• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Preparing for temperature differences

Gwaihir

Time of past OR future Camino
2019: Nijmegen-Fisterra
2022: Trans-European Trail
Hi!

I plan to travel from the Netherlands to Santiago, and although I will be doing so in the middle of summer (I hope I will not melt), I was wondering about temperature differences.

I know some places in Spain, the heat can be so intense, you could fry an egg on the sidewalk. However I don´t know about the Northern regions, Galicia, the Pyrenees? In the time between September and October.

Are there any big temperature differences with altitude or on the coast? And if so, how can you best prepare for that while keeping equipment weight low?

Thanks!
- Camino n00b

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Layers all the way. Thin merino, fleece, lightweight wind/water proof jacket, poncho if you prefer that. It can get cold in the mountains of Leon/Galicia, and wet, and even snowy - or it could be hot. Prepare to start the day wearing almost everything and then just peeling stuff off as the day wears on. Buen camino!

I’m from Alaska. I walked in April this year and started everyday in a short hiking skirt and T-shirt. Hubby in shorts. Temps were nice in the high 40sF. I saw people not from the northern latitudes wearing tons of clothes and gloves.
Expect to be hot but take a rain jacket in case it pours. And light weight puffy in case you happened to get chilled in the evening.

While walking you will melt. Guaranteed. Make sure you have plenty of water. I walked in May 2 years ago and nearly died in 80F weather. I found Galicia very hot. The rain felt nice and cooling. I wore a rain jacket once for maybe 15 minutes. Hubby never bothered. We northern breeds are tougher and far less sensitive to “cold” than other people :) . Buen Camino

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Layers. Sunscreen. Poncho (Altus)
Astorga (western edge of meseta) peak temps about 27 degrees in July cooling in Sept to range 24 to 10 and 17-7 in Oct.
22 rain days in Nov 2018--a record!.
Being from Oregon and hating hot weather, I find it a perfect time of year to walk.
Did I mention layers??

Weather forecast for July for northern Spain is highs over 40C (ie 110F). Plus wildfires, which generate lots of smoke and particulates.

When I started the Camino de Madrid in September last year the temperatures were still reaching high 30s for a couple of weeks. I suffered, having come from single digits in NZ. I had walked in those temperatures before without problem - I think it was the sudden change instead of starting in May and gradually getting warmer.
By the time I finished at the end of October it was 3 degrees in the mornings. I was still in shorts, but most others were rugged up!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When I started the Camino de Madrid in September last year the temperatures were still reaching high 30s for a couple of weeks. I suffered, having come from single digits in NZ. I had walked in those temperatures before without problem - I think it was the sudden change instead of starting in May and gradually getting warmer.
By the time I finished at the end of October it was 3 degrees in the mornings. I was still in shorts, but most others were rugged up!
The same thing happened to me, I left Auckland at 8 degrees in September 2016, and arrived at 36 degrees in Bayonne, and even hotter by Zubiri. Quite a shock to the system, took me 4 days to learn how to cope with it. The next time I walked May/June and had plenty of time to get used to it. When we reached Santiago at the end of June it was 43 degrees, really hot, but I had built up to it. We're heading off in September again, so this time I'm mentally prepared for the heat - physically though it will likely still be a shock.

We northern breeds are tougher and far less sensitive to “cold” than other people :) . Buen Camino

Definitely. I grew up in Spain, but my Spaniard friends can´t tolerate Dutch weather. I on the other hand, can´t tolerate extreme hot temperatures :p Thanks for the tip about water!

Plus wildfires, which generate lots of smoke and particulates.

Lived through a couple of those. Can´t recommend it.

I think it was the sudden change instead of starting in May and gradually getting warmer.

I will start here, continue to Belgium and then on to France...meaning the temperature will increase gradually... most likely. I might actually have a chance to adapt to it!

I´d like to travel as light as possible, but I suppose a few Merino under-layers would be helpful.

The Spanish Meteorological Agency climate statistics can be found here. They have all the characteristics of good statistics - expect that if the average maximum temperature in Leon in Jul is 27 deg C, then half of the days will be hotter than that. How much hotter? I would expect that it wouldn't be much more than 10 deg C at the extreme, mostly much less than that.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Unfortunately, the statistical average of historical data does not account for the increasing warming trend we have experienced lately. The forecast for summer 2019 can be found here: https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/accuweather-2019-europe-summer-forecast/70008315
You are correct that forecasters should account for any long term trends. The AEMET has provided a seasonal forecast here. It suggests that there is a 50% probability of temperatures being in the upper tercile in the May-Jul period, so one might expect that average daytime temperatures will be trending upwards.

We have just arrived in Santiago having started end of April. A few hot days on the way. I took a light umbrella with a UV reflective coating. This provides portable shade but also exposes the head to any cooling breezes as no hat required. A towel soaked with water draped over head, neck or rubbed on arms and legs will cool through evaporation. A 500 ml (half litre) bottle of water with an electrolyte tablet also helps.
Stay cool! 😎

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi!

I plan to travel from the Netherlands to Santiago, and although I will be doing so in the middle of summer (I hope I will not melt), I was wondering about temperature differences.

I know some places in Spain, the heat can be so intense, you could fry an egg on the sidewalk. However I don´t know about the Northern regions, Galicia, the Pyrenees? In the time between September and October.

Are there any big temperature differences with altitude or on the coast? And if so, how can you best prepare for that while keeping equipment weight low?

Thanks!
- Camino n00b
Logorno 21c tomorrow but the next stage 7 is going to melt everyone 37...Yikes

Worst I´ve had in Spain was 45 C... at that temperature it´s impossible to hike. You can pretty much only sit in the shade and hope it will be over :p

A towel soaked with water draped over head, neck or rubbed on arms and legs will cool through evaporation. A 500 cl bottle with an electrolyte tablet also helps.

Thank you MikeyC! Invaluable advice :)

As many have written, be prepared, layers are important. May-June of 2017 I experienced 3C and sleet heading for Roncesvalles and it was 40C the day I walked into Villafranca del Bierzo. Last couple days of June in Finisterre and A Coruña, very cool with rain blowing sideways. Be prepared and Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We have just arrived in Santiago having started end of April. A few hot days on the way. I took a light umbrella with a UV reflective coating. This provides portable shade but also exposes the head to any cooling breezes as no hat required. A towel soaked with water draped over head, neck or rubbed on arms and legs will cool through evaporation. A 500 cl bottle of water with an electrolyte tablet also helps.
Stay cool! 😎
Yep, this technique saved me from a potential heat stroke 5 years ago during my Camino in August. Although didn’t have a towel so Immersed my hat in water ... that kept me cool for a bit.

My wool jumper was for the Pyrenees and I was going to leave it in a clothes recycling bin. I then wore it nearly all day and every night in May last year because it was almost freezing in other areas near mountains most mornings, with cold air blowing off! I had little else to keep me as warm as I like to be except a sleeveless jacket.

It was next very rainy through Galicia, and I only had a short waterproof poncho. I was so glad when the Spanish sun came out at last on the day after my arrival in Santiago, in June, I stayed extra days. But it was getting too hot to walk to Finisterre and my feet ached from only walking in mountain boots, I hadn't brought many alternatives.

September and October are often recommended, because of milder heat.

Advice: aim to be carrying clothes for all weathers, and worry less about extra information or reading materials, especially on your Spanish walk. Maybe take sneakers, too.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
In the heat I always thoroughly wet a bandana at all water fountains I pass by, and rub my exposed arms and neck with it before tying it around my neck...It does help quite a bit.

We have just arrived in Santiago having started end of April. A few hot days on the way. I took a light umbrella with a UV reflective coating. This provides portable shade but also exposes the head to any cooling breezes as no hat required. A towel soaked with water draped over head, neck or rubbed on arms and legs will cool through evaporation. A 500 cl bottle of water with an electrolyte tablet also helps.
Stay cool! 😎
[/QUOTE
Over what period do you drink these 5 litres of water? It is probably better to carry a couple of 1/2 litre bottles.😁

Thanks Telboyo. Should read ml rather than cl. Wouldn't advise anyone to lug a 5 litre bottle around. Have amended.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked from the Netherlands to Rome in summertime, and what I noticed along the way is that the weather kind of 'walked with me' :) The temperatures stay the same, August in the Netherlands felt like oktober in Italy. And I wore in the same t-shirt (normal shirt bought at a second hand store for 3 euros) for 3 months. The t-shirt stayed in Italy...
But there where still some really cold, rainy days and some super hot ones. As the others are saying, bringing layers is the way to go. If you are planning to camp, make sure you have camp socks, something dry on your feet is very important.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.