• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Price

Jme

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning on walking the Camino.
Coming from Australia, including flights what have people found the price of Camino to be? Thank you

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I suspect that there is too much variability in the options available for a reasonable answer to be given to this. Even on the camino once you get there, the amount you might want to budget for daily expense will depend on whether you wish to keep to a tight budget or not. Anywhere between 30 and 50 euro/day seems reasonable. My wife and I rarely exceeded 100 euro / day together, but there were people claiming to spend less.

Last edited:
Coming from Australia, including flights what have people found the price of Camino to be? Thank you

Hi Jme, I do not know about flights from Australia but my budget on the Camino Frances is 30 Euro's a day which I find more than enough. Saying that, I only stay in albergues or sleep outside (my preference), and drink LOTS of beer. So, buy staying in albergues, occasionally cooking your own evening meal and having picnic lunches along the Way it can be much cheaper than my 30 Euro's per day.

Hope this helps,
Buen Camino
Davey

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Jme, I can see you have posted multiple questions today. The very kind and knowledgeable forum members could answer most of these. However the price question is very difficult but here goes ... All in Aussie dollars:
1. Daily costs likely to be between 50 and 80. Could be much higher depending on your choice of accommodation.
2. Airfares to European hub - wide variation according to season, how far in advance etc .. lowest about 1500 to around 2500 for economy special!
3. Getting to your starting point for Camino ... Will depend on choice. It is costing me 130 from Paris to St Jean but I booked ages ago and am flying to Biarritz.
4. Travel insurance I guess 300.
5. I assume you are already factoring in equipment purchases. They could be quite high

There are some pilgrim groups in Australia that can help as well with questions about Australians on the Camino.

Answers to some of your other questions:
Yes you can trust Bourricot Express
Yes you need an adapter for Europe.

Economy class airfares range upwards from around A$1300 return depending on High/Low/Shoulder season, and also on how early you book.
I agree with Doug in that daily expenses are usually in the 30-50 Euro range per person. Utilizing 4/5 star hotels regularly would kick this higher.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
My wife and I budget A$150 a day and stay in private accommodation with WC. Slightly more for the bigger city's. Then you also have to take into account fares and accommodation to and from where you arrive in Europe.
You are better off having more money than not enough. When your new friends want to go out for dinner and you can't because of lack of funds, it makes for a disappointing Camino. Remember this may be the only Camino you ever do so make it the best.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Last year I walked 37 day's and I did spend about 1400 €.
I can't say what your plane ticket cost.
I come from Holland and last year I came by train and that cost me 94€.
Wish you well, Peter.

I've had days that cost me €15 including all meals and the albergue, and days that cost me €200 including Michelin-starred food and a really nice hotel.
It really depends on how much luxury you want and whether you have the strength of mind to keep walking on those very, very rare occasions when the albergue is full and the alternative accommodation is full and there's only the expensive hotel left - and it's 10 km to the next town. (I don't, but I must say that beds with actual sheets and nice towels feel quite sybaritic after a week of sleeping bags and snoring people.)

I feel (can't be sure) that there is a regional price inflation after Sarria, in a strip 200 meters wide at both sides of Camino and village streets more frequented by pilgrims. It gets worse as you approach Compostela.
I suppose it is just market economy, the old supply and demand logic.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.