Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

Primitivo - alternate route instead of joining Frances?

Owensr23

Year of past OR future Camino
I found some older information on the forum, but I am looking at September or October this year to walk the Primitivo from Oviedo.

I have previously walked the Frances from Leon and the Portugues from Porto.

I would like to enter Santiago on a new route.

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
2002, Toulouse/Aragon 2005, Cami S Jaume/Aragon 2007/9, Mont Saint Michel/Norte/Vadiniense 2011, Norte/Primitivo 2013, Norte/Primitivo 2014. Norte 2015, Cami S Jaume/Castellano-Aragonese 2016
The Primitivo is a glorious route, but it joins on to the Francese at Melide, about 50 km from Santiago, and the entrance to the city will be the same as the Francese from Leon.

I remember reading of an alternative route leading off from the Primitivo, but I am not certain where it heads into Santiago. Perhaps another forum member has a better memory than I?

Marc S.

Since 2012: CF, CdN, CP, Salvador, Aragones, Via Regia, Elisabethpfad, Jakobsweg NRW, Jakibspaad.
Have a look at the website of the Ponte Ferreira albergue.

They give a brief description of the route from their place, via Sobrados Monxes (on the Norte), and then join the Frances at Santiago airport. (including GPS tracks) - total length 78 km.

I think the same variant is also mentioned in this thread.

The entrance into the city will be the same though. But it will allow you to join the Frances as late as possible (if that is what you're aiming for).

Last edited:

Owensr23

Joining the Frances as late as possible is what I was wanting. I just remember the crazy crowds from 2016, but 2021 is a weird year so maybe the crowd would be more welcome.

peregrina2000

Staff member
There’s also the option of walking from Lugo on the Camiño Verde to Sobrado dos Monxes. Lots of information on this thread.

@notion900 also posted a link on how to contine from there without going on to the Francés till Lavacolla, which probably duplicates some of the information posted earlier on this thread.

On my camino wish list, everyone says the ”green alternative” is very nice.

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

trecile

Camino Addict
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Here are stages you can walk after Sobrado dos Monxes:

Sobrado dos Monxes to As Calles/Orxal 20.96 km
As Calles/Orxal to Lavacolla 21.76 km
Lavacoalla to Santiago 10.31 km

There's no albergue in As Calles/Orxal. I stayed at Twin Pines B&B, where I had a nice room plus dinner.

trecile

Camino Addict
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Here's a map of the alternative route from Sobrado dos Monxes to Lavacolla.

variantes-camino-norte.jpg

And here's information about his route on Gronze.com (use the Chrome browser to translate to English)

Marc S.

Since 2012: CF, CdN, CP, Salvador, Aragones, Via Regia, Elisabethpfad, Jakobsweg NRW, Jakibspaad.

Seems we have the complete picture clear now, because the KML and GPX files for the Sobrado - Lavacolla route can be downloaded from the Ponte Ferreira website I mentioned earlier.

(Maybe it is a good idea to tag this thread with 'variant' as we seem to have all relevant information together ?)

trecile

Camino Addict
Seems we have the complete picture clear now, because the KML and GPX files for the Sobrado - Lavacolla route can be downloaded from the Ponte Ferreira website I mentioned earlier.

(Maybe it is a good idea to tag this thread with 'variant' as we seem to have all relevant information together ?)

I used the Buen Camino app, and the variant track is on its GPS tracks.
It's also on the Wise Pilgrim Camino del Norte app.

Marc S.

I used the Buen Camino app, and the variant track is on its GPS tracks.
It's also on the Wise Pilgrim Camino del Norte app.

Oh I did not know that. So my free publicity for the Ponte Ferreira albergue on this thread was not really needed (I am happy to give it though ...)

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.

trecile

Camino Addict
Oh I did not know that. So my free publicity for the Ponte Ferreira albergue on this thread was not really needed (I am happy to give it though ...)
Not at all, as everyone has their own preferences to which apps (or not) they use. Plus the site you linked to has other info and nice pictures!

Theresa Brandon

Artist, photographer, dreamer
Camino Inglés (2018), Camino Ingles (from La Coruña, 2019), Camino Portugues (2020)
Perhaps find a way to Sigüerio or Formosa and come in on the last section of the Ingles?

Owensr23

View attachment 100910

And here's information about his route on Gronze.com (use the Chrome browser to translate to English)

Thank you for the maps. I still prefer an paper map over a device that can have a dead battery. People on the Appalachian trail try to use phones or GPS, but they are almost useless due to heavy tree cover, terrain, an lack of cell signal. My last hike in the Great Smokies we had no phone signal for 5 days.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?

View attachment 100910

When I did the CF in November/December 2019 I arrived in Arzua I ran into a bunch of pilgrims I hadn't seen in a week or so. We all ended up going to Lavacolla instead of sleeping in O Pedrouzo the next night. It is not a tough walk even though it is long. The albergue in Lavacolla was really nice. We ended up ordering alot of pizzas and had a really nice night as there was not much open in town. The next morning I left about 7AM. Had breakfast in the first bar that was open. It was a few kilometers out of Lavocolla and it was a big bar and looked like it was brand new. Hope it is still open. I got to the Pilgrim office before 10. Walked right in and to my shock I was offered the free Pilgrim lunch at the Parador. The volunteer told me that almost everyone who had come in before passed on the lunch. My second time I enjoyed a great final and free pilgrim meal thanks to the Parador. But it was also the second time that the servers showed less than any interest in us and really didn't seem to want to deal with pilgrims at all. Is it my breath or what?

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated