• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Prebooking Portuguese Way for April

Mcosentino80

Time of past OR future Camino
Future - northern way and Portuguese way by bike
We are cycling the Central Portuguese Way in late April (after cycling from Bilbao to Santiago on the Northern Way). We are wondering if it should be necessary to prebook places to stay for April. As I look around at some of the places, many already show "only one bed left" and it makes me a little worried. Any info is helpful. Thank you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Is the “one bed left” on booking.com? Because that just means one bed of the few beds they reserved, but that the accommodation has in total. No one can tell for sure and this spring will be full-on camino time after Covid, so who knows. Beds for bikers are harder to find as some albergues won’t allow you in, so prebooking makes more sense than just for walkers.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yeah defo always a ploy and no surprise used booking .dot com a lot and others to instil the FOMO factor (fear of missing out) !
Most companies do it; pick any random date for a holiday on TUI anywhere months in advance and the only one room left is there!

I booked several places for the dates i wanted; which said only one room left!
So i took the last room cos i wanted to stay there of course and price was OK!

I booked several months ahead of departure!
Low and behold each time i went back on booking.com to see if cheaper places were now available in the area.
Each one i had booked in that area still had only one room available for my date;when i had taken the supposed last room months earlier!
Woody

Last edited:
That is a method that the room booking site likes to use to encourage you to use their services.
It is like tele vending Create a problem and offer the solution 🤭😊

depending how you bike I do not forsee any problems finding a place to sleep.
Only keep in mind the Semana Santa, the week before Eastern but the effect will be only at the coast in my humble opinion.
The Central route is not so touristical.

It is like tele vending Create a problem and offer the solution 🤭😊

depending how you bike I do not forsee any problems finding a place to sleep.
Only keep in mind the Semana Santa, the week before Eastern but the effect will be only at the coast in my humble opinion.
The Central route is not so touristical.
We are also biking the northern route of the Camino during the first few weeks of April... Maybe there? Or just for Easter weekend?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'll do it the old way. No prebooking.

Imagine that they did it on "the old days", aka only 30 years ago, not to mention in the middle-ages!
A lil' bit of adventure should be in every camino-experience ;)

We are also biking the northern route of the Camino during the first few weeks of April... Maybe there? Or just for Easter weekend?
The northern route is quite remote at times only places like Bilbao and San Sebastian can be an issue but further westward I do not think so

We’re walking the Coastal Route in mid-April and we did book our accommodations in advance. Because we had no difficulty booking rooms, either on Booking.com or by directly emailing the albergue/hostel, I’m not really sure if there will be a bed rush or not like on the CF. When we walked the Central Route a couple years ago, we had no difficulty finding rooms or beds particularly if we arrived early in the afternoon. But, that was also pre-Covid so as I’m not sure what to expect this time we booked accommodations.

I cycled the VDLP and thoroughly enjoyed that type of Camino as I’m sure you will. Hopefully, you’ll have the time not to speed through it. My mistake on riding the VDLP was that I rode three stages a day. From a riding perspective it was very doable but quite challenging due to the terrain. From a pilgrim’s perspective, covering nearly 50 miles a day blurred much of this journey as I was passing through Spain much too quickly to enjoy what the walking pilgrim experiences. So, although the CP is not a difficult bike trek, do smell the roses along The Way.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you can forget about booking.com or any of those internet sites. Call ahead or send emails and make reservations that way if you can. If I were you I would write a simple email request in English and copy and paste a Portuguese translation. You would also be surprised how many people in Portugal do speak English especially if you are staying in hotels.

If I were you I would write a simple email request in English and copy and paste a Portuguese translation. You would also be surprised how many people in Portugal do speak English especially if you are staying in hotels.
If they don't speak English themselves, they'll find a relative or neighbour or friend who does. They definitely want to keep their small businesses going! (And all the Portuguese children study English from middle-school on). So keep your request simple, and someone will answer.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back