• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Preplanning Your Stay at Albergues

Monica A

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk the Camino May 2017
I've read that staying at albergues some require reservations and some don't. For those who've experienced this how did you plan on where you stayed? Did you just wing it and see if there's room or depending how fast/slow it's taking you did you call ahead. I'm aware of the albergues listings and have printed the PDF which was amazing by the way. Any information would be helpful. Thank you in advance!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I recommend making a reservation in St. Jean - Belairi offers a wonderful experience and is located across from the Pilgrim's Office. Also reserve your second night at Orrison, ~8km up the 'hill.' Both are relatively expensive compared to the rest of the Camino, but provide good sleeping quarters, dinner, and breakfast. Other than reserving the first two nights, I have mostly stayed in municipal or parochial albergues as my first choice and they cannot be reserved ahead of time. Enjoy your planning!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Most albergues do not require reservations, and many do not accept them. An exception would be Orisson, where you do usually need to book well in advance.

I booked in SLPDP but in hindsightI really didn't need to, I arrived early 10am and there was a lot of options. the pilgrim office will find you somewhere if you haven't booked. This all depends on what time you are going to arrive.
If you wish to break the journey and go via the Napoleon route then Orrison is an option or Hunto, but both of these require booking.
If you decide to take the Val Carlos route then you'll probably get away without booking.
Another option is to walk through to Roncenvalles, no booking required.
The rest of the 500 miles or so just wing it and go with the flow, it's nice not to have any pre booked places.
Hope this helps.

you can book on a day to day basis if you wish . If you don't feel confident to make the phone call the hospitalera will usually make a call for you. If it's a big town / city then if one albergue doesn't have room another most likely will. Small places with just one or two places to stay might be more of a problem.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I definitely recommend making reservations for your accommodations at both St Jean and Santiago. Not saying it's a must, but both those cities can get quite busy and beds go fast.
As far as the rest of the Camino, up to you. If you have the means to do it, and you know exactly which town you want to stop in? Sure. Nice to have that option sometimes.
The pilgrim's office in St Jean will also give you an updated list of albergues on the Camino, with telephone numbers and other information about them.

All the comments above are great advice. I'm an independent trekker and have only, on exceptions, booked ahead. That's the great fun of being a long distance walker, the surprises of the unknown :)
On such a popular route, I feared it would be 'standing room only' at the end of every day! Wishing everyone a fantastic and healthy 2017.

To be clear, because you have gotten all sorts of info that may have your head spinning: no albergue requires a reservation and some do not take them (municipal and religious ones mostly).

Should you book in private ones? It depends first and formost on the time of the year you are walking (May to September is high season), it depends on how late jn the day you plan on walking (if you want to walk until 6pm in May, then I would say yes), also what is more important to you: will you be distraught if you get to your destination and find out the village is full and you have to walk another 3 or 4 km or will you be on edge all day not knowing for sure where you'll find a bed?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've read that staying at albergues some require reservations and some don't. For those who've experienced this how did you plan on where you stayed? Did you just wing it and see if there's room or depending how fast/slow it's taking you did you call ahead. I'm aware of the albergues listings and have printed the PDF which was amazing by the way. Any information would be helpful. Thank you in advance!
Made reservation for the first 3 days of our April May 2016 journey. After that we winged it. Had several guides down loaded but bought the Michelin Camino de Santiago guide in Saint Jean. All we used and all we needed for 500 miles.

Buen Camino

Happy Trails

To be clear, because you have gotten all sorts of info that may have your head spinning: no albergue requires a reservation and some do not take them (municipal and religious ones mostly).

Should you book in private ones? It depends first and formost on the time of the year you are walking (May to September is high season), it depends on how late jn the day you plan on walking (if you want to walk until 6pm in May, then I would say yes), also what is more important to you: will you be distraught if you get to your destination and find out the village is full and you have to walk another 3 or 4 km or will you be on edge all day not knowing for sure where you'll find a bed?

Thanks Ivar, all good and sage advice. Tony

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I never felt the need to book ahead however if you want to do so, you can do a day in advance. I prebooked in St Jean and Zubiri to avoid stress and never needed to plan after that.

Thanks Ivar. Have also been watching the youtube videos from Lindsey Cowie, who has done the Camino several times. This young lady is sharp and has some great tips on all aspects of the trek. I'd recommend any prospective Camino trekkers to have a look. Best, Tony

Thank you all for your comments. You all have provided me with a lot of information in not in an overwhelming way. I think what we'll do is make a reservation in SLPDP and possibly check out Orrison and then from there just wing it. Still have some time to finalize everything. Also, I'll make sure to look for the Michelin Camino de Santiago guide. I'm experiencing a lot of change and transitioning in my life and for me this journey is about growth and experiencing the unknown. I've accepted that I will not have every detailed planned out nor would i want that. I appreciate the fact that I'm not in this alone and I can ask all of you who have taken this journey on.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have this Michelin book in English and although it gives a map and an idea of the profile of each day it does not contain a lot of detailed information about the albergues. Perhaps this edition is a later one than mine and therefore more up to date. I still use this one because it usufully indicates each day as Red = difficult Orange=medium green= easy and that is worth having. John Brierley's books I find have more general information re places to stay maps and so on.

@FLEUR - the Michelin book is a good "general guide" which just "shows the way". I doubt the editors even envisaged it as a replacement for Brierley. Its light weight and happily goes in your pocket for quick reference.

To supplement the Michelin there is a list of all the albergues on the Camino Frances at the top of this site. You just down load it to tablet or smart phone (or print it if you need a hard copy). The only thing you then be missing is the maps of the towns that Brierley does include. Hope this helps. Cheers

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes I'd agree with your comments. Just checked my book and it was printed. 2010. On my final Camino walks I took the Michelin book and had the Brierley map book and his Sarria to Santiago and Muxia book on my phone.

I am arriving into St Jean to hike for two weeks on June 25 and I did not want to have use my phone unless for emergency so I pre booked my rooms.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I had a big debate with myself whether to stop over at Orisson or not. My recommendation is that you should take the opportunity.
1. Have an easy first day!
2. You should be first in the queue for Roncevalles the next day. Having got a head start on those heading up from SJPdP.
3. If you don't experience it you will always wonder what you missed out on.
4. It has a limited number of beds and can't accommodate everyone, people who want to stay because they're knackered but haven't booked will be turned away.
SJPdP and Orisson was the only two that I booked in advance. Other than that go with the flow.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
3. If you don't experience it you will always wonder what you missed out on.
If I may, if this is your thought process on the Camino you will be miserable. There are so many albergues (and Orisson is just that, an albergue like any other) that realistically you will only experience a very small percentage of them.

One could also argue that by opting to stay in Orisson you will out on the exhilleration of arriving in Roncesvalles with those you were with in SJPP and who challenged themselves to make the full walk in a day.

If you over think things, all you will achieve is missing out on things.

(And when you say staying at Orisson would make for an easy day, well, the hike up there is grewling, but short, so it would still make for a difficult day, but also a bery boring one watching others walk by for hour after hour, after hour).

If I may, if this is your thought process on the Camino you will be miserable. There are so many albergues (and Orisson is just that, an albergue like any other) that realistically you will only experience a very small percentage of them.

One could also argue that by opting to stay in Orisson you will out on the exhilleration of arriving in Roncesvalles with those you were with in SJPP and who challenged themselves to make the full walk in a day.

If you over think things, all you will achieve is missing out on things.

(And when you say staying at Orisson would make for an easy day, well, the hike up there is grewling, but short, so it would still make for a difficult day, but also a bery boring one watching others walk by for hour after hour, after hour).
Whilst appreciating that you can't have everything in life and that you have to make choices all the way though your life, is there any other albergue on any camino that has so much discussion as to whether to stay there or not?

Whilst appreciating that you can't have everything in life and that you have to make choices all the way though your life, is there any other albergue on any camino that has so much discussion as to whether to stay there or not?
This one gets talked about only because people going on the Camino have fears and anxieties due to the unknown. If they didn't you wouldn't hear much about it. Granon and San Anton certainly get a lot of air time here, and not because of anxieties.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This one gets talked about only because people going on the Camino have fears and anxieties due to the unknown. If they didn't you wouldn't hear much about it. Granon and San Anton certainly get a lot of air time here, and not because of anxieties.
I would dispute your assertion that it is only because of fears and anxieties that people stay at Orisson. It wasn't the reason I stayed there.
Grañón is great too.
PS I didn't have a miserable camino either.
PPS. Are the discussions about Grañón and San Anton whether to stay there or not?

There is no need to start early from SJPDP if you are stopping at Orisson. I left around 11:00 and arrived early afternoon, which was perfect.

Like Trecile I too took my time to have a wander round Saint Jean Pied de Port which is very picturesque. It seemed a shame to rush off when I'd only arrived the night before. I and my companions, bought a picnic to eat "en route". We set off about mid-day and enjoyed the sunshine and views arriving in time for a well deserved beer, but hardly a gruelling trip. It was great to sit in the sunshine on their veranda, eat our pic-nic and chat with other pilgrims also starting on their adventure.
It was sad to say that whilst we were in the bar there were a couple of pilgrims that did enquire whether they could stay the night and were given the sad response, "sorry we're full". It was not the answer they wanted given that the Napoleon route was not officially open until the following morning.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
part of your decision process is based upon what time of year you are making the pilgrimage
I definitely recommend having a date/reservation in place for when you start and when you end your camino
As but one example, I rode the camino frances this past september. When I pulled into each of the villages I would find one or two that were fully booked but most of the time there were a few beds/bunks available.

If you find yourself heavily scheduled for places to stay, and then something happens to gum up the trip (e.g. blisters, knee problems) you don't find yourself in the process of the camino but, rather, you might push yourself to move on and stick to your albergue reservation schedule when you need to rest, heal, and reflect on the purpose of the camino.

buen camino

I didn't make any reservations in Santiago or SJPDP, and those were the only places where I felt my day would have ended on a better note had I booked in advance. Otherwise, there was plenty of room! I walked in high season :)

Of course, if you don't want to stay in the albergues with 200+ people, reservations will be more important.

Buen Camino!

What Anemone del Camino said upstream is very important. DH and I tried to start hunting for a bed about 1:30 PM or 2:00. This worked great. The only places it didn't: el Burgo Ranero (arrived 3:30 pm and all 4 or 5 albergues were full. Stayed in a pension there, watched an infomercial about the spin mops, a full on thunderstorm rolled in about 10 pm, I woke about every other hour during the night, heard the patio furniture blowing around outside the window and prayed: "Dear God, please don't let it be raining when we have to leave!" and about 0300 the storm stopped) and Santiago. Santiago is a big city, but everybody and his brother comes there to visit the Apostle, and so we have concluded that about 2 or 3 days out we need to make a reservation. Though the first year, Santiago Himself found us beds for the night! As I have told some people locally, it's not only the Spanish police that are watching over the pilgrims on the Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back