• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Preparations for CF, April 2018

Time of past OR future Camino
2018 CF Spring
How/what are your Mar-Apr-May 2018 Camino preparations to-date?

Planning my first Camino. My preparations to date:
- Family, work, business, etc - discussed & OK (I hope)
- Dates, route, concept - CF; end of March till start of May; do it in a simple, basic and openminded way
- Started to build-up my walking/hiking fitness; frequent and long mountain and city walks (longest to date: 8,5h)
- Flight ticket purchased (non refundable)
- Purchased new hiking shoes, two days ago, chose a local outdoor company that manufactures good quality products (from outdoor fun to Antarctica expeditions) https://www.capeunionmart.co.za/k-way-canyon-shoe-mens
- Started to wear-in my new hiking shoes, got +-4 months to do it.
- ordered a few Camino books and dvd
- new backpack, maybe at a post-Christmas sale
- feeling excited with a hint of nervousness and a dash of apprehensiveness

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The is an app you can get for your smartphone called Duolingo and it is great for learning basic Spanish, and you have a few months to practice.
April/May is a great time to go IMO, it can be cold and wet at times but the route should be less crowded and easier to get accommodation and you will see all the Spring colours and the emerging flowers and crops along the way.
Happy planning and Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Not sure abt health coverage abroad from your location to Spain, but consider insurance to cover injury, sickness and early return should it be necessary.
Yes it is important to have good medical cover and a plan B; have reasonable medical insurance plus travel medical insurance plus a EU passport. Hopefully never the need to use any of it. Up to a certain level (and up to a fault...) I normally try to fix myself.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Peter, we are a family of 4 starting out around the 19th March - look out for us!!!

I will be purchasing most of our clothes/shoes/backpacks etc in the post Christmas sales too.

So far I have our poles, merino socks and headlamps bought yesterday! Have been thinking about whether or not to get the headlamps because day light saving kicks in and I think sunrise is around 8am. Jetlag from Australia will see us waking very early so we might want to get started say around 7am.. In the end the kids discovered them at the store the other day when we were trying on backpacks and pleaded for them as only children can do!

We are self employed so no problems there. Purchased tickets and good travel insurance a couple of months ago.

Have been learning Spanish on and off for a few months, my oldest takes his Spanish dictionary everywhere he goes! We are just about to start our 5 week summer holiday so will be learning Spanish in earnest. We are using Duolingo. I saw a copy of 'Spanish for Dummies' with a DVD not sure what it will be like however, we are going on a 16 hour (return) drive early in the new year and figured it might be fun to play in the car - captive audience and all!

Have started some training but really need to pick up the pace on that front (pardon the pun!)

I am planning on putting together a first aid kit soon.

I will be following for ideas.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

- Dates, route, concept - CF; end of March till start of May; do it in a simple, basic and openminded way
- Started to build-up my walking/hiking fitness; frequent and long mountain and city walks (longest to date: 8,5h)
- Purchased new hiking shoes, two days ago, chose a local outdoor company that manufactures good quality products (from outdoor fun to Antarctica expeditions) https://www.capeunionmart.co.za/k-way-canyon-shoe-mens

Hi Peter,
I’m planning roughly the same timescale, booked flights for 28th March and hoping to complete around beginning of May. Might see you on our travels. My first Camino as well, really looking forward to it but as you say a little nervous as well, it’s good to get out of your comfort zone now and again, Good Luck for your Camino.
Garry

Last edited:

Fantastic, we are doing our first Camino this March to April so far we have:

-Purchased flights to Biarritz
-Researched Travel Insurance, will buy shortly before departure
-Working on combination walking/stretching program
-Bought and testing all gear needed
- Including backpack total weight is at 8lbs but trying to cut it down
-Watching YouTube like crazy with preference given to tips and day by day walks for the plus 50 age group
-Spanish Language CD in my car
-Belong to a number of Facebook Groups focusing on Planning and Slow Camino ones
-Participating in forums
-writing notes (that I won't bring with me) but this helps me remember
- Fulfilling a dream I have had since I was 17

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Don’t wear those shoes out! I found some waterproof Merrells that I liked and ordered a second pair that I broke in for a couple of weeks , before leaving. 500 miles is when they start losing support etc ... also Duolingo is helpful and something you can practice in a few minutes everyday.
You are in for a great experience!
Buen Camino

Hi Peter
I’m also from Cape Town and will start my first Camino 1 April 2018...good luck with preparations and buen camino!

Hi Peter, we are a family of 4 starting out around the 19th March - look out for us!!!

I will be purchasing most of our clothes/shoes/backpacks etc in the post Christmas sales too.

So far I have our poles, merino socks and headlamps bought yesterday! Have been thinking about whether or not to get the headlamps because day light saving kicks in and I think sunrise is around 8am. Jetlag from Australia will see us waking very early so we might want to get started say around 7am.. In the end the kids discovered them at the store the other day when we were trying on backpacks and pleaded for them as only children can do!

We are self employed so no problems there. Purchased tickets and good travel insurance a couple of months ago.

Have been learning Spanish on and off for a few months, my oldest takes his Spanish dictionary everywhere he goes! We are just about to start our 5 week summer holiday so will be learning Spanish in earnest. We are using Duolingo. I saw a copy of 'Spanish for Dummies' with a DVD not sure what it will be like however, we are going on a 16 hour (return) drive early in the new year and figured it might be fun to play in the car - captive audience and all!

Have started some training but really need to pick up the pace on that front (pardon the pun!)

I am planning on putting together a first aid kit soon.

I will be following for ideas.
Great! Will look out for you guys. Sorry for the late reply; have been very busy workwise and with only a few days left before we go on our family summer vacation.
Headlamps - not bringing any; but will bring one of those small frog cycling lamps (white light) to help me look around without waking anyone plus NB: they can clip onto the backpack when i have to walk in the fog, on the road, and need to be seen (pulsating light option, waterproof, practical, lasts +-40h). If i need a headlamp i will get a local one.
Spanish - will start next year . . . in earnest.
Training - very much so. Also testing clothing, eating, drinking, technic, etc while training. My experience is that for endurance training/preparation, the training should peak 2-3 month before the event so that the body can adjust, buildup and make a full recovery. My simplistic aim is to start the camino over-recovered and not over-trained.
Also playing around with my first-aid options.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Peter,
I’m planning roughly the same timescale, booked flights for 28th March and hoping to complete around beginning of May. Might see you on our travels. My first Camino as well, really looking forward to it but as you say a little nervous as well, it’s good to get out of your comfort zone now and again, Good Luck for your Camino.
Garry
Agree Garry, I also have a need or want to get out of my comfort zone and to think about a lot of things and to embrace this experience. And to make my body, mind and soul sweat a bit.
I will arrive on the 28th on the morning flight from Madrid.

Hi Peter
I’m also from Cape Town and will start my first Camino 1 April 2018...good luck with preparations and buen camino!
Similar dates. Hope your preparations are going well. I am sure you are spending lots of "quality time" at Cape Union Mart and Outdoor Warehouse.
Which airline option did you choose? I am going with Iberia.
Doing most of my walking training along the east side of Table Mountain National Park (my long route: Rhodes Memorial to Contour path to Constantia Nek and back)

Hi Peter, I have not booked my flight yet but I will most likely fly with Iberia to Madrid arriving the 30th.
Training is still very slow, have not done much long walks yet. I only really decided to do the camino a few weeks ago so I’m starting with training and preparation. At the moment I’m only doing about 25km -30km per week in total and I have only bought salomon trail shoes and Osprey backpack for now. the rest i will get next year!
All the best!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Summer in Cape Town, what a perfect environment to be training for a spring Camino, love walking up through Constantia Nek. Pity me training in the UK winter for Cape Cycle Tour in March :(

You're going to have the time of your life. Enjoy it all.

Summer in Cape Town, what a perfect environment to be training for a spring Camino, love walking up through Constantia Nek. Pity me training in the UK winter for Cape Cycle Tour in March :(

You're going to have the time of your life. Enjoy it all.
We are privileged with our southern hemisphere summer and Cape nature. I am very conscious of that. Lucky timing re the Camino preparations.
Also doing the Cape Cycle Tour - a bit slower & more social this time round. Hope it will not be cancelled like last year (cancelling it might have opened a Pandora's box ...)
When you come to CT bring some water - we are having a 1:100 year drought! Severe water restrictions apply. We are told to only shower every 2nd or 3rd day; each shower - 2min max; to take a bath is a big No No; a dirty/unwashed car is now a social-conscious status symbol; flushing of toilets only with used shower water or harvested rainwater; being slightly smelly and wearing unwashed clothing has become okay; - i am optimistic and see it as Life-at-the-Albergues training. ;-)

Last edited:
We are privileged with our southern hemisphere summer and Cape nature. I am very conscious of that. Lucky timing re the Camino preparations.
Also doing the Cape Cycle Tour - a bit slower & more social this time round. Hope it will not be cancelled like last year (cancelling it might have opened a Pandora's box ...)
When you come to CT bring some water - we are having a 1:100 year drought! Severe water restrictions apply. We are told to only shower every 2nd or 3rd day; each shower - 2min max; to take a bath is a big No No; a dirty/unwashed car is now a social-conscious status symbol; flushing of toilets only with used shower water or harvested rainwater; being slightly smelly and wearing unwashed clothing has become okay; - i am optimistic and see it as Life-at-the-Albergues training. ;-)

Sounds a lot like my bathing routine when I lived in Obs many moons ago ;)

But yes, the water situation over there is pretty scary. My aunt and uncle live out in Villiersdorp near one of the big dams and it's basically empty.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
QUOTE="suzanne van zyl, post: 571689, member: 75341"]Hi Peter
I’m also from Cape Town and will start my first Camino 1 April 2018...good luck with preparations and buen camino![/QUOTE]

Hi Peter ans Suzanne,I am from Potchefstroom and has done the section Sarria to Santiago last April..alone,and overseas for the first time ever..it was an amazing,wonderful experience! Will be walking,God willing,from Pamplona this April. Very excited! My advice: pack light,learn basic Spanish phrases,walk in your shoes with rucksack before you travel,and enjoy every moment..it will be the most significant experience of your life! Buen Camino!

[/QUOTE] Hi Peter ans Suzanne,I am from Potchefstroom and has done the section Sarria to Santiago last April..alone,and overseas for the first time ever..it was an amazing,wonderful experience! Will be walking,God willing,from Pamplona this April. Very excited! My advice: pack light,learn basic Spanish phrases,walk in your shoes with rucksack before you travel,and enjoy every moment..it will be the most significant experience of your life! Buen Camino![/QUOTE]

Hi Sonja from Potch! Will do - planning to pack lightly and walking nearly daily in my new hiking shoes. Got an Espanol language DVD and enquired about classes too. But i will be going with very few expectations - just want to walk, experience it, and open myself to this experience.
I will be in Pamplona end of March/early April.

Last edited:
Hi Peter. I have walked from SJdPdP to Burgos last year and intend doing all of the Camino Frances this April/ May.
My only comment to you would be to not wear out those walking shoes too much before you go. Certainly have them well broken in but they should retain some stiffness in the sole to guard against the larger stones and rough ground. I wonder what others think about this?
Paul

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Peter. I have walked from SJdPdP to Burgos last year and intend doing all of the Camino Frances this April/ May.
My only comment to you would be to not wear out those walking shoes too much before you go. Certainly have them well broken in but they should retain some stiffness in the sole to guard against the larger stones and rough ground. I wonder what others think about this?
Paul

I totally agree Paul. I over broke in my boots on my first Camino and the result was that they were falling apart by week three. I'd say 100kms was more than enough breaking in.

Hi to all my fellow South Africans!

I did my first Camino during April last year from SJPdP to Finisterre and am happy to answer any questions.

Buen Camino!

I totally agree Paul. I over broke in my boots on my first Camino and the result was that they were falling apart by week three. I'd say 100kms was more than enough breaking in.
Okay, didn't know that but you guys are the 4th person who warned me about it. Especially regarding ultra long distance walking and hiking. At the moment, I am walking nearly every day 1 - 3h. Maybe i should consider my shoes as broken-in and put them aside. Thanks Dorpie & Paul

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi to all my fellow South Africans!

I did my first Camino during April last year from SJPdP to Finisterre and am happy to answer any questions.

Buen Camino!
Thanks HieLienie from Stellies.
How many days did you walk?
What did you (and other South Africans), as a South African, find the most difficult / challenging on the El Camino?
What local-knowledge did you lack?
How did you handle/manage the "Home Front" while away on the Camino? i.e. how did your family, friends, work, business, etc. do while you were away?
What medical insurance did you choose?
I will not not ask what the weather will be like; figured it out - "There shall be Weather"
Thanks

I will not not ask what the weather will be like; figured it out - "There shall be Weather"

Hi Peter, check your medical aid as it may already cover you.
I’m on Discovery’s Classic Comprehensive, and it covers me for medical emergencies for 3 months while overseas.
So glad you’ve figured out what the weather will be like :p.
Jill

Hi Peter, check your medical aid as it may already cover you.
I’m on Discovery’s Classic Comprehensive, and it covers me for medical emergencies for 3 months while overseas.
So glad you’ve figured out what the weather will be like :p.
Jill
Am on the same medical aid.
Two years ago while in France doing the 2015 PBP, I landed up with medical problems and was pulled off the event (twice) just before the finish by the medics. The event people provided medical help. I did not make use of the Discovery cover. But while recovering in Paris i studied the Discovery cover - it was not a great or practical medical cover in case i needed it. Just wondering what other/additional options are out there.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks HieLienie from Stellies.
How many days did you walk?
What did you (and other South Africans), as a South African, find the most difficult / challenging on the El Camino?
What local-knowledge did you lack?
How did you handle/manage the "Home Front" while away on the Camino? i.e. how did your family, friends, work, business, etc. do while you were away?
Thanks

Hi Peter - sorry - for some reason I missed your comment.

I walked for 27 days from SJPP to Santiago. It meant long days and some injuries but had limited time so it worked for me
I think I would have had issues with the language but luckily made friends with a Spanish speaking Irish man within 2 days and that helped a lot. Otherwise - us Saffas are easy going and adaptable. And that's exactly what you need.
As far as the home front is concerned - I am a programmer and didn't need to check in at all during my leave. My co-workers handled it all.
I left my own SIM card at home and bought a Spanish SIM for my phone. Only my family and a few close friends had my new number so no-one could contact me with normal day to day issues. I also wrote a daily blog that I only shared with my family so that they could know where I am and how it's going. That meant they very rarely contacted me with questions etc. So I could get away from almost everything and everyone while on the Camino.
Medical insurance - Discovery & ABSA
Weather - Only rain on my very last day! I was so blessed in that regard

Hi Peter The best price for travel insurance is Hollard Travel insurance. They fully comply with the visa requirements. We paid R 1000.00 last year for two people on the Camino for 5 weeks. That's not bad in comparison with the AA and other well know insurance companies. Please see: https://www.hollardti.com/.
Peter and Suzanne please make sure you comply with all the visa requirements and don't leave it for the last minute. Join the Confraternity St James of South Africa (CSJofSA) on http://www.csjofsa.za.org/. Your visa application will be much easier with their letter to the Spanish Consulate. The letter eliminate the need to have all your accommodation pre booked.

Hi Peter The best price for travel insurance is Hollard Travel insurance. They fully comply with the visa requirements. We paid R 1000.00 last year for two people on the Camino for 5 weeks. That's not bad in comparison with the AA and other well know insurance companies. Please see: https://www.hollardti.com/.
Peter and Suzanne please make sure you comply with all the visa requirements and don't leave it for the last minute. Join the Confraternity St James of South Africa (CSJofSA) on http://www.csjofsa.za.org/. Your visa application will be much easier with their letter to the Spanish Consulate. The letter eliminate the need to have all your accommodation pre booked.
Thanks! Will check that insurance option, over and above our Discovery one. Have joint csj of sa. Have dual citizenship which makes EU travels easier. But will still take the CSJ letter along in case i need it.
How was your March CF Camino? How cold 'n wet did it get?

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Peter - sorry - for some reason I missed your comment.

I walked for 27 days from SJPP to Santiago. It meant long days and some injuries but had limited time so it worked for me
I think I would have had issues with the language but luckily made friends with a Spanish speaking Irish man within 2 days and that helped a lot. Otherwise - us Saffas are easy going and adaptable. And that's exactly what you need.
As far as the home front is concerned - I am a programmer and didn't need to check in at all during my leave. My co-workers handled it all.
I left my own SIM card at home and bought a Spanish SIM for my phone. Only my family and a few close friends had my new number so no-one could contact me with normal day to day issues. I also wrote a daily blog that I only shared with my family so that they could know where I am and how it's going. That meant they very rarely contacted me with questions etc. So I could get away from almost everything and everyone while on the Camino.
Medical insurance - Discovery & ABSA
Weather - Only rain on my very last day! I was so blessed in that regard
Thanks! Great useful information! Planning to keep it simple and well thought out. Did you feel that the Camino was good for your soul 'n mind?

Thanks! Great useful information! Planning to keep it simple and well thought out. Did you feel that the Camino was good for your soul 'n mind?

Definitely!
The best description I've heard is that you get to think about something until you've finished thinking about it. I miss that so much.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks! Will check that insurance option, over and above our Discovery one. Have joint csj of sa. Have dual citizenship which makes EU travels easier. But will still take the CSJ letter along in case i need it.
How was your March CF Camino? How cold 'n wet did it get?
Hi Peter The weather in March / April was very pleasant and not to warm and we were lucky with the rain. The evenings were cool but sometimes it was to hot in the albergues with the central heating on. We had frost a couple of times early in the morning but not to bad.
In my opinion it is very good time to do the Camino. It is not to warm or to cold, Spain is green in spring time and it is not crowded.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Peter The weather in March / April was very pleasant and not to warm and we were lucky with the rain. The evenings were cool but sometimes it was to hot in the albergues with the central heating on. We had frost a couple of times early in the morning but not to bad.
In my opinion it is very good time to do the Camino. It is not to warm or to cold, Spain is green in spring time and it is not crowded.

Hi Peter
I agree with Givesome. Weather ranged from VERY hot ( high 30s) to very cold during April last year. Many mornings I've started walking with gloves & a beanie. My hands would have been very painful without them. We also had some snow late in the route. I was also very grateful that I took my down sleeping bag.

But we also had very hot days. Often the Europeans would insist on closing all of the windows at night and since I only had my down sleeping bag and didn't want to sleep outside of it on account of bed bugs, I struggled sleeping because of the heat.

In Spring you need to prepare for both heat and cold ;)

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back