Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primitivo - daily masses

Pawel P.

Time of past OR future Camino
none
Hi,
I wonder whether there is possibility to attend daily masses alond the way to Santiago. I would appreciate any suggestions how to plan daily routes to make it happen.

Buen Camino,
Pawel

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If this is your sole objective then the Primitivo is probably not for you - accommodation is scarce and priests even scarcer - I found mass in Pola de Allande but not in Grado, for example

It was a few years ago when I did the Primitivo but I found this difficult. I was only able to find services in Grandas de Salime and Fonsagrada (where the priest was in his 80s, and now had six churches to care for). Oviedo and Lugo are cathedral cities with many churches but aside from that, you'll have challenges.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi,
I wonder whether there is possibility to attend daily masses alond the way to Santiago. I would appreciate any suggestions how to plan daily routes to make it happen.

Buen Camino,
Pawel
Hi Pawel,
Welcome to the forum.
I agree with the two posters above.
I am a Catholic priest, and would usually seek out an evening Mass when there is one as I walk along. I would say on Camino Frances this is feasible at a rough estimate 3 days out of 4, obviously depending a bit on the size of the place where you end up. Quite a lot of places put on a Mass aimed at 'catching' the pilgrim audience (I mean that in the best way) at 7:30 or 8pm and the welcome is heartwarming.
I remember it was not nearly that easy on the Primitivo, nor Norte, outside the cities.

We are walking the Frances right now and have been very disappointed in how very few Masses we have found in the places we are staying in. When we ask, we are looked at ludicrously almost. Looking forward to arriving in Burgos tomorrow!
We did have a wonderful experience in Santo Domingo de la Calzada as it is the 1000 anniversary of the local saint’s birth year.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.