• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

prebooking bus or train from santiago

Dawn of a new Day

ivar, i so appreciate you answering these questions. internet is limited on the via de la plata, so thank you for answering this. i need to return to madrid by oct.30. span air has a fare of 69euro. is it necessary to prebook the night bus or train for the 29th, santiago to madrid. thank you so much.
dawn
what are the chances of getting a seat if i show up the day before.
in tabara now, today was an awesome walk, thank you for the terrific weather.
dawn

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
is it necessary to prebook the night bus or train for the 29th, santiago to madrid.
Since the 29th is a Wednesday, I think you should be fine if you go up to the bus station the day before and getting your ticket. Sometimes they can get a bit full on Fridays/Sundays, but I don't think a Wednesday in October should be a problem.

If this is an ALSA bus you can also buy your ticket online, did you know that? The you are safe. http://www.alsa.es is the website, select English for an English version.

thank you for the terrific weather.
You are welcome. :)

Enjoy your walk!

Saludos,
Ivar

thank you ivar, for the information. it looks like i will arrive in santiago on the 29th so i have decided to spend another 20 Euro and booked a flight with spanair (a one hour flight) for the 30th
great news with ryan air starting up.

I have one more question please. i am planning my route and there seems to be different information. i would like to arrive in santiago for the 12 mass. i heard that there is an albergue 4km after puente ulla, making the walk 16km in the morning. otherwise the other albergue in in Banderia and Silleda??? Can you confirm for places to stay. in these places .
thank you
dawn

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have one more question please. i am planning my route and there seems to be different information. i would like to arrive in santiago for the 12 mass. i heard that there is an albergue 4km after puente ulla, making the walk 16km in the morning. otherwise the other albergue in in Banderia and Silleda??? Can you confirm for places to stay. in these places .
I am not sure what where this albergue might be. Anyone else know this?

Hi, Dawn,
I hope you are having a great walk on the vdlp.

I have found this information on the webpage of the Pili Pala press (they publish a guide to the vdlp):

In 2006, a new albergue opened at San Pedro de Villanova, some 4km after Puente Ulla. Includes air conditioning! Thanks to Ian for the information. Steve and Paul (July 2007) say that, "A very nice albergue with the key available from the woman in the house next door (on the Ponte Ulla side). Although you can bring food from Ponte Ulla, there is a decent restaurant about 1km downhill from the albergue, on the N525."
May 2008: a returning pilgrim reports that this albergue is in Vedra, 2.4km after Puente Ulla.

If I'm reading that right, it seems there are two albergues after Ponte Ulla, one at San Pedro de Villanova (4 km away), and one in Vedra, 2.4 km from Ponte Ulla.

Hope this helps, and maybe someone who has walked the Vdlp will have more information -- I'll make a new post to attract their attention. Laurie

First, Ivar thanks again for your help and knowledge.
i have arrived back to Canada and am getting settled.
I will post information on albergues etc.this week.(maybe photos if i figure it out)
It is an amazing route and i was never alone. At lubian there had been 1300 pilgrims as of Oct.15.
Laurie,
There is an amazing albergue, probably one of the best on route. it is 4km after puente ulla.
Its real name is Santiaguino, in the district of Vedra. so there is only one albergue. (it is 4.3km before Rubian. the albergue is high on a high so in no town, the restaurant is 1km down the way, closed on tuesday . (even when closed you can phone them and they will deliver)
the albergue has full cooking, pots and dishes, no fridge. So just as easy to bring food.
The next day is an easy 16km to the cathedral.
One of the best caminos i have experienced!
dawn

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back