• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Prevent Blisters on Camino

JasonWSM

Time of past OR future Camino
Cycling the Camino May - June 2023
Here is the greatest trick you'll ever need to prevent blisters or skin damage.....Each week prior to your pilgrimage, soak your feet in a bowl of Which Hazel for around 10 minutes each time, it hardens the skin on your soles and also in general, in the military it's done in a slightly different way but with which hazel this will help you 100% and stop you from getting blisters ever again. Buen Camino my friends.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for sharing your experience! It's always good to add whatever info we can to the toolkit as we work through which strategies work for our "snowflakes". I was researching how to toughen up my feet just yesterday and I'm conflicted because my natural instinct is to use a pumice stone and jojoba oil afterwards to soften and pamper. Thanks again for sharing your experience, I'll definitely consider it. 😀

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for the tip! Had never heard of it before.

But I doubt that one thing can prevent all kinds of blisters 100% 😉. Not saying your solution doesn't help, it's always good to have more tools in the box! So, thanks for sharing that!

From my experience it's a bit more complicated, though, with different strategies needed depending on the source of the problem. Soaking feet will not help against blisters one gets from too small shoes, for example.

It really depends on why the blister occurs. There are different kinds of blisters which have different causes, so different things will work or not to prevent them.

So if it is okay for you I'll add some additional strategies to prevent blisters 🙂.

Is the shoe too big? That will cause the foot to slide in the shoe, which causes friction, and usually superficial blisters. You can try a thicker insole or sock. Also tighten the laces more. Vaseline can help to reduce friction, or double socks.

Is the shoe too small or has the wrong fit? That will cause pressure, usually in certain points. Feet of different people have very different shapes and need different shoes. Some manufactures models are more wide, some more narrow, sometimes even a special model is needed, for example for people with hallux valgus. If the shoe is too small you can try thinner insole or socks. If the fit ist wrong you can only change to another shoe. As a on-the-way-fix I have seen people cut holes into their shoes where they had pressure points... Sometimes tying laces differently helps, too (less tight in certain part of the shoe).

Is there too much moisture/sweat? This will cause the skin to get more soft and blisters form more quickly. You can try a different sock fabric, panty liners as liner in the shoes, foot powder... and most important, stop often, take off shoes, let the feet air out and change socks!

Dirt in the shoes. Dust can accumulate, and travel through the fabric of the socks after a while, and will cause friction. Solution: change socks frequently, wash feet from time to time during the day when you see a fuente or river.

Pressure blisters on the sole of the foot. Usually on ball of the foot and heels. Those I find to be the worst. Cause is too much weight (body+backpack), hard surfaces (asphalt walking) and little cushion from the sole of the shoe ("dead" shoes, minimal/barefoot shoes...). Those blisters can be very deep and can take a long time to properly heal. Even with good strong skin, they can form deep *under* that, even in layers (blister under blister). Prevention: lighter backpack, walk on the side of the road in the grass whenever you can, soft insole, more rest stops, shorter walking days, shoes with more cushioned soles. This is the only kind of blister that ever stopped me from walking for a few days.

Socks too small. Will put pressure on the toes and cause blisters on the toes. Use bigger socks.

Socks too big. Fabric will get wrinkles which causes friction, which causes blisters. Change to smaller/tighter socks.

Blisters that form because of an injury - for example problem with left knee or foot, you tend to put more weight on the right leg, will shift your gait, which can cause more injuries and/or blisters. Get the root problem fixed. Use hiking poles.

I probably forgot other kinds of blisters or am oblivious to their existance, but those are the kinds I've had or have seen people with that problem.

A few things that can help to prevent blisters in general:

- walk shorter days

- walk more slowly

- make plenty short stops and at least one longer stop during the day to rest your feet

- take off shoes and socks, air the feet, elevate the feet during those stops (not on the chairs in a bar, please). Taking a nap in the grass and putting feet up on the backpack works well.

- change socks during the day, bring one extra pair for that.

- reduce pack weight

- Drink enough water (important to prevent any kind of injuries in general)

- footcare (you want tough skin but not too thick callouses which can also create problems). Soaking ect. with certain products, water with salt and vinegar, ect. falls under this category for me.

- If you notice a pressure point forming, stop immediately (!), tape it and/or cushion it with hikers wool, ask yourself what could have caused it. Fix the cause if possible (adjust/change socks, elevate/air feet for a while, walk more slowly ect.).

Wishing a blister free Camino to everyone!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Here are a couple of interesting articles about toughening skin to prevent blisters and the effect of calluses on blisters formation.

I have never had issues before - but last year I did two things different - i didn't use my preferred lanolin cream on my feet, but some fancy foot glide, AND I didn't remove a callus on the side of my heel before I started. Ended up with a blister next to the callus and one underneath... AUCH. Even the Blister King of Murias de Rechivaldo would not touch the deep one... Got sorted out by a podiatrist in Ponferrada and after a day of rest I was good to go. So I learned my lesson. I will go for "soft" feet - obviously not freshly peeled, but not hard either.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Here are a couple of interesting articles about toughening skin to prevent blisters and the effect of calluses on blisters formation.

That pretty much sums it up, @trecile - thanks for sharing!

Agree, Rebecca Rushton is my go to "blister guru". I received my Blister kit today. I treated myself for Mother's Day. 😍

View attachment 147239
Thanks @Flauna - I trust it will serve you well. If you have any questions or need help troubleshooting any issues out on the trail, flick me an email - I'll be only too happy to help. Buen Camino!

Sticking with wearing nylon knee highs under my socks & turning both inside out. Easy & cheap. 5 Caminos & no blisters. My podiatrist agrees that this is a good solution.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Here is the greatest trick you'll ever need to prevent blisters or skin damage.....Each week prior to your pilgrimage, soak your feet in a bowl of Which Hazel for around 10 minutes each time, it hardens the skin on your soles and also in general, in the military it's done in a slightly different way but with which hazel this will help you 100% and stop you from getting blisters ever again. Buen Camino my friends.
I walked the Via Frances in 2013… entire distance with nary a blister. Rotated Smart Wool socks every 2 hours and applied Body Glide to my feet every day before starting to walk. I’m pretty sure that the Body Glide was the reason for no blisters

Have a supply of Compeed of various sizes with you at all times. Great product for blisters or hot spots. All the pharmacies along the Camino carries it.

Have a supply of Compeed of various sizes with you at all times. Great product for blisters or hot spots. All the pharmacies along the Camino carries it.
Feelings about Compeed can vary. Some people swear by it and others swear at it.

Above you see an example of the former. The folk at the podiatry clinic my son attended on Astorga hated it. And it certainly didn't seem to help with his blisters.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Great product for blisters or hot spots

Feelings about Compeed can vary. Some people swear by it and others swear at it.

Above you see an example of the former. The folk at the podiatry clinic my son attended on Astorga hated it. And it certainly didn't seem to help with his blisters.
Compeed is pretty expensive for hot spots. Moleskin or tape are cheaper and as effective. Compeed is made to be used on open wounds.

Whatever….Compeed sure worked for me and allowed me to complete the CP yesterday. While there are certainly other remedies available, I would not attempt a Camino without Compeed.

I've tried compeed and similar products a few times and it simply does not stick to my feet. Falls off after a few steps or hours max and causes more additional problems than it helps. Far too expensive for that, and completely useless for me personally.

For taping I use physiotape, because it sticks very well even when it gets wet later, and it is flexible. Good for taping curves around toes, heels, ect. It's also one of the few tapes I am not allergic to. So I always carry a roll. It's an essential Item in my first aid kit.

Some use paper tape, leukoplast, whatever is available in the next farmacia, or even duct tape instead. Whatever works!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm off to walk the last 7 days in a couple of weeks. Going to use some double skinned merino socks so I hope they'll help but I've managed to get boots that fit better than any I've ever had before.

For your viewing pleasure this is what some really expensive boots did to me in the Swiss Alps.

View media item 11646

Last edited:
Of course everyone has their own system…but mine was:
*start with really well-fitting boots and good, cushioned merino wool socks
*walk slowly and take frequent breaks (also good for those who complain about being bored after arriving at the albergue at noon…and you can enjoy the scenery more)
*stay hydrated
*regular lotion on my feet in mornings and/or evenings
*use hikers wool whenever there was a hot spot (applied immediately even if I was only 2km from the albergue or if I needed to sit in the dirt to apply it)
*…and a fellow pilgrim gave me an extra-small compeed bandage for my right little toe when a red spot was forming after some days with lots of steep downhill. I used hikers wool on top of the compeed to provide extra cushion during the healing process.

I just walked the Primitivo and a bit of the Norte beforehand and never had a full-blown blister. Many people I met along the way were struggling with the pain in their feet from their blisters. They are a lot tougher than me; I would have stopped walking, to be honest.

An ounce (gram) of prevention is worth a pound (kilogram) of cure. Same is true for being diligent about stretching to reduce knee and leg pain along the way.

I have walked multiple caminos, Never had a blister. I really believe a successful walk depends on pilgrims investing in their feet before they walk.
What has worked for me:
1. Buy the best quality hiking shoes/boots that you can afford. I usually buy 1/2 size larger (for socks, insoles, liners) than usual with a wide toe box. Break them in for a couple of months. Love them.
2. I use polypropylene sock liners with merino wool socks. The liners are available on Amazon. I wash my liners every day.
3. Vaseline. Yes, cheap old-school Vaseline. Skip the expensive new toe waxes. I use a small amount all over and between my toes, my bunions, my heels, EVERY morning. I apply it anywhere that pressure may occur. Not gobs just a small amount.
4. I put on my liners carefully. I Stretch out the toe area, so my toes can move. No wrinkles. Then I put on the wool socks, again careful that the toes can wiggle and there are no folds or wrinkles.
5. I throw away most insoles that come with my shoes and insert a high quality insole, or orthotics. I take a spare pair to switch out from time to time.
6. Every night I air out my shoes by removing the insoles.
7. Every night I rub my feet with Traumeel, (or Traumacare).
8. I take regular breaks, (every 5 km in the beginning)take my back pack off. Remove my shoes to air them out. If I feel a hot spot at any time, I stop, add some Vaseline to the area, maybe a bandaid or compeed.
Buen Camino! Take care of your feet!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have walked multiple caminos, Never had a blister. I really believe a successful walk depends on pilgrims investing in their feet before they walk.
What has worked for me:
1. Buy the best quality hiking shoes/boots that you can afford. I usually buy 1/2 size larger (for socks, insoles, liners) than usual with a wide toe box. Break them in for a couple of months. Love them.
2. I use polypropylene sock liners with merino wool socks. The liners are available on Amazon. I wash my liners every day.
3. Vaseline. Yes, cheap old-school Vaseline. Skip the expensive new toe waxes. I use a small amount all over and between my toes, my bunions, my heels, EVERY morning. I apply it anywhere that pressure may occur. Not gobs just a small amount.
4. I put on my liners carefully. I Stretch out the toe area, so my toes can move. No wrinkles. Then I put on the wool socks, again careful that the toes can wiggle and there are no folds or wrinkles.
5. I throw away most insoles that come with my shoes and insert a high quality insole, or orthotics. I take a spare pair to switch out from time to time.
6. Every night I air out my shoes by removing the insoles.
7. Every night I rub my feet with Traumeel, (or Traumacare).
8. I take regular breaks, (every 5 km in the beginning)take my back pack off. Remove my shoes to air them out. If I feel a hot spot at any time, I stop, add some Vaseline to the area, maybe a bandaid or compeed.
Buen Camino! Take care of your feet!
Thanks for the info on preventing blisters. Would it make a difference if the liner is merino wool toe socks and the outer socks are polyester/dry max?

Thanks for the info on preventing blisters. Would it make a difference if the liner is merino wool toe socks and the outer socks are polyester/dry max?
The purpose of the polypropylene liners is to glide against the skin and reduce friction on the skin. They also wick moisture away to the wool which absorbs but also wicks. The combination in that order is magical. Two separate socks.

The purpose of the polypropylene liners is to glide against the skin and reduce friction on the skin.
The inner sock should be like another layer of skin. The gliding is done between it and the outer sock. That keeps the friction away from your skin.

They also wick moisture away to the wool which absorbs but also wicks. The combination in that order is magical. Two separate socks.
👍

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have never experienced blisters during my 35-day sojourn from France to the Cape through the Norte and the Primitivo despite carrying more than 15 kilos without a walking aid. Here's what I did.

1. I changed socks every three days. I don't carry that much pairs and socks don't dry easily like synthetic fabrics. If you can change it everyday, the better and make sure during the middle of your day's journey you interchange the left to the right and the right to the left. Small strategies matter in the long run.

2. I wore a pair of light hiking shoes that is quick-drying and breathable. The cheapest on display in Decathlon. I choose low ankles because the route of the Camino de Santiago is predictable. So far, the only difficult stretches are the remains of old Roman roads. Those are ankle breakers, especially going downhill during a rainy day.

3. I smeared petroleum jelly on the whole surfaces of my feet every morning. The jelly controls outside temperature coming in contact with the skin and prevents moisture accumulating in the furrows and breaks in the skin which could create soreness.

4. As much as possible, I try not to walk on hard surfaces. High temperatures on the pavements transfer to your rubber soles, the socks and your feet soles. Everything expands when in contact with high temperatures. Your feet is made up of muscle tissues and fluids making it vulnerable to expansions and became tender. Tenderness lead to breaks in the skin then blisters.

5. I choose the grassy part where there are dirt on the exterior part of pavements. Temperatures on those underappreciated parts are lower and has softer surface. It also saves your rubber soles from wearing out.

6. You may start early or you may start late but sprint (3rd-4th gear) to noon, while you still have the energy and the complete control of your pace and balance. Enjoy a one-hour siesta. The Spanish have perfected it. Adapt their ways. I did. After the siesta, you may walk slow but no more than 5:00 PM. The long daylight hours might give you a false sense of security and so walk more than what you planned. Never overstretch nor be tempted by daylights after 7:00 PM.

7. Use a walking aid or a staff. Energy and weight transfer to the sticks blunting unexpected injury like twisted ankles and knees. The sticks also increased safety by keeping your balance.

8. Avoid carrying more than 9 kilos. The pressure of perpetual movement with a load over irregular terrain is just too much for your spine, the hips, the knees, the ankles and the soles. Strong people could adjust well but people living sedentary lives who suddenly thought of a few weeks of exercise because of the Camino de Santiago are vulnerable.

9. Treat your feet and the legs like a brother. An injured foot or one leg will not bring you far nor it can carry you to places. As much as possible, walk with a staff or a walking aid, and travel light.

I have never experienced blisters during my 35-day sojourn from France to the Cape through the Norte and the Primitivo despite carrying more than 15 kilos without a walking aid. Here's what I did.

1. I changed socks every three days. I don't carry that much pairs and socks don't dry easily like synthetic fabrics. If you can change it everyday, the better and make sure during the middle of your day's journey you interchange the left to the right and the right to the left. Small strategies matter in the long run.

2. I wore a pair of light hiking shoes that is quick-drying and breathable. The cheapest on display in Decathlon. I choose low ankles because the route of the Camino de Santiago is predictable. So far, the only difficult stretches are the remains of old Roman roads. Those are ankle breakers, especially going downhill during a rainy day.

3. I smeared petroleum jelly on the whole surfaces of my feet every morning. The jelly controls outside temperature coming in contact with the skin and prevents moisture accumulating in the furrows and breaks in the skin which could create soreness.

4. As much as possible, I try not to walk on hard surfaces. High temperatures on the pavements transfer to your rubber soles, the socks and your feet soles. Everything expands when in contact with high temperatures. Your feet is made up of muscle tissues and fluids making it vulnerable to expansions and became tender. Tenderness lead to breaks in the skin then blisters.

5. I choose the grassy part where there are dirt on the exterior part of pavements. Temperatures on those underappreciated parts are lower and has softer surface. It also saves your rubber soles from wearing out.

6. You may start early or you may start late but sprint (3rd-4th gear) to noon, while you still have the energy and the complete control of your pace and balance. Enjoy a one-hour siesta. The Spanish have perfected it. Adapt their ways. I did. After the siesta, you may walk slow but no more than 5:00 PM. The long daylight hours might give you a false sense of security and so walk more than what you planned. Never overstretch nor be tempted by daylights after 7:00 PM.

7. Use a walking aid or a staff. Energy and weight transfer to the sticks blunting unexpected injury like twisted ankles and knees. The sticks also increased safety by keeping your balance.

8. Avoid carrying more than 9 kilos. The pressure of perpetual movement with a load over irregular terrain is just too much for your spine, the hips, the knees, the ankles and the soles. Strong people could adjust well but people living sedentary lives who suddenly thought of a few weeks of exercise because of the Camino de Santiago are vulnerable.

9. Treat your feet and the legs like a brother. An injured foot or one leg will not bring you far nor it can carry you to places. As much as possible, walk with a staff or a walking aid, and travel light.
Thank you Trailhawk! Great tips!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.