Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primitivo Difficulty

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Welcome to the forum Dannyboy!

Well, I have walked the Primitivo twice now. I really don't think it is much harder than the Camino Frances. The difference is that the Primitivo is hilly almost all the way, but is a lot shorter than the Frances, which has more flat bits. To me the Le Puy route and the Camino San Salvador were a little harder.

Both times I met children and older pilgrims walking the Primitivo without difficulty. Age range I saw was 6 years old to in the 80's.

With a bit of pre-training walking, most people do Ok. It is a really stunningly beautiful route. You will love it! I think it is my favorite in Spain so far.

Go for it
Buen Camino!
Davy

Most of the path still skirts around the contours of the mountains. Despite that there are still some ups and downs. I would say for 70 percent of the route, it is borderline between beginner and intermediate...

I walked it in June at 72 years,and having walked several Caminos I think it is a tough fortnight, but doable certainly - be sure to check for weather updates, daily as you are in the Asturias region.
And, in the mountains in particular, some of the paths can become very slippery, especially going downwards. Buen Camino .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have walked it twice - last year and again this year in May - and I am 74. It is definitely harder than the CF but I credibly rewarding and quite manageabl. After Lugo it is a breeze. I can't wait to walk it again

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Welcome to the forum Dannyboy!

Well, I have walked the Primitivo twice now. I really don't think it is much harder than the Camino Frances. The difference is that the Primitivo is hilly almost all the way, but is a lot shorter than the Frances, which has more flat bits. To me the Le Puy route and the Camino San Salvador were a little harder.

Both times I met children and older pilgrims walking the Primitivo without difficulty. Age range I saw was 6 years old to in the 80's.

With a bit of pre-training walking, most people do Ok. It is a really stunningly beautiful route. You will love it! I think it is my favorite in Spain so far.

Go for it
Buen Camino!
Davy
Thanks Davey, you've at least given me the trigger to go for it, hopefully next year, if I can slide out of Madrid when it's hot in the summer.

I am 67 and just return home from 12 days on the Primitivo from Oviedo to Santiago. I found it hard and vowed that I would never again walk this path. Now that I am home and reflecting back I can't wait to walk it again. Know that when joining the Camino Frances at Melide the volume of pilgrims can be shocking after the Primitivo!
The weather forecasting was never correct. Fog, heavy mist and drizzle to bright blue skies!

I think hard or difficult are relative to the mind set and ones individual experience.

My wife and I walked it in September of 2018. We had allotted 14 days to walk it based on what we had read about the difficulty level. We actually ended up needing only 12 days as it was easier than expected. We are both in our late 50's.
Definitely harder than most days of the Francis, but it is only 12 to 14 days versus 33 of the Francis so less wear and tear on your body.
Very scenic and probably my favorite of our six Camino walks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We walked it last October and loved it. Yes, there are a few big long hills and the Hospitales was tough on the way up but it was so worth it! I would definitely do it again. Do it...you won’t regret it. Buen Camino

Hello Dannboy. I walked the Primitivo as my first Camino at age 64 in September 2017. While I cannot compare it to other Caminos, I can say that it is very enjoyable and there are enough albergues that you don’t have to worry until you join the Camino Frances. It is a very hilly Camino but definitely doable for someone in good physical condition. I had trained for approximately 5 months by walking 4 to 5 days a week before leaving for Spain. My distances in training varied from 3 Km to 12 Km increasing as I was getting closer to leaving. I averaged 25 Km per day on the Camino and did not have any problems, except for sore knees which I expected since I had knee injuries playing sports when I was younger. I would say you should go for it.
Buen Camino
From a Canadien pilgrim

It is different for everybody and only you can know how far you want to walk each day. Without doubt, if you start at Ovideo then the first few days will feel tough. As many camino veterans know it's often around the 10 day mark, assuming you avoid getting blisters in the beginning, that you feel really ‘camino’ fit. There are some long ups and downs on the Primitivo, but in my opinion none are especially steep. However, I came from the Olvidado and the San Salvador so had climbed many very steep hills in the days before. You can see my personal opinion of my 8 days on the Primitivo here - https://mikesroaming.blogspot.com/2019/10/oviedo-to-sallas-48km.html
I don’t do any training before the camino, but I walk my dog a lot, play golf 3 times a week and try to run regularly! I’m 65½ with a hip replacement.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have walked it twice - last year and again this year in May - and I am 74. It is definitely harder than the CF but I credibly rewarding and quite manageabl. After Lugo it is a breeze. I can't wait to walk it again
Hi Jenny
May I ask how many days did it take between Oviedo and Melide? Would you have been able to keep to shorter stages if you wanted to? I’m considering Primitivo but I’m not interested in 30+ k days. Normally I like to keep in in the low 20s. If the terrain is quite difficult, even less. Asking you because of your age and can-do attitude.
Rachel

Hi Jenny
May I ask how many days did it take between Oviedo and Melide? Would you have been able to keep to shorter stages if you wanted to? I’m considering Primitivo but I’m not interested in 30+ k days. Normally I like to keep in in the low 20s. If the terrain is quite difficult, even less. Asking you because of your age and can-do attitude.
Rachel
Excepting the Hospitales portion, you can certainly adjust your walking to fit a shorter distance. The infrastructure around the Primitivo has been developed. After Lugo, the path is less mountainous...and ful of options.
Although hilly, the route is available to every relatively fit person, and quite beautiful

Excepting the Hospitales portion, you can certainly adjust your walking to fit a shorter distance. The infrastructure around the Primitivo has been developed. After Lugo, the path is less mountainous...and ful of options.
Although hilly, the route is available to every relatively fit person, and quite beautiful
Thanks for your quick response. Lots to think about.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.