Starting at 7 or so in the am, with a coffee and lunch break, one arrives at 2 pm, generally. Get those feet into some sandals and rub some foot cream on. I had 23 lbs pack ( too much) and the feet always were hot and swollen at the end of each daily walk. I never felt pressure to cover more distance. Walking helped unfold my odyssey and every afternoon there were nice people to get to know.
Burn camino

bobtron,

Lat year I hit the Camino in SJPDP with two other people in late April and we were immediately confronted by a lack of beds in the Alburgues because of a National Spanish Holiday that spread itself over a 5-6 day period. Hundreds of locals used that vacation to walk portions of the Camino Frances at that time. The adjustment we had to make was to use our smart phones and reserve beds two days in advance and try to get to the reserved alburgue before 4 PM, because even then we lost a reservation by being "too late."

This year the Labour Day holiday is on Wednesday, May 1st, so plan accordingly,

Matthew Merten

bobtron,

Lat year I hit the Camino in SJPDP with two other people in late April and we were immediately confronted by a lack of beds in the Alburgues because of a National Spanish Holiday that spread itself over a 5-6 day period. Hundreds of locals used that vacation to walk portions of the Camino Frances at that time. The adjustment we had to make was to use our smart phones and reserve beds two days in advance and try to get to the reserved alburgue before 4 PM, because even then we lost a reservation by being "too late."

This year the Labour Day holiday is on Wednesday, May 1st, so plan accordingly,

Matthew Merten
Thank you for that information - greatly appreciated

You'll be fine! I had influenza once just before a serious mountain backpacking trip. I was going to call it off when my friend said, "You're sick anyway. Why be sick at home when you can be sick in the mountains?" Take it easy and I bet you'll recover faster in Spain than you would at home.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You'll be fine! I had influenza once just before a serious mountain backpacking trip. I was going to call it off when my friend said, "You're sick anyway. Why be sick at home when you can be sick in the mountains?" Take it easy and I bet you'll recover faster in Spain than you would at home.
Completely my attitude, Jillgat! Might as well hit the road and work it out. April is a really good time of year to go, excepting Easter week and any bank holidays. Fear not!

Thank you! In one week, I recovered quit a bit. From not working, and being out of breath and overtired after a walk to the supermarket (0.5km away from home) to working all day, walking to/from work (1.5km) and then in the evening walking 7km with 8kg pack. This is way better than expected!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back