• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Preparing Chestnuts

lindam

Time of past OR future Camino
Fr, VDLP, Invierno, Port, Madrid, Ingles, Aragones
My husband and I were out collecting chestnuts from a local tree today and have made quite a large score. Of course, while doing so, it brought back many memories of walking in Galicia's magnificent chestnut forests. We want to be able to cook them, remove the shells and possibly freeze them. In the past we have roasted small quantities of them in the oven or on the cook top in a skillet. It is then always a struggle to remove the shells. I am wondering if anyone might have any hacks they can share to make this process easier?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Boil them in plain water. The skin will be soft and pliable when still warm and the inner will be a little plastic and quite robust. With the aid of a small sharp knife they’re easily prepared.

They are edible chestnuts (castanea savita) and not horse chestnuts?

Boil them in plain water. The skin will be soft and pliable when still warm and the inner will be a little plastic and quite robust. With the aid of a small sharp knife they’re easily prepared.

They are edible chestnuts (castanea savita) and not horse chestnuts?
Thanks for your reply. Yes, of course, they are the edible variety. For how long should they be boiled?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I remember sitting in a smoke filled hut while the chestnuts were spread on a metal mesh “ceiling” well above the fire. The nut warms slowly, gently over hours. As it’s juices slowly turn to steam the shell and the inner membrane are stretched away from the inner kernel. This is cocina povera and a way to pass a warm night or two as the nights lengthen. A guardian is essential. One spark, one glowing ember might destroy crop, thatch, hope.

Modern books suggest blanching and plunging into iced water. Modern industry uses pressurized steam; a blast freezer and a tumbler mill.

The old way requires thumb-nails like horn or a grandma that remembers the old ways. More modern methods just require the machinery

Have you considered marrons glaces?

This from a French neighbour's recipe book:

Blanch 500g fresh chestnuts in boiling water for 5 minutes, drain, then peel while still warm.

Add 300g caster sugar to 300ml water and bring to the boil in a heavy-based pan. Simmer for 10 minutes, then add the chestnuts and simmer for 7-8 minutes.

Remove from heat, cover and leave to stand overnight in the syrup.

The next day, reheat the chestnuts/syrup back to the boil, cook for 1 minute, then remove from the heat and cool again.

Repeat this daily for 2 or 3 days until all the syrup is absorbed.

Preheat the oven to around 70°C, spread the candied chestnuts on a tray covered with baking paper, then pop into the oven.

Leave the door wide open and wait until they are firm - 2 hours or so should do it.

Store in an air tight jar in the refrigerator.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Here is another one of the excellent short documentaries by Eugenio Monesma. This is an opportunity to practice your Spanish comprehension skills, but there are also subtitles in English.

A charming look at traditional ways of capturing the chestnut harvest. However, without the special tools and equipment, I am unable to replicate their time-tested methods. I loved the look of some of those chestnut treats at the end of the video! Thanks for sharing.

We found ourselves walking on the Norte last year alongside a kindly old man who found great joy in knocking them from a tree, peeling, and handling them to us to eat raw. I can’t think of a better way to have them. 🥰

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A charming look at traditional ways of capturing the chestnut harvest. However, without the special tools and equipment, I am unable to replicate their time-tested methods. I loved the look of some of those chestnut treats at the end of the video! Thanks for sharing.
Ah come on - build a two story drystone barn with a loose thatched roof. Cut enough chestnut beams and pales to make a grid floor and cover that with a layer of un-husked chestnuts. Get a fire going, but keep it low. Surprisingly chestnut coppice and leaf is really good for this. Keep going all winter…

Though boil and peel while still warm works well enough it’s nowhere near as much fun 😉

The smell of chestnuts being cooked on a hot tin plate. It is one of my best sensory memories and instantly brings me back to Burgos in autumn.

Which is not an answer to the question at all! But such a good Camino experience.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I recently returned from walking the Via Francigena and had walked through groves of chestnut trees. I'd never seen them before so out of curiosity I picked up several and looked online how to prepare them. Boil for five minutes and peel; easy peasy. I'd read they have a texture similar to cooked sweet potatoes and they did. I'd never eaten "soft" nuts before and although good, they did taste a bit odd to me.🙄

Chestnuts ought to be arriving in our local groceries any day now... when they arrive I will use the above suggestion to boil and peel... Then, I am going to puree them and add a bit of sugar and vanilla and then fold that into a creme Anglaise. All folded together, I am going to put it into my ice-cream maker and hope that it comes out something like the marvellous Gelado Castenas I had from the shop nearest to Martin Pinario on Rua Azebache last month.
*WHY*... thought I to myself.... WHY do we not have this at home????
(also... all Canadian gelato and ice-cream is far too sweet and nothing like the wonderful, distinct flavours of each different treat in Europe).

I have done some reading about sweet chestnuts. There seems to be some kind of illness impacting the trees in Galicia right now, reducing harvests and eventually killing trees. Also I understood that each tree "belongs" to a family and that they have the rights to harvest the nuts rather than general foraging.

I don't care for roasted chestnuts myself although they do smell good while being roasted. The ice cream does sound pretty good though.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have done some reading about sweet chestnuts. There seems to be some kind of illness impacting the trees in Galicia right now, reducing harvests and eventually killing trees. Also I understood that each tree "belongs" to a family and that they have the rights to harvest the nuts rather than general foraging.

I don't care for roasted chestnuts myself although they do smell good while being roasted. The ice cream does sound pretty good though.
'twas truly wonderful... though I see the name is not "castenas" (as it would be in Portuguese I think), but "avellana". At any rate... fantastic.

Attachments

• IMG_5175.jpeg
    IMG_5175.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5174.jpeg
    IMG_5174.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
The smell of chestnuts being cooked on a hot tin plate. It is one of my best sensory memories and instantly brings me back to Burgos in autumn.

Which is not an answer to the question at all! But such a good Camino experience.
It seems strange how there are chestnut fast food vendors around the world. One year I remember buying Chestnuts from a cart in Birmingham UK, travelling to Russia via Istanbul and having them from a cart near Taksim square and a few days later having yet more chestnuts from a street cart in Sochi.

I think you’re supposed to roast them on an open fire…

🎶 Chestnuts roasting on an open fire
Jack Frost nipping at your nose… 🎶

(Is it too early to put the Christmas tree up?)

A large shop near me in Wales. 22 August this year!

received_640054240878344.jpeg

One of my Christmas traditions is to bake a chocolate log filled with a puree of chestnuts, cream and honey. A bit like a Swiss roll but where the sponge is made from only 3 ingredients - cocoa powder, eggs and sugar. So it is gluten-free though that is not an issue for me personally. From a recipe by the UK celebrity chef Delia Smith. A surprisingly simple but luxurious treat! :)

IMG_20201225_160056.jpg

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
We just cut a small X into the shell, roast them for while and then they are easy to peel. Don't do too many at a time, cause once they cool, they are tough to shell again.
Cannot remember for how long in the oven they should roast or what temp. Trial and error? If it isn't long enough, they won't peel. My best guess is 175° for 15 min.

Here's the recipe Peg uses for our once yearly chestnut dish (sorry about the archaic measurements). We call it simply Uzbekh Stew but it came with the title:

Lamb Stew with Chestnuts & Pomegranates

Yield: 6 servings

1 pound Chestnuts roasted & shelled
2 Onions
1/4 cup Sunflower oil
1 1/2 pound Lamb boneless cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/4 teaspoon Turmeric ground
1/4 teaspoon Saffron threads crushed
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon ground
1 cup Walnuts minced fine
1/4 teaspoon Mint crushed
1 cup Pomegranate fresh juice
2 tablespoonsTomato paste
3 tablespoons Lemon juice freshly squeezed
1 1/2 cup Chicken stock
1 teaspoon Honey
1 teaspoon Salt
1 Garlic clove finely minced
1 teaspoon Black pepper
1/4 cup Fresh mint as garnish

Heat the oil in a heavy casserole over medium heat then saute the onions & garlic for 10 minutes. Raise the heat to high, add the meat, turmeric, salt, pepper, and brown the meat on all sides. Stir in the saffron, cinnamon, mint, walnuts, tomato paste, & chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, & simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Add lemon juice, pomegranate juice, and chestnuts stir well then cover and simmer for 10 more minutes. Serve over a bed of saffron <yellow> rice.

NOTE: You may add other fruits such as prunes, rasins, apricots, apples, etc. to this. dish. Use approx. 1/4 to 1/2 cup of extra fruit(s) as a total amount.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Lamb Stew with Chestnuts & Pomegranates

Yield: 6 servings

1 pound Chestnuts roasted & shelled
2 Onions
1/4 cup Sunflower oil
1 1/2 pound Lamb boneless cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/4 teaspoon Turmeric ground
1/4 teaspoon Saffron threads crushed
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon ground
1 cup Walnuts minced fine
1/4 teaspoon Mint crushed
1 cup Pomegranate fresh juice
2 tablespoonsTomato paste
3 tablespoons Lemon juice freshly squeezed
1 1/2 cup Chicken stock
1 teaspoon Honey
1 teaspoon Salt
1 Garlic clove finely minced
1 teaspoon Black pepper
1/4 cup Fresh mint as garnish

Heat the oil in a heavy casserole over medium heat then saute the onions & garlic for 10 minutes. Raise the heat to high, add the meat, turmeric, salt, pepper, and brown the meat on all sides. Stir in the saffron, cinnamon, mint, walnuts, tomato paste, & chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, & simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Add lemon juice, pomegranate juice, and chestnuts stir well then cover and simmer for 10 more minutes. Serve over a bed of saffron <yellow> rice.

NOTE: You may add other fruits such as prunes, rasins, apricots, apples, etc. to this. dish. Use approx. 1/4 to 1/2 cup of extra fruit(s) as a total amount.

A large shop near me in Wales. 22 August this year!

View attachment 136464

One of my Christmas traditions is to bake a chocolate log filled with a puree of chestnuts, cream and honey. A bit like a Swiss roll but where the sponge is made from only 3 ingredients - cocoa powder, eggs and sugar. So it is gluten-free though that is not an issue for me personally. From a recipe by the UK celebrity chef Delia Smith. A surprisingly simple but luxurious treat! :)

View attachment 136465

Both recipes sound utterly delicious!

However, for us in the South it is definitely not chestnut season, and Sydney is one place we don't have chestnut sellers on street corners, which is why I associate it with Burgos.

Christmas for us will be mangoes, cherries, and seafood. OK, in our house we will do the traditional English Christmas Pud but really only as an excuse to pour and light a cup of brandy, for the spectacle.

OK, in our house we will do the traditional English Christmas Pud but really only as an excuse to pour and light a cup of brandy, for the spectacle.
I can just imagine you all sitting round the table under a parasol watching the pudding blazing and singing "In the bleak midwinter" in swimsuits and Akubras... :cool:

I remember sitting in a smoke filled hut while the chestnuts were spread on a metal mesh “ceiling” well above the fire. The nut warms slowly, gently over hours. As it’s juices slowly turn to steam the shell and the inner membrane are stretched away from the inner kernel. This is cocina povera and a way to pass a warm night or two as the nights lengthen. A guardian is essential. One spark, one glowing ember might destroy crop, thatch, hope.

Modern books suggest blanching and plunging into iced water. Modern industry uses pressurized steam; a blast freezer and a tumbler mill.

The old way requires thumb-nails like horn or a grandma that remembers the old ways. More modern methods just require the machinery
I hope I don’t sound too pedantic but cucina povera is an Italian term. The Spanish equivalent would be cocina pobre.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I hope I don’t sound too pedantic but cucina povera is an Italian term. Cocina pobre (or cocina de los pobres) would be the Spanish equivalent.

I hope I don’t sound too pedantic but cucina povera is an Italian term. The Spanish equivalent would be cocina pobre.
I was remembering an autumn in the Appenines. Chestnuts know no boundaries, nor does poverty.
I’ve actually no firsthand knowledge of Spanish chestnut abuse other than watching them whack the trees with long chestnut pales. But a few days in that smoke filled barn waiting for the snow to stop was an education in patience. The effort involved in producing farina dolce was an education in need. The few lire I paid for my necci in the bars became an embarrassment.

Last edited:
I think you’re supposed to roast them on an open fire…

🎶 Chestnuts roasting on an open fire
Jack Frost nipping at your nose… 🎶

Come on! It's November the 8th and you haven't put your Christmas tree up yet? Are the neighbours still talking to you?

€60,-
Thanks for your reply. Yes, of course, they are the edible variety. For how long should they be boiled?
I don’t know but pretty sure Google knows! :)
As that old chestnut goes (or will go ha):
I don’t know but pretty sure Google knows. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've enjoyed chestnuts ever since I was a child buying them from roadside roasters in Toronto in the fall.

We had the most amazing chestnuts in Cacabelos along the French route in the fall with really wonderful chestnuts with special dishes including a dessert made with chestnuts and lemon mousse meringue that was very wonderful.

As for making them, as others stated, cut an 'x' on the top and roast for about 20 min at 420 deg.
However I don't boil, and just soak in water (too eager to eat them I guess). I believe that the water just has to get in the shell for the roasting to aid in cooking (steaming?) when they go into the oven?

I've enjoyed chestnuts ever since I was a child buying them from roadside roasters in Toronto in the fall.
Being a former Torontonian, I also hold such memories.

I love the sound of that dessert you mentioned. Chestnuts are such a versatile food source!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@lindam, I thought of you today in downtown Lisbon!

View attachment 136856
It was St.Martin's Day here on Friday. The annual chestnut fair was in full force with celebrations throughout the evening. Many chestnuts were consumed alongside a local liqueur called jeropiga, a traditional pairing.

I'm currently in Marvão in southern Portugal where they have been holding their annual chestnut festival this weekend. Yes there is such a thing. They are cooked in braziers that look like dustbins and are stirred around, and end up with a lot of the shells falling off and the flesh getting burnt. They are very easy to peel, but the flesh is charred so once they are cool enough I have been scraping the worst black bits off.

Anyway, it looks like it's more of an art than a science to cook these things, or less of an art more of a make it up as you go along - once the shell starts to go black and split they're done. I reckon 20 minutes at 200c / 400f. If they're not burnt yet leave them in for a few more minutes.

€46,-
I don't know where this recipe comes from, maybe Wales, but this is what my husband has all the family hooked on: chestnuts with Brussels sprouts (apr. 50:50) with pieces of pork and stock cube in slow cooker overnight. We get the chestnuts already peeled and cooked in cans though.

I don't know where this recipe comes from, maybe Wales, but this is what my husband has all the family hooked on: chestnuts with Brussels sprouts (apr. 50:50) with pieces of pork and stock cube in slow cooker overnight. We get the chestnuts already peeled and cooked in cans though.
For me that's the proper way for Brussels sprouts to be done at Christmas.

I'm currently in Marvão in southern Portugal where they have been holding their annual chestnut festival this weekend.
I don't mean to take "chestnut talk" away from this thread, but I have to mention that I was in Marvao a few years ago for two days in June. Such a magical village with its castle on a hill; one of my very favorite memories of touring Portugal. You are lucky to be there today, chestnuts or no chestnuts!

A lovely hospitalario on the Frances taught our daughter his way of preparing chestnuts. After removing shells and membrane, the chestnuts are boiled and mashed to a chunky porridge consistency. A splash of milk and spoonfuls of Cola Cao makes a satisfying but sweet treat.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is certainly the easiest "recipe" of all.😀
I am not really interested in my chestnuts yet. I had to cut the previous pines in my field because there is a house near and they were afraid about the risk of fire. So, I planted the chestnuts 4 years ago with the intention of creating a "souto" there. In fact, I bought the cheapest ones in terms of the quality of their fruit. Nevertheless the fruit is not that bad and they are sweet enough to eat.

I am not really interested in my chestnuts yet. I had to cut the previous pines in my field because there is a house near and they were afraid about the risk of fire. So, I planted the chestnuts 4 years ago with the intention of creating a "souto" there. In fact, I bought the cheapest ones in terms of the quality of their fruit. Nevertheless the fruit is not that bad and they are sweet enough to eat.
After watching the extremely interesting Youtube video that @C clearly shared (post #5), I was fascinated as I knew nothing about chestnuts prior and had never seen them before until my recent Fall walk on the Via F. in Italy, where I became curious about them as the opened burrs and smooth nuts were all over the ground and so unusual. I since have watched a few short videos on them and like you say, there is different pricing on the trees planted according to the type and quality of the nut produced.
In Spain I always have walked in spring, so was surprised to learn that Galicia and other regions have bountiful supplies of chestnuts.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
After watching the extremely interesting Youtube video that @C clearly shared (post #5), I was fascinated as I knew nothing about chestnuts prior and had never seen them before until my recent Fall walk on the Via F. in Italy, where I became curious about them as the opened burrs and smooth nuts were all over the ground and so unusual. I since have watched a few short videos on them and like you say, there is different pricing on the trees planted according to the type and quality of the nut produced.
In Spain I always have walked in spring, so was surprised to learn that Galicia and other regions have bountiful supplies of chestnuts.
Yes, mine costed 6 euros each and the good ones for nuts costed 20 euros. In my area of Galicia there aren't chestnut forests like in El Bierzo, so chestnuts are not so important.

Walking the Invierno this October there were masses of them covering the ground where the groves where (which seemed to be everywhere). We occasionally peel one and eat it raw or collect a few and score the top and microwave for 30 seconds, but beware as they can "explode" making a nice mess in the albergue's microwave oven. My husband now prefers to walk in sandals and I seem to be extracting more chestnut prickles out of toe tops now. My favorite this time of year is the walnuts. The Invierno has a bounty of these and often we would stop under a giant walnut tree and snack for a while on the tasty nuts. But hiking boots can be a touch heavy handed for opening them up. We laughingly call ourselves the "foraging pilgrims". Ohhhh, the joys of walking Spain!

I love to forage/scavenge and walking in the spring I was unaware of all the "nuts" available in Spain, a part from all the Camino addicts, like myself.🙂
The figs and blackberries I saw were never ripe. I love berry picking, but was actually glad they were not ready as I never would have made it to Santiago.😂

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am a "chestnut producer" but the only recipe that I know so far is to put them in the micorowave with a little cut for less than a minute.
Christmas in England used to be the time for elaborate stuffing of the Christmas Fowl with forcemeat stuffing. The recipe my mother used included Chestnuts. The modern version of it is below:

Chestnut Forcemeat​

Ingredients​

Chestnuts1/4 Pound/125g
Beef suet2 Ounces/50g
Breadcrumbs1/4 Pound/125g
Sausage meat1/4 Pound/125g
Finely chopped thyme2 Teaspoon
Salt1/2 Teaspoon
Pepper1/4 Teaspoon

Directions​

Preparation

1 Using a sharp knife, score the chestnuts.

MAKING

2 In a pan, cook the chestnuts in boiling water for about 10 minutes.

3 Or, in a frying pan with 1/2 oz fat, heat the chestnuts for 4 to 5 minutes.

4 Remove the skins and peel.

5 Through a mincing machine, pass the nuts and add to the other ingredients. Alternativel place in a bag and crush with rolling pin.

6 Season the mixture well and mix all together to combine.

Either use to stuff Duck/Goose or roll into balls and fry/oven cook. This can also be cooked in the oven in a tin similar to meatloaf.

If you don’t want the trouble of preparing the chestnuts. It is OK to buy a tin of chestnuts from the supermarket.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone highly recommend an intro, fast track Spanish course, anywhere in Spain? I took Spanish lessons years ago, but was waylaid by learning Dutch, and couldn't cope with both...
Moderator, please place this in the appropriate thread. Thank you. Well, it's about time.😊👍...
Mark Taubert in FranceInfo, 24 Mars, 2024 , describes a new GR hike which has been planned for the past 10 years along the Seine passing the locations where famous 19th c Impressionist...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.