• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Preperation for 1st timer...One thing you wish you knew?

lucyhead

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept - Oct (2013)
Hi, I'm planning my first Camino and am leaving on St. Jean on September 5th. I will doing the I will be 63 then and traveling alone. I have been doing allot of research as I'm sure many of you had. What is the one thing you wish you new and could have prepared for before hand?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
hi there.... i'm off to finish what i started 10 years ago soon! i start my camino on April 22nd.. i'm walking from SJPP to Santiago de compostela again. i think the one thing i wish i knew then was that when people say 'the camino will provide' it is really true... last time i walked for two weeks before having to go home, and i can honestly say that the degree of friendliness and goodwill between pilgrims was unexpected and made a lasting impression on me. fantastic!! also.... and i'm sure you have read this.... make sure your pack is light!!! buen camino

More Spanish! I could communicate (barely) but I really regret not being able to have good conversations - especially with the local people I met along the way. Back into Spanish class before my next camino for sure!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
'the camino will provide' it is really true.
But it may not provide a four-star solution, or even a bottom bunk!

Expectations will be met only if I don't expect much, except from yourself. You will never meet a better bunch of travelers, but you are on your own. Gratitude is preferable to expectations.

You will be passing through more then 1000 years of history, art and architecture, of great natural beauty, of chance meetings with people from all over the world which may grow into warm friendships, interesting food occaisionly good wine. Learn as much as you can before you go become aware of local custom and tradition religion and belief. And be prepared to confront yourself physically which is easy if you have trained and spiritually which may not be. I would like again to recommend a good book - "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago-the Complete Cultural Handbook" by David M. Gitlitz and his wife Linda Kay Davidson available from Amazon as Kindle if you are into that sort of thing or from here
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=gitlitz&sts=t&tn=the+pilgrimage+road+to+santiago
a real book though hardly a handbook it is a hefty paperback which explains everything you may see along the way-my copy is well worn from two pilgrimages and will accompany me again this Spring. Spain and the Camino are not some sort of Disneyland and there is much more than pretty lights and nice views.
Allow your spirt to soar but afterwards do try to understand why.

Totally agree with Theatregal. It would be so great to speak more Spanish, and be able to have deeper conversations :)
You don't NEED to speak fluent Spanish, but I am learning more, ready for next time.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
scruffy1 said:
I would like again to recommend a good book - "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago-the Complete Cultural Handbook" by David M. Gitlitz and his wife Linda Kay Davidson available from Amazon as Kindle if you are into that sort of thing or from here
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=gitlitz&sts=t&tn=the+pilgrimage+road+to+santiago
a real book though hardly a handbook it is a hefty paperback which explains everything you may see along the way-my copy is well worn from two pilgrimages and will accompany me again this Spring. Spain and the Camino are not some sort of Disneyland and there is much more than pretty lights and nice views.

This is such a good recommendation. I'm part way through this outstanding book and learning so much about the places along the Camino. It's written in a really interesting way, incorporating serious history about every village passed through, with amusing anecdotes as well as legends and tales.

I won't be bringing mine along in July though. It's far too heavy.

That walking sandals should be walked in as much as possible and that Mexifx tape is essential.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for the recommendation of "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago-The Complete Cultural Handbook."It weighs next to nothing on my Kindle-and even though I will always love paper books most, you can't beat it for bringing books when travelling!This is a great book, and with the Brierley guide, is gjving me a much fuller picture of all the beautiful things I will be able to see.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The one thing I should wish I knew more about were all the different good spirits of the Camino and all the honest walkers out there compared to the daily life and people in here in the "ordinary" life. You may wonder how to find your way, how to get this and that, but as soon as you have gotten your credential (You get it in in most churches/albergues) and then you are on your way, and everything falls into place. You will not be alone out there unless you want/need to. If you don't want to share your thoughts with anybody else, simply walk alone and look introvert...

You will meet people who become your friends, and/or you walk in your own solitude or together with other pilgrims, just as you choose/want, and you will find that the camino is perfectly doable, and if you need help, much WILL show up in front of you. Have no fears; You will get the help you need while you're on the way. You will be walking inside a friendly society. I wish you a splendid camino.

You are gong to experience some extremely good friends, and some beautiful walks, all by your own. You may even find your own mind out there. Very likely, actually.

Buen Camino to you!!!

I needed to review my journals before giving an answer to this question; it seems that now, eighteen months after the fact, I can only remember the good stuff!! I wish I had known how physically hard it is......and it really is hard. There were days when I said "why am I not sitting at my desk?" But, hands down, it was very much worth it. When I remind myself of all the super people I met and all the wonderful views, I even think of going again. Don't kid yourself, though; one of the things the Camino provides (one of the many) is hard, hard work. But didn't someone tell us that hard work builds character? First timer, don't hesitate to take on this personal challenge. You will never regret it!!

Grace

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
lucyhead said:
Hi, I'm planning my first Camino and am leaving on St. Jean on September 5th. I will doing the I will be 63 then and traveling alone. I have been doing allot of research as I'm sure many of you had. What is the one thing you wish you new and could have prepared for before hand?
Hola, Lucyhead!
As someone else said...they wished they had trained more on hills. Not many will tell you that it'd not easy. But I did it this past Sept/Oct., alone,(we are close in age) with people passing me all day long! :) it's important to train in the shoes or boots you intend to "become one with" during your Camino. Yes, remember that part, too. It's your Camino! I just walked one step at a time, stopped on the really steep inclines to catch my breath, and invariably would always catch up at different times of the day with my pilgrim friends. You walk, take a coffee break in the morning, have a bocadilla or a slice of egg tortilla when you get hungry, and stop for another coffee or soda in the afternoon, all the while chatting with other pilgrims about their blisters ( not yours 'cause you won't get any!). You begin to get a personal rhythm and you know how far you want to walk each day. It's a wonderful experience - life changing for me - and yes, I want to do it again!
Buen Camino! You will be forever changed if you go with the flow and let go of expectations.
"Bozzie"
(Dee Anne from Dallas)

I agree with previous posters - Spanish, Spanish, Spanish! Even if you only have a few words and expressions hold your head high and chest out when walking into a cafe, say 'Hola buenas! not just directed to the bar tender but to the people sitting around the bar to announce your arrival. It shows that you're confident, friendly and assertive. Watch how the Spanish do it and do the same. Buen Camino!

I've received so many friendly, encouraging responses, which convinces me that I will not really be alone if I don't want to be and if I need help on the Camino I will find what I need. I will get a way to learn Spanish, break in the right shoes/boots, train on hills, pack light, read and research and read and research some more. Thanks again for everyone's input.....Lucy

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
All of the above and perhaps not being too rigid about your plans and expectations. Despite my Camino/Jacobweg journeys to date at the start of each one I still try to 'manage' them..... and every time I get a great big kick up the behind! So enjoy where the road takes you (or a la Star Treck "resistance is futile it is the Camino and it will assimilate you" :lol: )

lucyhead said:
What is the one thing you wish you knew and could have prepared for before hand?
That 790 kms from Roncesvalles to Santiago seemed like a long way to walk with endless imponderables to be prepared for, but which at the end proved to be like Murphy's law. :roll: During 5 different Caminos there always cropped up some situation where common sense was required. :wink:

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hiking 20 k up the 1060 meter Ibaneta pass via the Valcarlos route the first time in 2004 at 64 to the monastery at Roncevalles was one of the most difficult days on the Camino and certainly the most physically exhausting day of my adult life then to date. I was pooped! Although I had hiked throughout the summer in preparation for the camino, nothing had prepared me for SUCH an effort. Beneath a deep blue sky and brilliant sun I gasped and ached while my pack weighed like bricks. But eventually I made it to Santiago walking all the way. .... Most importantly I had learned to relax and to take it as it comes enjoying the good and bearing the bad. After all this is life.

Carpe Diem!

Margaret Meredith

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back