• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Prices of hotels vs hostels

travellover

I was trying to price a night for our upcoming Camino and got confused/surprised about prices.
For example Porto 06/30 one night for two: various hostels 20-25 dollars per person in dorms (40-45$ per night ), hotel - private room 35-45$ via expedia or booking.com
Same situation in Santiago and Madrid.

Why people are choosing to stay in dorms and pay higher price? Or I am missing something?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi travellover,
I think, though I'm not sure, that you are looking at youth hostels. That's a very different kettle of fish than the camino albergues (typically translated as "hostel" into English because we just don't have a word for it) for pilgrims. Porto doesn't have an albergue to my knowledge, and even if it did, it wouldn't be listed on expedia or booking.

If you are walking the Caminho Portugues, the ViaLusitana maintains the most complete list of accommodations on their website: http://www.vialusitana.org/en/albergues_eng/

And you should try the Confraternity of St. James' online guides to the Portugues. They will be updated soon, but there is good info there as well. Buen camino, Laurie

Why people are choosing to stay in dorms and pay higher price? Or I am missing something?

In addition to what peregrina2000 posted.

Without you providing examples it's only a guess.

Price depends on location
facilities
meals?

The list goes on.

A youth hostel in a trendy part of a city might cost more per night then a hotel far from the centre.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For example garden hostel in Porto (the cheapest hostel for that day) , June 30, 1 night for 2 people - $19 per person in 8 bed dorm - $38 per night for two, or $66 for double room.

Or Residential Cristo Rei hotel , $28 per double room with shared bathroom.
Or D.duarte hotel $19 for double room with private bathroom.
All three places are found on booking.com, looks like all three are within 10-15 min walk to the cathedral. There are more choices, about 15 other hotels/double room accommodations priced well below $38. And about 50 places are well below $66.
Same situation in Santiago and Madrid.

For example garden hostel in Porto (the cheapest hostel for that day) , June 30, 1 night for 2 people - $19 per person in 8 bed dorm - $38 per night for two, or $66 for double room.

Or D.duarte hotel $19 for double room with private bathroom.

I'll compare those two. Duarte's cheapest room has an external bathroom. The reviews aren't too great.

The hostel also has some negative reviews but for the most part seems nicer. Of course reviews are always hard to fully understand.

The hostel provides a kitchen and washing machine.

Honestly if there are two of you I'd look at the apartments. Booking.com shows some interesting apartments for not much more money. Part of the extra money you'll spend on the apartment you'll save on having breakfast in the apartment.

Are albergues generally cheaper for the single traveler (not a couple) ,as opposed to lower-priced hotels? I am hearing more and more that there are low-priced hotels that are competitive with the albergues. I imagine that the social aspect of the albergue is both the positive and the negative side. Interesting question.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
low-priced hotels that are competitive with the albergues
Not really. Albergues are 5 to 13 Euro, and the lowest hostal will be about 25E. If you have two people about to pay 12E each, then a room in an hostal will be about the same as two beds in an albergue. If you are at a 6E albergue, then the hostal is a lot more. For one person the hostal always will be more expensive.

Not really. Albergues are 5 to 13 Euro, and the lowest hostal will be about 25E. If you have two people about to pay 12E each, then a room in an hostal will be about the same as two beds in an albergue. If you are at a 6E albergue, then the hostal is a lot more. For one person the hostal always will be more expensive.
Thank you. Sounds like I should just mostly go to albergues, with the occasional hotel or pensione if I need it.

Hi Suzanne my wife and I use a mix of Hostel Hotel and Albergues and my observation would be this
Albergues are cheapest by far for the single walker
A double in a hostel /cheap hotel is much less clear and in some cases actually cheaper than the albergue
As a rule you will meet more people in an albergue
I hope my imput is of some help

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Falcon 269 has just about said it all. My 'guestimates' would be:
Municipal Albergue [bunk beds etc] 5-8Eu a night without meals. Even if "donativo" I think one should try to pay at least 5Eu.
Private Albergue [bunk beds]: 8Eu to 15Eu
Hostal [NOTE = NOT a "hotel"] 18Eu to 25Eu
Hotel: 20Eu to 80Eu

Prices are per person and based on my last three years of caminos :) .... and I've always travelled by myself.

I agree with Stephen and Falcon. Albergues have dorm facilities with bunk beds and shared toilet/shower rooms. No linens/towels are provided. In albergues with a kitchen you can cook. In hostals ( not hotels) you usually get a regular bed with linens/towels and perhaps a private bath. Hotels, of course, offer regular beds, linens/towels and generally private baths.

MM

Hi Suzanne my wife and I use a mix of Hostel Hotel and Albergues and my observation would be this
Albergues are cheapest by far for the single walker
A double in a hostel /cheap hotel is much less clear and in some cases actually cheaper than the albergue
As a rule you will meet more people in an albergue
I hope my imput is of some help
Very helpful, thank you!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Falcon 269 has just about said it all. My 'guestimates' would be:
Municipal Albergue [bunk beds etc] 5-8Eu a night without meals. Even if "donativo" I think one should try to pay at least 5Eu.
Private Albergue [bunk beds]: 8Eu to 15Eu
Hostal [NOTE = NOT a "hotel"] 18Eu to 25Eu
Hotel: 20Eu to 80Eu

Prices are per person and based on my last three years of caminos :) .... and I've always travelled by myself.
Thanks, Stephen. This is a very clear and valuable current breakdown of prices. Thanks for taking time to respond.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.