Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primitivo Accommodations - COVID Updates

Dave

Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 2002; most recent: Norte/Primitivo 2019
Hi all,

As with the Norte, I've been working on a quick snapshot of the state of accommodations on the Primitivo. This is built out of a simple survey sent to accommodations on these routes, asking four questions: a) are they open or do they plan to open soon, b) are they operating at reduced capacity, c) have their prices increased (as a consequence, likely, of reduced capacity and closures), and d) any other advice they'd like to offer 2021 pilgrims.

You can find the (in process) results for the Camino Primitivo here. Plenty of responses still to come; they'll be entered as they arrive.

My impression is that albergue prices have increased a bit more on the Primitivo than on the Norte. (One donativo albergue explicitly advised pilgrims to be leery of higher prices.) In most cases, albergues have self-reported what their new costs are and those are included in the sheet.

As with the Norte, there have been very few permanent closures reported so far (Albergue Buen Camino in La Espina stands out as the clearest COVID-related closure), but I anticipate there's a self-selection bias at work there.

I've got a sheet in process for the Inglés/Mar as well, but the responses are very slow in coming on that one.

Dave

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is terrific. Thanks @Dave. I won't be walking any time soon as I'm in Australia, but I have friends in Germany who are keen to walk the Primitivo asap. I'll point them to your list.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all,

As with the Norte, I've been working on a quick snapshot of the state of accommodations on the Primitivo. This is built out of a simple survey sent to accommodations on these routes, asking four questions: a) are they open or do they plan to open soon, b) are they operating at reduced capacity, c) have their prices increased (as a consequence, likely, of reduced capacity and closures), and d) any other advice they'd like to offer 2021 pilgrims.

You can find the (in process) results for the Camino Primitivo here. Plenty of responses still to come; they'll be entered as they arrive.

My impression is that albergue prices have increased a bit more on the Primitivo than on the Norte. (One donativo albergue explicitly advised pilgrims to be leery of higher prices.) In most cases, albergues have self-reported what their new costs are and those are included in the sheet.

As with the Norte, there have been very few permanent closures reported so far (Albergue Buen Camino in La Espina stands out as the clearest COVID-related closure), but I anticipate there's a self-selection bias at work there.

I've got a sheet in process for the Inglés/Mar as well, but the responses are very slow in coming on that one.

Dave
Dave,

Looking at Pamplona to San Salvador to either Primitivo or Norte late August and September. Can't thank you enough for your work here. It will serve as a great resource for many.

Peace be with you!

Jim

Thanks Dave. I'm starting the Primitivo tomorrow (just finished the San Salvador) but already planned and reserved which is new for me.rado

@Rebekah Scott told me that she hopes the pilgrim albergue in Grado to open on July 1st.

If I find any changes I'll post here.
Thanks very much! I look forward to hearing how your walk goes.

I've been so focused on work lately that I didn't even notice that you and others had already done similar work on the Primitivo, so I'm afraid we duplicated some efforts. I appreciate you posting your findings as well.

Wow, muchas gracias, Dave for the great info on albergues on the Primitivo. Peregrinos, try to be one of the lucky four at Albergue de Peregrinos in Bodenaya.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
thanks Dave for the hard work!
My wife and I are leaving Oviedo this Sunday for our CP.
We are already a day older and since I didn't want to take a risk regarding sleeping I prepared a lot for the first week

Therefore I can give you the following additions to your list :
° Cornellana : Casa El Medico : are closed (telephone contact)
° Hotel Autobar in Grado and Hotel Cornellana in Cornellana : no response (neither by phone nor by mail) after many attempts (from April to now)...
° Cornellana : Albergue del monasterio de San Salvador = open / I got WhatsApp confirmation of reservation by phone
° Tineo : Pension La Posada > I received WhatsApp confirmation of reservation by phone
° Borres : Albergue La Montera > I received confirmation of reservation by mail
° Penaseita : Casa Viñas > reservation by phone

Wow, muchas gracias, Dave for the great info on albergues on the Primitivo. Peregrinos, try to be one of the lucky four at Albergue de Peregrinos in Bodenaya.
Yes, I will be one of them! I contacted David by email before leaving. I missed staying there in 2019 as the albergue was closed for a family issue.

As of today, the following Xunta albergues have reopened on the Primitivo: Cádavo Baleira, Castroverde, and San Román da Retorta.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dave,

Thanks for what you are doing. I was going to skip the Primitivo this year, but now it is looking much more feasible for September. Still hoping for CF to San Salvador to Primitivo to Finisterre for late August, September and part of October. All signs are looking good! :)

Jim

As of today, the following Xunta albergues have reopened on the Primitivo: Cádavo Baleira, Castroverde, and San Román da Retorta.
One and two days too late for me! I stayed in Pensión Cortez in Castroverde the night before last and passed by San Román this morning. It sure looked abandoned.
There is a new café in San Román which at 19 km from Lugo is a nice rest stop.IMG_20210615_171633.jpg

Glad to hear about the new cafe! It was a real loss when the old bar/grocery in San Roman shut down.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
El Albergue la Ferrería de Amandi at the very start of the Primitivo reopened on June 1. It’s my starting point once I’m able to reschedule from May 2020. I haven’t stayed there yet but I’ve WhatsApp’d with Sergio there a lot for planning purposes and he’s awesome!

Yep, I've got that one in the Norte spreadsheet. Such a great albergue! You'll enjoy your stay.

Dave

Yep, I've got that one in the Norte spreadsheet. Such a great albergue! You'll enjoy your stay.

Dave
Glad to hear, thanks! I see it’s still on the Norte by about 2 km before the Primitivo splits off - thanks for compiling this info for us!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Greetings, I’ll be walking the Primitivo route starting July 31 out of Oviedo. Just wondering how the lodging situation is on that route. I have no reservations booked other than Oviedo. Any advice would be welcomed.
Second Camino for me, Lisboa to Santiago was a nice long pilgrimage!!

Greetings, I’ll be walking the Primitivo route starting July 31 out of Oviedo. Just wondering how the lodging situation is on that route. I have no reservations booked other than Oviedo. Any advice would be welcomed.
Second Camino for me, Lisboa to Santiago was a nice long pilgrimage!!
Hi Malachy,
The title of this thread is Primitivo Accommodations Covid updates which if you go back to the first posting on 6/6/2021 was started by Dave who has compiled a list of said accomodations.
You need to read the postings which follow on and you will find the information you are seeking.
I read through them and found them very informative.I have already walked the Primitivo and loved it.I hope that you do too.
Buen Camino.

Hello -- I'm looking at the website for the albergue de peregrinos in Oviedo, seeing that a reservation is necessary to stay there. Also, a single room appears to be the sole option, no dorm bed. How much does a night cost at this hostel? I'm debating whether to stay there or at another hostel in Oviedo.....Thank you

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello -- I'm looking at the website for the albergue de peregrinos in Oviedo, seeing that a reservation is necessary to stay there. Also, a single room appears to be the sole option, no dorm bed. How much does a night cost at this hostel? I'm debating whether to stay there or at another hostel in Oviedo.....Thank you
You can email then to ask info@caminosantiagoastur.com

Did you find your information? The cost is 7.50€. You can get a private room if there is availability. We emailed them about 2 weeks before arriving and they responded.

Hello, Does anybody know if the Albergue in Escamplero is still open? Cant find any information about it, and im hoping to cut the first stage in two. Thanks in advance:D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just finished the Camino Primitivo today, and had no problems finding a bed in albergues. In Asturias, the albergues municipales are still 5 Euros, in Galicia 8 Euros, with private albergues costing 12-13 Euros in general. Gronze.com has accurate info about albergues in all the locations.

Just finished the Camino Primitivo today, and had no problems finding a bed in albergues. In Asturias, the albergues municipales are still 5 Euros, in Galicia 8 Euros, with private albergues costing 12-13 Euros in general. Gronze.com has accurate info about albergues in all the locations.
Thanks for your comments about the accomadation situation on the Primitivo. I hope you had a good Camino. I am starting from Oviedo on the 8th October.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back