• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Priest walking Camino in May--couple Q's

el padre

Time of past OR future Camino
May 17, 2015
I am leaving from Ponferrada around May 20th by myself and then meeting up about 25 others on the 26th. I have a couple simple questions:

1) are there any other priests on the forum that could help me out?

2) do I need an alb? Obviously trying to pack as little as possible.

3) what is the ease of getting into churches and being able to offer Mass?

4) should I pack a small chalice and bring hosts as well?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hopefully, you will get some replies from fellow priests. There are several on the forum.
Most report being able to celebrate Mass along the way.

I hope all 25 of your group don't plan on showing up at albergues at the same times.

I don't have any advice for you. I didn't meet any pilgrim priests on the Camino. (Sadly.)

However, I did hear of a Korean priest who insisted on saying Mass everyday, going so far as to bully someone to unlock a church just for him. I would advise against such tactics.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am leaving from Ponferrada around May 20th by myself and then meeting up about 25 others on the 26th. I have a couple simple questions:

Hi El Padre,

I had the privilege of walking with 3 American Catholic priests from Astorga all the way to Santiago. They sort of collectively decided that I was a good man, I suppose. So off we went.

Apart from a prayer book which they used for morning and evening prayers, they did not bring any thing else that I noticed. They held a Mass in Rabanal and concelebrated the midday Pilgrims mass in Santiago cathedral. Their vestments were provided for as far as I know.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi

Best wishes for you your Camino. When you arrive in Santiago you are very welcome to concelebrate in the cathedral and at the twice daily Mass celebrated in English. You don't need to bring anything just report to the sacristy 15 minutes before the mass starts starts.

On the route if you find a church with mass they will welcome you and provide vestments. Carrying a current Celebret would be helpful in case they ask. Not every village has an open church nor a daily Mass - many priests in rural Spain have multiple parishes.

If you wish to say mass for the group and there is no open church the hospitalero in the Albergue may be able to help. Otherwise it is mass al fresco and of course in these cases you will need your own Mass kit.

Buen Camino

John

Here is a schedule of masses along the Camino.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zcf5zDxSIzv4.kExF_twLHLRg&msa=0

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
No cheating Padre---the rest of us don't have such a direct line to divine intervention!

Hello... I'm a priest (Irish)... I've only walked St. Jean-Logrono so far but as reported not every church in smaller places were open or staffed- so a prior arrangement would be necessary. I've tried the various diocesan websites- but contact details were patchy. Priests vary- but I'm quite happy to attend Mass and would never insist. I actually quite enjoy being ministered to by the local community when I attend their Church. Although I have to say with our group- the evening gathering gave people a chance to voice their experiences of the day. A Celibret is a must as stated- the plastic ID type is technically insufficient. You need a letter of accreditation from your Bishop or Superior.
I carry a miniature kit as in picture below.. It does weight 1kg admittedly.. I got it for €100 euro some years back... has lasted the pace. Mass set in mini suede case. This case comes with:
- small chalice in 2 pieces, the pedestal is an host box;
- host box;
- small paten;
- stole;
- small crucifix;
- linens;
Alb as you know is not totally necessary- stole is. I've seen some with a kind of halter Stole hanging centre of the body front and rear. I use the Universalis App for both Liturgy of the Hours and Mass so quite handy. Little snipe bottles of wine plentiful en route.

Attachments

• mass kit.jpg
    mass kit.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 21
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

1) Just an Anglican priests wife ;-)

2) Not really, you can pack a light weight travel alb and stole if you insist, but if you don't care if the alb fits perfectly, you will be provided by local parishes with what vestments are available ...

3) Very easy, just carry and show your celebrat card. If you are longer on the way, and if you are taking things very seriously, you might also want to carry a, translated, letter of recommendation of your diocesan bishop, but a valid celebrat normally is enough.

4) No, every Church or chapel on the Camino that offers Mass even only occasionally, has those.

Buen Camino and may I recommend also misas.org for finding churches on the Camino and bilingual missals to make your life easier? SY

Greetings, I’m a priest leaving to walk the Camino Frances in 10 days and stumbled on this thread looking for answers to the questions El Padre asked nine years ago. Thanks to all who responded.

I’m interested in a post-pandemic update. Things like: Are celebret cards still generally sufficient to concelebrate pilgrim Masses? Are albs most often available? Are small missalettes like Magnificat—in English or Spanish—available to purchase along the way? I’m finalizing my packing list and don’t want to carry things I won’t really need.

I suspect you ought to carry your celebret. I just looked it up, by the way, although I had guessed. (For others not in the know: a letter from the diocesan authority to give proof to a claim to being a priest).
Carry an alb? An alb doesn't a priest make! If you want a Magnificat booklet, get one before you set out. They are small and pliable to stuff into your backpack. Or download a mass booklet on your phone. Buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.