Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primitio or Norther Camino advice

Conor2015

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Hi,

I booked a flight today to Santander for April 2oth. I will take a bus from there to either Villaviacosa or Oviedo. I walked the Northern Camino last year over two stretches as far as Villaviacosa but decided to walk onto Oviedo after some deliberation. I was hoping some Pilgrims I walked Camino Frances with in previous years or even friends back home might join me in 2016. Unfortunately that doesn't appear to be the case.

Would anyone like to offer me advice as to whether I should proceed and now complete the Norther route in its entirety or cover the Primitivo instead? I appreciate each person will have their own opinion. There might be some nugget of information that will help me opt for one over the other.

I do like passing through towns or cities that have some sense of history to them. So far my impression of the Norther Camino is that it is less spiritual that the French Camino but it has other charms. Maybe there are more churches (open) over the last 33okm of the Northern Camino and less asphalt than previous stages.

I am factoring in that I will need around 12 days walking to cover either route, whichever I decide on. I will have some time to rest in between and at the end for chill out time. I delayed my outward leg by 1 week to allow more time for Spring to set in if I opt for the Primitivo, which is more mountaineous. It is wonderful to experience Spring in Spain as the trees becomes more green and the birds sing to their hearts content.

Best wishes
Conor

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Either route is fine-- the del Norte passes through small fishing ports and resort centres; the Primitivo is more strenuous and heads up through mountain villages. I have done both and churches were always open BUT not casually open- there was quite a period when country churches were 'visited' by collectors and the habit has grown up of locking the doors between services, with the exceptions of churches in larger towns. However, there is usually a placard with a telephone number or an indication of where you might get the key. Both routes have wonderful mediaeval and romanesque churches in use. If you try the del Norte, the cathedral in Mondenedo has an excellent museum attached. While there is some asphalt walking (there are other threads which debate this at length), it was not my impression that it was more so than the Francese. Neither route is automatically more spiritual than any other but the Primitivo would be an interesting experience.

Hi Conor, I got to Ribadeo (fabulous public albergue with a roof deck and water view) and pick up in Lugo in two weeks. A trail cannot be spiritual, imho, the spirituality is with us. They say that to visit Santiago without visiting Oviedo is honoring the servant and not the Master, as even the Pope prayed at the Holy Relics in Oviedo cathedral. My 10 year old and I took the bus down to Oviedo and back up to the Norte. Note that in April many public albergue are still closed up north. Buen camino whichever you choose, we will be in SdC April 24 and 25. Lisa and TJ @Conor2015 View media item 4530

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi,

I booked a flight today to Santander for April 2oth. I will take a bus from there to either Villaviacosa or Oviedo. I walked the Northern Camino last year over two stretches as far as Villaviacosa but decided to walk onto Oviedo after some deliberation. I was hoping some Pilgrims I walked Camino Frances with in previous years or even friends back home might join me in 2016. Unfortunately that doesn't appear to be the case.

Would anyone like to offer me advice as to whether I should proceed and now complete the Norther route in its entirety or cover the Primitivo instead? I appreciate each person will have their own opinion. There might be some nugget of information that will help me opt for one over the other.

I do like passing through towns or cities that have some sense of history to them. So far my impression of the Norther Camino is that it is less spiritual that the French Camino but it has other charms. Maybe there are more churches (open) over the last 33okm of the Northern Camino and less asphalt than previous stages.

I am factoring in that I will need around 12 days walking to cover either route, whichever I decide on. I will have some time to rest in between and at the end for chill out time. I delayed my outward leg by 1 week to allow more time for Spring to set in if I opt for the Primitivo, which is more mountaineous. It is wonderful to experience Spring in Spain as the trees becomes more green and the birds sing to their hearts content.

Best wishes
Conor
I left the Norte in Oviedo for the Primitivo and was glad I did. Got tired of coastal tourist towns.

From Villaviciosa to Gijon, about half to 3/4 of the distance is through beautiful pastoral land and Forest with a mixture paved, gravel, and trail type surfaces. The rest of it is through suburbs and into a large city. From Gijon to Aviles about 1/4 to 1/2 is through farmland but the rest is very industrial.

For me, this was a very important part of my overalll journey and one I would not have changed for anything. But if you are starting in Villaviciosa, you might be dismayed by your first few days.

There were definitely some spectacular beaches and coastal section after that point, with a mixture of paved and unpaved surfaces. I remember more paved than not.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back