• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pregnant on the Camino?

Wanderlust23

Time of past OR future Camino
July-August "2015"
Good day pilgrims!
First, may I say it has been such a joy to read everyone's posts and responses. What a beautiful community!
I am wondering if there are any former pilgrims who walked the Camino while pregnant? Or perhaps knew someone who did? I know it mainly depends on body type and level of fitness, but I'm looking for those who have done it. :) Blessings on your day!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
No I haven't, but I have a 'medical background' so my general advice (absolutely refusing to take any medical and / or legal responsibility for it) would be:

During the second trimester (after 9th week of pregnancy and before 19th week of pregnancy would be safest) but DO SPEAK WITH YOUR DOC FIRST!

Buen Camino for you all, SY

Good day pilgrims!
First, may I say it has been such a joy to read everyone's posts and responses. What a beautiful community!
I am wondering if there are any former pilgrims who walked the Camino while pregnant? Or perhaps knew someone who did? I know it mainly depends on body type and level of fitness, but I'm looking for those who have done it. :) Blessings on your day!

Wanderlust,
Seems like SY is offering some advice worth following up?

I have never been pregnant;-), and never can be;-), however, and I say this in the knowledge I always look for the good in situations,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I simply cannot imagine a more wonderful love than that of a mother carrying an unborn child along a Camino.

I guess there may be some who may not agree with me but, to me, we can, should we desire to so, walk a Camino for ourselves, those past, those present and in hope for those who are our future.

As I type this I feel my throat tighten, tears swell in my eyes and a shiver run down my back because I believe I can feel the love an expectant mother may feel for that child yet to born as she walks her Camino, knowing that with God's grace, she and that child may be able to talk about their journey together one day.

I have just read my post before posting it. I am truly surprised by the words and emotion I have put into this but will still post because I believe I am being led by the spirit of our Camino.

:)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And also consider that women throughout the ages, have carried unborn children in pilgrimage to sacred sites simply because they didn't know they were pregnant when setting out and had to walk/ride/take the boat/carriage back to their place of origin no matter what.

Granted, not all of that medieval pilgrimages ended well and there is no reason to assume that any of our modern pilgrimages ends well, but still, I dare to add: Pregnancy is NOT an illness or disease nor a handicap! Again, ask your doc, be considered to your body and unborn child, tread lightly on mother earth so that she carries you and Buen Camino! SY

And also consider that women throughout the ages, have carried unborn children in pilgrimage to sacred sites simply because they didn't know they were pregnant when setting out and had to walk/ride/take the boat/carriage back to their place of origin no matter what.

Granted, not all of that medieval pilgrimages ended well and there is no reason to assume that any of our modern pilgrimages ends well, but still, I dare to add: Pregnancy is NOT an illness or disease nor a handicap! Again, ask your doc, be considered to your body and unborn child, tread lightly on mother earth so that she carries you and Buen Camino! SY

These were the words that I came to post too, "Pregnancy is NOT an illness", I say this ALL the time!
I say go for it for any woman who entertain it.
Been pregnant multiple times and can't say it has ever stopped me from anything.

Cannot really say that I have been pregnant while walking (would be a modern miracle, had I been!).

But during both my pregnancies, I have travelled extensively - even into my seventh months (kind of had to for work reasons). Never felt it to be a problem - except for feeling somewhat heavy ...

It even carried some unexpected benefits - like when being on the 5th floor of a small Paris hotel (no lift/elevator) where the personnel - unasked - carried a breakfast tray all the way up to save me the trouble of coming down! - And on another occasion, when at a very formal dinner with lots of boring speeches, I excused myself for leaving (later heard: much to the envy of many others, ha!).

I think you should walk (taking the above advice from SYates). It will be so much more difficult to walk once your baby is small (even though some persons have done so).

Annelise

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Being pregnant is a beautiful thing! We have four kids, and each pregnancy was a special season (even through all the puking). Congratulations!

I also haven't walked the Camino while pregnant, but having my last pregnancy relatively fresh in mind, I'd also recommend you talk to your doctor. The walk can be very strenuous at times, and exhaustion and dehydration (which could lead to early contractions/ premature labor) would be two of your main concerns. Depending on what time of year you walk, it can also get quite hot during the day, which - for a pregnant woman who already has elevated temperatures and perhaps natural swelling - could lead to more swelling and blisters, overheating, etc. As long as you were prepared for these realities, you'd probably do OK.

So being now a bit more familiar with the Camino *and* with pregnancy, I'd recommend that you have a ton of snacks and water to get you through the hours there aren't cafes and bars nearby, perhaps be prepared to choose private rooms over albergues for consistent good rest at night, consider walking shorter days so you don't get too exhausted, and have a phone available in case you need to call for a taxi or medical help if you start feeling woozy or faint (which could be signs of dehydration).

You could also consider sending ahead your pack every day, too - that would help you stay cooler and reduce the strain on your body. Will you be walking the Camino Frances?

To share personally - with our first pregnancy I got severely dehydrated at 20 weeks (again, not on the Camino - we were moving from one house to another and I simply didn't drink enough water over the course of a few days) and went into early labor, with horrible back pain, contractions, and vomiting. We went to the hospital and they gave me IV meds that stopped the contractions. The doctor told me that if labor hadn't stopped I would've given birth. It was a bad night with a good outcome, as the baby was born 20 weeks later and he was fine. I don't tell you this to scare or discourage you - but just to tell you to for sure take extra care of yourself if you do walk while pregnant, and be aware of the signs that something is wrong. The more prepared you are, the better you'll be able to avoid *my* worst-case scenario! (I'm kind of an activist now against gestational dehydration!!)

Take care, and congrats again! May you have wisdom and peace in the days and months ahead.
Faith

Walking the Ingles 2 years ago, I met a German woman at Neda Albergue.
She was 4 months pregnant, at the age of 45, primigravidae. We walked together until Bruma, where she diverted to go to A Coruna. Apart from falling into bed as soon as we finished the day's walking, she was fine, and delivered a beautiful daughter 5 months later. Mind you, she was an experienced marathon runner, so probably fitter than most......:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wow! Thank you for all the advice and kind comments, everyone. I should probably have mentioned in my first post that I am not pregnant but was curious. In case I became pregnant before my Camino trip (as my husband and I have been trying to have a child) I didn't want to put my pilgrimage on hold. I am a certified birth doula and know a lot about the precautions that would need to be taken, but I still wanted to hear from those who had done it before me. :) Thanks again everyone!

Wow! Thank you for all the advice and kind comments, everyone. I should probably have mentioned in my first post that I am not pregnant but was curious. In case I became pregnant before my Camino trip (as my husband and I have been trying to have a child) I didn't want to put my pilgrimage on hold. I am a certified birth doula and know a lot about the precautions that would need to be taken, but I still wanted to hear from those who had done it before me. :) Thanks again everyone!

Glad to know you're already a doula - you're at an advantage if you get pregnant because at least you'll know what to watch for. I was clueless my first pregnancy! Take care and hope you and your hubby have fun trying ;)

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.