• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

preparing

andy.d

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Levante 2009
Camino Ingles (Coruna) 2011
Camino Ingles (Coruna) 2014
Pilgrims Way Winchester - Canterbury
Camino Ingles (Ferrol) 2015
Cistercian Way (Wales) 2016
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Sojourner, I'm really looking forward to it. It will be very different from walking the Levante solo a couple of years ago! And buen camino for you on the Madrid,

Andy

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just finished the CI last month for the second time. I can tell you that reading through this forum will give you an abundance of information to prepare properly and have a wonderful experience.
Buen Camino and don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Thanks - I've been reading through the forum and the CSI Guide. We're going for the A Coruna option due to lack of time (we will be walking in school holidays). I'm looking forward to it very much,

Andy

Good for you Andy. I enjoyed the A Coruna leg very much.

Are you intending to walk to Hospital de Bruma over one day or two?

If the latter then there is a tourist office in the first plaza you pass after the starting point at the church. They can phone to make sure you get a bed at the hotel in Pensión Residencia Alba.

They got no reply in 2009 and when I got to the Alba it was closed for a local holiday. I then had to walk back to the A’ Marisqueira in El Burgo.

There is a large pension 2km from the Alba and if you want instructions how to get to it just PM me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
Good for you Andy. I enjoyed the A Coruna leg very much.

Are you intending to walk to Hospital de Bruma over one day or two?

If the latter then there is a tourist office in the first plaza you pass after the starting point at the church. They can phone to make sure you get a bed at the hotel in Pensión Residencia Alba.

They got no reply in 2009 and when I got to the Alba it was closed for a local holiday. I then had to walk back to the A’ Marisqueira in El Burgo.

There is a large pension 2km from the Alba and if you want instructions how to get to it just PM me.

Hola - the Pension Alba appears to be closed permanently and in any event is not now on the route. The Hotel A’ Marisqueira is also not now on the route but is accessible. There are 4 other hostals on the waymarked route out of Coruna details of which are all in the guide.

Best wishes

John

Thanks. We are planning on walking to Bruma in one day and staying in the albergue there. I'm fit enough to do that (I make it about 18 miles?) and Meenakshi will be fit enough too.

We've got a full day in Coruna before we start. It's a Sunday, so I was thinking of Mass and a sello in the Church of Santiago, a good dinner, and an afternoon sightseeing / sorting out the route for the next morning / buying a few bits and pieces for the journey.

Any suggestions for sightseeing and eating in Coruna?

Gracias

Andy

Andy, I spent two half days in A Coruna- I arrived at 2.00pm and walked out of the city to the (closed) Alba and didn't do much sight seeing.

I then returned a few days later via the bus to go to the Tower of Hercules. I had my rucksack with me which slowed me down. I was very disappointed with the tower and didn't go in because of said rucksack, but it is a national monument and you might have a different point of view.

I had been on the Camino for 17 days so I went and ate at the McDonald's just for a change of diet! So I can't recommend any good places to eat.

However, there is the tourist office and hopefully Johhny Walker's Guide might be of some use.

I intend to do the A Coruna leg of the Inglés again and will do what you are doing, so please post your tips when you get back.

Finally, the tourist office gave me a good map and there appears to be a fabulous stretch of beach on the west coast of the city. Might be worth having a look via Google Earth to see if it is the sort of place to pick up a sun tan.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
John

Have the changes made the walk longer?

I hope to go back to the Inglés sometime in the next three years so I will be fascinated to see the new route and see what differences it will make.

philip

Hola

I suspect it is actually the orginal route which was waymarked a long time ago. When I came to update the CSJ guide a few years ago the waymarking had disintegrated and so I followed the guide and what waymarking there was and described the route which I suspect you followed which eventually led to the hostal Alba and onwards.

I was alerted to something being wrong when a pilgrim wrote to me about waymarks on the ground conflicting with the guide so I went out and with the aid of a taxi I did a recce of the whole route out of Coruna. It is relatively newly waymarked and the waymarks are clear.

Having discovered that there was another route than the one in the guide I walked it and revised the guide. In Portazgo the waymarks lead down to the long promenade along the estuary and come out after 4kms or so at the Church of Santiago at O Burgo (the one with the conchas on the gates) - the route goes right at the end of the promendate up past the church instead of downhill with the church on the left to turn right and then on to the hostal Alba which is what you would have done following the old guide. The route leads more or less directly up to the Church of Santiago de Sigras where there was a pilgrim hospital.

It is clearly waymarked and there are other (I think better) hostals actually on the route. I don't think it is any longer - and now it is sorted out the route makes much more sense. Have a look at the new section of the guide and you'll see the difference.

Sorry it took so long to sort out!

John

John

Thank you for that and for taking the trouble with the detailed reply.

Despite having health issues, I enjoyed walking the Camino Inglés in 2009 very much. Now that my heart is somewhat repaired I would like to go back because I can make better time and enjoy the route without the constant strain and breathlesness.

I will enjoy seeing the differences in the route and would certainly be glad not to have to walk to HdB in one stretch. I find 21-23km is about my limit these days so an over night break would be welcome.

I am sure I am not alone in saying how much I appreciate the work you have put into the CSJ Inglés guide and while a "thank you" may not seem very rewarding, it is said with heartfelt gratitude.

philip

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Back