• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

pretty much terrified - landing in Lisbon Monday the 28th

kim r

Time of past OR future Camino
intended: July 2014 Lisbon to Bilbao/ coastal
well i have been studying the forum and as my time to arrive in Lisbon approaches i am finding everything i have learned to now be a big blur and fear has set in - a real panic ! i have boiled it down to this: take a cab to Se Cathedral from the airport - find the albergue near it - get up in the morning and find the first yellow arrow around the corner from the Cathedral and start walking .... well i know that i do not want to walk in traffic and would like to walk as close to the coast as possible .... thats about it ! i think in my panic i will be trying to refer to all of the resources you kind people have put out there using my iPhone - wherever i can find wifi - if i have to .... the Beirleys Guide i have heard is not that great for the Lisbon to Porto route .... i have seen some good maps that someone posted but am still afraid i will get lost in the middle of no where and be to tired to keep going - i could sleep outside but not ideal i don't think.... well that a start to addressing my fear - any comforting words of advice in getting out of Lisbon going Coastal ?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Start by trying to accept rather than direct. If you are in traffic, accept it. If you are not on the coastal route accept it. You will be fine if you take what the camino has to offer. You cannot control it; it will control you.:)

Find that yellow arrow, and go. Stop for a coffee. Go some more. Watch for accommodations when you begin to tire, not when you are tired. Take what is available.

Bom caminho.

Men suffer most of what they fear

My wife and I walked the caminho Portuges all away from Lisbon to Santiago
I do not want to exchange this caminho for a luxury vacation.
This is a great walk.
Remind that it is your walk and nobody tells you that you have to do things you do not want to do.
So if you are afraid of the busy Lisbon traffic , take the train or bus to a quieter place out of town f.ex Azambuja.
We enjoyed the walk,skipped Brierleys day three from Alverca to Azambuja and took the train. The Brierley guide by the way is an excellent help finding your way ! Nothing wrong with
You will meet fantastic people, kind and helpfull locals. Fellow pilgrims..
Go to Mario's albergue in Santarèm and feel like home.
Go to Hostal Solo Duro in Golega .such nice and lovely people.
Stay at the nuns is albergaria a Velha and enjoy their care and the beautifull place. Casa da Fernanda. I can not stop telling you we enjoyed every minute of this camino even if we suffered under the climbing of The Labruja Mountain between Ponte de Lima and Rubiaes . Now we look back with a smile to this day we walked there
We hope you will enjoy it as much as we did
Bom caminho

By the way. The first yellow waymark is left.under in the main entrance portal of the Sé cathedral in Lisbon as you stand with your back to the entrance door ! From there you go round the corner to the left
The first step from there is the most difficult. The other one million steps till you reach Santiago is just a matter of repeating the first step :)

The first place you 'll find the seaside is walking outside Porto to Matosinhos to Vila do Conde. From there you can choose to follow the coast until Vigo or go to the intetior route to São Pedro de Rates and Barcelos.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
well i have been studying the forum and as my time to arrive in Lisbon approaches i am finding everything i have learned to now be a big blur and fear has set in - a real panic ! i have boiled it down to this: take a cab to Se Cathedral from the airport - find the albergue near it - get up in the morning and find the first yellow arrow around the corner from the Cathedral and start walking .... well i know that i do not want to walk in traffic and would like to walk as close to the coast as possible .... thats about it ! i think in my panic i will be trying to refer to all of the resources you kind people have put out there using my iPhone - wherever i can find wifi - if i have to .... the Beirleys Guide i have heard is not that great for the Lisbon to Porto route .... i have seen some good maps that someone posted but am still afraid i will get lost in the middle of no where and be to tired to keep going - i could sleep outside but not ideal i don't think.... well that a start to addressing my fear - any comforting words of advice in getting out of Lisbon going Coastal ?
In addition what I just wrote to you Kim I looked in my picturealbums a minute ago just to get confirmed again and again that there was no single second of regret walking this caminhoImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406408089.110234.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406408112.196638.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406408126.327762.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406408138.668427.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406408151.115641.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406408168.861927.jpg

Last edited:
In addition what I just wrote to you Kim I looked in my picturealbums a minute ago just to get confirmed again and again that there was no single second of regret walking this caminhoView attachment 11820View attachment 11821View attachment 11822View attachment 11823View attachment 11824View attachment 11825
Start by trying to accept rather than direct. If you are in traffic, accept it. If you are not on the coastal route accept it. You will be fine if you take what the camino has to offer. You cannot control it; it will control you.:)

Find that yellow arrow, and go. Stop for a coffee. Go some more. Watch for accommodations when you begin to tire, not when you are tired. Take what is available.

Bom caminho.
Thank you so much for this reply !

Wait, take a deep breath.. relax..
before the first step let go of the fear
grasp on to trust
before the first step, realize your are always in control, of every one of your actions, what you do, how you do, and why
what you cant control is the past and the future
but every step is a step forward into a better wider world
trust, that someone, anyone on the Camino will bend over backwards to make sure you come to no harm, if its in their power to do so
that is letting go of all the preconceived notions you have from the outside world, there is no place on this inner world your going to travel.
Its going to be ok
letting go of fear, anxiety, prejudice, wants and needs is part of the journey
youll come out stronger and better for having not hung on to what is yesterdays, and embrace tomorrow with hope, a faith in your self and abilities and a desire to walk in inner peace.
Its a leap of Faith
and its a knowledge you wont be alone.

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You are welcome Kim !

Let the sunshine in !

If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask me or fellow pilgrims.

grasp on to trust
before the first step, realize your are always in control, of every one of your actions, what you do, how you do, and why
trust, that someone, anyone on the Camino will bend over backwards to make sure you come to no harm, if its in their power to do so
that is letting go of all the preconceived notions you have from the outside world, there is no place on this inner world your going to travel.
Its going to be ok
youll come out stronger and better for having not hung on to what is yesterdays, and embrace tomorrow with hope, a faith in your self and abilities and a desire to walk in inner peace.
Its a leap of Faith

Buen Camino

Bom caminho.
Thanks so much for your wisdom - i feel so unprepared in so many ways -

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Bom caminho.
Great advise ! i am prone to compulsivity and could quite possibly not make sensible choices about stopping

You are welcome Kim !

Let the sunshine in !

If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask me or fellow pilgrims.
thanks for being there ! i have read so much that you have contributed and all of it is valuable to me

grasp on to trust
Its going to be ok
Its a leap of Faith

Buen Camino
Thank you !!! i hope i come to be more like you after this endeavor- i have nothing to lose

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

One thing it's for sure. I wouldn't take a god damn taxi to reach the Cathedral in Lisbon. Unless you want to start your Caminho with the possibility of overpaying for a thing that you can do for 1,95€ :D

Men suffer most of what they fear

My wife and I walked the caminho Portuges all away from Lisbon to Santiago
I do not want to exchange this caminho for a luxury vacation.
This is a great walk.
Remind that it is your walk and nobody tells you that you have to do things you do not want to do.
So if you are afraid of the busy Lisbon traffic , take the train or bus to a quieter place out of town f.ex Azambuja.
We enjoyed the walk,skipped Brierleys day three from Alverca to Azambuja and took the train. The Brierley guide by the way is an excellent help finding your way ! Nothing wrong with
You will meet fantastic people, kind and helpfull locals. Fellow pilgrims..
Go to Mario's albergue in Santarèm and feel like home.
Go to Hostal Solo Duro in Golega .such nice and lovely people.
Stay at the nuns is albergaria a Velha and enjoy their care and the beautifull place. Casa da Fernanda. I can not stop telling you we enjoyed every minute of this camino even if we suffered under the climbing of The Labruja Mountain between Ponte de Lima and Rubiaes . Now we look back with a smile to this day we walked there
We hope you will enjoy it as much as we did
Bom caminho

By the way. The first yellow waymark is left.under in the main entrance portal of the Sé cathedral in Lisbon as you stand with your back to the entrance door ! From there you go round the corner to the left
The first step from there is the most difficult. The other one million steps till you reach Santiago is just a matter of repeating the first step :)

The first place you 'll find the seaside is walking outside Porto to Matosinhos to Vila do Conde. From there you can choose to follow the coast until Vigo or go to the intetior route to São Pedro de Rates and Barcelos.
this is so helpful - you have no idea !

One thing it's for sure. I wouldn't take a god damn taxi to reach the Cathedral in Lisbon. Unless you want to start your Caminho with the possibility of overpaying for a thing that you can do for 1,95€ :D
what do i do ? bus huh- i get in at 7:30 pm i think -----

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You offer this service for that price in your new Lancia my friend ? or is it the price for the airport bus to Rossio (this time right ?

Kim, You got this, there is so much inside of you for the little world of the Camino to see
you will make a difference to someone in need on the road, you will find the difference in yourself as the days grow longer , you will find yourself growing stronger and brighter...as the burdens fall as the miles grow shorter, the strength will grow inside of you... you will see, feel and most importantly believe it!
have no fear of the coming nite, for it is the burden of the day you will lay aside
have no fear of the coming day, for that is one less burden on the way
have no fear of the road ahead, for that is one that must be led
have no fear of companion... peregrino, for all the way is lit by the light of those who went before.
if in darkened valley you find yourself
and in gloomy moore you tread
there is always a way, if... you believe it is so.
Gird your desire to the sticking place o pilgrim fair,
and soon enough I'll see you there
In Santiagos Church,
some when
some where.
this is Faith
Peace

Kim, You got this, there is so much inside of you for the little world of the Camino to see
you will make a difference to someone in need on the road, you will find the difference in yourself as the days grow longer , you will find yourself growing stronger and brighter...as the burdens fall as the miles grow shorter, the strength will grow inside of you... you will see, feel and most importantly believe it!
have no fear of the coming nite, for it is the burden of the day you will lay aside
have no fear of the coming day, for that is one less burden on the way
have no fear of the road ahead, for that is one that must be led
have no fear of companion... peregrino, for all the way is lit by the light of those who went before.
if in darkened valley you find yourself
and in gloomy moore you tread
there is always a way, if... you believe it is so.
Gird your desire to the sticking place o pilgrim fair,
and soon enough I'll see you there
In Santiagos Church,
some when
some where.
this is Faith
Peace
Beautiful !!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you !!! i hope i come to be more like you after this endeavor- i have nothing to lose
There is much to lose..
shed the burdens of doubt
lose the track of time
get lost in the moment..grab on to that one evanescent, sparkling moment and take it into your soul
breath the air of the old country
feel the soil under your feet, feel the ages under you
taste the waters, drink the wine
purge yourself of yesterday, its gone and will be forgotten tomorrow
embrace yourself, your strength and your life..take it in your heart and hands and step forward tomorrow with a clear heart, mind and spirit, open up to all the possibilities..

ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406410944.439249.jpg
My first Camino was May last year and my second trip to Europe. When I got to Ferrol I to was a basket case. While at the information kiosk looking into a room for the night, a man came up offer a room at his hotel, Hotel Silva, then drove us over the Camino
route then to the hotel. Later he dropped us off at the Decathlon store, and directed us to a fine and reasonably priced restaurant. My jitters were gone. Met people like that all over the Camino and Spain. Happy Trails

There is much to lose..
shed the burdens of doubt
lose the track of time
get lost in the moment..grab on to that one evanescent, sparkling moment and take it into your soul
breath the air of the old country
feel the soil under your feet, feel the ages under you
taste the waters, drink the wine
purge yourself of yesterday, its gone and will be forgotten tomorrow
embrace yourself, your strength and your life..take it in your heart and hands and step forward tomorrow with a clear heart, mind and spirit, open up to all the possibilities..
How Wonderful to read it and to think that may be ahead for me

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
View attachment 11827
My first Camino was May last year and my second trip to Europe. When I got to Ferrol I to was a basket case. While at the information kiosk looking into a room for the night, a man came up offer a room at his hotel, Hotel Silva, then drove us over the Camino
route then to the hotel. Later he dropped us off at the Decathlon store, and directed us to a fine and reasonably priced restaurant. My jitters were gone. Met people like that all over the Camino and Spain. Happy Trails
I look forward to these kind people - i hope to be thought of as worthy of them

Once the fear of letting go subsides, you'll find that the more you let go, the more you will. Its a beautiful day and journey ahead of you, please dont let the doubt paint the road darkly, lest you be remembering the fears and forget the wonder of the moment, of the hour and days ahead, every step a miracle, every mile a cleansing breath, and a Joyful conclusion in just a little while..the memories will last a lifetime.
someone wrote.."the experience of survival is the key, to the gravity of.." ime sure everyones heard the song, but not sure everyone understands it.

what do i do ? bus huh- i get in at 7:30 pm i think -----

You offer this service for that price in your new Lancia my friend ? or is it the price for the airport bus to Rossio (this time right ?

Lisbon Underground:

MAPA_METRO_LISBOA.jpg

The grey lines represent the train lines, and the Red, Green, Blue and Yellow, the Metro lines. Metro runs from 06:30AM untill 01:00AM. Forget the Bus system in Lisbon. It's a a complete mess :D

First thing to say to you, what Albergue are you talking about? There aren't Albergues in Lisbon :confused:

Second thing, there isn't a Coastal Route from Lisbon. At least completly marked. And if it does, it's a detour of 50 to 80km from the Central Caminho.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Kim
What fine caring , helpful information on this Blog, plus there are persons you will meet who appear to be meant to help you, and others helped by you. Embrace your fear, claim the feelings.
6 weeks ago I was on a 3 hr, 35 station zip line and ropes course. Wasn't my first time, but my first time there. I grew tired, and 25 feet above the ground, at one station facing having to walk 30 ft single cable with only, a few dangling ropes to support, I felt anxious. Suddenly a slight 12 yr old boy named Samson from Ethiopia appeared behind me, and spoke words of comfort and confidence. He said "I can see you are doubting you can make that. It has been done, and you can do it . Just step out one foot after the other, keep going, don't stop, for you can't turn back, there is no way to return." I took a deep breath, stepped out and grabbed one of the 16 suspended knotted ropes. On and on I went, step upon step and landed on the waiting platform .
The young boy followed and did the station just as I had. I was so thankful for him and told him so. I asked "How many times have you done this ?" He replied " I have never done it before, this is my first time!"
Many lessons from those regardless of age, who travel this earthly pilgrimage with us.
It is called community and trust.
Kim, I have never been on the Camino Portugal. I am a pilgrim on the Camino Francis, and although I have walked in New Zealand and Nepal, this is my first time.
!Buen Camino!
Camino Don

When you arrive , arrive. Take time to land.
Feeling Panic only means that one has already encountered the 'Gods' (Panic and the word for the greek god Pan are connected. Pan would show up suddenly/impromptu in the forests and fields and thus evoke a fright/'pan'ic in people for they have been confronted with a force greater than themselves.)
Don't know how long your flight will be, but I would counsel to give yourself a few days to acclimate, if it's a transcontinental journey).
The Credential can be obtained at the Catedrale Se or at the Basilica Dos Martires (next to metro stop Baixho Chiado; Sacristry opens @ 17:00hr).
You can take the train out of Lisboa - St Apolonia trainstation (has a matching metro stop as well) - see map that Diogo has kindly provided. Trains run often; train tickets for a ride out of Lisboa 2-3Euros.
I would recommend taking it straight to Azambuja.... ca 30 minute ride - and start walking from there. Lovely scenery awaits you.
After approx 16km there is a lovely peaceful stop where you can overnight (Quinta Marchanta in Ponte de Muge, 20euros+-) - the next day another approx 15 km and you are in Santarem @ Hostel Santarem, 15euros+-....and so forth.

You will have plenty of opportunity to be compulsive and fret and worry -- if you so choose. Or you can equally opt for being open to the marvelous kind and helpful and friend portuguese people one can encounter on the path - and the other pilgrims you encounter.... and the gorgeous landscape and very historic village and towns you will visit (I stayed two days in Tomar, KnightsTemplar territory. Loved it!!)
Yes, sometimes yellow arrows don't show up and one walks some kilometers in 'guesswork' --- "am i on the proper track or will i have to retrace my steps?" -- either way, you will not drop off the planet and sooner or later you will encounter another human being who will be most likely very helpful. Many speak english ... and if one doesn't - they find someone who can.

The coastal way would start in Porto --- by the time you'll get there you'll know more details and know what you like to pursue, and... by that time you probably have walked all panic out of your system and have eased into the flow of the caminho :)

keep your common sense - and proceed with confidence!!
(and have a glass of vinho verde if you like wine...so refreshing after a long day's walk)
just returned from spending 5-6 weeks in portugal - and every day i am delighted and grateful for the marvelous and profound time I was allowed to experience there.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/460445/pilgrimage

very best to you - and a most precious Bom Caminho!

PS: plus -- there is the SOS phone number from the Via Lusitana organization - a volunteer org that for e.g. paints those yellow arrows in portugal, and so much more.... Don't have that number handy right now, but perhaps another kind forum member can provide it?! Thank you ever so much ...

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Kim
What fine caring , helpful information on this Blog, plus there are persons you will meet who appear to be meant to help you, and others helped by you. Embrace your fear, claim the feelings.
6 weeks ago I was on a 3 hr, 35 station zip line and ropes course. Wasn't my first time, but my first time there. I grew tired, and 25 feet above the ground, at one station facing having to walk 30 ft single cable with only, a few dangling ropes to support, I felt anxious. Suddenly a slight 12 yr old boy named Samson from Ethiopia appeared behind me, and spoke words of comfort and confidence. He said "I can see you are doubting you can make that. It has been done, and you can do it . Just step out one foot after the other, keep going, don't stop, for you can't turn back, there is no way to return." I took a deep breath, stepped out and grabbed one of the 16 suspended knotted ropes. On and on I went, step upon step and landed on the waiting platform .
The young boy followed and did the station just as I had. I was so thankful for him and told him so. I asked "How many times have you done this ?" He replied " I have never done it before, this is my first time!"
Many lessons from those regardless of age, who travel this earthly pilgrimage with us.
It is called community and trust.
Kim, I have never been on the Camino Portugal. I am a pilgrim on the Camino Francis, and although I have walked in New Zealand and Nepal, this is my first time.
!Buen Camino!
Camino Don
that is an endearing story ! thank you for telling it !

Feeling Panic only means that one has already encountered the 'Gods' (Panic and the word for the greek god Pan are connected. Pan would show up suddenly/impromptu in the forests and fields and thus evoke a fright/'pan'ic in people for they have been confronted with a force greater than themselves.)
Don't know how long your flight will be, but I would counsel to give yourself a few days to acclimate, if it's a transcontinental journey).
The Credential can be obtained at the Catedrale Se or at the Basilica Dos Martires (next to metro stop Baixho Chiado; Sacristry opens @ 17:00hr).
You can take the train out of Lisboa - St Apolonia trainstation (has a matching metro stop as well) - see map that Diogo has kindly provided. Trains run often; train tickets for a ride out of Lisboa 2-3Euros.
I would recommend taking it straight to Azambuja.... ca 30 minute ride - and start walking from there. Lovely scenery awaits you.
After approx 16km there is a lovely peaceful stop where you can overnight (Quinta Marchanta in Ponte de Muge, 20euros+-) - the next day another approx 15 km and you are in Santarem @ Hostel Santarem, 15euros+-....and so forth.

You will have plenty of opportunity to be compulsive and fret and worry -- if you so choose. Or you can equally opt for being open to the marvelous kind and helpful and friend portuguese people one can encounter on the path - and the other pilgrims you encounter.... and the gorgeous landscape and very historic village and towns you will visit (I stayed two days in Tomar, KnightsTemplar territory. Loved it!!)
Yes, sometimes yellow arrows don't show up and one walks some kilometers in 'guesswork' --- "am i on the proper track or will i have to retrace my steps?" -- either way, you will not drop off the planet and sooner or later you will encounter another human being who will be most likely very helpful. Many speak english ... and if one doesn't - they find someone who can.

The coastal way would start in Porto --- by the time you'll get there you'll know more details and know what you like to pursue, and... by that time you probably have walked all panic out of your system and have eased into the flow of the caminho :)

(and have a glass of vinho verde if you like wine...so refreshing after a long day's walk)
just returned from spending 5-6 weeks in portugal - and every day i am delighted and grateful for the marvelous and profound time I was allowed to experience there.

PS: plus -- there is the SOS phone number from the Via Lusitana organization - a volunteer org that for e.g. paints those yellow arrows in portugal, and so much more.... Don't have that number handy right now, but perhaps another kind forum member can provide it?! Thank you ever so much ...
amorfati - Claudi - ("Cloudy" in Canadian)- ... i love clouds btw ! i have learned so much from yo already in this forum and for you to address me is so important to me right now! having just done what i am about to do..from Lisbon! you orientation is so very much appreciated and i now know i had some crazy ideas about 'green arrows' that take you to the beach ! out of Lisbon- there was a very adventurous person that put some other directions besides that even but so complicated to follow- thanks again ! so helpful -

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm a terrible planner and get over-whelmed by all the organized possibilities, so I usually fly by the seat of my pants. when I arrived in paris, I didn't even know how to get out of the airport. I paced the cdg for a couple hours and made phone calls to family (answering machines with my luck of course!), telling them how I was freaked out and didn't know what to do with myself. I didn't have a place to stay that night, and had no idea how to get down to st-jean. annnnd, it all turned out great with my best experience in life to account for it. met someone within 5min of arrival in st-jean and we hiked the entire route together. afterwards I wanted to walk the southernmost coast of spain to tarifa. I had no idea what I was getting into...but it seemed possible, after-all, how hard is it to walk a coastline? got lost several times, walked hours of highway at one point having to bypass a couple military complexes that I was told to leave, and to this day I have no idea what towns I passed through. but those several days were some of the best of my trip. I had one rule: whenever I saw water, I'd stock up with as much as I could carry, not knowing when I would see water again. if you chose to trail blaze at any point, be smart about it. your intuition is your best friend.

I'm a terrible planner and get over-whelmed by all the organized possibilities, so I usually fly by the seat of my pants. when I arrived in paris, I didn't even know how to get out of the airport. I paced the cdg for a couple hours and made phone calls to family (answering machines with my luck of course!), telling them how I was freaked out and didn't know what to do with myself. I didn't have a place to stay that night, and had no idea how to get down to st-jean. annnnd, it all turned out great with my best experience in life to account for it. met someone within 5min of arrival in st-jean and we hiked the entire route together. afterwards I wanted to walk the southernmost coast of spain to tarifa. I had no idea what I was getting into...but it seemed possible, after-all, how hard is it to walk a coastline? got lost several times, walked hours of highway at one point having to bypass a couple military complexes that I was told to leave, and to this day I have no idea what towns I passed through. but those several days were some of the best of my trip. I had one rule: whenever I saw water, I'd stock up with as much as I could carry, not knowing when I would see water again. if you chose to trail blaze at any point, be smart about it. your intuition is your best friend.
Fear is a bad counseler !

View attachment 11827
Maybe your next camiño in future !? Camiño Ingles. Great walk too. We made it this year !

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You will be forever and indelibly changed by this
You will find yourself grown "bigger" inside, than what you thought possible to fit, so it will all have to go some place
heal the hurt
find the answer
lose the doubt..
there is always ALWAYS! more of you!!
dont fret the way, it is all.."the way"
even if lost, your still moving forward
stopped and hurt, your still moving
every road leads somewhere,
even if its a dead end , you can always turn,
its ok to make mistakes, because they lead to knowledge if you let them.

embrace your moment, every breath and step, every second devoid of thought for the world'out there" for the the world"right here, right now"
the irrepressible urge to joy is in you, drink of this and you will find the cup overflows for you
call your name to the wind and it will carry to the stars all toil, strife and pain
everything is right there, at that moment to gain and to lose
its ok to let go of the corrosion of doubt
bend before the forge, for its the dross to be beaten from the Gold in you, you wont break,as you learnt to bend as the ways of the road show you
Life.
Peace

A selection of Camino Jewellery
One thing is for sure: if you are coming alone, trust me, you will evolve a lot, both in behavior and how you see the world. The world it's not dangerous has they told us. There are bad people out there, catastrophes, etc, etc, but in the end, the world it's a safe place. You can never forget that what drives and compels all humanity it's this: make it right to survive another day in the journey that is life :)

You will find a lot of people to help you. Sometimes, even when you aren't counting with that. And hey, I live nearby Lisbon, and work in Lisbon, so if you need something, just PM via here, or send me an email to metalmelitia666@gmail.com

You will be forever and indelibly changed by this
You will find yourself grown "bigger" inside, than what you thought possible to fit, so it will all have to go some place
heal the hurt
find the answer
lose the doubt..
there is always ALWAYS! more of you!!
dont fret the way, it is all.."the way"
even if lost, your still moving forward
stopped and hurt, your still moving
every road leads somewhere,
even if its a dead end , you can always turn,
its ok to make mistakes, because they lead to knowledge if you let them.

embrace your moment, every breath and step, every second devoid of thought for the world'out there" for the the world"right here, right now"
the irrepressible urge to joy is in you, drink of this and you will find the cup overflows for you
call your name to the wind and it will carry to the stars all toil, strife and pain
everything is right there, at that moment to gain and to lose
its ok to let go of the corrosion of doubt
bend before the forge, for its the dross to be beaten from the Gold in you, you wont break,as you learnt to bend as the ways of the road show you
Life.
Peace
ok you guys have me crying now ! the beauty must be out there - i hope i can bring some home with me on the inside like you all have

this pack - eremerged ! and i still have two loads of laundry to put in there- (traveling form London where i have been visiting someone) ! all the clothes i have in the world ! i will donate them i guess when i get there - i hear there is stuff shed all along the way !

€60,-

amorfati1 - hey there again ! how many km's do you estimate that your Camino was ?

ok you guys have me crying now ! the beauty must be out there - i hope i can bring some home with me on the inside like you all have
Hi Kim!
I so envy your up coming camino. It is beautiful, as many of my friends [above] have said.
If you get lost - it won't matter! Many of us get lost, and the locals are so kind, and put us back on the right path again.
If you get hungry - there are many places to stop for a meal.
When you get tired, pause to rest and if the shadows are lengthening, start looking for accommodation.
There is absolutely nothing to worry about - you are going to enjoy every moment of it :)
When you finally return home, drop us a note and tell us about it!
Buen camino, amigo!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
amorfati1 - hey there again ! how many km's do you estimate that your Camino was ?
dear kim - only got a vague approximation: somewhere around 500km. i used the pedometer (spelling?), which was helpful. approx 13 000 steps were 10km,
26 000steps 20km etc. I knew that when i approached 30 000 steps, i was pushing my luck ... Once I did over 35 000 ... and once it shall remain.;)
Since i took the train out of lisbon etc, i am not 100% sure what the total would be.
am still rather gobsmacked that i've walked that much at all, with a back-pack no less.
- thus for me, a certified lounge-chair-potato, walking 460km or 500km or more ...details details details :) did not matter much to me at all.
keep us posted when you can and like - and be prepared to marvel and be endeared ... and yes, walk and schlepp a lot ...
enjoy!
saluti, claudia

poppy field after porto de muge and before Santarem in May
boardwalk en route to Vila do Conde

Attachments

• Poppies_i.jpg
    Poppies_i.jpg
    963 KB · Views: 2
  • boardwalk_CNN.jpg
    boardwalk_CNN.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 2
From Lisbon it is about 650 kms to Santiago , no matter you take the safe walk out of Porto along the coast or the unsafe walk to Vilarinho.
The information is important if you allready booked your return flight so you can count with your daily distances to walk.
We pensionados had all time of the world so it did not matter if we came back home one week earlier or later.
Booked the returnflight the last days before we entered Santiago

Last edited:

I enjoyed reading all the replies to your original post. This year, I did my second Camino Frances, and am presently starting to plan for my Spring 2015 Camino. I hope to do the Camino Portuguese - Coastal / Littoral route. In my research, as a matter of fact yesterday, I reduced the starting bit to a series of by-the-numbers steps to follow. I include them here for your consideration.

1. Arrive LIS in early AM from home
2. Take red line (dir S. Sebastiao) to THIRD STOP – Oriente
3. Proceed from METRO to Oriente train station - upstairs
4. Buy ticket to Porto from Lisbon at kiosk in station
5. Stash Camino rucksack at train station left luggage.
6. Repack / condense stuff to be mailed onward (soft duffel) to Ivar at Santiago
7. Buy a caixa (box) at the post office. The post office is directly outside the station to the left I think. But it is definitely there.
8. Pack everything from the duffel into the box.
9. Ship the box to Ivar Rekve at Santiago. His information is available on this forum.
10.Return to station left luggage, retrieve rucksack.
11.Ride train to Porto, overnight at Porto
12.Start Camino...
13. Arrive Santiago about 12 days later +/-

I also researched and made a list of the likely stages I might follow along this route. However, this part is still in draft mode. They are based on another post from the forum and from John Walker's CSJ guide. The overnight housing suggestions and costs are from the other forum poster, not me.

The Camino Portuguese guide is available as a .pdf download from the CSJ website. Please contribute. You can load the .pdf file to an iPhone, iPod Touch or other smart phone or tablet, etc. Here are the stages, etc....

1. Porto - Matosinhos
2. Matosinhos - Vila do Conde; 29.6km, Hotel Brazao €38
3. Vila do Conde - Apulia; 24.3km, Hotel Apulia Praia €40
4. Apulia - Viana do Castelo; 36.2km, Convento €6
5. Viana do Castelo - Caminha; 31.1km, Albergue Donativo €6
6. Caminha - Tui; 19km (train between Cerveira- Valenca); Parador €70
7. Tui - Mos 24.7km; Albergue, €6
8. Mos - Redondela; Albergue 14.3km, Privado €15
9. Redondela - Pontevedra; 24.2km, Hostal Peregrino €15
10.Pontevedra- Caldas de Reis; 29.8km, Albergue €6
11.Caldas de Reis - Teo; 36 km, Albergue €6
12.Teo - Santiago de Compostela; 15 km, Albergue the Last Stamp €18

NOTES:
1. As regards to the first steps, I am convinced they are correct and were very carefully researched. Most people say to use the other train station, Santa Apolonia. However, the Oriente Station is uber modern, spacious, and has every convenience, including an adjacent Correios (post office).
2. I always send extra clothing and other items I may need on reaching Santiago ahead to Ivar Rekve at Santiago. As I require a special diet, including powdered protein supplements, this is included. I pre-pack everything before I leave home so it is very easy and quick to sort, and reassemble into the rucksack for the actual Camino and for down-the-road shipping. If I find I have too much, buy souvenirs, or decide I no longer need something along the way, I send additional parcels to Ivar. On my first Camino in 2013, I sent three boxes. This past May I sent four...go figure...
3. The daily stages and places to stay are based on another pilgrim's recommendations and experience on this route. So, I recommend a personal reality check against the Brierley guide or the John Walker CSJ guide.

I hope this helps.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I enjoyed reading all the replies to your original post. This year, I did my second Camino Frances, and am presently starting to plan for my Spring 2015 Camino. I hope to do the Camino Portuguese - Coastal / Littoral route. In my research, as a matter of fact yesterday, I reduced the starting bit to a series of by-the-numbers steps to follow. I include them here for your consideration.

6. Repack / condense stuff to be mailed onward (soft duffel) to Ivar at Santiago
7. Buy a caixa (box) at the post office. The post office is directly outside the station to the left I think. But it is definitely there.
9. Ship the box to Ivar Rekve at Santiago. His information is available on this forum.
12.Start Camino...

I also researched and made a list of the likely stages I might follow along this route. However, this part is still in draft mode. They are based on another post from the forum and from John Walker's CSJ guide. The overnight housing suggestions and costs are from the other forum poster, not me.

The Camino Portuguese guide is available as a .pdf download from the CSJ website. Please contribute. You can load the .pdf file to an iPhone, iPod Touch or other smart phone or tablet, etc. Here are the stages, etc....

1. Porto - Matosinhos

NOTES:
1. As regards to the first steps, I am convinced they are correct and were very carefully researched. Most people say to use the other train station, Santa Apolonia. However, the Oriente Station is uber modern, spacious, and has every convenience, including an adjacent Correios (post office).
2. I always send extra clothing and other items I may need on reaching Santiago ahead to Ivar Rekve at Santiago. As I require a special diet, including powdered protein supplements, this is included. I pre-pack everything before I leave home so it is very easy and quick to sort, and reassemble into the rucksack for the actual Camino and for down-the-road shipping. If I find I have too much, buy souvenirs, or decide I no longer need something along the way, I send additional parcels to Ivar. On my first Camino in 2013, I sent three boxes. This past May I sent four...go figure...
3. The daily stages and places to stay are based on another pilgrim's recommendations and experience on this route. So, I recommend a personal reality check against the Brierley guide or the John Walker CSJ guide.

I hope this helps.

The reply that it's funny and serious at the same time. Way to go @t2andreo ! About the station matter, yes you are correct, Oriente it's better for that. But you can also send it from the Airport ;)

12.Start Camino...

1. Porto - Matosinhos

NOTES:

I hope this helps.
From Porto Sé Cathedral to Matosinhos is 10 kms. We stayed in hostal Central in Matosinhos
From Matosinhos to Vila do Conde is 20 kms eventually you walk 5 kms northwards to Póvoa de Varzim where is an albergue
In Tui is an albergue. Why this expensive Spanish parador ?
Redondela has a cheaper albergue right in the middle of the center at a big square I thought it is a Xunta albergue.

I'm on Camino now... Arrived in mealhada today..stage 10. Up till now there has been a Hungarian girl and myself, but this morning in coimbra...we are now a group of 5 independent woman. But it's nice to have someone to have coffee with... For what it's worth, I haven't read full post as in WiFi limited area, but I stayed in L A hostel for 14 Euro, very basic, but nice, and they are now used to Camino from helping me with direction, even hide an early breakfast in a drawer for me. I just went to oriented first day, and back to Lisbon hostel that night... 9 km about from Se. I follow Laurie downloaded book and it's super.. And easy to carry. I also posted a small packet for 4 Euro including envelop of stuff that I'll use from Porto on... I also walked from oriented to Vila franca and then back to Lisbon On 2 nd day... Just meant I eased myself in, and didn't carry eeverything. Now feet sore, but all good. Some long days, some beautiful Ones and even if u think it alone, ure not... There is probably swine just behind u..

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh Ya...mostly staying in firefighters places..3 Times so far. All good.

Fear is a bad counseler !

agreed. it did however get me moving, regardless if I knew the train was the right one or not. but as soon as I started moving it became a trip of internal motivation rather than motivation from unease. honestly, I'm a content loner in life, but that was the first time I've put myself into a situation where I was alone with no other option.

From Porto Sé Cathedral to Matosinhos is 10 kms. We stayed in hostal Central in Matosinhos
From Matosinhos to Vila do Conde is 20 kms eventually you walk 5 kms northwards to Póvoa de Varzim where is an albergue
In Tui is an albergue. Why this expensive Spanish parador ?
Redondela has a cheaper albergue right in the middle of the center at a big square I thought it is a Xunta albergue.

The parador mentioned was cited by the forum member I copied the stage list from. It is not my preference. I explained that in the notes. No problem. I personally prefer hostals or small hotels in place of albergues as I catch chest colds and stuff easy. But if there is a cheaper, better solution, go for it.

The parador mentioned was cited by the forum member I copied the stage list from. It is not my preference. I explained that in the notes. No problem. I personally prefer hostals or small hotels in place of albergues as I catch chest colds and stuff easy. But if there is a cheaper, better solution, go for it.
Must be a wealthy pilgrim who stays in Spanish paradors.
Advantage of paradors is that they are often in antique buildings and well situated.
But for a pilgrimage... Go for the albergues and hostals and some special places the camiño has to offer you I should say.

Matosinhos
http://www.pensaocentral.net.

Póvoa da Varzim albergue
https://pt-br.facebook.com/alberguesaojosederibamar

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Must be a wealthy pilgrim who stays in Spanish paradors.
Advantage of paradors is that they are often in antique buildings and well situated.
But for a pilgrimage... Go for the albergues and hostals and some special places the camiño has to offer you I should say.

Matosinhos
http://www.pensaocentral.net.

Póvoa da Varzim albergue
https://pt-br.facebook.com/alberguesaojosederibamar

I believe that it's not a matter of wealth, but to know where you feel better. There is a lot of people to which, put a backpack on their back, and hike for 15km per day, it's a huge effort for their comfort zone.

Some people even feel better to sleep in a tent, hammock or tarp, than to sleep inside an Albergue, crowded with 50 snoring pilgrims :p

Besides, I don't believe that kings, queens, princes, and all the nobles who have done the Camiño in other days, would stay in Albergues :D

Last edited:

Are you American?

It would be wise to unlock your cell phone and get a SIM card. Look for a cell/tech stand/kiosk at the airport, train station or a VODAFONE. I haven't been on a camino but I lived in Europe and understand the uncertainity. I am going Porto to SDC starting Oct 19th and I have the same "fear" of getting lost or reading some reroute sign and not making it to my destination.

I have a friend doing Lisbon To SDC right now. Everything has been ok on his trip.

In Lisbon, alot of people hit up tourists to offer the purchse for drugs. That may freak you out but try to not let it. Just don't look lost or completely panic to attract someone bad. Its harder said than done but in Lisbon, many of the shop owners speak enough english and can help. Remember if getting out of the city and taking a train to the next stop, eases your mind. If it eases your mind to pre book a room, do it.

Trust your gut.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back