Primitivo accommodation in Cornellana

IrelandSean

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2014- 2017)
Primitivo June 2018
Muxia-Fisterra 2019
Ingles 2019
Invierno Sept 2020?
Looking at options for our camino next May/June. Current plan is to do a 'full day', Oviedo to Cornellana, on Day 1. Not always a good idea but time available dictates this somewhat. Estimated at 35km, with Grado to El Fresno the only notable climb.
Finding it hard to source accommodation in Cornellana. Any suggestions in that town or nearby would be appreciated.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Is the albergue in Cornellana not open?

Otherwise, two other places in town: https://www.gronze.com/etapa/grado/salas

But may I say... if you are going to rush, why not just walk what you can and come back and finish at a later time? The Primitivo is beautiful until Lugo, Imwould take my time and enjoy it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have walked from Oviedo to Cornellana, and it was a very enjoyable day for me. On other occasions I have stopped at San Juan and once in Grado, but that just depended on how things were going. The good thing about this stage is that there are many ways to shorten it if you feel like stopping before Cornellana. Between Grado and Cornellana there are three other options, though two are a bit off camino. I stayed in the albergue in Cornellana before it was renovated and it wasn't such a gem, but I have heard that it is really nice now. And as Anemone pointed out, there are two private options as well.

In all fairness Laurie, you are an exceptional long distance walker, and I am a terribl one who likes 23 km a day. But when flying across the pond and dealing with jetlag, getting to Esclampero was already a bit of a stretch, never mind Grado or Cornellana.

I have walked from Oviedo to Cornellana, and it was a very enjoyable day for me. On other occasions I have stopped at San Juan and once in Grado, but that just depended on how things were going. The good thing about this stage is that there are many ways to shorten it if you feel like stopping before Cornellana. Between Grado and Cornellana there are three other options, though two are a bit off camino. I stayed in the albergue in Cornellana before it was renovated and it wasn't such a gem, but I have heard that it is really nice now. And as Anemone pointed out, there are two private options as well.

Thanks for the replies folks. With a long day planned we (two of us) were looking to have somewhere pre-booked. My understanding at this stage is that the two hotels (Cornellana & La Fuente) are closed, and I tried the Casa Rural and got a reply saying it had not space (suspect an overnight booking wasn't attractive!). So that only leaves the albergue at Monasterio de San Salvador. Based on your comments it has improved.
Anybody experienced Albergue Ca Pacita in the village of Santa Eulalia de Doriga, about 3km before Cornellana?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ca Pacita was closed for their weakly rest day when I walked by, but I don’t remember which day of the week that falls on. Better check with them which day they close.

I think your information that both hotels in Cornellana were closed may be wrong. I see that La Fuente has closed, but the other seems open. There are reviews from the last couple of months and the website is up and running. http://www.hotelencornellana.com/v_portal/apartados/apartado.asp

Thanks again for the feedback. I tried, on a number of occasions, to get in touch with Hotel Cornellana through their website enquiry form. No reply! I tried 3 different phone numbers, from the Spanish Tourist site, Hondo and the hotel website. One didn't answer, and one directed me to website number. The website number was eventually answered by a lady who didnt speak any English. With my little Spanish I got the impression she wasn't interest in business but that might be due to fact that our booking was for May 2018. They don't have an email address or the web form.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks again for the feedback. I tried, on a number of occasions, to get in touch with Hotel Cornellana through their website enquiry form. No reply! I tried 3 different phone numbers, from the Spanish Tourist site, Hondo and the hotel website. One didn't answer, and one directed me to website number. The website number was eventually answered by a lady who didnt speak any English. With my little Spanish I got the impression she wasn't interest in business but that might be due to fact that our booking was for May 2018. They don't have an email address or the web form.

Spanish hotels seem to find the idea of forward reservations puzzling. You will likely do well with an enquiry in April 2018.

Just spoke with the owner of the Hotel Cornellana. She closed it at the end of September. Permanently. No one seems eager to buy it or take it over, so that leaves Cornellana with no private option.

Just spoke with the owner of the Hotel Cornellana. She closed it at the end of September. Permanently. No one seems eager to buy it or take it over, so that leaves Cornellana with no private option.

Confirms my earlier suspicion. I appreciate the assistance clarifying this. Thanks Laurie.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back