• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Price List at Reyes Catolicos 1961

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
While walking in Santiago today I saw this in a window. It is an official price list for the now 5-star hotel, Parador Reyes Catolicos in Santiago from 1961.

Prices in Pesetas, divide it by 166 to get today's euros. For example, one room without bathroom was 200 pesetas/ 166 = 1 euro 20 cents.

Attachments

• price-list-reyes-catolocos-1961.jpg
    price-list-reyes-catolocos-1961.jpg
    880 KB · Views: 1,133
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There are still great deals to be had at the paradors.

Things are getting tough in the service sector these days, though... there´s a January/February special on at the Paradors just now. We stayed at the Parador Hostal San Marcos in Leon last Sunday: a double junior suite for 70€ ! Not bad! We didn´t even have to share the bathroom.

Reb

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I stayed in this parador after my camino...I can't remember how expensive it was, but whatever the cost, it was worth it!!! I stayed there 3 or 4 days I think...

In 2009 the daily rate for a standard room for two persons is 225 Euro. A 30% discount is offered to guests 55 and older on a limited number of rooms. If you accepted a free room along the Camino, this may not be the place to stay!!

If you are drawn to the idea of staying in the lap of luxury in a 15th century building, it's worth exploring on the parador web site a bit. Though the daily rack rate may be 225, like Rebekah says, there are lots of specials. I'm taking my parents on a 60th wedding anniversary trip to show them some of my Camino favorites, and I've booked rooms at the Reyes Catolicos for 120 per room. That's half the rack rate. It's called the "tarifa unica" and the program gives you very low rates at many paradores.

I know that some peregrinos have strong feelings about the paradores, but if you're in the pro-parador group and travel to Spain a lot, you should consider joining the "Amigos de los paradores." It entitles you to free parking in the places where they have garages (ok, that's not much of a benefit if you're walking!), a free drink of house wine in the bar (and the bars are often destinations in themselves), and you get frequent emails from the paradores with specials. Given the downturn,those emails are now coming fast and furiously -- there's a deal on now for amigos through the end of June that offers rooms with breakfast for 75E at many paradores. It's also one of those "collect points" things, and I have friends who have had quite a few free splurges with those points.

There are quite a few nice paradores in Galicia (Santo Estevo and Cambados would top my list) that would make very nice post-camino relaxation destinations. Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The devil is in the details. There is a "Young Persons" special program:

What it is?

Guests between 20 and 35 years of age (inclusive) can stay at any participating Parador for just 56 euros, per person per night, in a standard double room with buffet breakfast included.
Only one of the guests, sharing the room, has to be between 20 and 35 years inclusive.
Single person's supplement applied to double rooms occupied by one person: 33 euros
Some Paradors require a supplement, which must be paid directly at the Parador.
Extra bed:
Child (Up to 12 years inclusive) 27 euros for accommodation and breakfast per night.
Adult (13 years and over) 45 euros for accommodation and breakfast per night.

How to request it?

The 'Young Persons Getaway' must be requested when making your reservation, prior to arrival at the Parador.

Supplements

(a) 35 euros supplement at the Paradores of Baiona, Caceres, Chinchon, Cuenca, La Granja, Jaen, Javea, Segovia, Carmona and Toledo;
(b) 45 euros supplement at the Paradores of Santiago and Santillana Gil Blas
(c) 56 euros supplement at the Paradores of Alarcon and Hondarribia
- The supplement is not applied in January, February, November and December at Baiona and Santiago.
- The supplement is not applied between January and May or October and December at Leon.
- The supplement is not applied between January and May or October and December at Leon.
- The supplement is not applied from Sunday to Thrusday in January, February, November and December in Carmona, Cuenca, Chinchon, Jaen, La Granja, Lerma, Segovia and Toledo.
- The supplement is not applied in January, February at Lerma.

So the 56 Euro special rate is actually 101 Euro in Santiago for most of the year (202 Euro for two, somewhat below the 225 Euro regular rate)! And that is per person and includes breakfast, which under the normal rate quote is not part of the room rate, but is required at 20 Euro per person in addition to the 225 Euro room rate (or 265 Euro total for the double).

The hotel chain is a for-profit business, so just like you read the details on your bank loan to see how you are being cheated, read the details on the "specials." They are rarely as good as the headline indicates, but if a business had to be up front about itself, perhaps no one would patronize it! I personally would not go to Santiago without going to the Hotel Hostal dos Reis Catolicos breakfast buffet (in my pilgrim clothes and hiking boots).

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.