• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Preparing physically to walk the Camino

Zordmot

3rd CF in May 2022
Time of past OR future Camino
April-May 2022
I’d like to share how I’ve prepared for both Caminos and plan on repeating it for a third. It wasn’t intentional—I stumbled onto it but discovered that it was brilliant and thought that I would share it here.

Oaxaca, Mexico. Famous on all the cooking and travel shows for great culture and cuisine in the heart of Mexico. A very affordable travel destination. Year round seasonable weather. Altitude of 5500 ft. I discovered in the heart of the city is a broad, park-like staircase that goes up 400 steps to the picturesque outdoor tent civic auditorium where there is a great view of the city and valley. You can go up 100 more steps to the Planetarium and there is a trailhead there for an hour-long hiking trail that mimics for me much of the “moderate” level areas of the Camino Francés. You can make of all this a 30-60-90-120 minute workout at whatever level you are at. A bonus is that at mile-high elevation, your workout is worth two at sea level which is why many US Olympic teams train in Colorado. At whatever level of fitness (or none at all) you bring to your Camino if you spend as little as a week in Oaxaca or as much as a month, your Camino will be less painful and more pleasurable. I recommend hitting the steps at about 7:30 am and following it up with a coffee at one of many cafes nearby, grab breakfast at the local market, go back to your room for a shower and you’ll be ready for a day of touring the area (many tour guides available and day trips to rural villages) or just strolling this marvelous colonial-era city with its incredible architecture, museums, Aztec ruins, and markets. There are Spanish language schools available for 1 on 1 instruction for 1-2-3 hours a day and many tutors who can meet you at a cafe for a lesson. Local cuisine is the specialty at many excellent restaurants. Getting to Oaxaca is easy. Fly into Mexico City and transfer to a flight to Oaxaca or take a first-class luxury non-stop bus. Many very economical Airbnb’s. I’m happy to answer any Q’s you might have. I’m a Oaxaca-holic!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
That does sound excellent. For those able to travel easily to Oaxaca in the future I’m sure it’s an excellent choice.

Personally I think it’s important to describe the Camino Frances (apart from the first two days and the often-overstated couple of ascents in the middle) as a straightforward village-to-village walk through a very civilised first-world country with an average of at least two pharmacies and five cafes every day. The challenge is in the 30+ days. It really is a marathon, not a sprint.

If you can limit yourself to a reasonable load, the physical preparation needed is not exactly extreme.

Nonetheless, if you have the time and resources to ‘train’ in Oaxaca - or similar - then why not?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That does sound excellent. For those able to travel easily to Oaxaca in the future I’m sure it’s an excellent choice.

Personally I think it’s important to describe the Camino Frances (apart from the first two days and the often-overstated couple of ascents in the middle) as a straightforward village-to-village walk through a very civilised first-world country with an average of at least two pharmacies and five cafes every day. The challenge is in the 30+ days. It really is a marathon, not a sprint.

If you can limit yourself to a reasonable load, the physical preparation needed is not exactly extreme.

Nonetheless, if you have the time and resources to ‘train’ in Oaxaca - or similar - then why not?

Excellent points here, Henry. You touch on the two concerns that I carry forward after my experience on the CF. The background is that there is a sense that almost anyone with an OK from their doctor can walk the Camino and complete it regardless of preparation. This is something I love about the Camino and is proven true every day in every albergue and in Santiago. However, I have seen new friends truly suffer along the way because of the physical strain and because they carried too much weight in their pack. I’m a fan of exercise such as stair climbing not because it increases speed but because it adds a little bit of endurance so that there is lessened stress on the body as you walk from village to village—especially when wind, rain, cold, sun, or heat is applied. A little conditioning prior to the Camino goes a long way. I’m one of those people who tend to procrastinate good things. Just a little prep work, as all the guidebooks suggest, goes a long way.

I hope the phrase walk through a "very civilised" first-world country was not a Freudian slip.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Perhaps I live in a different world. But hearing the word "civilised" in such a casual manner in this day and age sounds so weird. Using the phrase in the context of a story around Oxaca, Mexico seems especially strange.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Perhaps I live in a different world. But hearing the word "civilised" in such a casual manner in this day and age sounds so weird. Using the phrase in the context of a story around Oxaca, Mexico seems especially strange.

I guess I'm a bit puzzled, because I don't understand the issue with henrythedog's characterization of the Camino de Santiago's in Spain as "a straightforward village-to-village walk through a very civilised first-world country". It has been frequently mentioned in that way, especially as one way of describing the difference between walking a Camino, from a wilderness backpacking trip. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very well made point which I was trying to articulate.

I think some of the above responses meant to say "economically developed" instead of "civilised."

No, I meant what I stated. Saying that Spain is civilized, did not state that other nations were not.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Zordmot, your topic named as "Preparing physically to walk the camino" covers, to my mind, about one quarter of what is necessary.

Getting up a few hills is important along with going down the other side, safely.

And others above say most walks that get talked about on this site, for the most part are village to village rambles of what ever distance you want to cover each day and usually you will pass café, bars and farmacia each day.

But about half the preparation is mental stamina to cope with change, misfortune, bad weather, accident, illness, whatever.

For example: stats gathered at the Pilgrims' Bureau at Santiago show the town started from. My recollection of, some years ago, looking at stats from the major starting points showed a discrepancy: many more were leaving, say, Saint-Jean or Burgos in a year than arrived at Santiago. Is the answer, in part, they were not physically prepared or not mentally prepared or both or something completely different.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going when you can)

I am given to understand that the majority of people walking the caminos are Spanish. It seems to be quite usual for them to walk a camino for two weeks (annual leave, or a portion of their annual leave) from a given start point, and start again the next year from where they finished the last year. It could be that they only walk for one week, and so finish their camino in four or five years (for the Francés). this could account for the discrepancy in starters and finishers.

this could account for the discrepancy in starters and finishers.

Another possible reason is that many pilgrims that have already reached SdC several times decide to stop somewhere before Sarria, avoiding the massive number of pilgrims in the latest 100 km.

By the way, as the Spanish goverment allowed us to make some sport (this starting today), I started today trainning a little for my next Camino. After near two months at home ... I really need a little trainning!!:p

I hope to be able to start a Camino in about two months (if everything goes well with the corona!). Considering the season, I am thinking of the Camino del Norte ... But I do not know if I will be able to resist the opportunity to walk the Camino Frances during the summer and almost empty of pilgrims. For me, the Camino Frances was, up to now, a winter Camino.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It has long been a dream of mine to spend time in Oaxaca. I think I might train for the trip by walking a camino.

(No, really. Oaxaca has been on my bucket list since I can't remember when).

Preparing for Camino makes it very safe saves numerous problems like injury and blisters
during this pandemic I walk every day 22 km this morning 15/20km most days
i would be on 19 day of Camino only for pandemic
really enjoying local walks mountains beaches and swiming in open sea
be safe and cool down

Very well made point which I was trying to articulate.

I think some of the above responses meant to say "economically developed" instead of "civilised."
This is per dictionary.com website:
adjective
1. having an advanced or humane culture, society, etc.
2. polite; well-bred; refined.
3. of or relating to civilized people: The civilized world must fight ignorance.
4. easy to manage or control; well organized or ordered:The car is quiet and civilized, even in sharp turns.

Sure, I will buy that as a description of Spain. Why not? How would you know what they meant to say instead?
Certainly my experience of Spain, and having spent time in other countries that had almost no infrastructure, economy or security, where we were required to travel heavily armed and in fear for our lives everyday I can see where one country could be categorized as civilized and another as uncivilized (whatever the circumstances that cause it to be).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Zordmot, your topic named as "Preparing physically to walk the camino" covers, to my mind, about one quarter of what is necessary.

Getting up a few hills is important along with going down the other side, safely.

And others above say most walks that get talked about on this site, for the most part are village to village rambles of what ever distance you want to cover each day and usually you will pass café, bars and farmacia each day.

But about half the preparation is mental stamina to cope with change, misfortune, bad weather, accident, illness, whatever.

For example: stats gathered at the Pilgrims' Bureau at Santiago show the town started from. My recollection of, some years ago, looking at stats from the major starting points showed a discrepancy: many more were leaving, say, Saint-Jean or Burgos in a year than arrived at Santiago. Is the answer, in part, they were not physically prepared or not mentally prepared or both or something completely different.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going when you can)
Well Said i know one guy coming down the other side of the Pyrenees into Roncesvalles slipped on the grey clay on the boulders and ended up in Hospital for two days with stiches to his thigh so a careful bit of planning using right footwear etc but you can never plan for the unknown and best to enjoy one day at a time Keep Safe Buen Camino

I'm not entirely sure why I'm back here - perhaps Robo 'liked' my initial contribution, which was good of him, and it sparked my curiosity.

I could clarify that my describing Spain as civilized does not - necessarily - imply that any other country is 'uncivilized'. It's not a zero-sum game. I have personal issues with some of the cultural aspects of traditional Spanish life - but, give me a country, and I'll pick a fight if I have to. Some of the responses do seem to be debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Perhaps 'economically developed' would have been a better description; but equally, some of the pedants could just chill out a bit.

Onwards and upwards, eh?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.