• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Preventative dental work

jlmiko

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi, all. Today I went for a dental check up and they said I have a cracked tooth that may eventually break and need a crown. They said the crack is getting worse. I've been aware of it for some time. I'm wondering if I should just get the crown now rather than risk breaking a tooth on our camino in September. Anyone ever have to make this decision? How are the dentists in Spain?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That's funny, I went to the dentist today, too. Unfortunately, he identified a crown, a cavity, and a chipped tooth that needed attention. I think I'll have to make a list of priorities. Good thing my camino money is safely tucked away in its own account.

Hey guys - I too am thanking my lucky stars that my Camino money is already tucked away. Expensive amount of dental work to be done before I leave in 3 weeks. One cracked tooth which needs a new kind of filling and the possibility of an infection in an old root canal. Is there something in the air??? The one thing my Endodontist said is that you don't want to have anything happen in Spain to your teeth. So I'm thinking if you can get the work done before you go ... do it. Otherwise you don't want to be stuck somewhere with no dental service or a problem with the languge barrier.

So excited ... no tooth pain can dull the excitement. Starting on 1 September from SJDP!!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey Flea and Jimko - wow, we're all taking off in September and all dealing with surprise dental concerns. I wonder how many pilgrims check in with their dentist before leaving only to find there's a bit more work to do. At least quality of dental care as advanced quite a bit since the middle ages. So, I'm leaving SJPdP on the 19th and can barely wait. I'm sure your chomping at the bit, too (no pun intended) :) I wish you easy relief for your teeth and a buen camino to you both. Keep smiling and keep walking.

Dentists in Spain are excellent - have no concerns about that. The lady dentist I used on the east coast was from Dublin!
Problems with teeth would be the very least of my worries: that's like worrying about being bitten by a scorpion - I only saw one in eight years!!
Relax - tranquillo! Enjoy the camino!

Ultreya!

I have recently been to the dentist too - and discovered I had two fractures in a tooth. As we start the Camino on the 2nd of September, and have to leave NZ on the 29th of August there was not enough time to do a crown. Instead he has done a temporary patch job which will last around 6 months. No more tooth pain when I drink cold water! I've had that done before on another tooth which needed a crown and it was fine, lasting the time needed for me to return from travels.
Good luck
Lynley

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My daughter broke the cap of her front tooth on a very crusty breakfast bocadillo in a cafe between Triacastela and Sarria. Luckily she was able to retrieve the broken portion and on reaching Sarria we enquired at the pilgrims' office for a dental clinic and followed directions into the town centre where we arrived to a full waiting room at about 1pm, and after pleading with the receptionist, were granted an emergency appointment.

After a wait of about an hour Ella was seen by a charming dentist in what should have been his lunch break. He and his assistant spent not far off 30 minutes preparing and applying the piece of cap and I was astounded when he charged 40-€. He could have charged her practically anything. What incredible value!

I live in Spain and can say that medical and dental services are excellent. I am sure that if my daughter had a similar experience in the UK she would have been charged a great deal more than the equivalent of 40 euros.

Buen camino, Maggie
Daily report from Camino Frances Apr/May 2013 at http://magwood.wordpress.com

I had tooth ache on and off for 10 years but no uk dentist could find a cause. Then whilst cycling from Sintra to Santiago - I got awful pain. Went to dentist in Tui (Spain) and they gave me painkillers, antibiotics, anti-inflammatorys and a shot in the backside! A fellow pilgrim (Irish) said 'Take it all' - so I did. Had a very slow. confused cycle to SdeC with the walkers often overtaking me - which made them very happy!
On my arrival in Santiago - on my birthday - whilst everyone else was at mass - I was sat in a dentist chair for 3 hours. I did not know what they were doing nor why, BUT I was cured! My miracle from St. James was a complicated root canal I found out later - and I have not had any more problems in the 4 yrs since. So hurrah for Spanish dentists and hurrah for St. James!!

This is unbelievable. I found out a month ago that I need some dental surgery done which will significantly cut into my Camino funds. The following week two of the other three family members coming with me found out they need some too, which will affect their trip.

I was concerned by the coincidence when it was limited to my family, now I'm astonished!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi all

I am totally bouyed by all the positive feedback on the dentists in Spain. I will put it to my Endodontist that he's putting the fear of god into me (so to speak). I hear everyone's pain on forking out money from our spending money but the last few weeks have taught me that I can't change what has now happened and whatever will be will be.

Super excited. 20 more sleeps until I'm on a plane out of Melbourne, Australia. 5 days in London / Scotland getting over jet lag etc and "carbing" up!!!! And then arrive in SDJP on 31 August to start walking on 1 September. First real holiday in 9 years and can't wait to get away from sitting at a desk all day and being available to colleagues and clients 24/7.

Again thank you to all the wonderful people who have eased my fears about dentists.

Buen Camino

Well, I had my surgery this morning. Let's hope this was the last roadblock before my Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.