• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Priest pilgrim wanting to say Mass in the Cathedral

Maryimelda

A friend of mine will be walking the CF very soon from SJPdP to Santiago. He is a Catholic priest and would like to preside at or concelebrate a Mass in the Cathedral when he gets there. An English language Mass would be ideal. Does anybody know what the procedure is to do this please? He will be carrying a letter of introduction from his Archbishop back home.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Reservar la celebración de una misa para un grupo en la Catedral

Los grupos que vengan a Santiago con un sacerdote pueden reservar una Capilla de la Catedral para celebrar una misa privada. Para ello, contacte con la Oficina del Peregrino: liturgia@catedraldesantiago.es

A friend of mine will be walking the CF very soon from SJPdP to Santiago. He is a Catholic priest and would like to preside at or concelebrate a Mass in the Cathedral when he gets there. An English language Mass would be ideal. Does anybody know what the procedure is to do this please? He will be carrying a letter of introduction from his Archbishop back home.

For future reference:

Priests who wish to concelebrate a mass at the High Altar - for example the 12 noon Pilgrims' Mass simply present themselves at the sacristy 15 minutes before the mass. The nuns will ask to see his Celebret. The Mass in English is held daily at 10.30 from May - October and visiting priests are most welcome.. If a priest wishes to concelebrate he should speak to the Chaplain Fr Joe before the mass. There is no need to bring vestments as the Cathedral has ample supplies.

As Falcon has quoted if there are groups of pilgrims accompanied by a priest and they wish to have a Mass for their group they can reserve a private chapel in person in the Sacristy or in advance by emailing the Pilgrims' Office.

Yes I have concelebrated at Santiago many times, up to and including last May. The sacristy personnel in the Cathedral always very welcoming. Although I carry a celebret, I have never in fact been asked to produce it. There is a notice in the sacristy saying that priests 'in good standing' are welcome to concelebrate. I guess there is a lot of trust. Deacons also welcome to vest and participate. Both the midday Mass and the evening Mass welcome visitors. Often very few visiting priests at the evening Mass, while there can be ten or a dozen at the midday Mass. You mention Mass in English and Johnnie Walker has given you the details. At the midday Mass they usually look for an anglophone, a francophone etc to read different parts of the canon in their respective languages.
@Maryimelda You might like to suggest to your friend that he seeks out the evening Mass in places where he stops along the way. Unfailingly I found I was welcomed to concelebrate the Mass, usually around 7pm. The daily Mass in the village, doing duty as a pilgrim Mass as well. It is a nice way to meet people! About 3 days out of 4 along the Frances.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It is so Heartening to know there are Priests amongst the Pilgrims.
It is a Great Comfort to know in case something terrible should happen there is someone somewhere to turn.
Thank you to these who travel!

Most read last week in this forum

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/tourists-spanish-city-face-backlash-2952834?ito=copy-link_share_article-top the last few seasons I've been walking the VdlP and if this report is only half true...
Hello, I walked the Camino Frances in September/October 2023 and have an opportunity (i.e. time) to do another one this May/June - although I only have ~4 weeks available. I'm thinking Norte...
Hi everyone, Pilgrim House Welcome Center opened on March 4 for the 2024 season. As always, the team would love to meet you (or see you again!) after your Camino. The Camino can be an emotional...
Hi, I am planning to finish my Camino July 20, but I was wondering if it is worth it to instead try to finish to see the holy day on July 25. Is it going to be super crowded on the 25th? I do...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.