Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primitivo 2019

EL LECHERO

Friends no Strangers
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2016 PRIMITIVO 2022 LE PUY 2023
Hello, I have approxitmatly 10 day of walking. Either from SJPP to Granon or the Primitivo in Mid September. What are anyone's thoughts and advice? I've walked from Astorgo to Santiago a couple years ago. Also how does one get to the start of the Primitivo and get back to Madrid?
Thanks in advance
Rich

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
www.rome2rio.com will tell you how to get from anywhere to anywhere.

Have you had a look at gronze.com for information about the routes?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello, I have approxitmatly 10 day of walking. Either from SJPP to Granon or the Primitivo in Mid September. What are anyone's thoughts and advice? I've walked from Astorgo to Santiago a couple years ago. Also how does one get to the start of the Primitivo and get back to Madrid?
Thanks in advance
Rich
The easiest way to get to the start of the Primitivo, Oviedo, is by train from Madrid Atocha station. I think it runs daily. The best way to get back to Madrid from SdC is also by train, quite hassle free.
I also think that if you only have 10 days the Primitivo might be too much, just my opinion.

I completed the Primitivo last month in eleven days, but one of them was so short a journey that it was the nearest thing to a rest day. I'm middle-aged, and I wouldn't call myself exceptionally physically fit. I would say it's quite manageable in ten days for an experienced hiker.

I flew to Madrid; took the train to Oviedo (four hours); and started from there. One can also fly directly to Asturias airport, which is about 25 km from Oviedo.

For the return trip, Iberia Express have several flights a day from Santiago to Madrid. If you book in advance, they can be very cheap indeed.

I'm starting in mid-september too, but from León on the Salvador to Oviedo, then on to the Primitive to Sandiago. I've checked a lot out, and the going on the Primitive can be strenuous as it is ups-and-downs most of the way, although if you've experience on other routes you should be okay. I am trainning hard for this. Also, you can get a bus from Madrid terminal 4 at the airport, to Oviedo, if you favour that option? Check it out.
https://www.alsa.com/en/web/bus/our-destinations/airports/madrid-barajas-airport
Buen Camino. Keith

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The easiest way to get to the start of the Primitivo, Oviedo, is by train from Madrid Atocha station. I think it runs daily.
I also think that if you only have 10 days the Primitivo might be too much, just my opinion.

The better option for Oviedo is to depart from Madrid's Chamartín station (not Atocha). Chamartin is a bit north of the centre but easily reachable by metro. There are more trains from there to Oviedo (about six per day) and they can be cheaper.

Typically the Primitivo is divided into 12 stages but you could do it in 10 if you're willing to walk an average of ~30km per day rather than ~25km (bearing in mind that there aren't as many albergues as on the Francés). If finishing in Santiago is not important to the OP, another option to walk at a more leisurely pace would be to start the Primitivo in Oviedo and finish in Lugo (typically eight stages). I think this gets you the best of the Primitivo; personally I didn't find the last 100km from Lugo to be that interesting compared with what came before it.

I completed the Primitivo last month in eleven days, but one of them was so short a journey that it was the nearest thing to a rest day. I'm middle-aged, and I wouldn't call myself exceptionally physically fit. I would say it's quite manageable in ten days for an experienced hiker.

I flew to Madrid; took the train to Oviedo (four hours); and started from there. One can also fly directly to Asturias airport, which is about 25 km from Oviedo.

For the return trip, Iberia Express have several flights a day from Santiago to Madrid. If you book in advance, they can be very cheap indeed.

Some people on this thread had suggesting just hiking to Lugo. What is your advice and experience on time etc. I think September would be a good time to go. Any pearls of wisdom as I am hiking alone. ie food, water etc. How many pilgrims are walking etc. I like the solitude but do want to meet people along the way

Some people on this thread had suggesting just hiking to Lugo. What is your advice and experience on time etc. I think September would be a good time to go. Any pearls of wisdom as I am hiking alone. ie food, water etc. How many pilgrims are walking etc. I like the solitude but do want to meet people along the way
The time it takes you depends on how far you can or want to walk each day. Make sure you take plenty of water and carry some food. There are days when fountains are very far apart and the only bar might be closed. Look at the guides and plan well. It’s a beautiful hike and not one that I would have wanted to rush through.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
What is your advice and experience on time etc.

I posted daily reports on this forum under the title "Live from the Primitivo." If you check it out, it'll give you an idea of what I encountered during the month of May. I imagine that weather-wise and traffic-wise, September is unlikely to be much different.

I'm starting in mid-september too, but from León on the Salvador to Oviedo, then on to the Primitive to Sandiago. I've checked a lot out, and the going on the Primitive can be strenuous as it is ups-and-downs most of the way, although if you've experience on other routes you should be okay. I am trainning hard for this. Also, you can get a bus from Madrid terminal 4 at the airport, to Oviedo, if you favour that option? Check it out.
https://www.alsa.com/en/web/bus/our-destinations/airports/madrid-barajas-airport
Buen Camino. Keith
I would walk to Lugo and go west for two days on the lovely Camino verde.

Hi Aurigny, do you mind to share the breakdown of your stages for 11 days please.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dear Ern:-

1. Oviedo-Grado
2. Grado-Salas
3. Salas-Campiello
4. Campiello-Berducedo (via Hospitales)
5. Berducedo-Grandas de Salime
6. Grandas-A Fonsagrada
7. A Fonsagrada-Cadavo
8. Cadavo- Lugo
9. Lugo-Ponte Ferreira
10. Ferreira-Arzúa
11. Arzúa-SdC

Length-wise, these are all in the 30-km ballpark, mas o meno, with the exception of legs 5 (20 km) and 11 (39 km). That's a fairly comfortable daily average for me. I didn't really feel the need for a rest day en route, which is as well inasmuch as my schedule didn't permit me to take one.

Last edited:
Thank you very much, Aurigny. Will study into that. it's either I cramp all within 11 days, or I start slightly after Oviedo.

Am walking in early Aug, all booked and set. My 3rd camino.....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The better option for Oviedo is to depart from Madrid's Chamartín station (not Atocha). Chamartin is a bit north of the centre but easily reachable by metro. There are more trains from there to Oviedo (about six per day) and they can be cheaper.

Typically the Primitivo is divided into 12 stages but you could do it in 10 if you're willing to walk an average of ~30km per day rather than ~25km (bearing in mind that there aren't as many albergues as on the Francés). If finishing in Santiago is not important to the OP, another option to walk at a more leisurely pace would be to start the Primitivo in Oviedo and finish in Lugo (typically eight stages). I think this gets you the best of the Primitivo; personally I didn't find the last 100km from Lugo to be that interesting compared with what came before it.

I agree. I plan on OVIEDO -LUGO. I have a total of 15 days for travel and walking. I would also like a day to stay in LUGO and see the sights. Sounds like that should be enough. Gracias a todos!

Hi, sorry to leverage on this forum to ask about transport issue as I didn’t manage to find any specific info. Hope anymore can advise.

I will be flying in from Madrid to Asturias, arriving the airport around 5pm. I will be staying some where near the Railway station so that I can start walking early to following day.

May I know what’s the best way to get from the airport to railway station? By bus?

Also, how much will a taxi cost from airport to the train station.
I will be landing after about 20 hours of flying and would like to get to the hotel early as it will be late by then. Would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Ern

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello: I found your blog very informative. Thank you. I too suffer with Plantars and I hope to make the best of it but I figured that I could switch over to a bike if needed. Do you know if this is an option readily available on the portion from Oviedo to Lugo? Also, we are flying into Madrid and plan on staying in the center of town for a day or two and will be taking the train to Oviedo. Is the Charmartin Or Atcoha station better do you think to get the train from once we are downtown? Thank you.

Trains to Oviedo go from Chamartin.

I'm not aware of a bike hire service Oviedo to Lugo but its always possible that there is a company out there. Its unlikely you'll be able to hop a bike at short notice. You would find yourself cycling the AS-15 most of the time. The Primitivo trails aren't bike friendly. Many bits are rocky, steep and narrow. You could check out possible bike routes on Google maps. Happy planning :)

Also, we are flying into Madrid and plan on staying in the center of town for a day or two and will be taking the train to Oviedo. Is the Charmartin Or Atcoha station better do you think to get the train from once we are downtown? Thank you.

Atocha is more central but there are more trains to Oviedo from Charmartin. You can check schedules and buy tickets at Renfe (links to the English version).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Trying to figure out my Primitivo 2019, I find that Gronze has it at 305.8 km and Eroski at 321.4 km. That's a big difference. Does anyone know of a trustworthy alternative to these two?

Trying to figure out my Primitivo 2019, I find that Gronze has it at 305.8 km and Eroski at 321.4 km. That's a big difference. Does anyone know of a trustworthy alternative to these two?
I have it as 306.8 from Oviedo. Keep in mind that the more 'alternate' routes a camino has the less likely that two different guides are going to give the same distance. There needs to be one 'primary' route to measure against and we all choose differently. There isn't always an official route, even the Francés is a bit of choose your own adventure.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.