• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primary arrival Airport , for onward travel to Bilbao

walkmag

Time of past OR future Camino
leon to Santiago (2006),
SJDP to Santiago (2009)
Porto to Santiago (2010)
Minturno to Rome (2012)
Siena to Rome (2012),
Fidenza to Siena (2013)
Lausanne to Fidenza (2014)
Bilbao to Ribadeo Sept (2015)
CMD Maybe (Sept 2016)
Hi I would be flying in from Austrlia ...which city would be best to land in .., and then travel on to Bilbao ?

cheers walkmag

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Singapore Airlines flies Sydney to Barcelona, sometimes stopping briefly at Milan. I took this route this year. Not sure about Melbourne

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Emirates (so also Qantas) flies Sydney to Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, Lyon or Nice, all via Dubai. And you can leave from a different airport - for example we've arrived in Paris, left from Madrid.

Air Swiss connects nicely via Hong Kong to various carriers from Australia and flies to Bilbao.

Hi I would be flying in from Austrlia ...which city would be best to land in .., and then travel on to Bilbao ?
cheers walkmag
Etihad Fly in Paris out of Madrid at similar cost to in out of Paris or Madrid.
You can get Easyjet out of CDG (Paris) to San Sebastian. Or you can fly into Barcelona (Singapore Air, Emirates/Qantas) then Vueling to Bilbao and back from SDC to Barca.
Buen Camino
Colin

Hi, walkmag,
I came from a different continent, but after a lot of searching, I found that the best option for me was Chicago-Madrid-Bilbao and Santiago-Madrid-Chicago. Adding the internal flights from Madrid to Bilbao and Santiago to Madrid rarely add more than $100 to my round trip air fare, and that is a lot less expensive and the cost of adding on a flight on another airlines, a train or bus. (You can find these fares by doing a "multi city" search on whatever website you use).

Last summer when I walked the Olvidado, I was in Bilbao by noon, having arrived in Madrid early in the morning on an overnight flight. I took the airport bus into town and had the whole day to walk around and do the pre-camino chores like buying phone, sending some stuff to Santiago, etc. Got my first stamp at the cathedral and then off bright and early the next morning. Bilbao is well worth a day or two, but I had been there on several occasions so I settled for a walk out to the Guggenheim and some time in the nice inner neighborhoods. Buen camino, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Laurie
good info I will either fly into Paris or Madrid do an internal flight to Bilbao and then fly out different city still lots of time to plan and browse the net which is always an enjoyable pastime.

which telecom did you use ? In Italy I have used TIm . But haven't been to spain since 2010.

Maggie

Hi, Maggie,
I always use movistar. I've always had very good luck with them. I bought a phone in 2004 and just keep buying a new prepaid card for the same old phone when I arrive each summer. The rates dropped very significantly over the last few years so it's not the huge ripoff it used to be.

The other major company is vodafone, but I got the movistar recommendation and never changed. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Maggie,
I always use movistar. I've always had very good luck with them. I bought a phone in 2004 and just keep buying a new prepaid card for the same old phone when I arrive each summer. The rates dropped very significantly over the last few years so it's not the huge ripoff it used to be.

The other major company is vodafone, but I got the movistar recommendation and never changed. Buen camino, Laurie
Sounds like a plan I have seen other recommendations for moviestar also

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back