• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Predator Alert

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2018
Spring 2023 Via de la Plata
On the Litoral, north of Labruge, watch for a man appearing to be a local or tourist walking the boardwalk. Slight build, 5'8, dark hair, grey jacket and pants. He walked past us, turned around then passed us and stopped to apparently take pictures. He ran up behind my daughter, grabbed her ass and ran away.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On the Litoral, north of Labruge, watch for a man appearing to be a local or tourist walking the boardwalk. Slight build, 5'8, dark hair, grey jacket and pants. He walked past us, turned around then passed us and stopped to apparently take pictures. He ran up behind my daughter, grabbed her ass and ran away.
Oh no! This must have been frightening. I hope your daughter is ok? What a horrible experience. As said before please report this.

When i walked through Portugal in 2016 I stayed at an Albergue and there was a local man hanging around. When i was showering that evening I turned round and he was staring through the window at me :( It was so horrible. I think its something he had been doing a while. There was no Albergue host and I ended up going to a local cafe for help as the man kept coming to the front of the albergue and looking in. I found someone who spoke a bit of english and through google translate managed to communicate what happened. Someone went and found the man and told him to leave. Another pilgrim arrived who could speak English and they wrote a note about what happened and left it for the host who wasnt going to be there till the next morning after we left. I was terrified all night the man would come back and barely slept.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh no! This must have been frightening. I hope your daughter is ok? What a horrible experience. As said before please report this.

When i walked through Portugal in 2016 I stayed at an Albergue and there was a local man hanging around. When i was showering that evening I turned round and he was staring through the window at me :( It was so horrible. I think its something he had been doing a while. There was no Albergue host and I ended up going to a local cafe for help as the man kept coming to the front of the albergue and looking in. I found someone who spoke a bit of english and through google translate managed to communicate what happened. Someone went and found the man and told him to leave. Another pilgrim arrived who could speak English and they wrote a note about what happened and left it for the host who wasnt going to be there till the next morning after we left. I was terrified all night the man would come back and barely slept.
That must have been horrible. This is my 4th Camino route, and the only time I have felt unsafe or had a bad thing happen.

€46,-
Please call 112, or the police (urban cities): +351 218 111 000.

"Rural police" (small cities): +351 213 217 000.

100%

A short stay in the local Policia's accommodation may persuade them to reflect on the harm they do. It is important to raise these issues with them so that others are not caught unawares.

I am so sorry to hear that. I do not know why especially because there are such wonderful and generous people in Portugal. But anecdotally it seems by what I read here on the forum there seems to be more of these horrible incidents on the Portugues than on any other route.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am so sorry to hear that. I do not know why especially because there are such wonderful and generous people in Portugal. But anecdotally it seems by what I read here on the forum there seems to be more of these horrible incidents on the Portugues than on any other route.
I think that’s an unfair conclusion.
I’ve just walked the Portuguese Coastal solo from Porto and I didn’t encounter a single transgression. The locals were so warm friendly and caring.
I’ve walked the Frances a number of times and I did have two occasions where I had a problem.
Unfortunately this does happen sometimes no matter where you go.

There's an app you can put on your phone. It's called Alertcops. That way you can let the police know in real time about what's happening.

Thanks to postings here and the Camino Portuguese Facebook groups, we were able to get to the right people to file a police report.
The officer is part of a squad that patrols the area and their awareness of this problem is now heightened.
I am glad you were able to connect with the police. How is your daughter doing?

€46,-
I think that’s an unfair conclusion.
I’ve just walked the Portuguese Coastal solo from Porto and I didn’t encounter a single transgression. The locals were so warm friendly and caring.
I’ve walked the Frances a number of times and I did have two occasions where I had a problem.
Unfortunately this does happen sometimes no matter where you go.
If you re-read my post I stated that I think the people of Portugal are wonderful. In fact I would say that they are the most generous, warm and caring people anywhere in the world that I have traveled. I also stated that my observation is based solely on what I have read here in this forum over many years. I did not say it was a fact or it was based on anything other then the number of times I have read about transgressions on the CP as opposed to any other camino. I have walked from Lisbon once and intend to walk the CP again, hopefully next time starting in Faro. I would never base what I have read on personal experience because personal experience is just what it says, personal and can not or should not be extrapolated to draw a definitive conclusion. Again all I said was this:
"But anecdotally it seems by what I read here on the forum there seems to be more of these horrible incidents on the Portugues than on any other route." nothing more or less with no conclusions drawn.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back