• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Prep year planning group

BonitaHolland

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting 3rd Sep 2016
I’m facilitating a prep year planning group that meets monthly for a small group of u3a members who want to do the Camino one day possibly Sep/Oct 2022. We meet monthly and have had two meetings to date. Each month we tackle a different topic so far we’ve looked at
1. Footwear and rucksacks and poles
2. Different Camino routes

Our next meeting in November will be about the different types of accommodation.

We also plan to talk about other subjects like:
Food and water in Dec
Medical and bugs and safety in Jan
Walking in the dark/bad weather/heat in Feb
Books maps phones internet and websites in April

Any other themes you think would be good?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Blisters, footwear, and foot care
Physical preparation and training hikes (I would suggest doing this one early on, as people may need months to follow through)
Rain gear, how to keep yourself and your pack dry

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’m facilitating a prep year planning group that meets monthly for a small group of u3a members who want to do the Camino one day possibly Sep/Oct 2022. We meet monthly and have had two meetings to date. Each month we tackle a different topic so far we’ve looked at

Our next meeting in November will be about the different types of accommodation.

Food and water in Dec

Communicating with Spanish people they'll meet along the way - a knowledge of basic (Camino related) Spanish would be helpful to them.

The "Englishman Abroad" method of speaking loudly and slowly won't get them very far in a small rural Spanish town!

(from a U3A Canterbury branch member)

Communicating with Spanish people they'll meet along the way - a knowledge of basic (Camino related) Spanish would be helpful to them.

The "Englishman Abroad" method of speaking loudly and slowly won't get them very far in a small rural Spanish town!

Absolutely! Basic travelers’ Spanish is so important. (I can’t believe I forgot this in my suggestions!)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In my local camino group we mix the practical topics with a talk from someone who has done the camino recently about their experience. I find it inspirational to listen to these, and realise that ordinary people can do quite extra-ordinary things, and what a special community one enters when one is a pilgrim.

You could also include:

- accommodation options
- albergue etiquette
- a typical day on the camino
- finances (cost, ATM availability, cash vs. credit cards)
- cultural background info
- religious/spiritual aspects, if so inclined
- credencial, stamps, compostela, distance certificate

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Food and water in Dec

I would love to Zoom into this planning group. My friend and I will be walking the Camino in May 2022. Please let me know if this is possible. Thanks.
Lisa Farwell

Food and water in Dec

In which country do you live please? I may be interested depending g on time zones

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I’ve now arranged for the Beginners Spanish u3a group leader to give our group a talk on basic Camino related Spanish phrases. So a great idea thanks!

- managing expectations
- group dynamics
- basic first aid
- making alternative plans in case of injury, weather or other circumstances

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree, each culture does. My point is common courtesy to all inside a commonplace hostel or albergue such as; not making lot's of noisy early in the morning, turning lights on in common areas while others are trying to sleep, drunkenly stumbling in late at night waking others who have abidded by house rules etc...

I agree, each culture does. My point is common courtesy to all inside a commonplace hostel or albergue such as; not making lot's of noisy early in the morning, turning lights on in common areas while others are trying to sleep, drunkenly stumbling in late at night waking others who have abidded by house rules etc...
I’ve often thought about this issue as each individual has their own unique needs and so we all need to look at how our individual needs impact on others including the need to go to bed early/late or get up early/late.

It’s now time fir our monthly meeting again and we’re about to meet for our December theme of Food avd Drink. I’ve arranged a Spanish teacher to do a session on useful phrases and vocabulary.
Any particular topics you think I should introduce please for our discussion?

Aside from vocabulary, a couple of useful topics, just based on past threads —

What about tipping?

Difference between menú del día and menú del peregrino.

Spanish eating hours.

Differences in coffee drinks, con leche, cortado, solo, etc.

Difference between “bar” in Spain and “bar” in many English-speaking countries.

For beer drinkers, difference between caña, botella, jarra, clara and other words I don’t know because I don’t drink beer.

I’m sure there are many more, but this is a start! Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Food avd Drink
I downloaded “Buen Provecho: Spanish to English Dictionary of Gastronomic Terms” onto my cellphone’s Kindle app, and it hasn’t let me down once. It is a brilliant resource for when you are in a restaurant in Spain and confronted with a menu of dishes that are totally meaningless. It seems to include a lot of regional variations. Highly recommend.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back