• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Precise location before Burgos

MTtoCamino

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francis SJPdP to Finnestere April(2014)
Can someone give detailed location of where the trail splits before the airport entering into Burgos? So one can follow the river into the city rather than walking the concrete industrial way into the city.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The split is at Orbaneja-Riopico. After crossing the highway, the 'industrial camino' goes straight on through Villafria. For the alternative,
turn left straight after crossing the highway - there are signposts - in the direction of Castanares.

For a more detailed description, see:
http://tritetales.com/2014/10/31/camino-how-to-enter-burgos/

I tried to walk this twice and got a little lost both times. You have to pay attention in Castanares, and go straight ahead when reaching the main road (there are waymarkers). But, there are also waymarkers pointing to the right, buy you have to ignore these.

Good luck. Marc.

Last edited:
There is a thread that deals with this MT, I am using my phone right now but when I'm on the PC I'll look and post a link if its not posted by then. It has street view links to all the turn off's.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you both I was trying to get the info to a couple ladies both arriving in Burgose today, they ended up walking the industrial way, but hopefully someone will print it or use it in the near future.

I will agree that the turn-left sign posting is not overly clear. There is a police or military barracks on the left hand side of the road almost immediately after you cross the motorway. You should cross the road and walk around/behind the barracks. You will need to keep a close eye for the yellow arrows as I found out - I was about 1 km past (near the airport) when I realised my error. I am advised that the river walk is far more enjoyable than the long walk through the industrial zone.
Good luck

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Can someone give detailed location of where the trail splits before the airport entering into Burgos? So one can follow the river into the city rather than walking the concrete industrial way into the city.
I made the mistake of walking the "concrete industrial way". As you come out of the village of Orbaneja it becomes hilly and rocky for a bit. You will reach the Cruz de Matagrande or Punto de Vista which will give you the first beautiful sights of Burgos down below at a distance. About 1 km after that you will see the split in the trail. Take the trail to the left, which a local said was the original route. This will take you towards the river and into Burgos. Buen Camino

:)I don't mind the normal walk into Burgos.
It is not really an industrial route.
To me it is just another part of the experience. It passes by shops, restaurants, car dealers, etc. which all a part of everyday Spanish life and very interesting.
Unless you have walked the route before...it will all be new. Relax and enjoy it. :)

:)I don't mind the normal walk into Burgos.
It is not really an industrial route.
To me it is just another part of the experience. It passes by shops, restaurants, car dealers, etc. which all a part of everyday Spanish life and very interesting.
Unless you have walked the route before...it will all be new. Relax and enjoy it. :)
I did walk it, as you know, but since the Brierley Guide did not give good directions I thought those who liked a little more natural walk might appreciate better directions. If I had been walking with my brother a complete car nut yep that walk past the car dealers would have made him giddy with excitement.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 8.27.24 PM.png After crossing the bridge at Orbaneja-Riopico, take the first left on Via Minea and keep to the left walkway.

Last edited:
If you miss the original "correct" turn, it is always possible to find your way to the river later. It is on your left, so you will find it eventually!

If I recall correctly once you are down into the outskirts of Burgos (maybe it's a suburb?) The Camino comes to a very, very small plaza with a fountain for filling your water bottle. To call it a plaza might be a bit of an exaggeration it is a space between two buildings.
It is at that point that you can take the road or cross the street, and go through a neighborhood which leads you down into the park.

Perhaps there are more "official" ways to get there but that is how we stumbled onto the alternate route. The water fountain could be your signal that the path splits.We also asked a Spaniard and he pointed it out to us.

EDIT: After reading a little more closely it occurs to me that perhaps there are multiple ways to get to the more scenic path, as I walked all the way past the airport into Burgos. As someone else mentioned if you miss the early cut off, you can still find the nature trail and it will be towards the left. I say just have fun, and enjoy the journey either way!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.