Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the San Salvador: tips and assistance needed

nickymunch

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances April 2018... planning Via de la Plata, Jan 2020
Hi everyone… come September 2023 I’m planning to walk from SJPdP to León, but then go north on the San Salvador to finally pick up the Primitivo in Oviedo… my question is I’m finding plenty of written help on the latter route but I’m finding mapping/assistance on the Salvador route not so easy to find, any information would be appreciated.
Thanks
Nicky

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I did a similar route in 2019, but instead of the Primitivo I walked up to Avilés and finished on the Norte.

I used the Wise Pilgrim app on the Salvador

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I did a similar route in 2019, but instead of the Primitivo I walked up to Avilés and finished on the Norte.

I used the Wise Pilgrim app on the Salvador
Thanks for the advice

Ender’s guide is outstanding. You’ll be more than warmed up for this route - and it’s amazing! If the workers are still around then, La Robla can be difficult to get a room in (though a new place did open that could help things). Buen Camino!

Ender’s guide is outstanding. You’ll be more than warmed up for this route - and it’s amazing! If the workers are still around then, La Robla can be difficult to get a room in (though a new place did open that could help things). Buen Camino!
Thanks … it looks amazing on some videos I’ve watched on YouTube…. Though some being a few years old showed the need to plan ahead a lot more than the Frances. I’m also guessing it’s not waymarked as well.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi everyone… come September 2023 I’m planning to walk from SJPdP to León, but then go north on the San Salvador to finally pick up the Primitivo in Oviedo… my question is I’m finding plenty of written help on the latter route but I’m finding mapping/assistance on the Salvador route not so easy to find, any information would be appreciated.
Thanks
Nicky
Waaayyyy back in 2016 when we walked the Salvador and Primitivo as a camino combo, Ender's guide (as noted by another responder), was arguably the best guide we have ever used. He set the path, he did the markings, he did the guide. It's probably the only camino we have walked in which we never took a wrong turn, unless it was deliberate to see something or go somewhere else. Enjoy! These two in combo are among the most scenic of all caminos.

I walked it in May 2022 (and will again in May 2023, this time with my wife). Yes, it’s that good.

It was well waymarked. The only wrong turn I took was where the waymark had fallen over and I didn’t see it. The Camino Ninja app (RIP Andy) saved me by getting me back onto the trail. I used that app, along with Ender’s guide, and it was great.

If you’re interested, I posted in the “Live” section of the forum each day while on the San Salvador and Primitivo.

You can use the Buen Camino app or download from Wikiloc site gpx files to use in any GPS navigation app.
Btw, this year I'll also do Camino San Salvador + Primitivo, but I'll start in San Vincente de La Barquera to do the Camino Lebaniego + Vadiniense (across Picos de Europa) and connect to CF at Mansilla de las Mulas and then León to start the San Salvador.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Waaayyyy back in 2016 when we walked the Salvador and Primitivo as a camino combo, Ender's guide (as noted by another responder), was arguably the best guide we have ever used. He set the path, he did the markings, he did the guide. It's probably the only camino we have walked in which we never took a wrong turn, unless it was deliberate to see something or go somewhere else. Enjoy! These two in combo are among the most scenic of all caminos.
yay! I'm doing them in combo in May 2023 (after the Via Plata). I was just relying on the Wise Pilgrim apps and Gronze but now that this guide has been provided I'm looking forward to soaking it up.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is a Wise Pilgrim app too:
Android
iOS
I just downloaded the WisePilgrim Frances/San Salvador/Primitivo bundle, thanks. I'm starting in late May. I'm either walking the Camino Vasco to Santo Domingo dlC and skipping the Frances to Leon, or skipping the Vasco and starting the Frances in Santo Domingo dlC. I still haven't decided on that part, but the Caminos San Salvador and Primitivo are my main aspirations.

Thanks
Nicky
We did this route in July and used the Wise Pilgrim app. It’s a great walk!

Insightful…. And encouraging, thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You can use the Buen Camino app or download from Wikiloc site gpx files to use in any GPS navigation app.
Btw, this year I'll also do Camino San Salvador + Primitivo, but I'll start in San Vincente de La Barquera to do the Camino Lebaniego + Vadiniense (across Picos de Europa) and connect to CF at Mansilla de las Mulas and then León to start the San Salvador.
Enjoy your Camino 💪

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked it in May 2022 (and will again in May 2023, this time with my wife). Yes, it’s that good.

It was well waymarked. The only wrong turn I took was where the waymark had fallen over and I didn’t see it. The Camino Ninja app (RIP Andy) saved me by getting me back onto the trail. I used that app, along with Ender’s guide, and it was great.

If you’re interested, I posted in the “Live” section of the forum each day while on the San Salvador and Primitivo.
Definitely interested…. Thanks

For planning, so far I've been using:
For the San Salvador:
  • Ender's Guide
  • Gronze.com guide
  • Wise Pilgrim app
  • Buen Camino app
  • This forum
  • Camino de San Salvador Facebook group
For the Primitivo:
  • Gronze.com guide
  • Wise Pilgrim app
  • Buen Camino app
  • This Forum
  • Several Camino Primitivo Facebook groups

For planning, so far I've been using:
For the San Salvador:
  • Ender's Guide
  • Gronze.com guide
  • Wise Pilgrim app
  • Buen Camino app
  • This forum
  • Camino de San Salvador Facebook group
For the Primitivo:
  • Gronze.com guide
  • Wise Pilgrim app
  • Buen Camino app
  • This Forum
  • Several Camino Primitivo Facebook groups
Thanks David, I’ve screenshot this for future help

€60,-
Thanks
Nicky
I walked the San Salvador then the Primitivo laid October 2022. Used ENDERS free PDF guide for the San Salvador. It’s all you need but I too had WisePilgrim GPS. The San Salvador is very well marked you can do it without any guide. The Primitivo is SPECTACULAR!

I'm planning to walk the San Salvador and then the Primitivo sometime in September or early October. I found the Pilgrimage Traveler website and their great description of the San Salvador very helpful too. I'm still trying to plan my stages and have used all of the apps mentioned. I am also using Santiago.forwalk.org to identify distances and accommodations along either way. Both have been fun to explore.
Buen Camino all!
Doug

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm planning to walk the San Salvador and then the Primitivo sometime in September or early October. I found the Pilgrimage Traveler website and their great description of the San Salvador very helpful too. I'm still trying to plan my stages and have used all of the apps mentioned. I am also using Santiago.forwalk.org to identify distances and accommodations along either way. Both have been fun to explore.
Buen Camino all!
Doug
Great advice here Doug, thanks… ill definitely investigate the apps mentioned

Buen Camino all!
Doug
The Pilgrimage Traveler website appears to breach European data protection rules in that there is no way of opting out of intrusive cookies. I am inclined to use the “free to view” resources that are readily available without having to surrender my data

€60,-
Enders FREE guide in English is all you need, contains photos of any questionable turns in the route and the San Salvador is perfectly marked you’d need to be blind to take a wrong turn. Enders is a local mountaineer who lives in the area and ensures signage is kept up.
Brilliant response Colette, concise and reassuring, thanks

Enders FREE guide in English is all you need, contains photos of any questionable turns in the route and the San Salvador is perfectly marked you’d need to be blind to take a wrong turn. Enders is a local mountaineer who lives in the area and ensures signage is kept up.
While it is a free guide, if you find value in it, Ender is not averse to donations. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It’s been a while, but I downloaded his guide (as translated by @peregrina2000 ) and I’d gladly make a donation to Ender. Can you tell me how to do that? Muchas gracias!
If memory serves….there’s a link at the very end of the document. It’s a great resource, and he’s a true Camino angel!

It’s been a while, but I downloaded his guide (as translated by @peregrina2000 ) and I’d gladly make a donation to Ender. Can you tell me how to do that? Muchas gracias!

AE4671C2-E11D-41DE-92C8-5E11C9BEE614.png

This is a screenshot of a page from the guide.

It’s true that Ender’s guide is free, but donations are all exclusively headed to the Camino. He spends a lot of his own money on marking, the guides, building bridges over mucky spots, adding steps to steep descents, etc. and it is a labor of love. Several of us have been on him for years to provide a way for pilgrims to donate, and though he has resisted, we have finally convinced him to set something up.

View attachment 141634

This is a screenshot of a page from the guide.

It’s true that Ender’s guide is free, but donations are all exclusively headed to the Camino. He spends a lot of his own money on marking, the guides, building bridges over mucky spots, adding steps to steep descents, etc. and it is a labor of love. Several of us have been on him for years to provide a way for pilgrims to donate, and though he has resisted, we have finally convinced him to set something up.
Fabulous, thanks. I’ve not read it that thoroughly yet. I am so looking forward to this Camino and I wouldn’t be walking it if not for his guide — and your translations (my Spanish is toddler-level). Muchas gracias.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back