• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Preventing contagion

inspiredjen

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (4-2013)
Reverse Camino Frances (5-2016)
Attempted Camino (8-2019)
Germs spread. Bring soap.

I won't discredit the myriad bar and albergue owners -- they work too hard for criticism -- but I will tell you that you will be lucky to find something besides water to wash your hands.

So bring a tiny bar or a squeeze bottle with you into the cafe servicios and albergue bathrooms -- and stay well on the Camino.

Can I get an amen?

<3

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, to bringing your own soap. We carry soap, but also a small spray bottle of hand cleanser/steriliser to use when needed. It stays zipped in my pocket, also a small travellers toilet roll (each) needed in some cafes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm with Annie in this! I've seen some modern albergues where they have the soapdispensers attached to the wall but again they don't have to hang those...

This year many of the hostales and hotels have liquid soap dispensers, by the basin and in the shower, not little soap tablets. We decided that it must be more economical for them to do it that way, and every saving must matter to them if they are to stay in business. Some of these were places we had stayed on previous Caminos, when they provided not just soap but shower gel and even a comb each.

Taking our own soap means too that we have it for washing our clothes..........

Soap and hand sanitizer is no guarantee against contagion. At best it minimizes the spread of "germs". No one wants to get sick, no one wants to spread the sickness they have but yet sickness is part of our lives and these things spread around despite every effort at prevention. We all need to realize this. I've seen families of 6 or 8 with half the members get influenza, the other half don't - why? No idea. Same with strep infections and MRSA. When H1N1 hit my area, I was the first one in my family practice clinic to come down with it - I proceeded to bring it home where all family members except my husband caught it, despite all my efforts at preventing its spread. And HOW did my husband not get it?? I think we have to admit these things are not well understood. Also viral shedding in most cases is at its peak the day prior to symptom onset - sooo...no reason to be upset with those who are coughing and sniffling, they were more likely to give it to you before they were actually sick. Many times the cough is simply the body clearing itself of mucous and they are no longer actually contagious.

One societal trend I find rather disturbing is some actually will be angry, annoyed or resentful of others for being sick. Like they could help it? One could argue that everyone who is ill with infectious disease is actually a victim of that virus or bacteria. You can think of the infectious agent/parasite like a robber - now you can do SOME things to try to prevent being a robbery victim but you can't prevent it every time. We ought not blame the victim of robbery nor should we blame those who are ill and "give it to you" I know there are many who disagree with me but after years of practicing medicine that is the conclusion I've come to.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Typhoid Mary checked into the albergue in Carrion after I was set up in my bunk. She coughed, hacked, sneezed, and blew all afternoon and night. I was lazy and stayed. Two days later, I was in the same condition, but chose to check into a hostal in Leon for three days to recover. Next time, regardless of how tired I am, I will pack up and leave in the same circumstances. She was being irresponsible staying in an albergue, but I was just plain stupid! I can't control her irresponsibility, but I can control my stupidity.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.