Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Prices etc

HollyB45

Time of past OR future Camino
planning to attempt in september
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to all this so forgive me if I make a few mistakes.
I am a 19 year old girl planning on walking the camino from Oviedo at the end of September as part of my world travels and have a few questions.

1) What is the minimum amount you can spend per day on the camino/ price of hostels?
2) Any safety tip for a young lady walking alone?
3) when I finish at santiago I plan on going to Madrid. Does anyone know a cheap way of getting there?
4) Do you recommend getting a passport at the first stage or get it off this website?

Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hola and welcome to the forum.
a) Our personal experience of the Primitivo is getting dated (2012) but you can reckon on approx 6€ minimum for the public albergues, 10€ approx for menu del día (main meal), 3.50-5.00€ for breakfast if not provided in the albergue and in a cafe, extras (drinks and snacks during the day) plus food bought for either lunch or supper. Approx 25€ per day and more if you use private albergues or hostals. This year, on a different Camino, we are allowing 30€ each per day but are using private accomodation. We would rather over budget and bring some home than under budget and go hungry etc.
b) Keep your money, passport (national), and cards (money type) with you at all times - even to the shower, this could apply to phone and camera so take a good waterproof bag. This is just a sensible security precaution and not meant to suggest anything 'nasty' is common. Use your normal common sense - the camino is basically very safe.
c) never gone that way - sorry
d) If you get your passport here, from Ivar, then you can collect a stamp as you leave home and also one from the Cathedral in Oviedo (shop/Cámara Santa) Monday - Saturday during opening hours (closed for siesta), then you have no worries about either getting it or having it stamped if you arrive when the cathedral shop area is closed.

Enjoy your planning and Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi all,

I am a 19 year old girl planning on walking the camino from Oviedo at the end of September as part of my world travels and have a few questions.

1) What is the minimum amount you can spend per day on the camino/ price of hostels?
3) when I finish at santiago I plan on going to Madrid. Does anyone know a cheap way of getting there?
4) Do you recommend getting a passport at the first stage or get it off this website?

Thanks!

For question 3, this may help.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com.../?q=Santiago+to+madrid&o=date&c[title_only]=1
Buen Camino

Hi all,

Thanks!
Hi Holly, welcome! Tia Valera is the expert! I've done a guide pulling together lots of sources for my June walk on the Camino Primitivo. You might find it useful. It here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-muxia-finisterre-guide.225/update?update=250

Liz

Good for you for doing this @ 19!

Re. Getting to Madrid, look at RyanAir flights fron Santiago: quick and well priced.

As for minimal budget, I would factor in 30 Euros: 10 for a bed, the rest for food. Keep,in mind that 1.30 x many cafes con leches adds up.

As for walking alone as a single woman: just do what you would do at home, the Camino is no different.

As for your credencial, yah, you can get it here and live in comfort, or start your Camino by getting it at the cathedral, having to locate it, get opening hours etc., which is much more in the Spirit od the Camino. OR, get,it from your local or national Camino group at hpe, paying a premium that allows it to pay for the services it offers.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi all,

Thanks!

1. I would budget 35 euro per day.

2. Keeping out of trouble is 99.9% about keeping your mouth shut, dressing in a conservative manner (something that doesn't scream 'hey look; a tourist'), and not getting drunk. Keep your hand on your wallet when on the Metro and in crowded places.

3. There are three ways to get from Santiago to Madrid.

a. Renfe train
http://www.renfe.com/

b. ALSA bus
http://www.alsa.es/en/

c. Flight from Santiago Airport to Madrid Airport. See Aena Santiago airport site for details.
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Santiago/es/

Prices vary for each according to when you go and how close to date of travel that you buy tickets. The plane might be cheaper than the bus ...

4. If you can get your credential before you leave then its one less detail to look after when you are on the move.

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTdressing in a conservative manner (something that doesn't scream 'hey look; a tourist'), .[/QUOTE]

The good news is that for your next 60 years od travelling NEVER will you feel as much as a tourist as on this walk: there is no way with these walkng shors and tech wear you will ever again look this ridiculous and be a pickpocket target in Madrid. As for conservative... Wear tech gear will make you look like a tourist on steroids, so cleaerly not date- wear

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back