• We are struggeling with some issues with images and attachments not loading on the forum. This is some left-over problems from the other day. We have back-ups of everything, so nothing is lost, we just need to link things up again so that it works. In short, we are working on it. Sorry! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Preparation and continuing to walk everywhere afterwards!

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
Before I went on my first pilgrimage I walked quite a bit. Whilst it wasn't the same as walking every single day for 7 - 8 hours with a pack it was enjoyable. Post first pilgrimage I not only wanted to walk more pilgrimage routes I also wanted to walk more at home.

For those in the UK these resources might be helpful. I am sure others will add to them hopefully from other countries too.

http://www.walkit.com

This site developed by a social entrepreneur now covers many cities in the UK and is constantly expanding. Simply type in where you are leaving from, where you want to get to and it will give you the best walking route - and tell you how long it will take and calories you will burn.

http://www.ramblers.org.uk/

With lots of information, membership etc.

http://www.ldwa.org.uk/

Long distance walkers association - I found them very helpful.

http://www.johnmerrillwalkguides.com/home.html

and John Merrils's site for lots of walks you may not even have heard of

Maybe we need to start a support group for the addicted?

"Hello my name's Johnnie and I'm a Walker!"

or maybe the forum is it!

Hasta pronto

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Interesting. As you said there is an addiction forming - a healthy addiction and I am on the internet researching walking in Britain as I am tentaively planning a walking holiday in Britain this Fall.

Thanks for the sites. Another one which has useful information is http://www.walkingbritain.co.uk/

And, as my budget is limited, I am happy to find out that Britain has a wealth of hostels for inexpensive lodging.

Regards,

john

I know the feeling. I recently attended a conference out of town. I couldn't stay at the selected hotel (too expensive), so I found another one a little over a mile away. Walked there every day to & from, found interesting little restaurants to eat at & such. When people would ask where I was staying, I'd tell them & when they'd tut-tut about the parking, I'd say I walked. You should have seen the looks on their faces. "YOU WALKED ONE MILE???!!!????" :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:roll: And then I drop the other shoe & tell them about my vacation plans. lol

When I finally get my compostela, I'd like to do some walking in Britain, maybe to Canterbury. :)

Kelly

A selection of Camino Jewellery
John,

thanks for this thread. I've found that preparing for the Camino has properly got me back into walking.

Kelly - walking the Pilgrim's Way to Canterbury is good, but I really love Walsingham (and just as the stars point to Santiago, pre-Reformation English called the Milky Way 'Walsingham Way'.

Andy

When I walked the Wainwright's Coast to Coast in 2001 I prepared a 'credencial' for each one in our group and had it stamped at the overnight stops. It is a happy reminder of the places we stayed and the people we met. The B&B owner in Gr Broughton wrote, "What a Jolly Party" after we spent an afternoon in hysterics in her upstair rooms.
You could do this on any long walk.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 441

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back